Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ryan0991']
Are there any other games that are discounted, but haven't been a daily deal yet?[/QUOTE]

How about roughly 95% of all the games on steam that haven't been daily deals?

So my haul so far:
Plants vs Zombies (gifted to a younger cousin who is new to Steam) $3.39
Deus Ex: Game of the Year $2.49
Deus Ex: Invisible War $2.49
Terraria 4 Pack $7.49

Didn't pick up this sale but will down the road:
Batman Arkham Asylum Game of the Year $7.49
Fallout 3 Game of the Year $10.19

Probably will pick up tomorrow despite not being daily deals:
Penny Arcade Adventure Combo Pack $1.80
Stubbs the Zombie $2.49

Might pick up tomorrow despite not being daily deals:
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines $13.39

Are there any other gems we should look at before the sale ends?

[quote name='Doomtime']Wasn't Dawn of War II on sale the first day?[/QUOTE]Man, you almost gave me a heart attack, I thought I hadn't noticed it was a "franchise sale" and missed it! But no, according the Steam aggregate sites only Retribution was on sale, the others were all on the same 33% discount they are currently on. In other words, it was not a "franchise sale".

[quote name='Terlan']Any thoughts on Duke Nukem? I know its not a AAA polished title but steam forums is filled with tons of hate for it mostly. Is it fun? Does it have some laughs?[/QUOTE]

I got plenty of laughs from it and it's pure fun to be had. I don't come from a new generation but grew up playing the original Duke side-scrollers and later 3D. Duke Nukem Forever takes some of the same and mixes it with some of the different. I personally had a blast playing it and some of the boss fights are epic. There is a single player DLC due out in the near future (rumored to have a new weapon and 15 more levels).

Anyone here have an extra copy of Terreira I can grab? The group thread is a mess and the half dozen people I've messaged all fill up too damn quick lol

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm waiting for the folks to start flipping out who bought Terraria for $7.50 before today. I just bought a 4-pack for me and my friends for $7.50! :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah when I saw it on sale today, I wondered how many people outside of these forums are raging right now over buying it when the sale started :lol:

[quote name='Genocidal']Fear complete pack was a weekend/midweek deal right before the Summer Sale at $10... odds are slim we'll see it again this soon.[/QUOTE]Well the FEAR collection has been on sale for $10 since the sale started and still is, the guy looking for it obviously didn't search for it.

[quote name='PenguinJim']Only get X3: Terran Conflict. Every X game is essentially the same as the previous iteration but with incremental upgrades. Each new release makes its predecessor redundant.

X is great, though! Definitely get TC! :)[/QUOTE]
That's great, thanks! I'm still on the fence but knowing this makes it a bit more attractive.

[quote name='Sway']
Are there any other gems we should look at before the sale ends?[/QUOTE]
Personally, I grabbed the Paradox Fantasy Pack and Zen Bound 2, and had been waiting for an Oddboxx daily deal - which hasn't been forthcoming, so I'll get that! One of the devs on the forums has "promised" that the Oddbox games which will be HDified this year will upgrade on previous Steam owner versions for free.

Oh, and if you have Gratuitous Space Battles, I think I can recommend the $1.24 campaign DLC. I found the original GSB to be a little bit gratuitous for my tastes. They should have put a warning in the description somewhere. :/

On the fence on Portal 2... I have such a backlog that I don't know when I'll get around to playing everything. It may actually be Black Friday before I put a sizable dent in my backlog and this would be my most expensive purchase this entire sale by a good $15. Well, I still have a while to decide.

And can someone say why they love Terraria? I watched the trailer and it didn't really "Wow" me.

If I didn't already own all three seasons of Sam & Max I'd be all over this.

[quote name='PenguinJim']Personally, I grabbed the Paradox Fantasy Pack and Zen Bound 2, and had been waiting for an Oddboxx daily deal - which hasn't been forthcoming, so I'll get that! One of the devs on the forums has "promised" that the Oddbox games which will be HDified this year will upgrade on previous Steam owner versions for free.

Oh, and if you have Gratuitous Space Battles, I think I can recommend the $1.24 campaign DLC. I found the original GSB to be a little bit gratuitous for my tastes. They should have put a warning in the description somewhere. :/[/QUOTE]

Hmm, the Oddboxx for $5.09 seems like a really good deal, especially with that "promise". I'll have to do some research on the games before the sale ends. Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='Drizzt']Yeah when I saw it on sale today, I wondered how many people outside of these forums are raging right now over buying it when the sale started :lol:[/QUOTE]

Someone in the official Gaf thread just bought it last night, surprised no one warned him not to buy during a Summer Sale until the last day. Should be fun when he wakes up :)

Hitman Blood Money is right up there with SC:CT as one of the greatest games of all time. Do yourself a favor and buy it.

[quote name='lilman']Grabbed Universe Sandbox and SC Chaos Theory at the last minute. I would have loved to get SC Conviction as well, especially since it's Mac compatible, but I won't buy constant Internet drm.
[/QUOTE]
Conviction removed that DRM

[quote name='RollingSkull']I thought Terraria was dull as hell for whatever it's worth.[/QUOTE]

It could be. I figure $2.50 is worth finding out for myself since it's a game that's garnered so much attention. If I don't like it, I've spent more money on worse things before :lol:

[quote name='RollingSkull']I thought Terraria was dull as hell for whatever it's worth.[/QUOTE]

Thank you - I actually appreciate this. I didn't think much of Minecraft, and although I am tempted to bite on terraria for $1.88, I just don't think I'll enjoy it. Minecraft was neat for a bit, but I have limited gaming time, and open-ended games can suck all that time up and I never make progress on my backlog. Terraria just seems like more of the same. I would love to have had this game as a teenager, with gobs of free time.

[quote name='gcorlett']Thank you - I actually appreciate this. I didn't think much of Minecraft, and although I am tempted to bite on terraria for $1.88, I just don't think I'll enjoy it. Minecraft was neat for a bit, but I have limited gaming time, and open-ended games can suck all that time up and I never make progress on my backlog. Terraria just seems like more of the same. I would love to have had this game as a teenager, with gobs of free time.[/QUOTE]
I'm a giant manchild and even with infinite free time I still can't see myself doing anything in Terraria. Open ended games can be fun if the component gameplay is fun but I just see anything TO like in Terraria.

I thought I should mention that there is a X2/X3 pack for $2.74, so if you insist on getting more X games than just Terran Conflict you can for example get X2, X3 and X3:TC for $7.73 instead of the superbox if you don't want the first game and its expansion. Just throwing that out there.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Conviction removed that DRM[/QUOTE]Contrary to (apparently very) popular belief the DRM was never removed. It was however relaxed a bit for AC2 and Conviction, you now only need to be online when you launch the game, it will not kick you out if you lose connection while playing as it did before.

[quote name='Sway']Hmm, the Oddboxx for $5.09 seems like a really good deal, especially with that "promise". I'll have to do some research on the games before the sale ends. Thanks for the heads up.[/QUOTE]
One more I forgot, I picked Hacker Evolution: Untold up on the first day for $3.74: http://store.steampowered.com/app/70110/

Not everyone's cup of tea, I expect. ^^

Can anyone recommend me what to get? Okay so I'm thinking about either getting Portal 2 or the Valve complete pack. I already have the original Half-Life games(half-life, counter-strike, day of defeat, deathmatch classic, blue shift, opposing force, and ricochet) and Portal. I just don't know which to get. I really want Portal 2 but i'm also interested in the Left 4 Dead games as well as the half life 2 games.

[quote name='Ryan0991']Damn it!

Why won't they put Morrowind on sale?

:([/QUOTE]

It is on sale. $15 instead of $20. ;) Although I understand what you mean. Why isn't it a $5 daily deal, right?

I suspect the answer is that Morrowind has limited appeal in 2011, and people have to do a little work to get it running on modern machines, with their widescreen monitors and all. I expect some people have problems with their 64-bit Windows, like some do with Oblivion.

Selling Morrowind to people running Windows 7 and Vista invites a whole lot of support questions. To Valve and Bethesda, the juice may not be worth the squeeze.

Might see if I can get some friends into Terraria and just buy the 4 pack and gift them out. Also PAM looks like fun for $2.50. A little Carmageddon-ish, which is always an itch worth scratching.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Hitman Blood Money is right up there with SC:CT as one of the greatest games of all time. Do yourself a favor and buy it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I'll get it then.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Conviction removed that DRM[/QUOTE]
You're partially right. Found a list of Steam drm titles here:
http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/the-big-drm-list/
There is still drm for SC Conviction, it's an initial Internet authorization rather than requiring constant connection. That's still bunk to me so it wouldn't have changed my decision not to buy.

[quote name='Hunter_Silver']Can anyone recommend me what to get? Okay so I'm thinking about either getting Portal 2 or the Valve complete pack. I already have the original Half-Life games(half-life, counter-strike, day of defeat, deathmatch classic, blue shift, opposing force, and ricochet) and Portal. I just don't know which to get. I really want Portal 2 but i'm also interested in the Left 4 Dead games as well as the half life 2 games.[/QUOTE]
if you get the pack, youll be able to gift the others you got, though the games you got aren't worth much.

2 left 4 dead games on sale are 5 bucks each, so 10 bucks
portal is 25 bucks sale
counter strike source is 5 bucks (if you dont have the source version)
episode 1 and 2 are 2 bucks each sale
half life 2 was like 5 bucks on sale iirc
so the sale total would be
49 bucks if you bought them seperately on sale, so if youre really interested in the other games (both l4ds and great games) id get it complete

[quote name='gcorlett']It is on sale. $15 instead of $20. ;) Although I understand what you mean. Why isn't it a $5 daily deal, right?

I suspect the answer is that Morrowind has limited appeal in 2011, and people have to do a little work to get it running on modern machines, with their widescreen monitors and all. I expect some people have problems with their 64-bit Windows, like some do with Oblivion.

Selling Morrowind to people running Windows 7 and Vista invites a whole lot of support questions. To Valve and Bethesda, he juice may not be worth the squeeze.[/QUOTE]
From what I understand, they had it for $5 during last year's summer sale AND the holiday sale.

Yes... I somehow missed both of those.

Just went and grabbed Terraria @ 2.50. Didn't feel like saving 70~cents for the hassle of communicating a four pack. Yesterday I told myself that if Terraria hit $5 during this sale that I'd grab it. Considering it hit half of that, it was a snap choice to get it. Hooray!

[quote name='utopianmachine']Is there a way to see who gifted you a game? I'm trying to remember which game a friend gifted me.[/QUOTE]

Try this.

Go to your Community page in Steam. Click "Blotter Settings". uncheck everything except "Gets or Pre-purchases a new game." Click "Save" at the bottom. Now, click "my history."

You'll see every game you've bought. I'm not certain this will tell you who gifted to you, because I've never received a game before, so I can't really test it. But this is where I'd look.

That, or go through your email history looking for the notice from Steam.

If that doesn't work, Go to the menu bar in Steam, click "Steam", "Settings", then on the "Account" tab choose "View Account History" (upper right). This has an "acquisition method" for all of your games; that might tell you, too.

Good luck.

[quote name='Ryan0991']From what I understand, they had it for $5 during last year's summer sale AND the holiday sale.

Yes... I somehow missed both of those.[/QUOTE]

They did. I bought it for $4.99 on January 3, 2010. I made the mistake of selling my retail GOTY copy and game guide on ebay when I'd finished it, and was thrilled to get it on Steam for that price.

[quote name='Blackjack13']Thoughts on Prince of Persia? I've been meaning to pick it up on the 360, but never got around to it. Should I just pick it up now?[/QUOTE]
The whole series is worth it though the cel-shared 2009 reboot is kinda weak but still fun

I'm considering the Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum. What are people's thought on the pack, content, and mods? I liked Dragon Age: Origins, though Dragon Age II was okay (not terrible, but okay), love The Witcher 2, and dig older stuff like Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment.

Any thoughts on Surpreme Commander 2?

Going to try out neverwinter nights 2 and maybe surpreme commander.

Have to buy later because internet is acting up for me.

[quote name='TraBuch']Warning: Hitman runs like shit if you have an ATI card.[/QUOTE]

All of them run fine for me on my Radeon 4850...

[quote name='NeoGutsman']I'm considering the Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum. What are people's thought on the pack, content, and mods? I liked Dragon Age: Origins, though Dragon Age II was okay (not terrible, but okay), love The Witcher 2, and dig older stuff like Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment.[/QUOTE]

Considering you like games such as BG, DAO, etc., you will like NWN2 a lot. As someone mentioned earlier, NWN2 main game is pretty good, Mask of the Betrayer is almost more on the level of Planescape and Storm of Zehir plays almost exactly like the Icewind Dale series where you create your entire party. There are also a lot of great player created modules you can download along with mods you can add into the game to add more D&D 3.5 edition classes, prestige classes, rules, etc.

Here is a great place to find mods and add ons. Navigating around the site takes a little bit of getting used to however.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Articles.Detail&id=1

[quote name='RollingSkull']They raised the price of NWN2 Platinum! It was $10 before this sale. I'm sure of it![/QUOTE]

Are you sure you weren't confusing it with Neverwinter Nights Diamond over at GOG?

Anyone know how the older prince of persias control? I like using my 360 wired controller on the pc for for games like this. I'm sure the newer ones should work fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back