Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
YAHSS! Terraria finally goes DOD. I was thinking about hooking up with a few people for a 4-pack, but I've never done that before, do you usually paypal the money to each other? I dunno, I think it'd just be easier to buy it myself.

EDIT: I've decided to buy the 4-pack, but may gift to friends. If I have extra copies they don't want I'll offer them here later.

hmm i got terraria as a gift but i still wanna buy the 4 pack for some friends but it won't let me. Know a work around for this?

Just did my running tally and I'm at $44 so even with Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and Solar 2 tomorrow I'll still be at the cost of one full-price retail console game + tax. I love Steam sales.

[quote name='Viper45']I'd prefer to spend $27 on a pack of 3 Assassin's Creed games than spend $5 on Amnesia. It's called valuing the games you want, and it's something every CAG should do. If Amnesia was $2.50, I would have considered it.[/QUOTE]

Again, I feel bad for anyone who can consider a purchase at $2.50, but outright declines the same game at $5. Just seems odd to me, that's all.

Gave in and got Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands deluxe edition with Sands of Time. Now considering if I should get Warrior Within and Two Thrones, haven't played either of them. Only flaw is that only TT is in widescreen and with proper 360 controller support, the others can do those but with flaws.

Currently got this:

Heroes Pack: 6.24
Magicka DLC: 4.70
Torchlight 1,99
Defense Grid +DLC: 4.12
Singularity: 7.50
C&C3 3,00
Kane's Wrath 3,00
Lara Croft :GoL: 3.74
Beat Hazard Ultra: 2.49

Total of 36.78 euro. Comes down to $53,38 damn steam being more expensive for us Europeans. Mostly we get the exact same price in euro's as you ppl get in your cheap-ass dollars.

I might buy Terraria to see what the fuss is all about. Doesn't look very appealing but I've been hooked on stuff that look dull on first sight before. Maybe a 4-pack to play with some friends though... meh I still got some time to think about it.

Hopefully C&C3 and Company Of Heroes will be on resale tomorrow. I need to gift some copies to friends for our upcoming LAN party :p figured the games are so cheap I'll just force steam on to everyone involved :D

Picked up Terraria today, Worms Reloaded yesterday. Really wish I hadn't missed Jamestown. Tomorrow is the last day correct? I'm hoping they do the whole "repeat sales of the most popular stuff on the last day" thing again.

[quote name='KingofGames']I no longer feel bad for the developer. I feel bad for the dude with the $2.50 gaming budget.[/QUOTE]

I would worry about your ignorance and not other people's budgets.

[quote name='shosh']if you get the pack, youll be able to gift the others you got, though the games you got aren't worth much.
[/QUOTE]

This is incorrect. You can not gift-give any games in the Valve pack, whether you own them or not.

You're confusing the Valve Pack with the Orange Box, which has a handful of gift-able games. Only in very rare circumstances are games in packs gift-able, and it's made very clear in the product description.

[quote name='plutoknight']So...Sam and MAx complete pack is 12 bucks. Worth it?[/QUOTE]

If you like adventure games, then it's an unquestionable yes. 16 episodes for $12 bucks is a steal.

If you want to give the game a try to get familiar with the controls and such, you can download one of the episodes for free, although I would add the caveat that this episode is from the first season and controls in the second and third add some nice improvements (such as running).

[quote name='utopianmachine']Is there a way to see who gifted you a game? I'm trying to remember which game a friend gifted me.[/QUOTE]

In Steam:
Games > Manage Gifts and Guest Passes

This shows you everything you've gifted, everything that's been gifted to you, and any guest passes you have to give out.

[quote name='Cantatus']
In Steam:
Games > Manage Gifts and Guest Passes

This shows you everything you've gifted, everything that's been gifted to you, and any guest passes you have to give out.[/QUOTE]

I took a look at the page and while it shows you gifts and guest passes that you have to send/sent already to other people, it doesn't seem to show who gifted you something. Unless I am missing something in which case I would be more than happy to find out if it's possible to view this.

I've got two copies of Terraria available from my 4-pack. I live in WA (boo, tax!), so it's $2.05 for each. PM me if you want one.

Edit: These have been spoken for, thanks.

[quote name='lito88']hmm i got terraria as a gift but i still wanna buy the 4 pack for some friends but it won't let me. Know a work around for this?[/QUOTE]

Anyone? id like to get this asap

[quote name='Cybolt']I took a look at the page and while it shows you gifts and guest passes that you have to send/sent already to other people, it doesn't seem to show who gifted you something. Unless I am missing something in which case I would be more than happy to find out if it's possible to view this.[/QUOTE]

Huh... I could swear that used to show you gifts you'd received.

[quote name='lito88']Anyone? id like to get this asap[/QUOTE]

Can you purchase the 4-pack as a gift?

[quote name='Ryan0991']I was hoping that since Morrowind has actually been a part of the sale (it says "steam summer sale 2011" under it) that it meant that it would eventually be a daily deal.

Are there any other games that are discounted, but haven't been a daily deal yet?[/QUOTE]

Its not much of a deal, but I did notice today that Morrowwind - GOTY is on sale over at Direct2Drive for $12. Looks like its today only.

http://www.direct2drive.com/177/10591/product/Buy-Morrowind-Game-of-the-Year-Edition-Download

So the Terraria price went up to $5, and that's annoying. I was waiting to see if some of my friends might want to get it as I can't imagine I'd love it solo.

terraria price just got raised to $5. I was trying to find people to buy with me in a 4 pack in my dorm for the last hour x.x

Well.. looks like they lost a sale. At least 3 sales. $5 is not a good price point to buy and try.

Just checked my PayPal account to double check. I got it for $2.50 but it looks like Terraria is now $5 (50% off instead of 75%). Interesting.

[quote name='gcorlett']This is incorrect. You can not gift-give any games in the Valve pack, whether you own them or not.

You're confusing the Valve Pack with the Orange Box, which has a handful of gift-able games. Only in very rare circumstances are games in packs gift-able, and it's made very clear in the product description.[/QUOTE]
Users who own “Half-Life 2” and go on to purchase “The Orange Box” or the "Valve Complete Pack" will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2”.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656

You've got to be kidding me. I was game for Terraria at $2.50, but couldn't buy it until now. I pull it up... and the price is $5. No sale. Thanks for the annoyance, Steam.

damn, i was going to just get Terraria for $2.50 but now they raised the price...looks like i will be skipping...

Well, clinches it for me as well, no more Terraria purchase...

Good anyways, it looked dull to me, would have been buying it solely on others reviews.

My friend gifted me Terraria the first week it came out, so no need to buy :p. But I find it odd that steam increases the sale price halfway through the day...

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']I would worry about your ignorance and not other people's budgets.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my real question is why would someone pay double what they want to pay to buy a game? Answer: They must really want it, clearly the person did not REALLY want Amnesia. Once people have a lot of cheap games, they tend to pass on games that are being sold for double what they want to pay....just sensible really. There is always a next sale, and it is typically cheaper in said next sale.

[quote name='Terlan']$5 is still a steal for Terraria.[/QUOTE]

Not when it was a steal at 2.50 just five minutes ago. This along will stop people from buying it.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Huh, what day was that a daily deal? I must have missed it.[/QUOTE]
It wasn't during the summer sale. It was $5 on a daily deal leading up to the summer sale.

YES!! Terraria is a daily after all! Wait, they raised the price? It would be great if that was a hint for tomorrow, otherwise I'll wait despite what I said before.

I'll probably get NWN2 and the later two Hitman games. I'm trying to adhere to my "don't buy anything unless it's more than half off" rule.

slept in.. went to go eat... missed terraria by 5mins. arghh

anyone have extra copy off 4pack? PM me, my paypal's ready.

[quote name='Indignate']Not when it was a steal at 2.50 just five minutes ago. This along will stop people from buying it.[/QUOTE]

Sad thing is, a lot of people likely would've been happy with $5 being the original price of the sale and would've bought it. That's sort of what I was expecting it to be. Now that the price jumped $2.50, a lot of people who otherwise would've bought it are going to pass, because they know they could've gotten it cheaper if they had just bought it sooner. Makes me wonder how much the increase in price is really going to benefit them.

just reminding people that it is NOT Valve or "Steam" that sets the price of games but the developers or publishers. So blame the developers for the Terraria price raise (it happens to a game on every Steam sale). Its supply and demand, they wanted to see how much of the game would sell at 50% discount since at 75% the demand was crazy.

General It's been popular DOD's

Not too interested in Terraria but was gunna pick upa 4 pack anyways, bah had to go out for a while and bah a price jumps, too many people buying it?

like oil they ran out of 2.50 copies?
[quote name='bantheradio']Caved and bought Terraria.

Also ended up buying Fate of the World because I missed it during the daily deal.[/QUOTE]

Fate of the world was never a Daily though does have a ticket for it.
It's on my considering for tomorrow list, along with Project Freedom and some others.

[quote name='mattcube64']Arg!!! Was JUST about to pull the trigger on Terreria. That sucks!![/QUOTE]

the game was $2.50 at 75% discount and had a metacritic rating of 84. What was stopping you?

I thought that $2.50 / $7.50 pack sounded too good to be true, since most of the newer indie games have only been at most 50% off during this sale. So, I immediately bought extra copies for all my rl friends. I couldn't buy a 4-pack since I bought one at launch, and don't regret it.

Anyway, the pricing error was up for over 6 hours. This was plenty of time for anyone to pick it up. If you want it then just pick it up, because it won't be $2.50 or even $5 any time soon after this.

Yeah I'm not sure where to lay the blame here as it was a full five hours before the price correction kicked-in. If it happens within the first half-hour or so then it's almost always Valve that messed up but for Terraria to go for 75% off for that long makes me think that the developer had set some type of limit on sales at that price.

It's either that or Valve screwed up the pricing for far too long but either way the PR has turned and someone should just eat the possible mistake at this point.

[quote name='Cantatus']Sad thing is, a lot of people likely would've been happy with $5 being the original price of the sale and would've bought it. That's sort of what I was expecting it to be. Now that the price jumped $2.50, a lot of people who otherwise would've bought it are going to pass, because they know they could've gotten it cheaper if they had just bought it sooner. Makes me wonder how much the increase in price is really going to benefit them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah if it had started at $5 people would have been over joyed anyway. Yeah it sucks that the price went up but its still a great deal.

I noticed when I booted up steam in the ad box that pops up that it said Terraria was only 50% off... So I thought it had to be a mistake... I'm surprised it stayed 75% off like that as long as it did. Glad I got in on an early 4 pack ;)

I managed to get in on the $2.50 Terraria. I had just enough time to quickly check out the Steam sales, and just bought it as an impulse buy. I'll be trying it out soon.

WTfuckery... I put a 4-pack of terraria in my cart but got distracted. Now I come back and see they doubled the price. Yeah you know what? Screw you. No deal.

darn I had the games i wanted to buy in my cart, and the sale dissapeared on terraria. I guess I'll wait until they release more content and my friends are playing again.

Also fortunate to have grabbed Terraria before they adjusted the price. I was overjoyed to see it at 75% off, didn't even guess it might have been an error.

[quote name='DPsycho']Also fortunate to have grabbed Terraria before they adjusted the price. I was overjoyed to see it at 75% off, didn't even guess it might have been an error.[/QUOTE]
I'm not even convinced that it was an error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back