Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Which are the duplicate games in these packs which were already on sale @ black-friday? I already got all of those games, the only pack i didn't buy was the Puzzle Pack

Judging from the information from both the indie pack leaks and that the Oddbox is one of the daily deals when it comes out, the Christmas sale starts on the 20th and ends on 1st of January (12 indie packs plus BEST OF day).

[quote name='Rirse']Judging from the information from both the indie pack leaks and that the Oddbox is one of the daily deals when it comes out, the Christmas sale starts on the 20th and ends on 1st of January (12 indie packs plus BEST OF day).[/QUOTE]

Starts on the 20th and end on the 3rd if you want to believe the Oddworld developers.

http://www.oddworld.com/

The games will be released on Steam on the 20th of December, 2010.
IGN D2D, Stardock, Amazon, GamersGate and more, soon-to-be-announced retail download services, will also release Oddboxx, close to this release date.
The release of Oddboxx will also coincide with the first day of the Annual Steam Holiday Sale, meaning that during the first 24 hours of release, the game will be sold with 50% of its marked price discounted.

After this and until January 3rd, a 25% discount will apply to the marked price.
The Steam Holiday Sale runs from the 20th of December, through to January 3rd, as do the discounts above, exclusively through Steam.
Although the Oddboxx will be a generously-priced download that contains all four of these much-loved games, players can opt to buy the games individually.

I love these Steam sales. I figured out that if the Potato Pack goes for around the same discount as these other packs, between 82% and 92% (although only one pack is that low of a discount, most are 87%-91%), the price could range between $12.50 and $28.80. It seems reasonable we could see a $20-$25 price on this pack.

Obviously they don't have to use the same price reduction, but if they do, that would be an amazing pack I'd buy in a second.

Amnesia, Killing Floor, Super Meat Boy and The Ball would be almost worth it alone for a $20-$25 price.

[quote name='MSI Magus']This I can agree with. If they bundle a game they should then not sell it separate(Or vice versa).[/QUOTE]

There's a few games there that I would like to get and would be willing to pay $2 just to have that game as I either don't care for the rest of the pack/already own most of them. The infuriating thing that they should avoid doing is doing the game sale and the pack sale on different days. I wish they'd price it similarly to many of GoG's pack sales, where you get one price for the entire pack and slightly less discounted price for buying just what you want. That seems to be the best route to me.

Unfortunately, I don't see myself buying any of those indie packs (possibly the fright pack). Most of that packs that interest me I already own 3/5 games in them or the other games do not interest me at all. That Heavy Hitters pack is going to be a STEAL though.

EDIT: Oh nice! Already had 2/4 objectives for today and that puts me right at 15 for the TF2 hat unlock. Good stuff.

Isn't that flight control game originally from the iPhone/iPod Touch?

Also, I need 8 more friends for the 10 friends objective from the other day. Anybody want to add me so I can get my last of the 10 objectives for the contest?

Steam ID: jaredhenry13

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Isn't that flight control game originally from the iPhone/iPod Touch?

Also, I need 8 more friends for the 10 friends objective from the other day. Anybody want to add me so I can get my last of the 10 objectives for the contest?

Steam ID: jaredhenry[/QUOTE]

I'm sending a request now. Is that flight control HD any good?

[quote name='Commander0Zero']I'm sending a request now. Is that flight control HD any good?[/QUOTE]

Sorry my ID is jaredhenry13. My display name is jaredhenry.

I just cleaned out my friend list an lost the friends objective. Didn't think I would have to wait until it was all said and done. Oh well, I still have enough for second hat and the 100 games entry. Still going to pick up Flight Control HD.

The easy way to resolve the, "I wish they'd not pack games in" vs "I wish they'd not sell individually games they eventually put into packs in the same sale" problem is to give us digital copies of games we already own so we can resell those copies to recoup some of the cost of the pack.

But the whole point of digital distribution for the publisher/developer is to turn games into licenses and then deny us any resale rights. Hooray for progress.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']The easy way to resolve the, "I wish they'd not pack games in" vs "I wish they'd not sell individually games they eventually put into packs in the same sale" problem is to give us digital copies of games we already own so we can resell those copies to recoup some of the cost of the pack.

But the whole point of digital distribution for the publisher/developer is to turn games into licenses and then deny us any resale rights. Hooray for progress.[/QUOTE]

When you purchase a pack as a gift can you break the pack up and gift parts of it out? Or if you purchase the pack for yourself, they don't give you the options to gift the duplicates?

[quote name='kaply']When you purchase a pack as a gift can you break the pack up and gift parts of it out? Or if you purchase the pack for yourself, they don't give you the options to gift the duplicates?[/QUOTE]

If you purchase the pack to gift, you give the pack. Not individual games. If you purchase it for yourself, you're (most, if not close to all, of the time) not going to be able to gift any games that you already have.

I think the only game you can gift is Half-Life 2, but there might be a few others (Valve Only)

Definitely no Indie games. Luckily the 4 packs I plan on getting are all new games to me, no repeats. Brain, Fright, Future, and Kids...

The only dud in those packs is that kids horse game. I wish I could gift that one by itself as a joke to one of my buddies, lol :)

Hmm .. seems as if the Treasure Hunt ended not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Granted, the Holiday sales is nearly here ... just hoping for much more than the leaked Indie bundles ... no offense but a good 90% of Indie games are absolutely terrible ... just saying ...

I already have Braid, Machinarium, and Osmos but I donated $10. I've played the demo for Revenge of the Titans before and it seems really cool.

[youtube]MVRnXGbISS4[/youtube][youtube]u-ZwIKZzeQU[/youtube]

Objectives for 12/18-12/19
  • Suggestive Behavior - Write a recommendation
  • Made in the USA - Become a Founding Father in Empire: Total War
  • Buzz the Tower - Set a leaderboard score of at least 37 for 'Beach' in Flight Control HD
  • Overachiever - Played at least 15 games or demos since March 2009 (When Steam began recording playtime)

Sales for 12/18-12/19

[quote name='sp8001']The only dud in those packs is that kids horse game. I wish I could gift that one by itself as a joke to one of my buddies, lol :)[/QUOTE]

Oh, man, that game surprised the crap out of me. I saw the title and was like, "Oh, that sounds good." Clicked the game in Steam and my jaw practically dropped.

[quote name='sp8001']

The only dud in those packs is that kids horse game. I wish I could gift that one by itself as a joke to one of my buddies, lol :)[/QUOTE]

I bought it for myself and gifted it as soon as it was released; just for that reason.

[quote name='forbiddenx']YES! Picked up flight control HD. Been waiting for this for ever, contemplated a few times for getting it for $5.[/QUOTE]

ditto

[quote name='etcrane']Hmm .. seems as if the Treasure Hunt ended not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Granted, the Holiday sales is nearly here ... just hoping for much more than the leaked Indie bundles ... no offense but a good 90% of Indie games are absolutely terrible ... just saying ...[/QUOTE]

Even though I'm sure you don't have any actual numbers to back that up, claiming that 1 out of every 10 indie games is worth a damn is just ignorant.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Isn't that flight control game originally from the iPhone/iPod Touch?

Steam ID: jaredhenry13[/QUOTE]

Sending a request to ya now! My SteamID is "NeoGutsman". Hope that helps ya!

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Even though I'm sure you don't have any actual numbers to back that up, claiming that 1 out of every 10 indie games is worth a damn is just ignorant.[/QUOTE]

Why does he need numbers to back it up? It's an opinion, one that I likely share. There are very few indie titles I have ever liked. Of all of the Indie games I have purchased over the last two years, which is in the range 25-30, I've only liked Audiosurf, World of Goo and Beat Hazard. Most Indie games just don't cut the mustard. Going by my ratio, about 9 out of every 10 I have purchased have been duds.

I know this isn't the exact right place to ask, but seems easier to get an answer here. I just downloaded the Goldeneye Source Mod, is there a way to add it on its own to my game library or something to launch from within Steam? I like having everything organized that way and will be sad if there isn't some way to do so.

None of these Indie packs interest me in the least. I own a lot of the games and I can't see the point in adding more indie games to my trash heap.

I sure hope they have a sale on Resident Evil 5, NBA 2k11, Deadrising 2 and a few other games I've been holding out on.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Mass Effect 2 for $5. They had ME1 for $5 during last years sale. So I'm hoping for that too.

I know it's a long shot but I'd love to see COD: MW1 for $5-$7.50 as well. I had it awhile ago but got rid of it on goozex and now I kinda wish I had it back. So if it's on sale for a good price I'd make the buy.

[quote name='contej85']I know this isn't the exact right place to ask, but seems easier to get an answer here. I just downloaded the Goldeneye Source Mod, is there a way to add it on its own to my game library or something to launch from within Steam? I like having everything organized that way and will be sad if there isn't some way to do so.[/QUOTE]

Post # 2 of this thread will take care of you.

I also disagree with Etcrane and Avwjase. There are certainly bad and pointless indie games, but I own at least 20 that I love.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Even though I'm sure you don't have any actual numbers to back that up, claiming that 1 out of every 10 indie games is worth a damn is just ignorant.[/QUOTE]

Well, consider that you never hear about 1/2 the Indie games that are being worked on. Then factor in that you get another percentage that are higher profile but just plain bizarre and not fun to play (The Path ... I'm looking at you). Finally you get the high profile, highly praised games that simply aren't that fun to play (Braid ... yeah, everyone loved you ... except me ... you were alright). And basically I have found that yes, approximately 1 out of every 10 Indie games I've played have actually been games I would say I enjoyed. I realize that Indie devs can go on to do great things in mainstream gaming and that some Indie titles are fantastic (Minecraft comes to mind) ... but most Indie games are simply terrible and that's including the ones I will never hear about because I'm not as into the Indie game scene as some people are. I've played enough Indie games to know though, that many of them are disappointing and not all that great, even some that do receive praise from all sorts of reviews. Go ahead and disagree if you like, but Indie games simply don't do much for me in general.

I think this debate is largely one of expectations. Out of the indie games listed and almost all of the ones in these bundles and the last ones they are all potentially great games.

However, some people don't like certain music, books, or media; the same goes for games. I think people have this expectation that if something is a good game it should transcend this but that isn't always the case. If you don't like strategy games you wont like total war. If you don't like puzzle games you wont like chime. Finally if you like games with huge production values and money thrown at them, you wont like indie games, etc. Indie games are often about experimentation and new ideas. These are things that larger developers just can't afford to do and risk not recouping their cost.

Personally I've picked up the vast majority of these indie games for less than a few bucks. If they give me even an hour of entertainment, I am satisfied. If they don't then it was a dollar and I'm over it. It's more than I can say for many $60 games as of late.

It's interesting because with consoles these types of games are rarely compared to your CoDs, Fallouts, Starcrafts, etc. There is a distinguisment between retail disc-based games and downloadable games. If you get 5 hours out of a XBLA game people are happy but retail they are not. On PC since things tend to drop so fast and everything is available as DLC this doesn't work and people end up comparing titles even when they shouldn't be placed in the same realm. It's like comparing a high school sports player to a college or pro player.

[quote name='avwjase']
I sure hope they have a sale on Resident Evil 5, NBA 2k11, Deadrising 2 and a few other games I've been holding out on.
[/QUOTE]

I've never seen their NBA games go on sale, only the MLB ones. At the beginning of the season it was just a few dollars and for a bit in November it was .99c for MLB 2k10.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']And so the sale comes to a close. I found that this sale and their Black Friday Sale left a lot to be desired.[/QUOTE]

I won't presume to tell Steam what they should put on sale, but what pissed me off about the BF sale was that a lot of the same games were on sale last year.

I love Steam sales, but it seems like there's hardly ever any fresh blood.

[quote name='jwbrown77']I won't presume to tell Steam what they should put on sale, but what pissed me off about the BF sale was that a lot of the same games were on sale last year.

I love Steam sales, but it seems like there's hardly ever any fresh blood.[/QUOTE]

My sentiment EXACTLY! :applause:

No fresh blood? Flight Control HD just came out like a month or two ago and it's half off right now. That's fresh enough for me!

So yeah, despite being a dirty 'indie' game, Flight Control is really fun. You just draw lines to direct incoming aircraft to the proper color-coded runways. But eventually there's tons of aircraft coming in and it's quite challenging to avoid collisions.

The only complaint I have that you could blame on its indie nature is the music. There is only one song and it gets old before you've finished your first level. This crazy friend of mine praised it at first, but he eventually recanted. Thankfully it's not too hard to just turn the music off and play something with a separate music program.

According to Oddworld Inhabitants (http://www.oddworld.com/?p=292):

"The games will be released on Steam on the 20th of December, 2010.

IGN D2D, Stardock, Amazon, GamersGate and more, soon-to-be-announced retail download services, will also release Oddboxx, close to this release date.

The release of Oddboxx will also coincide with the first day of the Annual Steam Holiday Sale, meaning that during the first 24 hours of release, the game will be sold with 50% of its marked price discounted.

After this and until January 3rd, a 25% discount will apply to the marked price.

The Steam Holiday Sale runs from the 20th of December, through to January 3rd, as do the discounts above, exclusively through Steam."

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Wait so the title is updated to say the Christmas sale starts today. Can we get that confirmed with a link or something?[/QUOTE]

12/20 is Monday, not today. But today is the last day of the Treasure Hunt. Plus if I post it, it must be true. :)

[quote name='eastx']12/20 is Monday, not today. But today is the last day of the Treasure Hunt. Plus if I post it, it must be true. :)[/QUOTE]
Ahh yes. I must be getting too excited :lol:

[quote name='avwjase']None of these Indie packs interest me in the least. I own a lot of the games and I can't see the point in adding more indie games to my trash heap.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Mass Effect 2 for $5. They had ME1 for $5 during last years sale. So I'm hoping for that too.

I know it's a long shot but I'd love to see COD: MW1 for $5-$7.50 as well. I had it awhile ago but got rid of it on goozex and now I kinda wish I had it back. So if it's on sale for a good price I'd make the buy.[/QUOTE]

I like the way you say the indy games just go on the trash heap but then go on to say you want a sports game, a game that did not live up to its sequel and a game that was too close to its sequel when it desperately needed modernization. A lot of the indy games coming out today are just as good as the big name stuff and besides that you hardly picked 3 of the best mainstream titles......

Edit - And again I agree with others that the biggest problem with Steam sales right now is that there are too many repeats. Every sale Valve puts their own games on sale and then there are usually a few other staples like Nation Red, Borderlands and Bioshock. It is getting kind of old....

Just played a little Team Fortress 2, with my hat of undeniable wealth! I'm not even a big TF2 player, I have barely touched it. I just had fun with the hunt.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I like the way you say the indy games just go on the trash heap but then go on to say you want a sports game, a game that did not live up to its sequel and a game that was too close to its sequel when it desperately needed modernization. A lot of the indy games coming out today are just as good as the big name stuff and besides that you hardly picked 3 of the best mainstream titles......[/QUOTE]

You realize what's good or not is all a matter of opinion, right?

There's no need to get so defensive over someone saying he doesn't enjoy Indie games.

[quote name='orcishlad']You realize what's good or not is all a matter of opinion, right?

There's no need to get so defensive over someone saying he doesn't enjoy Indie games.[/QUOTE]

This guy gets it. I don't begrudge people their Indie games or sales. I buy a lot of them when they are super cheap myself. I just find that most of them do very little for me. At the end of the day, I find that my opinion is all that matters to me when it comes to what I wish to play and spend my time on. So I couldn't really care less what the guys opinion is on Indie games. Good for him if he enjoys them, we should get the guy a medal apparently so he feels important. :lol:

[quote name='mgford11']I've never seen their NBA games go on sale, only the MLB ones. At the beginning of the season it was just a few dollars and for a bit in November it was .99c for MLB 2k10.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, which is why I am hoping for a sale on them. I don't own any basketball game on PC so I'd welcome a sale on NBA 2k11 (or 2k10 for that matter). I'd just like to see a deal on a basketball game so I could have one. I do get the desire to play a basketball game from time to time (just like football and baseball). So it's not something I'm willing to spend a lot of money on because it's not a game I'll play a ton but if they have a good sale on it, it'd be worth just having around for that rare weekend I'd like to play a hoops game. Like, say, after watching a crazy good Celtics vs Knicks game. :p

My point was really that calling something terrible is hugely different (IMO) from saying one doesn't like it/it isn't for them. That's an objective vs subjective argument to me. I may not be a big fan of World of Goo but I certainly won't call it terrible just because I don't really enjoy it.

Anyway, yay, Holiday Sale tomorrow!

[quote name='radioactivez0r']My point was really that calling something terrible is hugely different (IMO) from saying one doesn't like it/it isn't for them. That's an objective vs subjective argument to me. I may not be a big fan of World of Goo but I certainly won't call it terrible just because I don't really enjoy it.

Anyway, yay, Holiday Sale tomorrow![/QUOTE]

Exactly. There are plenty of games I dislike but I try not to call them trash or insult them based just on the fact that I dislike them. What should(but sadly rarely does)separate Adults an Children is the abilty to put your own feelings aside. As an adult if we went to a party and someone tried to serve us cabbage and we hate cabbage we dont call it poopy or stupid or crap, we just say sorry I dont like cabbage. For some reason though when talking about entertainment media people become 5 year olds again and insult anything they dislike.

If a game is good it is not hard to see the inherent quality regardless of love or hate for that game. I hate Braid, but I can still see its a quality game. Same with any co op heavy game such as RE5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back