Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='EliotAndrews']As hassle-free as that is, I find that the extra effort of finding a group is worth the additional $1 or so off.

Surely, the simple act of buying and downloading is nice, but one cannot refute the idea of saving extra money through some additional communication.

There's a reason I frequent this place.[/QUOTE]

This. I had a lot of fun, and met a lot of new Steam friends via the give/get packs.

[quote name='djfp']This. I had a lot of fun, and met a lot of new Steam friends via the give/get packs.[/QUOTE]

:grouphug:

edit:THQ pack is $50

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Some stuff is coming up early: Square Complete Pack for $74.99 (88% off)
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6931/[/QUOTE]

Not saying that is a bad price or anything, but I just love how 88% off means it is 88% off the price they have never and will never charge for it. So the the % off what they usually sell that bundle at is so much lower.

Also the THQ bundle is already on sale for a surprising and wholly not usual price of $49.99.

Seeing the Square-Enix pack makes me so giddy. I already own all the games I want out of that pack, I'm just excited that there'll be massive sales on everything in only an half hour.

argh...

i'm going to end up getting that squaresoft pack anyways even though i have a lot of the newer good games on it that i bought in the past few months (calculated i spent $40 on that stuff already)...

batman aa
dues ex
just cause 2
kane and lynch 2
lara croft and guardian of light
supreme commander 2

going to get the thq pack finally too (i bet i own half of those games too, but i need metro 2033 and some others)

when does steam usually post their sales? 10am pac?

The problem with the Square Enix pack(and many of the other big dev/pub packs)is that even if marked down a huge % they are overcharging for most of the games individually. Look at Last Remnant which you can find for under $10 used now or $15 used easily enough...they are charging $40 for it! I brought this issue up last year as one of the biggest problems with digital distribution. With DD you should always be able to get a copy of a game for at least on par with the used price of a game...yet far too frequently you can get brand new store bought copies for cheaper then the DD copy. Why would anyone pay $30 for the Steam or PSN/XBL versions of a game like Batman or Infamous whenever they can pick up a hard copy for half the price?

[quote name='frpilot']argh...

i'm going to end up getting that squaresoft pack anyways even though i have a lot of the newer good games on it that i bought in the past few months (calculated i spent $40 on that stuff already)...

batman aa
dues ex
just cause 2
kane and lynch 2
lara croft and guardian of light
supreme commander 2

going to get the thq pack finally too (i bet i own half of those games too, but i need metro 2033 and some others)

when does steam usually post their sales? 10am pac?[/QUOTE]
Yea should be 10 Pacific if it is like 90% of their other sales over the years.

I'm so excited but I have to leave my house like right around 1PM...hopefully they don't sell out of stuff like they did to Bioshock last year lol. and people, feel free to add me: Octocamo

[quote name='Kaltic']Not saying that is a bad price or anything, but I just love how 88% off means it is 88% off the price they have never and will never charge for it. So the the % off what they usually sell that bundle at is so much lower.
[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. I'd never pay anything near those normal prices and most of the items in the pack are things I'd never consider buying anyway, so most of the "everything from this company" bundles don't really make sense for me, especially since I've probably already bought the things I really wanted.

I do like the way that GOG does these kinds of bundles where if you buy the entire pack you get 50% off each item or 30% if you only buy selected individual items, but if you already own some items you still get the 50% off the remaining items without having to pay for dups of things you already have.

wish i knew about the square pack or any other packs... now i'm debating if i should wait years until they add/make newer games.

how often do they update packages? i recall thq pack added metro 2033 recently (good thing i only started using steam in the last 6 months and didn't buy all those games too)

The packs generally get updated as the games release or soon after. (depends on the publisher's willingness to include new games)

What is rad about the packs is that they sometimes have games which can't be bought on Steam otherwise.

[quote name='MSI Magus']The problem with the Square Enix pack(and many of the other big dev/pub packs)is that even if marked down a huge % they are overcharging for most of the games individually. Look at Last Remnant which you can find for under $10 used now or $15 used easily enough...[/QUOTE]

Last Remnant is a bad example it is hard to find new and a used copy is nothing more that something to put on your shelf (requires Steam).

I agree that the discount from the cumulative price often looks more impressive than it is. So just divide package price the by the number of games that you actually want and ask, "is it worth it."

[quote name='DarkonJohn']
I do like the way that GOG does these kinds of bundles where if you buy the entire pack you get 50% off each item or 30% if you only buy selected individual items, but if you already own some items you still get the 50% off the remaining items without having to pay for dups of things you already have.[/QUOTE]
+1111!!11!1

I have a feeling that a lot of the games on sale I wont be buying. I have either bought a large portion of the packs before or have enough of the games where the pack doesn't make sense. Hopefully I can come up with some though. Fallout 3 GOTY for like $10-$15 would be nice

looking for bestheta pack for fallout 3 goty too..

i think i'm going to easily spend $200 during this christmas sale if they have a few packs up.

I'm with ya JP and I'm happy that my past Steam sale addiction garners me a bit of immunity to awesome new deals.

But The Oddboxx...The Oddboxx is MINE very soon!

Remember boys and girls = if a pack's price looks insanely low then buy it ASAP as Steam is known for silly mistakes which end in you saving assloads.

Fallout 3 GOTY: $20.09 (33% off)
Mass Effect 1: $15 (25% off)
Mass Effect 2: $15 (25% off)

All three I'm looking to pick up, but they'll be cheaper, I'm sure.

super meat boy for $3.75

edit: moojuice beat me to it

i 100+%'d the xbox live version... but kind of want to pick this up for the user generated levels...

[quote name='solisnk']I'm so excited but I have to leave my house like right around 1PM...hopefully they don't sell out of stuff like they did to Bioshock last year lol. and people, feel free to add me: Octocamo[/QUOTE]

They can run out of digital content?

blech. I figured there was going to primarily be "package" deals in this sale. Hopefully those aren't the only ones on sale today.

This is in regards to Loomis1975's post

I'm definitely sticking to my policy of last year. Anything that isn't a daily special, I'm waiting until the end to purchase it.

[quote name='utopianmachine']They can run out of digital content?[/QUOTE]

Yes, could be something as complicated as an agreement with a publisher or as simple as lack of activation codes.

I been sitting here refreshing the special page (yeah I that bored) and it has been a crazy sight. All the odd listings and changes. It just said there was 401 specials. Maybe right but sounds outrageous

Its up to 1025 now, but its listing every item in each pack now I think. And hopefully them some.

It is interesting watching rollouts of big events on websites.

Super Meat Boy for $3....I feel like kicking in the head those of you that told me to pre order it for $10 because the developer behind SMB does not do sales.

[quote name='solisnk']They ran out of cd keys for bioshock for like a day lol.[/QUOTE]

They ran out of keys for Prey, Bioshock replaced Prey as a daily deal during the Holiday sale last year.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Super Meat Boy for $3....I feel like kicking in the head those of you that told me to pre order it for $10 because the developer behind SMB does not do sales.[/QUOTE]
I ALMOST believed them. I don't think anyone predicted a price THAT lot. SCHWING!

Crossing my fingers that Dragon Age Origins Ultimate makes it to a daily deal because I was hoping for something along the lines of when Impulse had it for 50% off.

Edit: Oh Jeebus, PB Winterbottom for 50 cents.

[quote name='utopianmachine']They can run out of digital content?[/QUOTE]

They can run out of keys (even digital games need a unique key). And they have ran out various times.

Why the hell don't they have a banner ad with all the sales listed on that page? It's so hard to navigate the sales by just looking at the specials page.

Is the sale actually listed someplace or is it just slowly adding new stuff? Last year there was like one nice page that showed everything on sale where this year it seems to just be headlines with a few random games.

I NEED to know how much the friggin potato pack is.

I havent been this excited about a sale since the very first insane 5 dollar Circuit City like 6 or 7 years ago.

Ive held off buying almost every game I wanted all year. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yeah, I want a special page as well. Like previous sales. Probably just slowing rolling stuff out. Been watching my wishlist and it's going to be very hard to wait and find daily specials. Dear lord.

So far here's what I see that I want:
ArmA II Combined Ops - $30.14
Dead Rising 2 - $26.79
F1 2010 - $19.99
Sid Meier's Railroads - $2.49
K&L2: 9.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back