Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Things I'm getting now:
Deus Ex Collection
Indie 2D Pack
Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Super Meat Boy

Things I'm considering for the future:
Indie Fantasy, Future Packs
UFO Extraterrestrials Gold (On sale for $4.99 now, but I'll see if they knock the price down further for a daily deal)
Zeno Clash
Shank
Blue Toad Murder Files (On sale for $9.99 now)

Was going to bite on the valve complete pack I own most of the games in it, but I wanted to finish up the collection. Can't justify 50 bucks on it tho.

[quote name='SamusXtreme']All these amazing deals and Recettear, the only game I care about, will either be a daily deal or won't be on-sale at all.

I hate you, Steam.

Guess I'll have to settle for Super Meat Boy.
[/QUOTE]

Its 50% off now. Go buy it :p

Anyone know any other good 2D platformers except for Braid, Super Meat Boy and VVVVVV? Any other recommendations for good Indie games you think I might like would be good too.=]

[quote name='sK1LLzk1LLz']Anyone know any other good 2D platformers except for Braid, Super Meat Boy and VVVVVV? Any other recommendations for good Indie games you think I might like would be good too.=][/QUOTE]

Trine. Buy it.

WORST SALE EVER!

Massive server issues, valve raising the price of the collection, sale prices being removed all together ie. civ 5.

What a joke.

[quote name='sK1LLzk1LLz']Anyone know any other good 2D platformers except for Braid, Super Meat Boy and VVVVVV? Any other recommendations for good Indie games you think I might like would be good too.=][/QUOTE]

PB winterbottom. And its only $.49

Finally made my choices...

Winterbottom
0.49 USD
Titan Quest Gold
4.99 USD
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
6.24 USD
Super Meat Boy
3.75 USD
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition
6.79 USD

Haven't played any of them yet, so I

anyone know if saves from a vanilla, dvd copy of Fallout 3 will work with FO3GOTY from Steam?

I finished the game literally last night this morning and already started eyeing up the DLC packs.

also , is it still GFWL or pure Steam(steam achievements and such)

[quote name='smoger']anyone know if saves from a vanilla, dvd copy of Fallout 3 will work with FO3GOTY from Steam?

I finished the game literally last night this morning and already started eyeing up the DLC packs.

also , is it still GFWL or pure Steam(steam achievements and such)[/QUOTE]

If I were to guess I would say that they would work, seeing as how fallout 3 is not a steam cloud game, but I can't find any evidence to back me up. As for GFWL, yes, it is still there, and you still have to use it.

I know it was briefly mentioned but does anyone have a source on whether or not the HD remakes of oddworld will be included with the oddbox later?

[quote name='smoger']anyone know if saves from a vanilla, dvd copy of Fallout 3 will work with FO3GOTY from Steam?

also , is it still GFWL or pure Steam(steam achievements and such)[/QUOTE]

For the first question, if you buy the GOTY it won't matter for the disc version, as it has both main game and dlc for that price. I had disc vanilla game before I bought the GOTY, but I didn't have it installed so I don't know how that works. My guess is you'll have to uninstall the vanilla disc version and then just install the GOTY from Steam and be all set (could probably even sell/give the disc if you wanted to). And it is still GFWL, steam achievements is FNV.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Trine is more puzzle then platforming.....and IMO horribly overrated.[/QUOTE]

I concur, somehow can't bring myself to finish up this game. It's got a shiny coat of graphics to it, but it's all so miniaturized. I think I've been fighting skeletons for the first 4 or 5 stages before I stopped playing. The solutions to puzzles can be done in a variety of ways, however the one extra ability that I've seen that contributes to puzzles was an ability for another character, warrior, was basically a duplicate of something the mage starts out with. (referring to the warrior's ability to punt blocks and the mage's ability to move blocks). So basically went through an intro level, then one formal level, and then 3 repeats of that first level with what I felt was minor changes. Not enough of a change for my tastes and I there's no sense of anticipation to see what comes up in the next level.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Trine is more puzzle then platforming.....and IMO horribly overrated.[/QUOTE]

Not really, there are some puzzle aspects to it, but you do plenty of platforming. I consider jumping on ledges and swinging across gaps platforming, of which there is plenty in Trine.

Sorry you don't like it much.

Man, I really want to bite on Fallout 3 GOTY's daily deal, but I really need to save money this week. The ongoing $25 off isn't too shabby, so maybe next week.

I did get the Winterbottom game and the Oddworld pack, though. ~$14 for me total since I have to pay WA tax.

I know it'll go down in the future, but I had to pick up the Oddworld Oddboxx, for Munch's Oddyssee, and Stranger's Wrath. I also got Battlefield BC 2, Top Gun, MLB 2K10, Lego Batman, Caster, and Magnetis. Steam really should wait until January 2 to start this sale. At least I'd have another paycheck between Christmas and the start of the sale...

[quote name='elebit12']WORST SALE EVER!

Massive server issues, valve raising the price of the collection, sale prices being removed all together ie. civ 5.

What a joke.[/QUOTE]

Quit whining.

[quote name='baz8771']If I were to guess I would say that they would work, seeing as how fallout 3 is not a steam cloud game, but I can't find any evidence to back me up. As for GFWL, yes, it is still there, and you still have to use it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jugglenaut']For the first question, if you buy the GOTY it won't matter for the disc version, as it has both main game and dlc for that price. I had disc vanilla game before I bought the GOTY, but I didn't have it installed so I don't know how that works. My guess is you'll have to uninstall the vanilla disc version and then just install the GOTY from Steam and be all set (could probably even sell/give the disc if you wanted to). And it is still GFWL, steam achievements is FNV.[/QUOTE]

Thanks fellas.

Jugglenaut: To clarify a bit, I wasn't thinking of using the Steam DLC content with the disc version of the game, I just wanted to verify that my save from that version will work.

Plan would be to get the GOTY and then trade/gift/sell my DVD copy. (from what I can tell, the 5 dlc packs seperately would cost me $30 minimum - save $10 and end up with an extra copy of the game)

[quote name='pROvIs']PB winterbottom. And its only $.49[/QUOTE]

I just bought that game. Its quite charming, especially for $.49. And it has gamepad support, which feels much more natural.

[quote name='hellhunde']Quit whining.[/QUOTE]

I do not think he is whining considering this sale has been live for 3 or 4 hours and is still not working properly.

[quote name='pROvIs']I know it was briefly mentioned but does anyone have a source on whether or not the HD remakes of oddworld will be included with the oddbox later?[/QUOTE]

The only Oddworld game getting any sort of upgrades anywhere is Stranger's Wrath. It's going to be released on PS3, as a downloadable game, with some updated character models and effects and remastered sound, but the graphics aren't being redone from scratch or anything, especially not the environments.

They've said they'd like to port the upgrades from the PS3 version of Stranger to the PC version, when it's actually done and if it's actually technically possible, but they haven't made any promises. You shouldn't make any purchasing decisions based on it.

None of the other games are getting remade or upgraded in any way.

Alright, I bit on SMB. Still pondering the OddBoxx, and 1 or more of the PoP games. (Sands of Time, and Self-Titled would be the two I'd get, if I got any...)

I picked up Bad Company 2, PoP: The Forgotten Sands Deluxe (includes Sands of Time), PoP: The Warrior Within, and PoP: Two Thrones for $19.26.

I think I will resist buying any more stuff and wait for the daily deals.

[quote name='smoger']Thanks fellas.

Jugglenaut: To clarify a bit, I wasn't thinking of using the Steam DLC content with the disc version of the game, I just wanted to verify that my save from that version will work.

Plan would be to get the GOTY and then trade/gift/sell my DVD copy. (from what I can tell, the 5 dlc packs seperately would cost me $30 minimum - save $10 and end up with an extra copy of the game)[/QUOTE]

Oh, sorry I misread. I just remembered that my saves did carry over. I guess the only thing is to make sure the saves don't get lost during uninstall.

[quote name='smoger']Thanks fellas.

Plan would be to get the GOTY and then trade/gift/sell my DVD copy. (from what I can tell, the 5 dlc packs seperately would cost me $30 minimum - save $10 and end up with an extra copy of the game)[/QUOTE]

Yes it does.

I did exactly what you were talking about. I uninstalled the original but left the save and I booted up the Steam version and it loaded just where I had left off. I had also backed up the save just in case. I gave my old copy to a friend with the new GFW ID since it used my old serial and had all the DLC registered.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I do not think he is whining considering this sale has been live for 3 or 4 hours and is still not working properly.[/QUOTE]

Its a little slow, but its not like its not functional. Everything's up and running and other than the daily deals (which still have 21 hours to go), there's no hurry. There's a reason they launch these deals mid-day and mid-week. It gives them time to iron out the kinks.

[quote name='jatan11t'][quote name='SamusXtreme'][...]Me want Recettear[...][/quote]Its 50% off now. Go buy it :p[/QUOTE]

I- I'm so happy. I'm sorry for the nasty things I said about you, Steam. You were just waiting to surprise me.

I know what I'm getting on the last day of the sale.

On the the upside, this got me to buy SMB.

[quote name='jatan11t'][quote name='SamusXtreme'][...] Me want Recettear [...][/quote]Its 50% off now. Go buy it :p[/QUOTE]

I- I'm so happy. I'm sorry for the nasty things I said about you, Steam. You were just waiting to surprise me.

I know what I'm getting on the last day of the sale.

On the the upside, this got me to buy SMB.

[quote name='Otimus']Anyone have any idea how a 9800GTX+ and an E8400, and 2GB of RAM on Windows 7 64-bit will handle BC2?

I remember playing the beta back when I had an 8800GT, and it was kind of sluggish.[/QUOTE]

I just recently upgraded to a 5850 which runs it at all maxed settings fine, but I was playing it since release with a 8800GT. The engine in beta was sluggish compared to what it is now. Of course you won't be running max with it but the difference between medium settings with a high texture (what I ran my 8800) didn't less the experience of awesome game play for me.

TLDR: It will run fine at medium settings at 1920x1200

[quote name='kerv4005']Can already-on-sale items get even lower during daily deals? i.e. Mass effect 2[/QUOTE]

Yes it's possible. That's why you do not buy anything until the last day of the sale unless it's a daily deal.

Kinda sucks, I feel compelled to buy BFBC2 Vietnam and the spec ops pack now that I bought the base game. This whole sale is nothing but a trick to make me spend money!

I'm so glad I got in on the $25 Valve Complete Pack before they raised the price. I only had two of the games since I'm new to PC games, so the deal was amazing. I'm still looking at the new Prince of Persia, as well as some of the indie packs.

[quote name='hellhunde']Its a little slow, but its not like its not functional. Everything's up and running and other than the daily deals (which still have 21 hours to go), there's no hurry. There's a reason they launch these deals mid-day and mid-week. It gives them time to iron out the kinks.[/QUOTE]

Ummmm no, no it is not all up and running. Untill just a few minutes ago half the indy packs were not possible to click on and now while most are fixed a few still can not be clicked on.

Edit - Looks like the indy packs are finally working.

Bought:

Super Meat Boy
Deus Ex Collection
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands - Digital Deluxe Edition

Total was $30.99 plus tax (since I live in Washington)

Not too shabby. Hoping for a daily deal on Mass Effect 2

[quote name='hellhunde']Its a little slow, but its not like its not functional. Everything's up and running and other than the daily deals (which still have 21 hours to go), there's no hurry. There's a reason they launch these deals mid-day and mid-week. It gives them time to iron out the kinks.[/QUOTE]

My post was more than justified. I had the valve collection in my cart for $25, and then the server became non-responsive while I was shopping for more games. Next time I was able to connect it's gone from my cart and the price has been raised to $50.

Just be quiet if you have nothing constructive to say.

I was really tempted by the Valve Pack, but I already own The Orange Box on my 360, and I was gifted HL2 and the HL2 extras (like Death Match) through a promotion. And some guy bought my girlfriend the Left 4 Dead games in an attempt to get into her pants -- naturally, I play those games a lot. And other than those games, there wasn't anything to justify even the $25 for me. I don't get extra copies.

I also have the first two Oddworld games on PS1. I'd like the Oddboxx, but I don't really know how much I'm going to play the two Xbox games, considering I haven't finished the first two. As a rule, I won't spend much more than $4 for a digital download that I can only install on 5 machines. Are the latest two good enough to cause an exception?

Toiling over whether or not to pick up Stranger's Wrath for 7.49. That is a 50% break on the original price, but will it get any cheaper during the sale?

[quote name='Zin_LG']I hope Dead Space and Mirror's Edge make as dalies, but I doubt it.[/QUOTE]
It happened last year, IIRC... please, Steam?

[quote name='Nirvana92']Going to call it, Valve Complete pack comes back as a daily deal for $25[/QUOTE]

God I hope so, was waiting until I got home to DL it. Feel like I missed a deal now that it is $25 more, when I was only hesitant before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back