Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Nirvana92']Going to call it, Valve Complete pack comes back as a daily deal for $25

Also, in for Super Meat Boy =)[/QUOTE]

I'd put money on that as well. In more ways than one. ;)

Just FYI, Munch and Stranger's Wrath, much like Oddysee and Exoddus, are poorly optimized barebones ports.

They are still great games but Oddworld Inhabitants needs to fucking learn how to make PC games.

[quote name='Zin_LG']I hope Dead Space and Mirror's Edge make as dalies, but I doubt it.[/QUOTE]

Mirror's Edge is on sale all the time. I got it last year at the holiday sale for like $5 (It was a daily sale Dec. 23rd 2009) and I've seen it since then at around the same price (summer sale maybe?). It's great fun and well worth it if you can wait it out. I'm sure it will appear eventually.

Anyway, today I got BF:BC2, Super Meat Boy and Winterbottom for a grand total of $11. I'm just planning to spend $10 a day on average for the duration of the sale, like every other year while I watch my checking account steadily decrease.

Damn, this first day alone is brutal. Going to get:
-Strangers Wrath - Munch's Odyssey doesn't look interesting and I own the rest.
-P.B. Winterbottom - So Cheap!

Looking at getting and would like an opinion on:
-F.E.A.R. collection - I want some good single player FPS's to kill time with
-Indie Fright Pack - Just for and The Void. Are the indie packs good for the entire sale? I might just wait on this one then.
-The Forgotten Sands - I've played through all the other PoP except this one, though I heard it's sub par.

[quote name='djfp']Toiling over whether or not to pick up Stranger's Wrath for 7.49. That is a 50% break on the original price, but will it get any cheaper during the sale?[/QUOTE]

It's a daily deal so it's doubtful. The creator's web page also said it would be 50% off the first day of the sale and jump down to 25% off the rest of the sale.

Any chance someone from the US will buy BC2 and gift it to me?
I'll send the money with Paypal. I'll appreciate it a lot! :D

Edit: Got it already...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jumped on Battlefield: BC2 and Oddbox (which took a while to pop up, it randomly disappeared as I flipped to its page then said it wasn't available).
Debating on finally getting Oblivion and Fallout GOTY. I'll probably wait longer simply because I'll be spending more than planned this week anyway. (wait, I had a plan?)

For those who like Diablo, Titan Quest is a must-buy. I wish I'd gotten it through Steam for the convenience, but I noticed it on sale at D2D first. >.<

[quote name='djfp']Toiling over whether or not to pick up Stranger's Wrath for 7.49. That is a 50% break on the original price, but will it get any cheaper during the sale?[/QUOTE]
It's marked as a daily deal, so no.

Picking up Super Meat Boy, Shattered Union, and the Indie Beat Pack today. I'm going to wait on everything else. Hopefully there will be some nice daily deals coming up.

FYI guys, when you buy something that's on sale you don't need, you're not saving money. On that note, I think I'll be buy OddBoxx, because I'm a hypocrite.

[quote name='Scorch']Steam store is getting hammered, but the servers aren't.. still able to download at a steady 3mb/s. I love the Steam servers.[/QUOTE]

Of course, everybody buys games on Steam to add to the list, but they never actually play any of them.

[quote name='msdmoney']Of course, everybody buys games on Steam to add to the list, but they never actually play any of them.[/QUOTE]

Does Steam publicly track this? I want to know how bad the general customer is.

[quote name='Sufuma']Does Steam publicly track this? I want to know how bad the general customer is.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it's public, but you can look at your own playtime through the steam client. It's pretty sad in my case. I have tons of things with < 1 hour total on them.

Is it a bad thing to buy a game that you already have on another console? Geez, Bad Company 2, FEAR Pack, and Super Meat Boy are very tempting and I have them for the XBox.

[quote name='machindo']FYI guys, when you buy something that's on sale you don't need, you're not saving money. On that note, I think I'll be buy OddBoxx, because I'm a hypocrite.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='machindo']FYI guys, when you buy something that's on sale you don't need, you're not saving money. On that note, I think I'll be buy OddBoxx, because I'm a hypocrite.[/QUOTE]

I'll have you know that my wife tells me all the time how she "saved" me money by purchasing clothes on sale that she clearly doesn't need. So see it must be true, my wife wouldn't lie to me. :roll:

[quote name='vlv723']Is it a bad thing to buy a game that you already have on another console? Geez, Bad Company 2, FEAR Pack, and Super Meat Boy are very tempting and I have them for the XBox.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, as all cases you can now play with the keyboard, and in some cases you get access to other stuff (SMB will have community maps soon), or there might be a better online community. It really depends on how much you'll play it again. I'd research it to find the differences in version/community if it's online, then decide if the price is still right.

[quote name='Cybolt']Quick question about packs: Will the extra games I already own in them be giftable?[/QUOTE]

When you're in checkout it says if you will get giftable items and what you won't. So for a lot of Indie Packs you don't get giftable copies.

[quote name='speedracer']No.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Skram']When you're in checkout it says if you will get giftable items and what you won't. So for a lot of Indie Packs you don't get giftable copies.[/QUOTE]

Darn, it would have been nice. Thanks for the fast response.

Firvagor's right, folks: Titan Quest Gold is aces. The Immortal Throne expansion in Gold really rounds TQ out wonderfully. $4.95 is a steal for many, many, MANY hours of action RPG fun.

Oh, and speaking of Deals of the Day, is the LEGO Batman linkable to Live for achievements?

[quote name='Substandard']I don't know if it's public, but you can look at your own playtime through the steam client. It's pretty sad in my case. I have tons of things with < 1 hour total on them.[/QUOTE]

I was like that but since I decided I would tear through my backlog (50 games beaten this year) I have played a lot of my games. But I went through 2 christmas sales and barely played any of the games I bought.

EDIT: Anyway, I got Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum. And that will be it for this sale. Only reason I got them is because someone else is getting them for me for christmas.

Alright, add the Indy Fright Pack and Indy Fantasy Pack to my list of casualties. Although really, what, ~$14 for 11 games? Can't beat that. Thinking I won't bite on PoP, and as tempting as OddBoxx is, it's only 50% off - it'll drop before too long.

Still hoping CivIV ends up as a daily before too long. Otherwise I might just get impatient and pick it up at the current price.

A thousand apologies if this has been asked before on here (didn't see it, but I may have missed it), but will these current Steam deals (indie packs, individual games, company packs) change daily, or are the prices good until Jan. 2? I'm trying to pace my wallet.

[quote name='macschwag14']A thousand apologies if this has been asked before on here (didn't see it, but I may have missed it), but will these current Steam deals (indie packs, individual games, company packs) change daily, or are the prices good until Jan. 2? I'm trying to pace my wallet.[/QUOTE]

The only prices that should change are those listed as "Today's Deals" - the rest of the prices shouldn't change. With that being said, most people wait until the last day of the sale to purchase the majority of the items and only buy things from "Today's Deals" since often times games that are on sale are offered at even deeper discounts for 24 hours as "Today's Deals".

[quote name='BridgetFisher']NO this list is wrong the valve pack is 50$!
or link to proof it is 25$[/QUOTE]

For like an hour or two the Valve complete pack was up for $25, then it went up in price. I bet it will be a daily deal and they goofed up.

Just bought Oblivion Deluxe Edition for a friend of mine for our Secret Santa gift. I'm hoping I can pick up Fallout 3: GOTY for myself before that deal ends tomorrw. I only have F3 Vanilla and want the expansions.

[quote name='blitztwn36']The only prices that should change are those listed as "Today's Deals" - the rest of the prices shouldn't change. With that being said, most people wait until the last day of the sale to purchase items and only buy things from "Today's Deals" since often times that are on sale are offered at even deeper discounts for 24 hours.[/QUOTE]

For bigger games/company packs, that's a good strategy (sans The Witcher last summer. Still annoyed about that.) For Indy Packs, I think those are pretty well set (at least, I hope they are!) But really, they can't get MUCH cheaper anyway - most are around 90% off!

[quote name='BridgetFisher']NO this list is wrong the valve pack is 50$!
or link to proof it is 25$[/QUOTE]

I saw it earlier for $25. It changed at some point. Am sad.

It is hard to pull the trigger on these indy packs given that there are no real reviews for most of these games anywhere....

Anyone strongly recommend certain packs? Most of the ones I know would be decent like the beat/music pack or the 2D pack I already have all/most of the games.

[quote name='MSI Magus']It is hard to pull the trigger on these indy packs given that there are no real reviews for most of these games anywhere....

Anyone strongly recommend certain packs? Most of the ones I know would be decent like the beat/music pack or the 2D pack I already have all/most of the games.[/QUOTE]

Given how many packs there are, I'd post specific games you're interested in, and see if people can give you an idea of how that game is.

I'll also point out that they're $5, and you get 5 games. So even if you only find 1 or 2 gems in the bundle, it's still a decent price for the games. (In most cases, you paid the cost of 1 game, and got 4 free to try. In some cases you paid half the cost of 1 game, and got 4 free to try. In rare cases, you might end up over paying for a single game, but you still got 4 free games.)

So far I got F.E.A.R. complete pack (been waiting for Fear 1 to go on sale since it came to Steam) and PoP 2008.

For some reason BF:BC2 has a higher base price in my region (Iceland), $30 vs the $20 in the US, so the discount price is $10.19. Anybody willing to gift me a copy of the (cheaper) US priced one that I paypal you for?

[quote name='INCyr']Given how many packs there are, I'd post specific games you're interested in, and see if people can give you an idea of how that game is.

I'll also point out that they're $5, and you get 5 games. So even if you only find 1 or 2 gems in the bundle, it's still a decent price for the games. (In most cases, you paid the cost of 1 game, and got 4 free to try. In some cases you paid half the cost of 1 game, and got 4 free to try. In rare cases, you might end up over paying for a single game, but you still got 4 free games.)[/QUOTE]

Yes but with some of those packs they do not look that great. $1 a game is only a good deal if its a game you will actually play.

The Fright, Mix, and 2D pack are selling the best.

Like INCyr said, they all have at least one game in them that's worth the cost if not two or three.

It would seem like most are waiting on the Potato pack. (which will inevitably piss off the people who purchased Super Meat Boy today lol)

[quote name='MBENNE']Anyone have an opinion on the Prince of Persia games? Metascores look pretty solid, but I'm looking for a series to compare them to before I take the plunge.

Definitely in for the Oddworld Pack and Super Meat Boy to start.[/QUOTE]

Some of the best platformers of last generation. The time control allows the devs to make some very difficult jumps and traps without making them too frustrating.

Sands of Time is one of my favorite games of all time. WW is pretty decent (buggy). Two Thrones is also pretty great.

The reboot is "meh". A bit too easy, though going for achievements on the xbox made it very frustrating.

Haven't played the latest title yet.

I'd recommend a controller for them. Not sure how well it'd play with just a kb/m.

[quote name='potat4o']WTF STEAM I CANNOT POSSIBLY BUY ALL OF YOUR GAMES!?!!? :booty::booty::booty::booty::booty::booty::booty:[/QUOTE]

i as well as this guy agrees with you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuY74rpL_hw

[quote name='Blade']And some guy bought my girlfriend the Left 4 Dead games in an attempt to get into her pants --
[/QUOTE]

unless it is confirmed that a girl is a slut... what idiot is stupid enough to waste his money and think that will work...

[quote name='apbeatty']I'll have you know that my wife tells me all the time how she "saved" me money by purchasing clothes on sale that she clearly doesn't need. So see it must be true, my wife wouldn't lie to me. :roll:[/QUOTE]

but what women doesn't have a hundred pairs of shoes that shoe doesn't wear.. only to have..

no different than us buying a shit ton of steam games we will never play or touch once or twice at most, but looks pretty on our list.

[quote name='INCyr']For bigger games/company packs, that's a good strategy (sans The Witcher last summer. Still annoyed about that.) For Indy Packs, I think those are pretty well set (at least, I hope they are!) But really, they can't get MUCH cheaper anyway - most are around 90% off![/QUOTE]

is this true? there is a chance that some of these $70-80 packs will be cheaper? glad i only bought the thq and valve one so far, but plan to get a few more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back