Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very confused by which deals are daily and which I have time to sit on. Do the indie packs change every day, or will they be the same throughout the duration of the sale? The Steam store is madness, I was expecting a bit more from the OP...

I'm glad I checked this thread. Seeing the daily indie deal, I was little confused whether the indie packs changed daily as well. But since I'm now assuming they don't, I'll hold off until later. None of them are screaming buy me yet.
I'm already in for Super Meat Boy, PB Winterbottom, and Caster. I'd never heard of the last one, but for 99 cents, I tracked down a demo and decided it seemed worth it xD

[quote name='dudejeff22']I'm very confused by which deals are daily and which I have time to sit on. Do the indie packs change every day, or will they be the same throughout the duration of the sale? The Steam store is madness, I was expecting a bit more from the OP...[/QUOTE]

Look at the front page of steam store, there are 13 pages of the book with the color pink. Each of those items is a daily deal.

EDIT: And technically many things can change from day to day, but most likely if they do it will be because they are a daily deal and as such will be a lower price. The only things from now on that should change price will be the daily deals going back to their higher price (after their time as a daily deal expires).

Made my return to CAG to join in the steam holiday merriment, although they got me early with the treasure hunt. Got my treasure hat this morning and as a reward, the sales!

To those asking / waffling, I'll vouch for Sands of Time, I played through it at least twice on a PC of its era, and it ran great and was a lot of fun. I'd give the later games a look, but at the time didn't make it too far into part 2 because it seemed heavier on combat, and that was a weak point in SoT compared to the parkour bits.

To Samus, I have a recettear just sitting here by its lonesome, collateral damage from buying some $5 pack last month...maybe I should have a look..

But it seems like I'm going to get more clutter of that sort. By now I think I have at least one game in every indie pack, and of the whole bunch, there're probably only 2 or 3 new titles I'm actually interested in, but since buying them solo is the same price as with 4 other games, I might as well clutter up my account!

I'll probably wait to clean up on the last day, but with some games on my list, like serious sam SE already at 75% off, the prices might not get much better...

[quote name='RollingSkull']Warrior Within and Two Thrones are both gory and combat heavy.

Honestly? WW is a perfectly fine game and I think it's better than SoT. The problem is that SoT was charming, colorful, and pleasant. WW is grim, oppressive, and falls somewhere between B and C movie in plot theme, but tries to create the atmosphere of dread such B and C tripe can't manage.

Gameplay-wise, WW blows SoT completely out of the water, in my opinion. The only problem is that WW is kind of "nonlinear," the entire castle is open, but the entire game is pretty much a linear path with a couple of branches. But GOD HELP YOU if you explore too hard and find yourself going down a branch that leaves you confused and lost, or, hell, begin to doubt yourself in the game's somewhat silly last two acts where you basically go through every area in the game that branched out of the hub, constantly grazing against the hub, but never actually being allowed back into the hub until you have taken what has to be the most circuitous route in video gaming history just to get back for your final battle. If you stray from the path in those areas and can't right yourself that well, you're hosed.

That said, WW's combat and level design are great fun, apart from occasional pitfalls if you get confused.

Two Thrones is the third game and continues off the second game. It's JUST as gory and has just a bit less combat but is still pretty heavy on that. The story attempts to walk back the utterly ridiculous cheese from the second act and barely succeeds. It's linear, and similar in quality to WW, but doesn't add a lot. You could say it doesn't need to, but compared to WW it's almost unmemorable. Definitely worth playing though.[/QUOTE]

Thank you good sir!

I somewhat dislike cheesy story lines so I welcome the grim, oppressive plot theme in WW. :bouncy:

Looks like I might have mistakenly ended up with a game I think I will end up liking more than the one I was trying to buy in the first place. For now I'll stick to just this one, and if I can get through that last part okay and end up liking the game I'll go for the PoP trilogy collection on Amazon (currently 8.99) later down the line. Once again, thank you for that. :applause:

Ok, so which of the PoP games do I want? Ive only played one on the 360 a while back and was so so on it. For the price, id love to give them another shot.

For those who own it, how difficult it Garry's Mod to understand and control? It looks interesting but not if it's really difficult to do anything cool.

Wow I think im going to bite for meat boy and fear the complete package total is about 13 bucks. I have to say Im also tempted by the deal on battlefield bad company 2 but would I think I would rather get it for the xbox.

Super Meat Boy for $3.75? Yes please.
On top of that about 80% of my wishlist is on sale, wow...
And at a time when I'm a little low on money because of having to buy clothes for a funeral, this sucks.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']GMod is easy to have fun with but VERY DIFFICULT to master and make complex machines.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I've put about 3 hours into the game and had fun with what I could figure out, but I could tell that there were a lot more complexities that would take time to learn. I guess it that just means there's that much more to get out of the game.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Anyone have an opinion on Winter Voices?[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering this as well. It looks very neat, and with the base game plus the first episode half off, it might be a good jumping on point.

Hi,

Can anyone confirm you still get the sands of time free when you purchase POP: Forgotten sands deluxe edition.

Seems that blurb was written for preorder and want to make sure I get SOT.

[quote name='momouchi']Any opinions on the Indie Future pack or Fantasy pack?[/QUOTE]

I bought the future pack for uplink and hacker evo. Fun games, havent played the others before.

[quote name='UNDERSTAR']Thinking bout picking up all the Prince of Persia games but want to know if they are all compatible with the 360 controller?[/QUOTE]

All of them are. TT has a problem though: It, and it alone, can't handle those stupid triggers. You cannot remap them, but they remain bound to their functions so you can't Joy2Key hack them either. You'll just have to for that game get used to rewind and block on LB and RB. It's annoying but you can deal with it.

SoT and WW don't have that problem. PoP 2009 and TFS are multiplat on the Xbox and thus use the controllers wonderfully except for button icons turning meaningless in PoP. (I.e., when the game wants you to talk to Elika because she has a hint, they flash an Elika icon next to... the Elika button. Supposed to be the button you hit to talk to Elika but they just generic it.)

[quote name='Stevogambo']Hi,

Can anyone confirm you still get the sands of time free when you purchase POP: Forgotten sands deluxe edition.

Seems that blurb was written for preorder and want to make sure I get SOT.[/QUOTE]

I bought Forgotten Sands Deluxe and I got Sands of Time for free.

Steam is refusing to download BC2 with 100MB left! :bomb:

Edit - Switching my server to russia - siberia got it to finish!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Stevogambo']Hi,

Seems that blurb was written for preorder and want to make sure I get SOT.[/QUOTE]
YES YOU CAN :bouncy:

I just bought the deluxe edition then i get "sands of time"

[quote name='momouchi']Any opinions on the Indie Future pack or Fantasy pack?[/QUOTE]

Uplink is a lot of fun. Especially on a laptop. In public. I've ended up buying it a couple times over the years. Assuming you -want- to pretend to hack the planet in a manner only slightly more serious than as seen on tv in the 90s.

Hacker Evolution appears to be Uplink but in amber tones instead of blue.

I got Bob Came In Pieces for the treasure hunt - it's like pixeljunk shooter (or more accurately, Solar Jetman for the NES, since there's not much actual shooting to do) + Flower.

Fantasy pack is a no go for me. Future could happen.

[quote name='mrfossey']Very tempted on SMB...but what about that "Potato" pack?[/QUOTE]

My guess is it will be a daily deal... Guess we just wait and see.

Still cant believe the price for Winterbottom, basically giving it away :)

Was Prince of Persia compete ever cheaper -- or is it a great deal at $17.50 for all the games... I'm wondering why steam didn't discount it more as a 'complete' pack????

I think I will pick up the future pack, if only for uplink and hacker evolution. I'll still mull over fantasy pack but none of them jump out at me, but some of them look like they could be worth the $5.

Bit the bullet and bought: FEAR Collection, PoP FS, SMB, and BFBC 2. All I have for the XBox 360.

One day down, 13 to go. *cry*

A little disappointed at the price of Fallout 3 GOTY. Hopefully the vanilla one will be cheaper in a future Daily Deal.

For now, I just grabbed The Oddbox. Already had Super Meat Boy and Winterbottom. I will definitely grab some indie games, too, once I'm sure that there won't be some better, one-day-only way to get the ones I want (Gratuitous Space Battles, Eversion, The Void).

Glad I have at least one or two games in those indie packs already or I could spend a lot more. So far I only have the future pack, SMB, and PB winterbottom.

SO I assume the Potato PAck will include SMB and will be $5???? Should I bite on SMB for $3.75 or buy teh whole Potato pack for $5 -- assuming that's the case????

[quote name='jazyje']SO I assume the Potato PAck will include SMB and will be $5???? Should I bite on SMB for $3.75 or buy teh whole Potato pack for $5 -- assuming that's the case????[/QUOTE]

Seems highly doubtful - it looks like they are doing a daily Indie Pack. Today's is the "Heavy Hitters" pack which is currently $19.99. I'd imagine the Potato Pack to be at or near this price based on the speculated games in it.

[quote name='jazyje']SO I assume the Potato PAck will include SMB and will be $5???? Should I bite on SMB for $3.75 or buy teh whole Potato pack for $5 -- assuming that's the case????[/QUOTE]

No way would the Potato Pack be $5. It has way too many new games. I could see it being $20 similar to the Heavy Hitters pack, but not $5.

Just bought:

SMB
Winterbottom
PoP:SoT
PoP:WW
PoP:TT
Civilization IV Complete

Already have Civ IV on disk, but I have since changed hard drives and it is easier to have for on the go.

I was going to buy Prince of Persia three pack from Amazon for the same price, but I figured I might as well get it on Steam.

Even though I usually prefer physical media for ps3/xbox/wii, for some reason for the computer I prefer Steam.

I'm trying to purchase some games from steam, but its stuck on "working" what do I do? Just let it sit there? Its been like this for about 10 minutes. Help?

I bought FEAR 2 and, yes, my first time I have ever purchase Deus Ex. Never played it before.

I bought Super Meat Boy for a friend.

[quote name='77Pat']Just bought:

SMB
Winterbottom
PoP:SoT
PoP:WW
PoP:TT
Civilization IV Complete

Already have Civ IV on disk, but I have since changed hard drives and it is easier to have for on the go.

I was going to buy Prince of Persia three pack from Amazon for the same price, but I figured I might as well get it on Steam.

Even though I usually prefer physical media for ps3/xbox/wii, for some reason for the computer I prefer Steam.[/QUOTE]

Wow --- PoP trilogy for $8.XXX on amazon -- can't activate on steam though, huh?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LKM0EW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001BAU9E0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=10FGBW47JFDTZK00BAV6

Youch, a lot of games! I'll finally pick up the Deus Ex pack :p (I knew waiting would pay off! That $2 is mine! MINE!), and the Patricians and Merchants pack for $2.49 is also sweet. Hmmm... maybe I'll pick up a Prince of Persia game, too. Argh, decisions! And I just spent nine hours last weekend digitalling Dragon Age: Origins from D2D, I don't want to digital too many more games at the moment as my hard drive is getting rather full. Then again, my digital speed is nice and fast, so digitalling when I want to play isn't much of a problem. :)

(It seems weird to use "digital" instead of "download", but if eastx says everyone understands, then I trust him ^^)

[quote name='ZForce915']From what I'm seeing in this thread I bet some people could play only the games they have, never purchase something new and still be able to play Steam games for a year or two.[/QUOTE]
You don't understand! WHAT IF THEY STOP MAKING GAMES?!?! WHAT IF THE INTERNET CLOSES?!?!?!

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']Stupid f****g BC2, it keeps randomly crashing and since it's the Steam version I can't tinker with the settings in the file.[/QUOTE]

what are you running on your pc?

Cross posting this from the PA forums

These games are currently under $2 and will stay that way throughout the sale*
*DLC not included, US store

Railroad Tycoon II Platinum $1.24

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom $0.49

MLB 2K10 $1.99

X-COM: Interceptor $1.69

X-COM: Enforcer $1.69

X-COM: UFO Defense $1.69

-COM: Apocalypse $1.69

Toki Tori $1.25

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved $1.99

Bullet Candy $1.99

Windosill $1.49

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith $1.49

Ziro $1.74

Puzzler World $1.74

Fitness Dash™ $1.74

Mahjong Roadshow™ $1.74

DinerTown Detective Agency™ $1.74

Nightshift Legacy: The Jaguar's Eye™ $1.74

Parking Dash™ $1.74

The Nightshift Code™ $1.74

Valerie Porter and the Scarlet Scandal™ $1.74

Hotel Dash™ Suite Success™ $1.74

Gemini Lost™ $1.74

Ghost Master $1

TriJinx: A Kristine Kross Mystery™ $1.74

Sniper Elite $1.49

World Basketball Manager 2010 $1.49

Evil Genius $1.49

Elf Bowling: Hawaiian Vacation $1.50

Everyday Genius: SquareLogic $1.50

Blueberry Garden $0.99

Magnetis $0.50

Farm Frenzy: Pizza Party $1.24

Farm Frenzy $1.24

Farm Frenzy 2 $1.24

Caster $0.99

Tropico Reloaded $1.74

Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death $1.19

Project Freedom $1.49

X-COM: Terror From the Deep $1.69

Children of the Nile: Alexandria $0.62

BC Kings $1.49

Ankh 2: Heart of Osiris $1.99

FlatOut $1.49

Port Royale 2 $1.99

Bad Rats: the Rats' Revenge $1.99

MLB® Front Office Manager $1

SlamIt Pinball Big Score $1.24

Gravitron 2 $1.24

Ducati World Championship $1.49

Vegas: Make It Big™ $0.99

Gumboy Tournament $1.01

Chaos Theory $1.99

Iron Warriors: T - 72 Tank Command $1.99

[quote name='Skuttie']Cross posting this from the PA forums

These games are currently under $2 and will stay that way throughout the sale*
*DLC not included, US store

Railroad Tycoon II Platinum $1.24

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom $0.49

MLB 2K10 $1.99

X-COM: Interceptor $1.69

X-COM: Enforcer $1.69

X-COM: UFO Defense $1.69

-COM: Apocalypse $1.69

Toki Tori $1.25

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved $1.99

Bullet Candy $1.99

Windosill $1.49

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith $1.49

Ziro $1.74

Puzzler World $1.74

Fitness Dash™ $1.74

Mahjong Roadshow™ $1.74

DinerTown Detective Agency™ $1.74

Nightshift Legacy: The Jaguar's Eye™ $1.74

Parking Dash™ $1.74

The Nightshift Code™ $1.74

Valerie Porter and the Scarlet Scandal™ $1.74

Hotel Dash™ Suite Success™ $1.74

Gemini Lost™ $1.74

Ghost Master $1

TriJinx: A Kristine Kross Mystery™ $1.74

Sniper Elite $1.49

World Basketball Manager 2010 $1.49

Evil Genius $1.49

Elf Bowling: Hawaiian Vacation $1.50

Everyday Genius: SquareLogic $1.50

Blueberry Garden $0.99

Magnetis $0.50

Farm Frenzy: Pizza Party $1.24

Farm Frenzy $1.24

Farm Frenzy 2 $1.24

Caster $0.99

Tropico Reloaded $1.74

Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death $1.19

Project Freedom $1.49

X-COM: Terror From the Deep $1.69

Children of the Nile: Alexandria $0.62

BC Kings $1.49

Ankh 2: Heart of Osiris $1.99

FlatOut $1.49

Port Royale 2 $1.99

Bad Rats: the Rats' Revenge $1.99

MLB® Front Office Manager $1

SlamIt Pinball Big Score $1.24

Gravitron 2 $1.24

Ducati World Championship $1.49

Vegas: Make It Big™ $0.99

Gumboy Tournament $1.01

Chaos Theory $1.99

Iron Warriors: T - 72 Tank Command $1.99[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the time you put in to that. I found a few on that list that I had missed hunting for games earlier.

[quote name='YoUnGKiLlAh']what are you running on your pc?[/QUOTE]
hurrmm what exactly are you asking for? Graphics wise I'm using HD4350, and while I have to run everything on low for it to run smooth, it works great. You wouldn't think anything was wrong and then randomly it happens. Usually during random gameplay or when it transitions to a new map.

I ran the beta without a problem, but then again it WAS a beta.

Well Day 1 done for me.
Prince of Persia Series
(so all 5 games)
Super Meat Boy
Lego Batman
Fear Original
All 8 games were in my wishlist.... yay!!!
Bring on day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back