Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MikeE021286']Well that's a ringing endorsement for me....can't wait to get off work and load those up.

Anyone have any idea how big the D/L for Witcher is?[/QUOTE]

Pretty damn big. I haven't DL'd it yet, but when I click the install button it says it requires 14 GB!

People, there's a general group buy / Steam thread with a link of the OP in this thread. Keep trade/buy/whatever requests in that thread and don't litter this one up with those posts.

[quote name='MikeE021286']Well that's a ringing endorsement for me....can't wait to get off work and load those up.

Anyone have any idea how big the D/L for Witcher is?[/QUOTE]

14306MB, or 14-15GB. Yeah, it's huge. Gonna have to set that up to D/L tonight while I'm at my in-laws for early Christmas.

[quote name='mokmoof']I'm one of the six people in the world who have never played Puzzle Quest. Is it worth my $1.50?[/QUOTE]

I'm number 2 of those six. Looks interesting....

I'm also eyeing the Tomb Raider game. Is it good for solo play?

EDIT: Eh...well...that Tomb Raider game is a bit too powerful for my computer. Oh well.

[quote name='mokmoof']I'm one of the six people in the world who have never played Puzzle Quest. Is it worth my $1.50?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, wondering the same thing.

Steam lists multiplayer as one of the options for Lara Croft. Last I knew the PS3 and PC were still waiting for online multiplayer to be added. Has this been fixed then?

It's easily worth 20 times that.

[quote name='Terlan']In for the Witcher. Thinking about defense grid, will likely try the demo. Burnout Paradise is appealing but not sure on that. Is it any good?[/QUOTE]

Defense Grid is one of the best Tower Defense games ever, if you like TD at all then pick it up!

[quote name='macschwag14']Steam lists multiplayer as one of the options for Lara Croft. Last I knew the PS3 and PC were still waiting for online multiplayer to be added. Has this been fixed then?[/QUOTE]

Yes. The first time I tried online multiplayer it seemed a little laggy but it seems to be working just fine now.

Depends on if you like Match-3 games. If you do, or at least don't hate them and like decent RPG's, then yes, it's well worth the $1.50. It's a lot of fun, fairly easy (although you'll swear the computer cheats half the time), with enough challenge to keep it from being a breeze.

If I didn't already own it on the DS, I'd pick it up again. Not sure it's worth playing twice, and I picked up the second one over thanksgiving, so I'm currently working my way through that.

If you like light Japanese RPGs and Puzzle Games and can handle the cheese that comes with a combat system based on puzzles its a great game.

I liked galactrix a bit more but thats just my preference and I prefer space/hexic to fantasy/bejewelled. I felt like PQ dragged on a bit long but it was fun.

[quote name='shrike4242']People, there's a general group buy / Steam thread with a link of the OP in this thread. Keep trade/buy/whatever requests in that thread and don't litter this one up with those posts.[/QUOTE]

Do you mind linking to it? I looked around and can't seem to find one for the current sale only the general discussion thread. Sorry in advance if I'm staring at it and its right in front of me.

Picked up Defense Grid: Awakening. It looks like a lot of fun for $2.
I'm still undecided on Tomb Raider and Burnout Paradise. I just have so many other games that I feel like I'll never get to them.

Was tempted on "The Witcher" but seeing as how I

A) Already own the Director's Cut on disc

and B) Don't have the space (on a laptop for the next...few months)

I'm skipping it. However I highly recommend it for anyone into RPGs with choices and consequences, to a degree. It's no Alpha Protocol in that regard, and the combat system is quirky, but the game does force you to make some decisions. Very entertaining, and well worth $5. Other than that, I'm probably skipping by today's sales.

I'm in for Witcher and Guardian of Light (If I can find someone who owns a TR game that is willing to gift it). Possibly in for PQ (Played it on 360) and Burnout (huge backlog of racing games: blur, split second, new nfs, dirt 2, etc).

I still can't believe that people are saying today's deals are *meh*

There are a whole bunch of highly rated, classic games for tiny prices. I mean, I own pretty much all of the games on sale today, but there is no way I can say the sale is *meh* it's just I've already bought the bloody games from steam.

In saying that....

The Lara Croft game, I own all of the other Tomb Raider games, I have them all linked to my steam account as "Non Steam Games" so I am assuming I won't qualify for the super-cheap price?

Yes, absolutely. I enjoy the RPG/Minigame aspect of it. To be honest, I like it on a handheld (I have it on PSP) and it's easily one of my all time favorite casual games. It can be as deep or as simple as you'd like and is a TON of fun.

Snagged The Witched even though my comp(s) right now don't have the space/horsepower to run it. I'll hopefully be building a PC in the next few months and have the time to play it! I also picked up the Indie Fright Pack, Fantasy Pack, and Brain Pack. Can't beat these awesome deals!

Puzzle Quest is totally worth $1.50! If I didn't have my DS Copy, I'd be all over that deal!

I got Puzzle Quest 2 during the Thanksgiving Sale and so far have around 60+ hours played. It's a nice blend of Bejeweled, turn-based strategy, and RPG. Everything I've heard about the first is that it's as good as, if not arguably better than the second -- especially in terms of the RPG elements.

[quote name='Zipomatic2']
The Lara Croft game, I own all of the other Tomb Raider games, I have them all linked to my steam account as "Non Steam Games" so I am assuming I won't qualify for the super-cheap price?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Only Steam-based (sold) versions. The overlay really has no way of telling what programs are running through the 'add non-steam game' feature.

[quote name='wmclark']Yeah.... right.... I mean... I guess it will be 75 cents cheaper during the Christmas sale next year....[/QUOTE]

When it's $2, don't say I didn't warn you.

In for the Witcher. Knew they'd hit $5 after last year's prices. Debating whether I get Guardian of Light on Steam or PSN. $5 is extremely tempting and might be enough to forego playing on the HDTV.

Last edited by a moderator:
In for Witcher. I had never really heard about it until all the recent fanfare for the 2nd one, so I am hopeful that I enjoy it.

Definitely picked up The Witcher since I traded my boxed copy for a Super Meat Boy preorder to another CAG.

I already own PQ on psp, so not sure I will get that on Steam.

Everything else I either have or don't want.

Defense Grid is a great buy at 2 bucks, one of the best Tower Defense games I have played.

Burnout Paradise UB is a lot of content for five bucks!

PQ is fun and if you don't own it on anything else it's a great price!

[quote name='Mooby']

Nope. Only Steam-based (sold) versions. The overlay really has no way of telling what programs are running through the 'add non-steam game' feature.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the speedy reply Mooby, much appreciated!

Today's purchases:

The Witcher
Defense Grid
Puzzle Quest

I already had a physical copy of The Witcher, but for $5 I'd rather have it on Steam. Just easier for me. I had only played about 10 minutes of The Witcher also when I bought it a while back for like $35 or something. Oh well.

[quote name='bigant262']Question, if I were to buy Lara Croft, can I gift my friend the game for 3.60?[/QUOTE]

You should be able to. The only time it doesn't work is when you are buying 4-packs.

So far I've got defense grid and BFBC2, hoping for a 5.00$ Team Fortress 2 and 5$ borderlands/or 10$ GOTY edition.. The witcher looks interesting but its kinda old anyone know if it runs well on windows 7 64bit

[quote name='bigant262']Question, if I were to buy Lara Croft, can I gift my friend the game for 3.60?[/QUOTE]

It worked for me, however I have two Tomb Raider games in my owned games list so I dunno if it'll work a third time; I'll let you know in a few minutes.

EDIT: Seems to work as many times as I want as long as only one copy is sent at a time.

Just tried it and no dice. It shows me as owning the game but still charges $5.10 for an additional copy when I add to my cart as a gift.

Yes!

Oh wait; I already owned another Tomb Raider game on Steam, so now I can't say for sure.

[quote name='VISCO']The witcher looks interesting but its kinda old anyone know if it runs well on windows 7 64bit[/QUOTE]

Yes! I have Win7 64bit and it runs incredibly well. The Witcher is an outstanding RPG and it's an absolute steal at 5 bucks. I highly recommend it!

[quote name='VISCO']So far I've got defense grid and BFBC2, hoping for a 5.00$ Team Fortress 2 and 5$ borderlands/or 10$ GOTY edition.. The witcher looks interesting but its kinda old anyone know if it runs well on windows 7 64bit[/QUOTE]

The Witcher works fine on my OS with those specs. "Kind of old" doesn't mean much (and it's only from 2008! Sheesh!). It's a brilliant game regardless of when it was made and stands up very very well against other big single player RPGs of today (kicks the pills off of Fallout and I liked it better than Dragon Age even though I love Bioware). It's got character and really would be a crime to miss at that price. I paid $50 for it when it came out and don't regret the purchase. Guess I'm biased :)

The Bioshock 2 group buy thread can be found here:

Cheap Ass Gamer Deals> CAG Video Game Trading > Master Trade Lists / Trade Your _____ Here > Bioshock 2 Steam 4-pack

I'd post a direct link, but my account doesn't have enough posts tied to it yet. Would one of our elder posters care to do the honors?

There's no specific topic in Master Trade Lists regarding gifting of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Maybe someone interested in the deal can start one up.

Tried the defense grid demo and it just wasn't fun for me. Still kicking around the idea of burnout though if anyone has an opinion on it.

[quote name='bigant262']Got a link to the thread?[/QUOTE]

I've looked around for it and can't find it either. You aren't alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back