Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='evildeadjedi']I just bought Puzzle Quest, I just couldn't resist having it on Steam for 1.50 :lol:[/QUOTE]

I'd been hoping for an XBLA sale on it, but $1.50 on Steam is just too sweet to pass up. Although I played it once before on the DS, it feels like such a richer experience being able to really see everything now. ;)

[quote name='Yanksfan']I couldn't either. That makes four different versions I have bought of the game (PSP, DS, 360 & Steam). It is worth having at that cheap of a price in case I just have my laptop around for a bit and want to boot up some PQ.[/QUOTE]

I have it PSP and DS. I agree it will be great to play on my pc or netbook.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'd been hoping for an XBLA sale on it, but $1.50 on Steam is just too sweet to pass up. Although I played it once before on the DS, it feels like such a richer experience being able to really see everything now. ;)[/QUOTE]

It does seem like PC is definitely going be the best experience for playing the game. Can't wait to test it out!

bought prince of persia (the cell shaded one) and forgotten sands.

price of persia has missing textures so i can only tell where my guy is by the dust particles and his outline.

forgotten sands says something about waiting for a connection to reconnect and the only other option is to quit the game.

so... don't buy those games.

[quote name='crystalklear64']bought prince of persia (the cell shaded one) and forgotten sands.

price of persia has missing textures so i can only tell where my guy is by the dust particles and his outline.

forgotten sands says something about waiting for a connection to reconnect and the only other option is to quit the game.

so... don't buy those games.[/QUOTE]

Forgotten Sands uses "3rd-party DRM: Ubisoft’s Online Services Platform. Ubisoft requires a permanent Internet connection to play this video game at all times.", which is partially why I avoided it. Anyway, the daily deal on them is over.

My Haul today The Witcher ($5) , Puzzle Quest ($1.50) and Bioshock 2 ($7.50) for a total of $14. With Gamefly starting tomorrow at 1 eastern the same time as the new steam deals I really need to hide my wallet! Also the XBLA and PSN sales man it's a good time to be a CAG!!!

FYI- come on pop cap pack!!!! or at least Plants vs Zombies GOTY!!!

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']I totally agree with this! The ads aren't in your face or anything, they are on billboards, like in real life so it makes the experience more real, which I love.

And also to answer the question before comparing this game to Blur, I've played both, and I must say I like BurnOut: Paradise much better. Blur got old pretty quickly, but BurnOut is so much better. There is so much variety in the game it is a great deal to pick it up right now.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100% with this. I didn't even remember about the ads until I read this, they're on billboards, and don't interfere with gameplay at all. One of the reasons I love this game is that is is so open-ended, there are so many places you can go and different challenges you can choose to do. I liked Blur, but if put against each other, Burnout Paradise wins hands down.

Totally picked up The Witcher and LC:GoL. Been waiting for a $5 price point on The Witcher forever! Not really bummed about spending $1.50 more on LC:GoL. I still save money because i would've had to buy a different TR game in the past. Besides, $1.50 isn't THAT much more. Sure as hell not going to worry about not being able to buy groceries or gas.

Also, GREAT price on Defense Grid. Really fun TD game.

[quote name='sotc1988']Any necessary mods for The Witcher? Hopefully something graphics-wise because it does look quite dated.[/QUOTE]

Vanilla is the way to go

Bought The Polynomial and Lara Croft: The Guardian of Light (since it was the "holiday bonus discount" offer)

I was considering RE 5 but no DLC and still a steep price= no buy (for now)...hopefully it will be $4.99 next year.

Bioshock 2 still requires GFWL even through steam right?

Someone should make a "Yo dawg, I heard you like DRM so we put DRM in your DRM..."

[quote name='Antipodes']Bioshock 2 still requires GFWL even through steam right?

Someone should make a "Yo dawg, I heard you like DRM so we put DRM in your DRM..."[/QUOTE]

Are you saying someone else should do it because you don't want to be known as the person that had to use the really annoying meme?

[quote name='Pollox']Forgotten Sands uses "3rd-party DRM: Ubisoft’s Online Services Platform. Ubisoft requires a permanent Internet connection to play this video game at all times.", which is partially why I avoided it. Anyway, the daily deal on them is over.[/QUOTE]
Wait, what? Dammit, I promised not to buy any games with that DRM. I wouldn't have forked over $7.50 if I knew about that.

Guess this leaves me no choice but to leave a flaming paper bag in front of Ubisoft's headquarters.

[quote name='Antipodes']Bioshock 2 still requires GFWL even through steam right?

Someone should make a "Yo dawg, I heard you like DRM so we put DRM in your DRM..."[/QUOTE]

Is google that hard?

xzibit.jpg

[quote name='BitLooter']Wait, what? Dammit, I promised not to buy any games with that DRM. I wouldn't have forked over $7.50 if I knew about that.

Guess this leaves me no choice but to leave a flaming paper bag in front of Ubisoft's headquarters.[/QUOTE]

I thought they removed the drm in the retail version. Must not have on steam.

Man, I thought about Burnout pretty hard. In the end, I'm passing because I already have a Steam racing game I haven't played, and I'm busy loving Hot Pursuit on 360. $5 is great, but I just don't need it.

Wait...did I actually turn down a crazy good deal? I must be sick!

THe concept of need is a very slippery slope there.

Theoretically speaking, we don't need games.

In practice, I've spend at least 10 bucks per day of sale on steam since BF sale D:

Today was The Witcher and Burnout for me :D

[quote name='BitLooter']Wait, what? Dammit, I promised not to buy any games with that DRM. I wouldn't have forked over $7.50 if I knew about that.

Guess this leaves me no choice but to leave a flaming paper bag in front of Ubisoft's headquarters.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I am behind the bag plan (assuming you are putting dog poo inside). I suppose this is a good reminder to all of us that care about such things to carefully check the steam store page for details on third party drm, which is something one can easily forget in the excitement of these sales.

[quote name='crystalklear64']bought prince of persia (the cell shaded one) and forgotten sands.

I had the same problem with Prince of Persia Sands of Time from this steam sale. Apparently the missing texture is an issue with Nvidia cards and system settings. I found a fix for mine by turning a setting called fog in the options to "off". Not sure if it's the same for PoP cell shaded one, but try messing with the graphic settings, maybe something will work.

[quote name='Pollox']Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I am behind the bag plan (assuming you are putting dog poo inside). I suppose this is a good reminder to all of us that care about such things to carefully check the steam store page for details on third party drm, which is something one can easily forget in the excitement of these sales.[/QUOTE]
I'm so glad I noticed that before I bit the bullet. I was like...."this seems oddly familiar...wait...Ass Creed 2...FORGET THIS!!" lol

[quote name='panzerfaust']Super Meat Boy is pretty fun, I couldn't imagine paying the full $15 for it though.[/QUOTE]

Shhhhh, ick-snay on the fif-snay, teen-ick, dollars-say. They just did that a few weeks ago and some of them are very sensitive about it. They were hoodwinked and the less we rub it in that we got our copy for $3.75, THREE DOLLARS AND SEVENTY-FIVE CENTS OF BLOCK OF MEAT BEATING A JAR WITH A FETUS IN IT TO A PULP OVER A WALKING GAUZE GIRL, $3.75, the better.

People have feelings, y'know.

Ya know what? Super Meat Boy...kind of a shitty port. Don't get me wrong it's still a great game and they have been patching it and patching it but between the bugs and the fact that it is absolutely mired in console trappings really takes it down a peg.

I'm genuinely worried about the Wii version at this point. (which I was looking forward to as well because yo the 360 d-pad sucks ass)

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Ya know what? Super Meat Boy...kind of a shitty port. Don't get me wrong it's still a great game and they have been patching it and patching it but between the bugs and the fact that it is absolutely mired in console trappings really takes it down a peg.

I'm genuinely worried about the Wii version at this point. (which I was looking forward to as well because yo the 360 d-pad sucks ass)[/QUOTE]

That's what the 360 analog stick is for. It works perfectly fine with it.

I don't care about Super Meat Boy going on sale after I pre-ordered it. Even if I had gotten it on sale, I seriously would have sent the developers the difference as a straight up donation. They're just fucking awesome.

...absolutely mired in console trappings really takes it down a peg.
What are "console trappings"?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']What are "console trappings"?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what the OP meant. That Super Meat Boy was designed for console, and that a port to PC doesn't fit the game well? Personally, I can't imagine playing the game without a gamepad.

The menus and overworld are hard-coded to the 360 button mappings, the fact that the controls can't be re-mapped at all in-game, no mouse support, the very obvious 'Help & Options' on the main menu which is derived from XBLA games, the fact that it shows a 360 pad as soon as you load the game, and so forth. It's a 360 XBLA port through and through.

Moreover it's poorly optimized and has wildly varying degrees of input lag depending on the device used to control it. (basically anything which isn't a 360 pad is a crapshoot)

Like I said, it's still a great game but the PC port leaves a lot to be desired.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Super Meat Boy is pretty fun, I couldn't imagine paying the full $15 for it though.[/QUOTE]

But, but, but $15 is the new $10! Every downloadable game must be $15 now!

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']The menus and overworld are hard-coded to the 360 button mappings, the fact that the controls can't be re-mapped at all in-game, no mouse support, the very obvious 'Help & Options' on the main menu which is derived from XBLA games, the fact that it shows a 360 pad as soon as you load the game, and so forth. It's a 360 XBLA port through and through.

Moreover it's poorly optimized and has wildly varying degrees of input lag depending on the device used to control it. (basically anything which isn't a 360 pad is a crapshoot)

Like I said, it's still a great game but the PC port leaves a lot to be desired.[/QUOTE]

Its about as lazy as a port as they get.
I'm glad i only payed 3.75. Game is not even close to being worth 15.

I have to echo the sentiment of Super Meat Boy being an atrocious port -- "poorly optimized" is a very accurate description.

If you want the best experience then you absolutely need to cop it for the 360.

[quote name='M_F_A_H']I have to echo the sentiment of Super Meat Boy being an atrocious port -- "poorly optimized" is a very accurate description.

If you want the best experience then you absolutely need to cop it for the 360.[/QUOTE]

I really don't understand the problems people are having with this game. I got the game, both on the xbox and pc and haven't had any problems and have had a great time.

[quote name='SadExchange82']I really don't understand the problems people are having with this game. I got the game, both on the xbox and pc and haven't had any problems and have had a great time.[/QUOTE]

Check out the Steam forums if you want to read about all the issues SMB has for less fortunate people than yourself.

[quote name='sotc1988']Any necessary mods for The Witcher? Hopefully something graphics-wise because it does look quite dated.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if I would call these necessary but I used a few mods for my play through.

The Witcher Texturen Mod:
ModDB
Witcher Forums
This mod sharpens a lot of the background textures like buildings and terrain as well as things like the armor in the game.

Hi-Res Character Mod:
Witcher Forums
This mod is a nice compliment to the texture mod above and mainly focuses on NPCs, monsters, and animals.

Stuff to make Geralt's Life Easier:
Witcher Forums
This is a small mod that makes a few changes that mean less running around for you. It allows you to meditate anywhere (instead of having to search for a campfire or fireplace) and it allows you to access your bank at any time (instead of having to run back to town and find an innkeeper). The latter is a real life saver when you are out picking flowers and your alchemy bag is full or you want to make a potion without running back to town.

List of other mods.

It has been a while since I played so I don't remember how big of a difference the texture mods make to the game. But worth checking out if the game looks dated to you.

People calling SMB a "port" don't know what's going on. The Xbox 360 version was the last version to go into development. They didn't even have a 360 devkit until at least a year into production. The engine was written and completed entirely on PC, before they even started the 360 version, which is the real "port."

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']The menus and overworld are hard-coded to the 360 button mappings[/QUOTE]
Ah yes, totally game-breaking.

the fact that the controls can't be re-mapped at all in-game
Oh, boo hoo. You wanna talk about real PC gaming, let's talk about the real old-school when we had to write custom autoexec.bat files and boot disks and allocate each precious megabyte of RAM manually for nearly every single different game and most game settings were in external config files, anyways.

But they're adding in in-game button mapping, anyways.

no mouse support
What the hell would you use a mouse for? The menus are simple enough to work fine with keyboard/gamepad input, and the gameplay itself sure as hell doesn't need a mouse. You'd be doing more work to reach over and grab your mouse, when you wouldn't be using it for anything but menu navigation. Do you really need to, like, click on levels to start them or something? They wanted to keep the presentation similar to classic platforming games, and I don't remember being able to use the SNES mouse in Super Mario World.

"the very obvious 'Help & Options' on the main menu which is derived from XBLA games,"
Why, yes, "Help & Options," only console games have menu options like that.

the fact that it shows a 360 pad as soon as you load the game, and so forth.
They make no secret of their preference for the 360 pad, to play the game. It's just a recommendation.

It's not their fault that DirectInput sucks.

Yes, the PC version has some problems, but this retarded prattling on about "ZOMG PORT! CONSOLE PORT, IT SUCKS BECAUSE OF CONSOLE! ANY TIME A MULTIPLATFORM GAME HAS ANY PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER ON THE PC, IT'S BECAUSE IT'S A LAZY PORT, AND IT CERTAINLY DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE INFINITE VARIETY AND NON-STANDARD AND UNPREDICTABLE NATURE OF THE PC AS A SOFTWARE PLATFORM! IF A GAME DOESN'T HAVE THIS LIST OF RANDOM MINUSCULE NIT-PICKING FEATURES THAT I BELIEVE ARE REQUIRED FOR A TRUE PC GAME, LIKE BEING ABLE TO USE BIZARRE AND RANDOM KEYS TO NAVIGATE THE MENUS, THEN IT'S A LAZY PORT" bullshit needs to stop. There are problems, and they're working on fixes, and are committed to doing so until the game works properly for as many people as possible. This is completely normal, for "true" PC games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSI Magus']Still on the fence for Burnout and Witcher...I just can not seem to decide one way or the other.[/QUOTE]
I bought both a while ago, and have been glad for it. They're great. But if I had to chose one, I'd pick Witcher.

Check the Steam Forums for the respective games. It may take a bit of searching, but it's very likely that someone else had your exact problem and found a solution.

I know that the Nvidia 8800 series had issues with the original PoP games (Sands of Time on), and turning off Fog fixed the issue. I found that in the Steam Forums for those games, so take a look.

Super Meat Boy has a slight timing issue that can be fixed by enabling Vsync in your graphics card's options. Other than that, I've had no troubles with the port. I do, however, use a 360 controller, so I don't feel "left out" when I'm told to plug in a gamepad. The game has its problems, but it was an excellent buy for $3.75. In fact, it's the standout of all the games I've purchased so far.

Simply put, though, the game needs the right hardware to run, whether it be a decent PC or a 360 controller. Team Meat doesn't mind being overt about such things. (I would expect no less from a team that began their careers on Newgrounds. [Not that that's a bad thing, mind you; You play Castle Crashers, right?])

For what it's worth, the intro, or prologue, looks and plays the worst. Once you get to Chapter 1, the graphics seem to improve, and the game really picks up. Maybe I just got used to it, but I'm in Chapter 2 now and think the graphics look pretty good, easily comparable to Fallout 3 or Dragon Age.

Pulled the trigger on:

Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Burnout
Puzzle Quest

for $7

Plus I purchased Fallout GOTY for $20.xx

Hopefully they have a deal on Borderlands GOTY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back