Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zipomatic2']I already have everything I want from todays deals except for Ass Creed 2 and I don't buy games unless they are 75% off.... oh well, a couple of good games there today.

Bully is a LOT of fun if anyone is on the fence about buying that one.[/QUOTE]

Ass Creed 2? I didn't think steam sold those types of games. Wait then again it is called steam ;)

My wallet thanks thee Lord Steam for providing solace from magically emptying itself, even if it's just a day.

hot damn just cause 2 looks tempting but i must relent! gotta wait for borderlands!

[quote name='macschwag14']Yeah, nothing. A rare miss.

BTW, whatever happened to Spore? I thought they were going to expansion pack the hell out of that thing like they did The Sims.[/QUOTE]
DRM happened.

[quote name='Afrodiziak']Today's daily deals are horrible. I'd argue that most of them aren't even deals.[/QUOTE]

They are deals, they are just deals that we got recently for the most part or on stuff thats so old we all own it already.

This may be a repeat of last year though, I dont know how many of you recall but the sale started strong and then was pretty weak throughout the rest of the sale with just a game or two worth picking up every day or two. I had already tempered my excitement and resigned to the fact that chances are it would start strong and then be meh to the last day or two.

Nice, I needed an off day for this sale. I was starting to worry about how much I would end up spending. Still grabbing Trials 2 and considering Bully...

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Wait spore is 19.99 or 7.50?[/QUOTE]
Spore is 7.50 the package with all of them is 20. It's a bit deceiving.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Wait spore is 19.99 or 7.50?[/QUOTE]

Spore itself is $7.50. The $19.99 would be Spore + all of its expansions, which are also on sale individually

Bully on PS2 is one of my all-time favorite games. The ported-from-360 PC version, not so much.

I've had the Trials 2 demo for a while; I got a big kick out of the abuse factor. Buying.

I'm loving this steam sale. After getting a lot of games the past few sales I don't want as much except a few indie games. There are some games like Fallout 3 GOTY I want but I can wait for awhile on them due to backlog and other stuff.

Skipped yesterday, but I think I may pick up Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale today. Anyone have an opinion on the game?

[quote name='reimu']Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - $6.80 (66% off)[/quote]Woo!

Now; to buy, or wait until a future sale where it might be bundled in an indie pack...

[quote name='reimu']Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - $6.80 (66% off)[/quote]Woo!

Now, to buy or wait until a future sale where it might be bundled in an indie pack...

[quote name='N64FanBoy']Skipped yesterday, but I think I may pick up Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale today. Anyone have an opinion on the game?[/QUOTE]
IT IS AWESOME. Not without some flaws, of course (as any indie game is), and repetition sets in eventually, but worth full price IMO and thus easily worth the asking price today.

[quote name='N64FanBoy']Skipped yesterday, but I think I may pick up Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale today. Anyone have an opinion on the game?[/QUOTE]

I got it during the last sale. I cannot express how much I enjoy this game. Its a ton of fun!

So far so good. 3 days and I havent bought anything from the sales yet. The last 2 days there were some tempting things, thank god todays sale was for shit......

Great game, I pre-ordered it just from the demo and don't regret it at all.
Keep in mind that it's a game where you're going to to lose a few times, but when you start over you keep your levels and items.

Damn, No Borderlands GOTY.

I was wondering why the GOTY edition isn't already 33% off?? I'm not gonna buy it at that price and I think they will probably drop Borderlands Base to $9.99 I'm hoping for a great deal on the GOTY.

Recettear was in one of the $5 Indie packs during the November Give and Get for what it's worth...I bought it but haven't had time to play since the demo version back whenever that came out. Combat is kind of anemic if you go dungeon hunting/crawling, but I enjoyed the shop sim parts far more anyway.

Nothing for me today. Not to disappointed as it'll give me a chance to play what I've already picked up. I am kinda tempted by Bully but I don't think I'll bite on it.

Why is everyone so bummed? Aren't there 11 more days to be unveiled?
If they put everything you wanted in one day, the rest of the sale really would be meh.

It's fucking stupid, and it's about inventory management. I guess that last part wasn't an opinion so much as me expressing shock that they would actually build a game around the worst part of a game.

[youtube]LN47wFcnRJc[/youtube][youtube]HOQNL595lXg[/youtube]

Holiday Sale Daily Deals
12/22

[youtube]YmRN3AFRbZA[/youtube][youtube]nt4k3b-dUqI[/youtube]

Wow, the last two days I had to convince myself to not buy multiple games (only gave in for puzzle quest for 1.50).

But today....only one I am considering is Just Cause 2. Nothing else interests me...I really liked the JC2 demo I played on xbox, but I am not sure I want to play 7.50 to play it. Anyone want to convince me either way on JC2?

Interested in spore but not at that price. The issue is that spore can normally be found in the 10-15 price range. So 75% off of full retail is pretty bad. Glad there's no games I'm on the fence for, for today's sale.

[quote name='mtxbass1']No love for Just Cause 2 ...[/QUOTE]

Probably because it's been on sale for that amount twice already in the last month: once as part of a Thanksgiving pack and again during the Treasure Hunt sale.

[quote name='gunm']I would like Recettear, so why am I balking at $6.80?[/QUOTE]

Because it's not that great of a deal -- was sold in an indie pack during Thanksgiving for $5 along with four other games.

So Steam people...is there some "trick" to getting backups to actually restore? So far every time I've tried, it just redownloads the entire game, which is far less than ideal...

[quote name='Cojack426']You know it's not the strongest day for dailies when Railworks 2 is on the frontpage. C'MON MAN!!!![/QUOTE]

I was thinking of getting Railworks 2...

Well there's certainly no "Witcher" deals today haha. I say you can safely pass on everyday today.

My thoughts on today's deals:

The Trials 2 doesn't look too bad for $2.50. Got an average critic score of 8/10 on Gamespot. It's a stunt performer game and possibly a physics-puzzle game as well. Need to find out if "designing the tracks" is a significant part of the gameplay too. That makes the difference between great deal and ok deal. probably the better deal of them all today.

Bully for $3.75 is ok. Never played, but read some about it. It's a PC Port from the console, but it's also been patched several times. Metacritic user score 63/100 / critic score 72/100. Die-hard fans of Rockstar games would like. What are you opinions? A lot of critic reviews tore up the PC port (when it was first ported before the patches), so it really depends on what the user reviews say now. Anyone have this?

Everything else...crap.

Don't worry about COD: Modern Warfare, you can get it cheaper in many other places. Even steam has the COD pack once in awhile with this game and all the others for like $20-30.

Recetter will be in another $5 Indie Pack - just you wait.

Tales of Monkey Island - waaaay too high. WAAY too high. great game franchise, but $17? No way.

Spore. Metacritic gave it a 84/100 from critic reviews, HOWEVER, gamers don't see it the same way - giving it a user score of 46/100 - FAIL.

Zuma's Revenge = good ratings, but doesn't look like an $8 steal.

Aliens VS Predators. Aren't we all tired of them by now lol?

Assassins Creed 2, cheaper at many other places by now. $5 would have been better. $15 too high. The original for $3.50 woulda worked and been realistic deal too.

Just Cause 2, too high. Wait longer. $5 woulda worked perhaps.

tis a sad day of deals yes. but merry day for saving for the future. ;)
need more $5 and under deals steam. Killing us here! Ya killing us!

[quote name='Psybuster']Recettear was in one of the $5 Indie packs during the November Give and Get for what it's worth...I bought it but haven't had time to play since the demo version back whenever that came out. Combat is kind of anemic if you go dungeon hunting/crawling, but I enjoyed the shop sim parts far more anyway.[/QUOTE]
Same here. Now that was the total steal, because you basically got 4 other games for nothing since that game alone was worth more than $5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zuma's Revenge is really a great casual puzzle game (and very challenging, but not as hard as Zuma 1). It also has Steam Achievements. Anyone who enjoys Zuma at all should snag it.

Today's deals are great for those that missed the Thanksgiving/Black Friday deals.

For those of us that took advantage of Thanksgiving/Black Friday deals - Today's deals suck somewhat.

I am thankful for the break in my wallet though!

[quote name='Wolfmight']
Monkey Island Pack for $17.49 doesn't even feel like it's on sale. I got the Monkey Island 2 remake for $2 off steam in the november sale, and it's certainly fun but definately not worth $17.49 for the 3D version. Is this even a pack? Steam shows it as one game as far as I see.$5.[/QUOTE]

Well it's the complete 'season' -- Tales was released episodically like Telltale's other games. Still, it's basically one game's worth of content. That said, it was being sold for $5 (all episodes) during a week long promo back in September or October (for pirate week I believe). Really unimpressive for it to be only 50% off as a Christmas daily.

Anyone have any thoughts on the indie packs? Definitely getting the fright pack even though I already have Zombie Driver. Was thinking about the Audio Pack. Also considering Amnesia but thinking it might hit a daily deal.

Weak deals today. I've played 4 hours of recetter, and its been ok. If you have 0 backlog and must play it now, $7 is not a bad price. But I was expecting this for $2.50. I got it as part of the $5 indie bundle, making it basicly $1. Thats a huge jump from their last sale. Seems really odd

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back