Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Which of these is better?

Wings of Prey
Fear 2
Battlefield: BC 2

?

[quote name='wilflare']bought it :D thanks for the recommendations![/QUOTE]
Fantastic. Yeah, $10 is definately no loss on ME:1 in my opinion as well. Whether it's 5 or 10, your still getting a massively enjoyable game that blows away games like The Witcher, etc. $5 doesn't make much difference in this special case.

[quote name='Wolfmight']Which of these is better?

Wings of Prey
Fear 2

?

Fantastic. Yeah, $10 is definately no loss on ME:1 in my opinion as well. Whether it's 5 or 10, your still getting a massively enjoyable game that blows away games like The Witcher, etc. $5 doesn't make much difference in this special case.[/QUOTE]
BFBC2

God I hope they have new sales up today and none of this second chance crap.

[quote name='Wolfmight']Which of these is better?

Wings of Prey
Fear 2

?
[/QUOTE]

BC2.

Managed to control myself from buying ME1 and 2. I know it is worth it, but trying to get more games on the cheap side, will wait fo a better sale.

[quote name='Khamous']BC2.

Managed to control myself from buying ME1 and 2. I know it is worth it, but trying to get more games on the cheap side, will wait fo a better sale.[/QUOTE]

Mass Effect 2 was one of the more enjoyable games I have played in my lifetime. It's definitely worth 10 dollars. ME1 was good too, but ME2 was definitely the better of the two.

Stupid CAG endorsments and stupid Steam with their sales....

Over this freakin holiday sale, I have picked up Super Meat Boy, Civ 4 Gold Edition, KOTOR, ME1 and ME2, and activated my humble indie bundle 1 and 2

odd request would someone gift me Fear COMPLETE the $9.99 sale? Im trying to log in, and from 4 different computers its saying server error, ill gift you $9.99 paypal?

If no one has offered yet, I would be able to do it... but it would have to be in the next 10 min, have to leave soon. PM me so we can work it out.

Yeah both Modern warfare deals were meh. The first game for $15, no thank you. Even more so with better games like BC2 selling for $6.80.

[quote name='Terlan']Yeah both Modern warfare deals were meh. The first game for $15, no thank you. Even more so with better games like BC2 selling for $6.80.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think even $6.80 for MW (like BC2), and $15 ish for MW2 would really make people happy. But 15 and 30 are both somewhat disappointing. I agree, I'd much much rather have BC2 for $6.80.

Either way, I have all 3 of the aforementioned games on 360 anyways.

"Ouch" at Street Fighter IV - Do we need to remind Capcom that we're not buying the SUPER version?

I'm starting to think I'll never see Dark Void for a decent price.

Hrm, not much for me today, sadly. Some great deals, just not on games I really want to pick up. Seems like that's been the trend the past couple of days. Ah well, I don't really need to spend the cash, or add to my already huge backlog. Still hoping that Civ IV gets a daily deal, although i'm thinking it less and less likely.

Can someone please post the entire deal list for today? There are two titles that are showing up as not available for my region, curious to know what they are.

Thinking hard on Killing Floor, but it looks more than a little similar to L4D2... anyone played? Is there any reason to own both? I loved L4D but I haven't had the chance to boot up L4D2 yet.

Killing Floor Bundle (includes game & 4 character packs) $6.99
Serious Sam Gold Edition $3.99
Mirror's Edge $4.99
Machinarium $2.99
Tom Clancy's HAWX 2 $33.49
EVE Online: Incursion $4.99
Cities XL 2011 $19.99
Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum $9.99
Street Fighter IV $14.99
Lost Planet 2 $19.99
Star Wars: KOTOR $2.49
Victoria games 70% off

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']thinking about getting knights of the old republic. how does it compare to modern RPGs? Does it have a good story? gameplay?[/QUOTE]
IMO, it's already incredibly outdated compared to the stuff Bioware is putting out now.

I'm tempted on NWN2 and Power of Defense. Any thoughts on the two of them? I played the original NWN but never 2. Isn't 2 pretty dated now?

[quote name='zillionandnine']Killing Floor Bundle (includes game & 4 character packs) $6.99
Serious Sam Gold Edition $3.99
Mirror's Edge $4.99
Machinarium $2.99
Tom Clancy's HAWX 2 $33.49
EVE Online: Incursion $4.99
Cities XL 2011 $19.99
Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum $9.99
Street Fighter IV $14.99
Lost Planet 2 $19.99
Star Wars: KOTOR $2.49
Victoria games 70% off[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Lost Planet 2 are apparently not for sale to me.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']thinking about getting knights of the old republic. how does it compare to modern RPGs? Does it have a good story? gameplay?[/QUOTE]

It's very much a "modern RPG." It laid the foundation for Mass Effect. Also, it's better than Mass Effect.

Not to be missed, for $2.49.

Serious Sam HD Gold for $3.99? Neverwinter Nights two for $10...double sold..dammit. Also seeing Mirrors Edge keeps my hopes for Dead Space < 5...good day, good day...

It's one of Bioware's best games and the story is just as good as the original trilogy.

You really do yourself a disservice if you have not played this game yet.

Especially, if you like the Star Wars universe.

I enjoyed it more than Mass Effect and I played them around a similar time. Then again I'm a pretty big Star Wars fan.

[quote name='TestType']Thanks a lot, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Lost Planet 2 are apparently not for sale to me.[/QUOTE]
Mine did that as well until I refreshed the page

[quote name='evildeadjedi']It's one of Bioware's best games and the story is just as good as the original trilogy.

Especially if you like the Star Wars universe.[/QUOTE]

alright im download right now!

SW: KOTOR is one of the best games I've ever played. The story is not to be missed. As for me, I'm just going to get the last two skin packs I need for KF. If anyone is on the fence about KF just get it. Intense gameplay, an excellent community, and awesome dev support make it an easy buy. Can't recommend it enough.

Fairly acceptable graphics compared to modern RPGs, HOWEVER - fantastic gameplay. I beat it awhile back and $2.49 is a fantastic steal deal for the game. Very open ended sandbox style game worlds that don't limit your exploration. Lots of side quests. Great mini-games and puzzles as well.

NOTE: The game does have a problem with running on Windows Vista and Windows 7. You have to disable movies for it to start-up, else it'll crash to the desktop when you try to start it up. Bunch of crap, and Bioware won't take the time to apply a little fix here. Some people have released some custom fixes to repair it, but they had to ultilize No-CD patches and other people debate if Steam would have a problem with them or not (most likely not).
Windows XP plays it best.

I'm tempted by this "Mirror's Edge." Anyone play it?

Machinarium can be obtained waaaaaaay cheaper at this very moment from the "Humble Bundle #2" pack. See: Google Search lol

Street Fighter IV is much better with a console controller or that Street Fighter IV arcade pad. I've played it both on pc and console and the controller is much easier. Get Super Street Fighter IV instead. Way better.

Heard good stuff about Serious Sam HD. Gonna read into it.

^Wolfmight does just compatibility mode work for it on 7 or do you have to disable movies as well?

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']alright im download right now![/QUOTE]

Good job!

[quote name='dudejeff22']Thinking hard on Killing Floor, but it looks more than a little similar to L4D2... anyone played? Is there any reason to own both? I loved L4D but I haven't had the chance to boot up L4D2 yet.[/QUOTE]
It is not even remotely like L4D, in any way, other than that it's a co-op game versus zombies. Absolutely everything about the gameplay, the goals of the game, the strategy, the teamwork, the pacing, the persistent character leveling, the "feel," and the combat itself (Killing Floor has the most satisfying weapon feedback in any FPS ever, pretty much) is completely different from L4D.

So, yes, there is a reason to own both. KF is pretty much my favorite FPS, and I've put hundreds of hours into it, more than anything except Unreal Tournament, basically.

[quote name='Fearbeard']Maybe the Serious Sam pack... never played the games and have the urge for a crazy pure action FPS[/QUOTE]
Get it. Serious Sam is the most over-the-top, out of control FPS since Doom. Terrific fun, in-coop. I've been playing ever since the original came out back in 2001 (remember, the Gold pack gets you both the original versions, and the remakes).

Bulletstorm only wishes it could be half as insane as Serious Sam.

I'm amused how SFIV is more expensive compared to when it was a daily deal last year ($10)

Also Lost Planet 2 is $15.99 if you own LP1.

Serious Sam Gold is a great value at $4 if you like pure FPS games -- no frills just straight up, old school waves of monsters. You can also pick up the two pack for $3 if you don't care about the Gold Edition content (which is limited to just the original versions of the game, I think). Additionally, you can just buy the Second Encounter that, while it lacks the first's campaign, it has survival mode (which the First Encounter lacks) and it's basically the same game play just different corridors of monsters.

Why the hell does steam keep declining my card now? I got more than enough money in there, my wife and I are very good with our bills.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']It's one of Bioware's best games and the story is just as good as the original trilogy.

Especially, if you like the Star Wars universe.[/QUOTE]

I'm one of those people that think fondly of old style graphics. So while I say that, I only think fondly of it, but can't really stomach playing them. The graphics are extremely dated, and it felt more like playing a visual novel at points. You would get to some parts, then start reading text, make a choice, read more text, walk around, computer auto plays your character for you in combat, read more text. So, yeah, the story is good, but the graphics are dated. The reason I got this was because I remember how the glowing reviews for this game when it came out.

For Killing Floor, the idea of persistent upgrades appeal to me but the screenshots make it seem like there's only 2 types of enemies I'm going to be fighting against.

KOTOR is a must at this price. Machinarium is a rip-off considering it's just a tiny FLASH-based game..... Not buying anything today, going to spend $12 on Mafia II from amazon instead... :)

Most likely gonna buy Serious Sam, KOTOR
Anyone have any opinions on killing floor? Any good or should I just get L4D2?
Machinarium is kinda bad at this price considering you could've got it with the humbke bundle.

Nothing for me. I already own NWN2 + MoB on disc, as well as KotOR. Oh well, more money in my pocket.

Edit: Scratch that. Think I'll grab KotOR and sell my discrete copy. It's still sealed :)

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's very much a "modern RPG." It laid the foundation for Mass Effect. Also, it's better than Mass Effect.

Not to be missed, for $2.49.[/QUOTE]

I agree that it set the foundation for Mass Effect and it will be a great debate whether it is better than Mass Effect but that's like debating a Ferrari and a Lamborghini. You really can't go wrong with either. Also IMHO best Stars Wars story in the last 15 years easy! For $2.50 it should not be missed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back