Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
In 4 Crysis Maximum package.... Global Agenda looks interesting, downloading demo now, ouch-- it's 12GB!!!

Can anyone tell me if IL2 is playable on a keyboard?

[quote name='frpilot']just picked up global agenda and crysis complete.

so far, i've spent $352.04 on steam since the christmas sale began. i can easily say i will be close to $600 after picking up a couple packages near the end. do you guys see anything wrong with this?[/QUOTE]

Sir, your post alone convinced me that it is OK to get the King's Bounty Platinum pack AND the Crysis Max pack!

[quote name='jazyje']

Can anyone tell me if IL2 is playable on a keyboard?[/QUOTE]

Not really. It's pretty brutal and unforgiving. It might not be too bad if you turned everything as easy as you can. But it can get hardcore.

What's everyone opinion on King's Bounty? what kind of games does it compare to? I'm on the fence of picking it up so someone please persuade me other wise!

I'm downloading the Global Agenda demo now. If anyone is interested in trying it out tonight with me let me know. I will be on probably around 7-8 CST

[quote name='forbiddenx']What's everyone opinion on King's Bounty? what kind of games does it compare to? I'm on the fence of picking it up so someone please persuade me other wise![/QUOTE]

It's a strategy RPG in the vein of Heroes of Might and Magic. It takes a lot of folks 80 hours just to finish the first game. That $8.74 is getting you a lot of hours of gameplay. I believe there's demo out there so you can try before you buy.

[quote name='Trelow']Not really. It's pretty brutal and unforgiving. It might not be too bad if you turned everything as easy as you can. But it can get hardcore.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, so I probably would NOT be able to use 360 controller either.... BUMMER!

Dang, those are some nice deals today. If you're looking for fast paced shooters, there are some great discounts for this set, and even a few other good games for their genres like Sim City 4 and Dirt 2 in there as well.

Also with Crysis: if you're only intrested in the multiplayer, you can probably skip the original Crysis and just get Warhead (which comes with Crysis Wars, which is all of the multiplayer that was in the original game plus extras). If you want the singleplayer experience then the original Crysis is the best pick, but you might as well play through both at that price.

Global Agenda is actually a pretty decent third person shooter/RPG. The team vs team multiplayer matches have some similarities to Team Fortress 2 (but with Jetpacks!), and it has quite a bit of variety for coop. It's worth a try for the price, and note that the "demo" on Steam downloads the full game: if you play the demo, then upgrade, you won't have to download anything extra.

Section 8 is a maybe I think, not as good as the two above but not bad from what I played either. It seems like it tried to capture some of the classic Tribes gameplay, and to that extent it nearly succeeds, but it doesn't really feel like it's all it could've been. Still, again, for $5 it's probably worth checking out (and it has Live Achievements, if that makes a difference to anyone).

[quote name='jazyje']Hmmm, so I probably would NOT be able to use 360 controller either.... BUMMER![/QUOTE]

It recognizes the 360 controller, but I imagine it'd be pretty touchy with the thumbsticks.

[quote name='frpilot']according to this article

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/12/ea-games-officially-come-to-steam-sans-drm.ars

crysis on steam has gone away with drm.[/QUOTE]

That article is from 2008...and it's really dodgy in it's ability to clearly state objective fact. Meanwhile, Steam still currently displays that both Crysis and Warhead contain the activation limit DRM. Many on various forums have stated this from first-hand experience in dealing with EA support.

As I mentioned before, Warhead at least has a deauthorization tool. Crysis does not. Once the 5 activations are depleted, one has to run the gamut with EA's customer service support, beg, and jump through hoops to get even 1 extra activation license.

EA needs to simply get rid of it. It is pointless considering it is on Steam. Just utter stupidity that I will never support.

[quote name='forbiddenx']What's everyone opinion on King's Bounty? what kind of games does it compare to? I'm on the fence of picking it up so someone please persuade me other wise![/QUOTE]

As mentioned above it's a turn based tactical strategy with RPG elements mixed in -- although it is predominantly the former as opposed to the latter. I've only played through about the first 30% of the first one and already have 35+ hours of play time so, indeed, the whole pack will give you 150+ hours or more. There's a demo of Armored Princess on Steam. Alternatively if you just watch a few 'Let's Play' videos on YouTube you'll pretty much get the gist of it.

[quote name='Mike UFC']It's a strategy RPG in the vein of Heroes of Might and Magic. It takes a lot of folks 80 hours just to finish the first game. That $8.74 is getting you a lot of hours of gameplay. I believe there's demo out there so you can try before you buy.[/QUOTE]

If you've only got time for one demo, play Armored Princess so you can mess around with your little dragon helper.

Thanks for the feedback guys I think i'm going to be picking it up soon!

Also, for those interested in Lost Horizon and live in Europe, the North American price is $10 compared to 20Euros. If anyone is interested in picking it up for the North American price send me a PM and I'll be sure to help you out :)

LOL...I bought King's bounty pack, knowing full well that my game time is pretty limited and I have a lot of games to catch up on, but the price...augh....drat you steam ..:)

[quote name='cheapo72']For anyone interested in Trine, today saw the release of the Frozenbyte Pack which includes Trine and the developer's earlier (and also excellent) Shadowgrounds games for $6.[/QUOTE]

Great deal for that.

[quote name='cheapo72']For anyone interested in Trine, today saw the release of the Frozenbyte Pack which includes Trine and the developer's earlier (and also excellent) Shadowgrounds games for $6.[/QUOTE]
wow thanks. I was going to pick up Shadowgrounds at the end of the sale and have Trine on PSN but now I will pick up all three for just a few cents more.

Damn you valve. Just when I thought I was done for the day, i go back and pick up Rush. And then I start eying SimCity 4. Thankfully the forums seem to indicate that SC4 has some issues on newer machines, and I don't feel like taking the time to patch a 6 year old game, so I think I'll be dodging that bullet.

Still, very tempting. We'll see if I end up picking it up before the sale changes, tomorrow.

Ended up grabbing section 8. Seems like a decent game for $5, and if I like it all the more reason to pick up the sequel for $15 next year. Decided against anything else today though.

I may buy SimCity 4 myself. Damn you Steam, everyday there is something I would like....my wallet is starting to run dry ._.
Someone convince me not to get it...

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']That article is from 2008...and it's really dodgy in it's ability to clearly state objective fact. Meanwhile, Steam still currently displays that both Crysis and Warhead contain the activation limit DRM. Many on various forums have stated this from first-hand experience in dealing with EA support.

As I mentioned before, Warhead at least has a deauthorization tool. Crysis does not. Once the 5 activations are depleted, one has to run the gamut with EA's customer service support, beg, and jump through hoops to get even 1 extra activation license.

EA needs to simply get rid of it. It is pointless considering it is on Steam. Just utter stupidity that I will never support.[/QUOTE]

sigh... i guess i better deauthorize warhead (haha) and be careful with my crysis installs. i'd hate to be at EA's mercy to get additional installs.

how will it even look on my steam library after all the installs are used? say i install steam client onto a new machine i build a few years later. will it still be on my steam library, but i won't have an option to play or install it?

Didn't buy SMB cause of the rumor of the Potato Pack but if it never shows up I won't regret not purchasing SMB at $3.75. I have plenty of other games to play.

I'm mainly hoping for Medieval II: Total War to go cheaper. If it doesn't I will pick up at the end of the sale but I see no reason to buy now if there is a chance of a daily deal.

[quote name='INCyr']Damn you valve. Just when I thought I was done for the day, i go back and pick up Rush. And then I start eying SimCity 4. Thankfully the forums seem to indicate that SC4 has some issues on newer machines, and I don't feel like taking the time to patch a 6 year old game, so I think I'll be dodging that bullet.

Still, very tempting. We'll see if I end up picking it up before the sale changes, tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

No problems running SC4 on my W7 quad core./... Great game with tons of mods!

I have a question for you guys: If I buy the Doom pack and later on I buy an ID pack, will I be able to gift the extra Dooms to a friend?

[quote name='Chango']I have a question for you guys: If I buy the Doom pack and later on I buy an ID pack, will I be able to gift the extra Dooms to a friend?[/QUOTE]
No. If you want to do that you are better off buying the Doom pack for yourself as a gift and not redeeming it until you know you aren't buying the ID pack.

[quote name='pROvIs']wow thanks. I was going to pick up Shadowgrounds at the end of the sale and have Trine on PSN but now I will pick up all three for just a few cents more.[/QUOTE]

This sucks -- I already own Trine but not the other 2 games!!!!

Trine is excellent, and worth $6 on its own, but Shadowgrounds looks like a lot of fun. I may have to pick up the pack, even though I have Trine on PS3 and wouldn't likely play the PC version.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Then your information pretty much has no valid substance.[/QUOTE]

I think his experience is valid. I'm not sure how you can say it isn't since he given the results for the game in question. The other people that had negative results are just as valid.

[quote name='jazyje']In 4 Crysis Maximum package.... Global Agenda looks interesting, downloading demo now, ouch-- it's 12GB!!!

Can anyone tell me if IL2 is playable on a keyboard?[/QUOTE]

You can technically play it with a keyboard mouse but that would be horrible. A flight stick is the only way to go with this game.

Just a note: I played the game on win 7 64 bit without a problem but that was the gog version not the steam version.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Impressions on Sim City 4, Section 8 and Protogalaxy?[/QUOTE]
SimCity 4 is easily the best game of the series.

Thanks for that.
I wish you could add packs to the wishlist. It's a great way to remember what to buy on the final day.

Highly recommended pack at this price. The Shadowgrounds games are excellent shooters and Trine is like a cherry on top. For $2 a game you'd be hard pressed to do worse than that.

[youtube]ynejlse2MVo[/youtube][youtube]6dQyRYx1_yU[/youtube]

Holiday Sale Daily Deals
12/28

[youtube]x2GCwJdvDUI[/youtube][youtube]HSeiSNIBYKs[/youtube]

Can someone please confirm whether Section 8 on Steam is a GFWL title or not?

[quote name='Baron O Hell']I think his experience is valid. I'm not sure how you can say it isn't since he given the results for the game in question. The other people that had negative results are just as valid.[/QUOTE]

His subjective opinion, with no proof mind you, could be valid. But I'm not one that believes subjective opinions to have any validity. Only objective facts are valid. And based on what many have stated on various forums, coupled with the blatant warning of the 5 activation limit on Crysis' product page, that is what one can only go by.

Not someone simply saying, "Nope, not me!", without any form of proof, or at least a credible source.

Not to mention there are various topics on Steam concerning this issue...always. Especially when there is a sale for the game. And not once has a Valve rep chimed in to clear up the issue. On the other hand, people have posted emails they've received concerning them receiving more activation licenses when they were depleted. EA reps tell them it's a Steam issue...and Valve reps tell them it's an EA issue...back and forth...back and forth.

Meanwhile...those that pirate the game don't have to worry about any of it. Instead, those who paid for it have to deal with the consequences for the actions of those who are playing it for free and with no DRM. What is even more amazing are the dolts who sniff the rear end of EA (encouraging them even further) and actually have the mindless audacity to call those who bring this issue to light as "whiners and crybabies".

Apparently that is the nature of most people. The morons always seem to set a ridiculous precedent (or in many other cases, dangerous and deadly precedents...as history has shown time and time again) that, in turn, affect others who know better.

WTF, Steam?

OK, anyone in Europe -- can you help me out -- these 2 titles are much cheaper on sale in Europe:

Section 8 is 1.99 Euro which is 2.61 USD ($5 in the us)

Also Sim City 4 is 2.49 Euro which is 3.27 USD ($5 in the us)

I can and will paypal you $$$ immediately if anyone from Europe can gift me those 2 games

[quote name='jatan11t']hmmmm...

so Section 8 and SimCity 4 are both much cheaper in Europe. Section 8 is ~$2.60 and SimCity is ~$3.26 in USD[/QUOTE]

Yep, just saw that -- can anyone from Europe give those to me? I will paypal the $$ of course... Pretty please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back