Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jatan11t']hmmmm...

so Section 8 and SimCity 4 are both much cheaper in Europe. Section 8 is ~$2.60 and SimCity is ~$3.26 in USD[/QUOTE]
Weird never seen it go that direction.

I already said that I hated Valve, didn't I? Yeah, didn't take me long to succumb to the siren's call of SimCity 4. Hope I can get it to work. But that's it. No more games.

At least for today.

Waiting for someone nice from Europe to gift me SimCIty 4 and Section 8 at the European prices!!! I will paypal immediately!!! And return the favor for sure.

[quote name='jazyje']Waiting for someone nice from Europe to gift me SimCIty 4 and Section 8 at the European prices!!! I will paypal immediately!!! And return the favor for sure.[/QUOTE]

In the same position would love a European to help me out with Sim 4.

[quote name='thetruelokre']if there's anyone in europe willing to gift, i'll pay $6-$7 plus fees for section 8 and simcity4[/QUOTE]
guys lets put it in the right thread...

Home and trying to install P.B. Winterbottom and getting the message the servers are overloaded. Nice. It's like the night Half-Life 2 launched again. Steam really needs to take the lesson of Amazon and have sufficient capacity. (The Anonymous goon hackers tried to DDoS Amazon for dumping hosting of Wikileaks and had to give up because Amazon is strapped for anything.)

EDIT: Five minute later, they make a liar of me and now it's working. It pays to complain here!

Just played some Section 8 single player. Solid game and it feels responsive. Takes a bit more than I was expecting to eat through enemy soldiers shields but thats also true for you, so its not instant death if you do something stupid. I'll try MP later tonight if I get the chance.

Damn it just when I thought my wallet was safe I couldn't resist picking up

IL-2 sturmovik: 1946
SimCity 4
Kings Bounty Platinum
Crysis Maximum
Rush

And gifted myself the Doom pack which I will give to a friend if the iD pack gets a daily deal.

Already have Dirt 2 and Mount and Blade+Warband.

That brings my total haul from this sale to around 40 games so far. That's on top of the 20 or so I've picked up in the other sales in the past few weeks.

I haven't checked my credit card statement yet but Steam has probably got close to $200 out of me in the last month. Considering that new release games can go for up to $100 in this part of the world, the value for money and the number of options for what to play Steam gives me is just crazy. As a (non-game) software developer myself, I also love that I can finally make amends for all the games I "acquired" as a kid by picking up legit copies of old games for a few bucks. I'm actually scared to look at the GOG sale.

I'm relieved on days like yesterday when I already have everything I'd consider buying at the prices offered. Now I just need to find the time to play all this stuff.

HOLY MOLLY!!!!!! On top of SC4 and S8 being dirt cheap over in Europe, Crysis Maximum Edition in Europe is only 5 euros (versus $10 in the USA), which is only about $6.50!!!!!!!!!!!!! I already bought it for $10 in the states, but at $6 for BOTH games, Europeans surely get an amazing deal!!!!

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']His subjective opinion, with no proof mind you, could be valid. [/QUOTE]

You're being silly. It's been through two OS changes, two failed hard drives, and 6 overclocks. Still works. Haven't had to call EA yet.

I haven't seen anything other than reports from others. If my report doesn't constitute an objective fact, and you select theirs as such then, well, doesn't say much for your method does it?

I'll gift you any game on Steam if you can show me an objective, peer reviewed study on the installation limit of Crysis and reactivation. Other than that stfu.

Don't enjoy it if you don't want to. Nobody else gives a shaq-fu if you do or not. Love ya, love your show. Peace.

[quote name='Woot1337']Can anyone sell me on Mount & Blade? I really liked oblivion, so would I like this?[/QUOTE]

Think Pirates!, on land, with horses, and the best melee combat engine to date. Really, that's the best way to sum it up.

www.taleworlds.com has a rather generous demo. I've played it off and on since I bought into it at v 0.7something. Warband is all that it is and a bag of chips, large coke, hooker, and eight of pot. The community is nothing short of the best I've seen in gaming. Most of them are eurotards, but if you can look past that they are quite great.

Wow... Have to remember to always check euro prices for sales from now on. I've been going through the previous daily deals, and there have been a lot of games much cheaper. Like the Red Faction games were 1,25€ and 2.50€ for Guerilla and Saints Row 2 was 2.50€, etc

[quote name='jatan11t']Wow... Have to remember to always check euro prices for sales from now on. I've been going through the previous daily deals, and there have been a lot of games much cheaper. Like the Red Faction games were 1,25€ and 2.50€ for Guerilla and Saints Row 2 was 2.50€, etc[/QUOTE]

Wow!!! WTF is steam thinking? SAints Row 2 was more than double the price in the US compared to the prices in Europe -- just one example.... I guess it's time to buy games from European steam store from now on....

Played a demo of King's Bounty and got flickering out the yin-yang. Tried adjusting different settings, but no go. Forums say major flickering with ATI cards and some Nvidia.

I wanted King's Bounty, but I can't deal with the flickering.

[quote name='DigitalE']Is there a way to buy from the European store and gift the games to myself?[/QUOTE]
I'm using a European proxy and using my current account login to see the cheaper prices. However, when I go to purchase I get this: "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

Probably in place to keep us from doing what we are trying to do. I also tried creating a new account with the same issue.

[quote name='JP']I'm using a European proxy and using my current account login to see the cheaper prices. However, when I go to purchase I get this: "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

Probably in place to keep us from doing what we are trying to do. I also tried creating a new account with the same issue.[/QUOTE]

You are a CAG role model, lol.

[quote name='Trelow']You're being silly. It's been through two OS changes, two failed hard drives, and 6 overclocks. Still works. Haven't had to call EA yet.

I haven't seen anything other than reports from others. If my report doesn't constitute an objective fact, and you select theirs as such then, well, doesn't say much for your method does it?

I'll gift you any game on Steam if you can show me an objective, peer reviewed study on the installation limit of Crysis and reactivation. Other than that stfu.

Don't enjoy it if you don't want to. Nobody else gives a shaq-fu if you do or not. Love ya, love your show. Peace.[/QUOTE]

I don't select anyone's report as objective fact...as I stated, the only objective fact is that it is labeled as having a 5 activation limit on the MAIN PRODUCT PAGE ON STEAM.

Take into account: steam only lets you purchase stuff if your IP matches the country your payment method is from.

It's very stupid and upsetting, it essentially stops you from buying when you're traveling abroad, as well as stop people from purchasing on a different country's store (Even if they are geographically in that country).

Worth noting steam is the only store with such a stupid policy. All other stores (including the Games for Windows Marketplace) have no problems with your IP.

PS: How much is Section 8 (in USD) in Europe? I'm thinking about giving a copy away, but $5 is a bit too much for a free giveaway lol (can't afford it atm :/)

[quote name='jazyje']HOLY MOLLY!!!!!! On top of SC4 and S8 being dirt cheap over in Europe, Crysis Maximum Edition in Europe is only 5 euros (versus $10 in the USA), which is only about $6.50!!!!!!!!!!!!! I already bought it for $10 in the states, but at $6 for BOTH games, Europeans surely get an amazing deal!!!![/QUOTE]

could u list the price in american dollar for SC4 and s8. i would like to get in on the deal

I admit, I was totally wrong earlier: $8.74 is a fine price for those DOOM's. Admittedly, I only wanted DOOM3 and its expansion, but Resurrection of Evil alone is worth about $10.

Having said that, I totally grabbed it.

It would be nice of someone to post a list of all the prices in USD and EURO in their respective stores. I'd rather not have people translating the currency.

[quote name='killerthrust']could u list the price in american dollar for SC4 and s8. i would like to get in on the deal[/QUOTE]

They're in the OP.

Here we go.... Aside from PREVIOUS DAYS of this sale, when quite a few games were in fact much cheaper in Europe than in the USA, today 3 games are cheaper in Europe than in the states:

1. Crysis Maximum Edition: 5 euros vs $10
2. Sim City 4: 2.5 euros vs $5
3. Section 8: 2 euros vs $5

Enough to make you upset yet or do you want to hear how Saints Row 2, for one, was nearly 3 times more expensive on steam in the USA than in Europe when it was a daily deal a few days ago??? LOL...

[quote name='jazyje']Here we go.... Aside from PREVIOUS DAYS of this sale, when quite a few games were in fact much cheaper in Europe than in the USA, today 3 games are cheaper in Europe than in the states:

1. Crysis Maximum Edition: 5 euros vs $10
2. Sim City 4: 2.5 euros vs $5
3. Section 8: 2 euros vs $5

Enough to make you upset yet or do you want to hear how Saints Row 2, for one, was nearly 3 time more expensive on steam in the USA than in Europe when it was a dilay deal a few days ago??? LOL...[/QUOTE]

You wont make me upset until you tell me dragon age was half the cost :)

Speaking of the OP, the price for M&B appears to be incorrect (forgive if this has previously been mentioned).

[quote name='eastx']They're in the OP.[/QUOTE]

Be forewarned if you try to proxy. Shenanigans and Tom Foolery have been known to get accounts disabled!

I bought Rush and M&B Warbands.

After some more poking and proding in the purchasing system there is a way to use your normal Paypal account, a new steam account and a proxy to gift yourself. However, after reading through the forums and their TOS using your own account or even creating a new one to buy things from a different store is highly frowned upon and can get your account blocked. Whether they actually enforce that heavily I can't say. Debating fully testing with my secondary account but I don't want to run the risk of losing access to my primary Steam account games. Losing access to 200+ games would be quite disheartening.

I have Kings Bounty and Armored Princess, which I have yet to play. Is $8.74 worth it for Crossworlds alone? Or should I just wait till next year's sale?

I'm really spending a lot this year during the steam sale.

And I mean really - why would you go through the trouble/risk to gift yourself a game from Europe or wherever when the prices are already absurdly cheap (in the US or wherever you are)? It's already an awesome deal.

[quote name='JP']After some more poking and proding in the purchasing system there is a way to use your normal Paypal account, a new steam account and a proxy to gift yourself. However, after reading through the forums and their TOS using your own account or even creating a new one to buy things from a different store is highly frowned upon and can get your account blocked. Whether they actually enforce that heavily I can't say. Debating fully testing with my secondary account but I don't want to run the risk of losing access to my primary Steam account games. Losing access to 200+ games would be quite disheartening.[/QUOTE]

For a few dollars it is not worth taking the chance at all. But, I can't help but think to myself, "I hope he does it and tells me if it works". Maybe I am a CAG after all, nah, probably not. I'll probably buy crysis and section 8 at the US store prices.

[quote name='MadChedar0']I'm really spending a lot this year during the steam sale.

And I mean really - why would you go through the trouble/risk to gift yourself a game from Europe or wherever when the prices are already absurdly cheap (in the US or wherever you are)? It's already an awesome deal.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on both accounts.

I agree with the posts above -- but wait, why not take advantage of even CHEAPER prices in Europe??? I don't feel bad, steam still gets the money and I don't pirate the games (and we all know how easy that would be/ is these days...).

Considering Warband since I literally put 20 hours STRAIGHT when M&B came down to $5 earlier in the year (or last year?). However, I am wondering if Warband will come down anytime soon to that price?

[quote name='pROvIs']You wont make me upset until you tell me dragon age was half the cost :)[/QUOTE]

If I understand steamprices right, the ultimate edition was 12.49 euros or $16 US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back