Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
My god, after looking at it I remember Archon a little!

I get positive memories/feelings when thinking back to that name even if I don't remember anything of it xD (did play though)

Got Amnesia and Swords and Soldiers so far. Still considering PvZ, Greed Corp and Dead Space :)

[quote name='Unicorntard']Yes.

The boxed version of Earned In Blood has DRM (I think its just a disc check) and the game only works in XP. Ubisoft never released a patch for it to work on Windows 7. So if you have Windows 7, this is one of the only ways to play it in Windows 7.

Road to Hill 30 and Hell's Highway boxed games work in XP, Vista and Windows 7.

All 3 Steam games work in XP, Vista and 7.

I bought the boxed version of of Earned in Blood and didn't know that before. Now, I just have it for the awesome cover art. :D

[/QUOTE]
thanks for the info might pick it up i have road to hill 30 on disc and i think earned in blood need to look for it. only missing hells hwy.

If you want the boxed version of Hell's Highway, its $5.03 NEW on Amazon with free shipping if you have Prime.
Its only $.04 more than Steam.

There's a used copy for $3.97 shipped right now if you have Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/Brothers-Arms...BABA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1293649506&sr=8-6

I have the boxed version and the disc doesn't have to be in the tray to play. It plays right out of the hard drive.

Anyways, I highly recommend these games.

[quote name='dypaehc']today's deal is call of duty: Black ops for $59.99. 90% off if you already own call of duty 3 on steam.[/quote]

:applause:

[quote name='jkimrey']So it sounds like most would recommend Amnesia over Dead Space?[/QUOTE]

Well, they are two completely different games. In Amnesia, you run the fuck away from enemies, while in Dead Space you blow their limbs off.

Awesome day today. Grabbed Archon, Swords & Soldiers, Amnesia, and Greed Corp for myself, and I'll probably grab some extras to gift to friends. Also grabbed SimCity 4 and Rush yesterday.

I'm glad there's only a few days left...I've spent so much already, haha.

Haha - point taken. Thanks!

[quote name='moojuice']Well, they are two completely different games. In Amnesia, you run the fuck away from enemies, while in Dead Space you blow their limbs off.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Skizye']I strongly recommend against Serious Sam. I bought it a while back when it was $10 in a weekend deal, playing through the first one was a chore and I never ended up playing through the second one. It has some of the most bland environments I've ever seen and after the first couple of big fights the battles start to become incredibly tedious and boring.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my thought about this game. I enjoyed Duke Nukem but not this. Play the 1st Encounter HD version at my friend's place and it is just bland and generic. What did I miss here? :roll:

Hey guys here are the prices of the games cheaper in Europe instead of the US.

Quake Collection
$ 10.20
£ 5.78 » $ 8.89 (-12.84%)
€ 10.20 » $ 13.40 (+31.37%)

Good prices on Dead Space, PvZ and the Brothers in Arms pack. Tempted to get Hell's Highway. Have heard good things about Green Corp and Swords and Soldiers HD.

[quote name='jkimrey']So it sounds like most would recommend Amnesia over Dead Space?[/QUOTE]

Really love both games. Have yet to finish Amnesia but Dead Space is awesome all the way through. If you like scary games get both.

[quote name='moojuice']Well, they are two completely different games. In Amnesia, you run the fuck away from enemies, while in Dead Space you blow their limbs off.[/QUOTE]

This. Dead Space is still one of my favoritest games ever. They really did such a good job with it. Amnesia is equally impressive, in a completely different way.

I'd recommend both, if you can afford them, but barring that, it depends on whether you want something a bit more action-y (Dead Space) or completely Atmosphericly focused (Amnesia).

From a developer standpoint, I'd have to say Amnesia, hands down. The guys making it are an indy company that deserve all the support they can get. For anyone who is a fan of their games, go read their blog - it's a fantastic read, with some really interesting thoughts on game design. They put a lot of focus into trying to make sure the player connects with the character in the game.

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/

Serious Sam HD is anything but generic. It's one of the fastest, most adrenaline-filled FPS games ever. The locations are vast, fairly unique and extremely beautiful. The enemy designs, while nothing special (much like Duke Nukem's), are nice and wacky. The bosses are huge. The game is chock full of secrets and has an excellent sense of humor. Co-op supports up to 16 players, more than almost any other game. It's just crazy good fun.

[quote name='agentghost']Exactly my thought about this game. I enjoyed Duke Nukem but not this. Play the 1st Encounter HD version at my friend's place and it is just bland and generic. What did I miss here? :roll:[/QUOTE]

Duke Nuke'em has more of a plot and intricate level design. Serious Sam is more about straight up killing tons of monsters and relying on twitch reflexes. Same genre? Yes. However, Sam is more of a pure shooter whereas Duke is sort of analogous to a 'Dark Forces' type of shooter (although granted that came out later). Also worth noting for people who missed out on it two days ago that SS is highly likely to be in the 'repeat' sale on Sunday as it was ranked in the top two for sales when it was a daily.

Still debating the Ball - anyone else try the demo and keep wanting to hit the (non-existant) crouch button to uncrouch yourself? You just feel so low to the ground. Otherwise, pretty cool looking.

Here are the games that are cheaper in US as opposed to buying it in the EU:

Sniper: Ghost Warrior
€ 7.50
$ 7.50 » € 5.71 (-23.87%)
£ 7.50 » € 8.78 (+17.07%)

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
€ 4.99
$ 4.99 » € 3.80 (-23.85%)
£ 3.74 » € 4.38 (-12.22%)

Greed Corp
€ 2.50
$ 2.50 » € 1.90 (-24.00%)
£ 2.00 » € 2.34 (-6.40%)

The Ball
€ 4.49
$ 4.99 » € 3.80 (-15.37%)
£ 3.74 » € 4.38 (-2.45%)

Swords and Soldiers HD
€ 9.99 € 2.50
$ 9.99 $ 2.50 » € 1.90 (-24.00%)
£ 6.99 £ 1.75 » € 2.05 (-18.00%)

Plants vs. Zombies GOTY Edition
€ 4.00
$ 4.00 » € 3.05 (-23.75%)
£ 2.80 » € 3.28 (-18.00%)

City of Heroes®: Architect Edition
€ 10.04
£ 6.69 » € 7.83 (-22.01%)

Brothers in Arms Pack
€ 8.74
$ 9.99 » € 7.61 (-12.93%)
£ 7.99 » € 9.36 (+7.09%)

Archon Classic
€ 2.50
$ 2.50 » € 1.90 (-24.00%)
£ 1.75 » € 2.05 (-18.00%)

Nothing for me again. I can hold off on Amnesia and I'm not sure I'm sold on tower defense games yet. Need to get back into Pixeljunk Monsters before I commit to another defense game.

Im going to wait on Dead Space... I saw the trailer. It LOOKS great like Resident Evil 5, but it looks like its slow paced... just like Resident Evil 5. Am I right?

For the sake of saving money, I'm going to pass on Swords & Soldiers HD, but I still don't know if I should grab Amnesia.

How long is Amnesia? Is it puzzle-focused, or running-away-focused? (I'm guessing both, considering what I've played of Overture.)

I'd like Dead space but I already have it for the PS3. It'd be nice to have it on steam but I don't think it would be worth it. Did end up downloading Amnesia demo and will try that later.

[quote name='Unicorntard']Im going to wait on Dead Space... I saw the trailer. It LOOKS great like Resident Evil 5, but it looks like its slow paced... just like Resident Evil 5. Am I right?[/QUOTE]

I haven't played RE5, so I can't compare, but I never thought Dead Space was all that slow paced. It's not necessarily action-packed, but it does give you a good sense of urgency. Plus the down time is rather nice after dealing with the bad guys - the combat can get fairly intense. And the atmosphere is amazingly well done - it'll keep you tensed up and nervous even when there's nothing there.

[quote name='Terlan']I'd like Dead space but I already have it for the PS3. It'd be nice to have it on steam but I don't think it would be worth it. Did end up downloading Amnesia demo and will try that later.[/QUOTE]
I had the same issue but with 360. I have come to the conclusion that in almost all cases I'd rather play on PC on my TV than the console unless its a bad port or crippled somehow (ie bioshock 2 or burnout paradise not having all the dlc, etc). I just signed up to trade in my copy on 360 for 11.75 at Amazon and then could justify the Steam purchase.

Im actually interested in Kane and Lynch 2 (since playing with them in Lara Croft dlc). Is it a GFWL title?

too bad its not a bundle with the first game since ive missed out on the series so far. I wonder if they patched up some of those graphical issues from the review

Any chances for Team Fortress 2 or Counter Strike: Source to go on sale? I think Team Fortress was $5 yesterday and now it's $10. I feel so disappointed ;_;

[quote name='alangee']Any chances for Team Fortress 2 or Counter Strike: Source to go on sale? I think Team Fortress was $5 yesterday and now it's $10. I feel so disappointed ;_;[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't expect CS:S to get any cheaper, it went on sale on the 24th as a daily deal.

[quote name='guyver2077']Im actually interested in Kane and Lynch 2 (since playing with them in Lara Croft dlc). Is it a GFWL title?

too bad its not a bundle with the first game since ive missed out on the series so far. I wonder if they patched up some of those graphical issues from the review[/QUOTE]

K&L 2 is a Steamworks title. Steam achievements and everything.

Dead Space could be lower (-75%), oh well. Might be worth another run through (beat 360 version). One of my all time favorites this gen, THEN I MUST PURCHASE.

Just gonna put in my 2 cents for Kane and Lynch- the story and levels are freaking awesome- you won't be disappointed at that price. I can't wait to see how the story ends...though i'm feeling like it won't be a happy ending

[quote name='pROvIs']Try the demos.[/QUOTE]

Greed Corp doesn't have a demo, at least not on the PC.

It does on the 360, if you have one. Possibly the PS3 as well, but I'm not sure if it's on that platform.

Plants Vs Zombies GOTY
The Ball - No one gives this game love, its a fucking blast.
Amnesia

Just got my new alienware and this years sales have not disappointed me at all.

I used to love Archon for the Commodore 64. Even the box art for that game was classic. I didn't even realize that it was remade. I'm all over that one.

[quote name='GOTA']I used to love Archon for the Commodore 64. Even the box art for that game was classic. I didn't even realize that it was remade. I'm all over that one.[/QUOTE]

The box design/cover art for all of those old EA games were great. Wish someone would remake Mail Order Monsters -- that would be a blast in the online age.

[quote name='beniah']Just gonna put in my 2 cents for Kane and Lynch- the story and levels are freaking awesome- you won't be disappointed at that price. I can't wait to see how the story ends...though i'm feeling like it won't be a happy ending[/QUOTE]

I'm certainly not trying to argue, just give a different perspective. I purchased K&L 2 during the Black Friday sale and felt ripped off. The AI is terrible, the movements are sluggish. It felt like I was controlling a 350lb man at times. The camera is shaky as hell but I believe that is intentional. However, if you are like me it will make you sick. I don't usually agree with metascores etc... on games but they got it right on K&L2. It is a terrible game.

[quote name='beniah']Just gonna put in my 2 cents for Kane and Lynch- the story and levels are freaking awesome- you won't be disappointed at that price. I can't wait to see how the story ends...though i'm feeling like it won't be a happy ending[/QUOTE]

I concur. Killer fun game. Yes they are all corridors, and yes I HATE cover based shooters, but the atmosphere and art direction were intense. Loved it. All 3 hours of it.

I know it was mentioned before for different games but for all of you who bought BFBC2, I was able to get BFBC2: Vietnam which works with steam for $5. Also was able to get Sim City 4 and Mirror's edge for free from the following thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278843

For those interested BFBC2 Vietnam is just a code you put into your copy of the game to unlock the content. It's stored with your EA account.

[quote name='Trelow']I concur. Killer fun game. Yes they are all corridors, and yes I HATE cover based shooters, but the atmosphere and art direction were intense. Loved it. All 3 hours of it.[/QUOTE]

Is the game only 3 hours long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back