Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mietha']It is in the US, because I bought it a few minutes ago. Also, a game called Spacechem is 50% off. I don't think that was on the list before, but I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Spacechem is an awesome, chemistry based puzzle game. (there isn't actually anything about chemistry that you need to know, or will learn from it, don't worry)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/10/wot-i-think-spacechem/

I bought it a few weeks ago, and it's very addicting. One of those puzzle games that keeps you on your toes. You'll look at a problem and be totally stumped and then eventually have an "a-ha!" moment. It doesn't hold your hand, and doesn't treat you like an idiot (which i appreciate).

Great music as well.

I wholeheartedly would recommend it for $15, and at $7.50, you owe it to yourself to get it if you like puzzle games at all.

SpaceChem is great, and I highly recommend it. It is perfect for making you feel really dumb as you stare at a puzzle -- and then making you feel like a goddamned genius when you figure it out. I think I actually fist-pumped once.

It's also nice how there are multiple solutions to each level. Most puzzle games there is one right way to do it, and you're trying to figure out what the developers expect you to do. With SpaceChem, you really do feel like you're building your own thing.

You can get a higher score with solutions that are efficient and elegant, but you still end up feeling proud of what you made no matter how hideously convoluted and crazy your creation is. In fact sometimes I would purposely try to do something simple in the most unnecessarily complex way just for the hell of it.

Also the music is really good.

[quote name='Starky27']SpaceChem looks very interesting. Anybody have any comments/impressions on it?[/QUOTE]

it strikes me as something that may be available for cheap in a pack in an upcoming sale.

[quote name='Pheace']Is there any way to link to the *last* post in the thread directly? I'm guessing not, right?[/QUOTE]

edit: I misunderstood.

If you are looking for your own use, I'd suggest going to your subscriptions page - now that you've posted here, you are subscribed - from here (or from the parent forum if you don't mind hunting for the thread itself) you can click on the link to go to the last post in the thread. It is usually found to the right, near where the last poster is listed.

[quote name='caldazar']edit: I misunderstood.

If you are looking for your own use, I'd suggest going to your subscriptions page - now that you've posted here, you are subscribed - from here (or from the parent forum if you don't mind hunting for the thread itself) you can click on the link to go to the last post in the thread. It is usually found to the right, near where the last poster is listed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I'm afraid that still means I have to load the site twice to get to the last post in this thread, same as I just load this thread on whatever page the bookmark is like now and then click last.

Some forums you can just bookmark the 'last' page and it's always up to date.

[quote name='Pheace']Thanks, but I'm afraid that still means I have to load the site twice to get to the last post in this thread, same as I just load this thread on whatever page the bookmark is like now and then click last.

Some forums you can just bookmark the 'last' page and it's always up to date.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't you just set the page number in the URL really high, like so?

[quote name='11440']Couldn't you just set the page number in the URL really high, like so?[/QUOTE]

That's awesome, thanks. I would've expected that to give an error but it works. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks :)

The Duke Nukem Forever pre-order is huge news for a nerd like myself; To think, it's almost here. I am totally pre-ordering through Steam.

For $5 less than Amazon or GameStop, I can deal with not getting Amazon Credit or a couple extra shirts for Duke.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']The Duke Nukem Forever pre-order is huge news for a nerd like myself; To think, it's almost here. I am totally pre-ordering through Steam.

For $5 less than Amazon or GameStop, I can deal with not getting Amazon Credit or a couple extra shirts for Duke.[/QUOTE]

Since Duke Nukem is a Steamworks game, it doesn't matter where you purchase it from.

Currently, Direct2Drive has the same promotion as steam with 10% off. You can also stack it with a referral code for an additional 15% off, making it around $38 and change.

You can use this one that I found on the forums earlier...

78D519EF29A8D387356479DCA57F91FB

The serial will register on Steam

Thanks for the tip, anarchyoblivion. I went ahead and grabbed the game for about $40. Not bad at all, I'd say.

Though, sadly, I have to wait for the release day to get the Activation Key, so it looks like I won't be part of the "First Access Club" or be able to pre-download the game files from Steam.

I'm happy either way; I got the game I wanted for the best price.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Thanks for the tip, anarchyoblivion. I went ahead and grabbed the game for about $40. Not bad at all, I'd say.

Though, sadly, I have to wait for the release day to get the Activation Key, so it looks like I won't be part of the "First Access Club" or be able to pre-download the game files from Steam.

I'm happy either way; I got the game I wanted for the best price.[/QUOTE]

well d2d gave access to the brink keys which steam allows you to preload with, hopefully for you itll be the same with duke.

When I tried the SpaceChem demo a few weeks back, I was totally hooked. I was a little too cheap to bite at $15 full price new, but I'm definitely getting it now. Anyone with doubts, try the demo.

[quote name='paz9x']well d2d gave access to the brink keys which steam allows you to preload with, hopefully for you itll be the same with duke.[/QUOTE]
It may not be vital by any stretch, but I hope you're right.

By the way, how soon before the release of Brink did D2D offer buyers their Activation Keys?

[quote name='EliotAndrews']It may not be vital by any stretch, but I hope you're right.

By the way, how soon before the release of Brink did D2D offer buyers their Activation Keys?[/QUOTE]

D2D had the keys available on Friday May 6th...I activated it on Steam on Saturday morning and then pre-loaded it. I had to go onto the site and click "download" to get the key.

Looking at the current Steam sales, it looks like there's a Kalypso sale going on this week - Tropic, Commandos, and all of their other series are dirt cheap right now.

[quote name='Hizaki']D2D had the keys available on Friday May 6th...I activated it on Steam on Saturday morning and then pre-loaded it. I had to go onto the site and click "download" to get the key.[/QUOTE]
I see. Since Brink was released on May 10th, that gives buyers a window in which to expect the keys to become available.

Right now, my account's Duke Nukem Forever entry has a "Pre-Order" button in place of a "Download" one. (Clicking on it does nothing.) Therefore, I'd expect the button to switch over to a "Download" one around June 10th. Others that have made use of the D2D deal should keep their eyes on their accounts once we hit June 1st.

Thanks for the info.

A lot of those you can get on GOG though. Some pretty good games.

Missed Airborne since apparently EA decided just one layer of activation just wasn't enough :roll:

[quote name='Wolfpup']A lot of those you can get on GOG though. Some pretty good games.

Missed Airborne since apparently EA decided just one layer of activation just wasn't enough :roll:[/QUOTE]

They're also significantly cheaper on Steam. And given that I'm still a little mad about GOG's "publicity stunt" that shut down the site...I don't see any reason why GOG should get my money over Steam for those titles.

[quote name='Pheace']Whoa, Kalypso games are -75% for some reason[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just saw that as well.

Commandos Collection is $3.74

Anybody have any experience actually playing any of these? I'm thinking about the whole pack for $30, but I've never played any of them. Reviews are "eh" on most of them at best. There's a few that look interesting, I'm just not sure it's 30 bucks worth of interesting.

Hard to argue Tropico, it's a good game.
I personally liked Patrician 3 a lot, it's a great trading simulator, albeit perhaps slow and boring to some.
Grand Ages Rome is a good city builder with a little war element later on. Very heavy on the system though so wouldn't recommend it unless you have an uptodate computer.

Could anyone help me buy Tropico 3: Gold Edition ? I'm gonna pay back witch paypal.

Unfortunately I live in Europe and 5$≠6,4€

[quote name='lito88']How is commandos?[/QUOTE]

Awesome classic strategy games. Check out a video on youtube and see if it's something that would interest you.

You can't miss with this bundle for under $4. I grabbed it on steam during the holiday sale. I have owned the first two Commandos retail for years now.

[quote name='fr9']Could anyone help me buy Tropico 3: Gold Edition ? I'm gonna pay back witch paypal.

Unfortunately I live in Europe and 5$≠6,4€[/QUOTE]

i can help you but i need to wait for Steam to refund my credits first.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']They're also significantly cheaper on Steam. And given that I'm still a little mad about GOG's "publicity stunt" that shut down the site...I don't see any reason why GOG should get my money over Steam for those titles.[/QUOTE]

The only reason would be to have DRM free copies that are not tied to a Steam account...............

[quote name='Fonz72']The only reason would be to have DRM free copies that are not tied to a Steam account...............[/QUOTE]

That you have to pay more for, download and install manually, and don't +1 your steam list. Nah... xD

[quote name='Fonz72']The only reason would be to have DRM free copies that are not tied to a Steam account...............[/QUOTE]

And GOG verifies compatibility on newer operating systems. I'm not sure if that is necessary for any of those games though as I only have Tropico 3 from that list.

Tropico 2 is a pirate sim?? For $1.74... I think I need this.

Really liked Tropico 3 so Tropico 2 seems like it will be up my alley.

Think I am going to have to pick up Tropico 3 gold. Almost bought it during the winter sale but ended up passing on it. Don't think I can do the same this time.

Also is Patrician IV any good? It seems interesting but I dunno.

[quote name='Terlan']Think I am going to have to pick up Tropico 3 gold. Almost bought it during the winter sale but ended up passing on it. Don't think I can do the same this time.

Also is Patrician IV any good? It seems interesting but I dunno.[/QUOTE]
Its decent. Easier than Patrician iii but also much easier to make a profit still has some bugs. I'd recommend picking up the expansion as well so you've got the full experience for under 13 dollars compared to the 30 when they release the gold edition.

So many strategy games on sale! Can anyone recommend some of the best? I already know about Hearts of Iron, Tropico, and Commandos, but I'm pretty clueless on the rest of the sale titles.

EDIT: Ended up grabbing Tropico 3, Arsenal of Democracy, and Patricians 3. I'm still kind of debating Grand Ages: Rome, and Commandos.

Which one of these is most like Civcity: Rome? I need an updated game like that! Seems they got quite a few city building games in here. Is Grand Ages: Rome Gold the newest/best one? Its in my cart but for some reason I need a nudge to commit.

EDIT

Screw it, I bought tropico 3 gold instead, Ill just keep playing CivCity:Rome an hour a year.

Just an FYI for those who are members of Gametap - most of the Kalypso games are available to play, so you can try them out awhile before deciding whether they are worth a purchase.

[quote name='Ribkage']Which one of these is most like Civcity: Rome? I need an updated game like that! Seems they got quite a few city building games in here. Is Grand Ages: Rome Gold the newest/best one? Its in my cart but for some reason I need a nudge to commit.

EDIT

Screw it, I bought tropico 3 gold instead, Ill just keep playing CivCity:Rome an hour a year.[/QUOTE]

Too late now but Grand Ages Rome is basically the newer Civcity: Rome

I've just checked the Spacechem demo and it looks very interesting, entertaining, challenging and even educational.

From what I've seen so far the chemical elements in this game are realistic. It's a fun game for those who like chemistry, but it might be a bit hard for those who don't, or for the younger people amongst us.

I'm gonna buy it now :D

[quote name='Pheace']Too late now but Grand Ages Rome is basically the newer Civcity: Rome[/QUOTE]

Is it any good? I read a few reviews and most were mixed at best.

bit on the Patricians and Merchants package. Darkstar One looks neat.. been a while since i played a space flight sim.. and reviews were somewhat decent.

..and i generally can't pass up sub-$1 games.

Almost overwhelming, decided on the following

Commandos Collection - 3.74
Patricians Merchants Pack (Darkstar, Patrician 3, Great Art Race)- 2.49
Grand Ages Rome Gold- 4.99
Tropico Reloaded- 1.74
Tropico 3 gold- 4.99
$18 total
leaving out Imperium Romanum (have), Disciples 3 (interested in but poor reviews), Time of Shadows (poor reviews) and Patrician 4 (haven't played 3 yet)

[quote name='jimbodan']Is it any good? I read a few reviews and most were mixed at best.[/QUOTE]

Took me a bit to get into it, since it's a pretty strict game when it comes to building placement. If they're not supplied well they burn down quickly. However I believe they toned that down later.

After getting the hang of it, I really started to like it though, and the family tree thing with the benefits you can win are pretty neat.

I'd say it's definitely worth the price if you like that type of game.

Do mind however it's a pretty heavy game on your pc. I wouldn't recommend it if your PC isn't up-to-date.

Anyone have any input on the Kalypso Strategy Pack? I'm interested in Tropico and Commandos, but everything else seems hit or miss. At the same time $29.99 sounds like a really good deal for all those games.

[quote name='scuzzy']Anyone have any input on the Kalypso Strategy Pack? I'm interested in Tropico and Commandos, but everything else seems hit or miss. At the same time $29.99 sounds like a really good deal for all those games.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should read the last couple of pages.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Maybe you should read the last couple of pages.[/QUOTE]

I did, but I didn't really see anything about Disciples III, Time of Shadows or Imperium Romanum. I thought maybe someone who had played them might have some input since the round out the rest of the Klypso pack. Is Imperium Romanum similar to Grand Ages without battles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back