Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how the And Yet It Moves game logo never made sense to me until a couple days ago.

header_292x136.jpg

It always just looked like a)-m to me, and I just thought it was the strangest way to signify the game title. Until I finally realized the the y and i are combined and sideways. :p

Just felt kind of dumb when I figured it out. ;)

[quote name='utopianmachine']We're getting one more day of sales at 1.[/QUOTE]

It will probably just be a mashup of the bestselling deals of the week like the past steam sales though. Probably nothing new.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Just recommending NyxQuest. $2.50. Great little platformer, ported from Wiiware.[/QUOTE]

Wow didn't realize this got a port. I'll check it out.

Been loving these sales. Was glad to finally get FO3 GOTY a few days ago since I was screwed over by Gamestop.com a few months ago.

If they're putting up Terraria for 2,50 again in a few hours, I'm gonna buy a 4 pack immedeately :p I highly doubt it, though... lol

Other than that: hopefully C&C3 and Company of Heroes, so I can gift them for my upcoming LAN with friends.

Also: does anyone have any comments about the Stronghold Pack? I'm on the fence about it. I really liked the first one back when I played it ages ago.

[quote name='utopianmachine']We're getting one more day of sales at 1.[/QUOTE]

The last day of sales if often just recaps though. So these may be fresh sales and they may just be repeats of a few games from previous days.

Edit - And if we do get fresh sales I am REALLY hoping for Dungeon Siege 3 with DS1 and 2 bundled with it for $30 or less. Since its owned by greedy ass Square Enix I am not counting on it....

The subtitle of Steam Summer Sales is "New Deals Every Day!" Would the daily deals for the upcoming day (Day 10) really be considered "new deals" if it were a recap day?

[quote name='BluePotato']The subtitle of Steam Summer Sales is "New Deals Every Day!" Would the daily deals for the upcoming day (Day 10) really be considered "new deals" if it were a recap day?[/QUOTE]

If the price increase of Terraria taught me anything, it's not to trust steam explicitly on what they write on their store page.

I wanted to like NyxQuest, but first I would have to be able to play NyxQuest, and whenever I launch it, it hangs up my PC. Luckily I only paid a couple bucks for it back during the Thanksgiving sale.

[quote name='Steggy']How cheap has the ID superpack ever been? I really wanna get a few of these older games. 30 doesnt seem awful.[/QUOTE]

I believe that it's been $30 during every sale but I think I recall it being a daily at like $25 once. (I'm tempted by it during every sale :D)

[quote name='Therapy']
Also: does anyone have any comments about the Stronghold Pack? I'm on the fence about it. I really liked the first one back when I played it ages ago.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this is helpful but: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-throwback-stronghold/17-3828/

[quote name='Narcisstalker']I believe that it's been $30 during every sale but I think I recall it being a daily at like $25 once. (I'm tempted by it during every sale :D)[/QUOTE]

Its one of those things where I know the games are of quality and worth it... but how many will I actually go back and play. I know for sure I want Doom 3 because I never played them. As well as Commander Keen for nostalgia Factor. The rest are a hodge podge of FPS I know i might get sick of....

[quote name='Steggy']Its one of those things where I know the games are of quality and worth it... but how many will I actually go back and play.[/QUOTE]

I usually end up re-downloading a lot of the demos and realizing how archaic many of the games have become. I still love a lot of them but it always tempers my sudden need to spend $30 on the pack.

I did notice that the publisher is actually id and not Activision which makes me more likely to spend the money during one of these damn sales.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Is anyone having problems running Defense Grid lately? I cannot get the game to launch anymore, even after re-installing the whole thing.[/QUOTE]

The first thing I always do when Steam is being temperamental is go to the Task Manager and close any instance of GameOverlayUI.exe. For some reason, at random times they don't like to close and it wreaks havoc on anything Steam wants to do from starting a game to browsing the store.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm having a problem resisting Guardians of Graxia. The reviews are saying the game is pretty difficult, which is a big turn-off for me. I love Magic: The Gathering, so I feel like I would like this game.

Can someone let me know their impression?[/QUOTE]

I bought it because I grew up playing MTG.

Its not MTG. It is an okay game...I have MTG for the 360 and I enjoy that
much much more. In the end I guess I don't like the combination of moving my forces along a grid combined with the ability to use powers via fights with cards.

$2.50 is about what I paid for it and the game is certainly well done.
My advice is to try the demo before you buy.

Is the X-Superbox worth it?
or
Should I buy X3 complete and X2? for 7.50
or
Should I buy X3 complete only? 6.24
or
X3: Terrain Conflict only? 4.99

Im obviously new to the X franchise, but it looks really cool. Can anyone comment on the quality of the gameplay and which ones are worth adding to a large backlog and which ones I should pass on if any?

Im new to RTS in general, But starting to really enjoy RTS style games more and more hence my questions...

[quote name='jester55']Is the X-Superbox worth it?
or
or
or

Im obviously new to the X franchise, but it looks really cool. Can anyone comment on the quality of the gameplay and which ones are worth adding to a large backlog and which ones I should pass on if any?

Im new to RTS in general, But starting to really enjoy RTS style games more and more hence my questions...[/QUOTE]

I was torn too but if I'm going to pick up a strategy game I think I'd go with X-COM for the same price

or
or
or

Im new to RTS in general, But starting to really enjoy RTS style games more and more hence my questions...[/QUOTE]

I have not played any of them myself but in forums the majority of people said X3 TC was the best. Because the 2 add on packs were 1.24 for that, I went ahead and bought the complete pack, in case I become some kind of fanatic and want to play X2 or Reunion.

So narrow that to either the superpack or Terran Conflict and I think you'll be ok.

[quote name='macschwag14']If you don't have to absolutely have a Civ game this minute, wait a few months (or worse until the Winter Sale) as Civ 4 complete goes on sale for $6.70ish from time to time. It's a great deal now, but it's an amazing deal for under $7.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I finally replaced my disc-based versions with the Steam complete pack via a sale this way.

[quote name='wilflare']Prince of Persia and Hitman Collection
Should I?[/QUOTE]

I'm on the fence on those exact two sets as well. Not sure how the older 2 hitman games hold up and wonder how well POP plays with a kb/m combo

[quote name='Stry-ker']I'm on the fence on those exact two sets as well. Not sure how the older 2 hitman games hold up and wonder how well POP plays with a kb/m combo[/QUOTE]

high five
hope someone can give a convincing response. sale's ending!

[quote name='wilflare']high five
hope someone can give a convincing response. sale's ending![/QUOTE]

You'd be fine with just Blood Money, in my opinion. The old ones are still decent, but BM was the star of the series.

or
or
or

What I've heard is that each X game is basically a remake of the previous one, but with improvements. So, you won't get anything from X or X2 that you wouldn't get from X3.

[quote name='Stry-ker']I'm on the fence on those exact two sets as well. Not sure how the older 2 hitman games hold up and wonder how well POP plays with a kb/m combo[/QUOTE]

I never played Codename 47.
Silent Assassin and Blood Money are both great.

Contracts is NOT on Steam - but yeah, that was good.
Just, it's not as good as the other two [Silent Assassin and Blood Money].

About POP games - I played them w/ a gamepad. I just play better w/ LOTS of platforming w/ a gamepad - i.e. X360 Controller, in these cases.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']I was torn too but if I'm going to pick up a strategy game I think I'd go with X-COM for the same price[/QUOTE]
Yes, Im interested in this series too. It was 3.74 Daily Deal in December and I missed it! I think I will wait on that one until it hits 3.74 a gain due to my huge backlog.

[quote name='Lint21']What I've heard is that each X game is basically a remake of the previous one, but with improvements. So, you won't get anything from X or X2 that you wouldn't get from X3.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I read this too on CAG and then I see in X universe forums that each have pros and cons to each other. Oh what to do!

[quote name='Guerrilla']It was broken at launch, but some ex-devs/fans have put together unofficial patches which make it awesome. Definitely worth it if you want an excellent RPG with vampires. There are different vampire clans and alliances, so you'll have different experiences as you play different characters. Just hold off on playing a Malkavian until you'll played through at least once. ;)[/QUOTE]

Can anyone confirm if the patches will work with the Steam version?

[quote name='BaboonSqueezer']I got it back in 2009 from a Halloween sale at D2D for $5. The price its at now, well I would say wait, it wil get cheaper. If you have not even heard of the game until now, or have waited this long, I would say you can wait until the Black Friday deals come along.[/QUOTE]

I own the disc copy. The problem is the game has not been on sale for several years.

I really really would like to know if someone can confirm the fan patches work on the Steam version of the game.

I have played X3: Reunion - yeah, it's REALLY good.
Definitely something you can really get lost in and do whatever the heck you want.
When it comes to space-sims, I think of X3: Reunion and Freelancer - just love those games.

I have owned Terran Conflict for some time [from Retail - you can add Retail key to Steam, BTW]...just, I ain't got around to it. In due time.

I did try X2: The Threat - but, really...the KB/mouse controls ain't re-mappable.
So, that pretty much stopped me for going anywhere w/ that one.

I have played X3: Reunion - yeah, it's REALLY good.
Definitely something you can really get lost in and do whatever the heck you want.
When it comes to space-sims, I think of X3: Reunion and Freelancer - just love those games.

I have owned Terran Conflict for some time [from Retail - you can add Retail key to Steam, BTW]...just, I ain't got around to it. In due time.

I did try X2: The Threat - but, really...the KB/mouse controls ain't re-mappable.
So, that pretty much stopped me for going anywhere w/ that one.

[quote name='MysterD']I never played Codename 47.
Silent Assassin and Blood Money are both great.

Contracts is NOT on Steam - but yeah, that was good.
Just, it's not as good as the other two [Silent Assassin and Blood Money].

About POP games - I played them w/ a gamepad. I just play better w/ LOTS of platforming w/ a gamepad - i.e. X360 Controller, in these cases.[/QUOTE]

hmm so the best Hitman games are (in order)
Blood Money
Silent Assassin
Codename 47?

got Bloody Money.. thinking of the other two

Ended up getting PoP 2008 with 7 minutes to go. I read that it was easier (no dying, etc.), and it is also rated higher than forgotten sands. If I like it I will pick the others up during the winter sale, as you only save ~2.50 with the pack compared to separate anyways.

[quote name='MysterD']I have played X3: Reunion - yeah, it's REALLY good.

So, that pretty much stopped me for going anywhere w/ that one.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this response! Went ahead and picked up X3 Complete for 6.24 since the rest will prob be same price in future anyway and your response makes sense!

Thanks

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Can anyone confirm if the patches will work with the Steam version?

I own the disc copy. The problem is the game has not been on sale for several years.

I really really would like to know if someone can confirm the fan patches work on the Steam version of the game.[/QUOTE]

Good question.
I think I have your answer.
Read this.

Both the True Patch Gold Edition and the Unofficial Patch have install instructions for Steam users in their read-me files. In order to get to those read-me files on the TPG all you have to do is download it then unzip it then open the folder to look for the install read-me. The UP is a little more complicated, you need to download it then start the exe then send it to a neutral location so that you can accesses the folders to get to the read-me.

With the Steam version it should be found here:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/vampire the masquerade - bloodlines on a 64bit OS
C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/vampire the masquerade - bloodlines on a 32bit OS
If your games aren't stored on your C drive then use what ever drive you're using.

As far as taking care of crashing and other bugs. I know that the TPG has no issues, it has only bug fixes and some minor changes. As far as the UP, I dont know about the latest release, so maybe one of those guys can come in and let you know.

[quote name='folkmojo']I bought it because I grew up playing MTG.

Its not MTG. It is an okay game...I have MTG for the 360 and I enjoy that
much much more. In the end I guess I don't like the combination of moving my forces along a grid combined with the ability to use powers via fights with cards.

$2.50 is about what I paid for it and the game is certainly well done.
My advice is to try the demo before you buy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. I've downloaded the demo, and I'll buy it or not based on my impressions there. I too have the MTG games, so we'll see what I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back