Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
I only picked up only a few games this time due to my massive backlog and trying to get my budget under control this month.

Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition
Sam & Max Complete (gift for sister)

Picked up Defense Grid: The Awakening and Singularity off D2D since I have unused credit there & they happened to pricematch Steam. Also picked up DoWII: Retribution when Amazon had it for $7.50 and activated it on Steam.

Redeemed my tickets for Alien Breed 2, Zombie Driver DLC, Portal 2 goggles & TF2 Sunglasses.

[quote name='utopianmachine']
I think possibly Holiday sales are better because Steam knows your money is also tied up in buying Christmas presents. They have to lower their prices so we can feel justified in spending on ourselves.[/QUOTE]

Is it a bad sign that I never feel I need justification for spending on myself? :lol:

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Is it a bad sign that I never feel I need justification for spending on myself? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Esp during a steam sale. SO CHEAP. I spent what I earn in an hour and got a boatload of games :D

So I only picked up Atom Zombie Smasher for $5. Really like it so far. Very casual but has strategy. Its a nice break when I just wanna sit back and play something that doesnt require my full on attention.

My haul this year:

- Fallout: New Vegas
- Fallout 3: GOTY (gift from a friend)
- Half-Life 2: Episode One
- Torchlight (gift for my g/f)
- Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

Not bad at all.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Thank goodness. I definitely needed no more temptations.[/QUOTE]

Well we all kinda follow the unwritten CAG rule: Buy first, cry later.

Biggest purchase this sale: The Witcher 2.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Is it a bad sign that I never feel I need justification for spending on myself? :lol:[/QUOTE]
It's fine as long as you can afford it.

Also :grouphug: to everyone making me feel not alone about this sale. I feel good I wasn't the only one who spent so much. I can tell the winter sale wont be as bad for me since I have what I mostly want.

Since we're waving e-peens/showing the damage done, blurgh.

Bought:
The Mawesome Pack
Spectromancer League of Heroes
Spectromancer Truth and Beauty
Guardians of Graxia Elves and Dwarves
Gratuitous Space Battles Nomads
Gratuitous Space Battles Galactic Conquest
Back to the Future the Game
Bit Trip Runner
Majesty 2 Battles of Ardania
Majesty 2 Monster Kingdom
Elven Legacy
Elven Legacy Magic
Elven Legacy Ranger
Elven Legacy Siege
Hamilton's Great Adventure
Magicka Vietnam
Magicka Marshland
Magicka Frozen Lake
Magicka Watchtower
Magicka Final Frontier
Magicka Robe Bundle
Garshasp the Monster Slayer
Flight Control HD
The Polynomial
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate
Civilization 5 Babylon
Civilization 5 Polynesia
Civilization 5 Spain and Inca
Civilization 5 Denmark
AI War Children of Neinzul
AI War Light of the Spire
King Arthur the Roleplaying Wargame Druids
Beat Hazard Ultra
Jamestown
Sanctum
Risen
Mass Effect 2
Final Hours of Portal 2
Dead Space 2
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
Longest Journey
Dreamfall
Stubbs the Zombie
Eschalon Book 1
Eschalon Book 2
I-Fluid
Eternity's Child
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Scratches
Oddworld Munch's Oddysee
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
The Scourge Project
Hacker Evolution Collection
Tiny Bang Story
Lume
Syberia 1
Syberia 2
All Just Cause 2 DLC
Alien Breed 3

Ticket prizes:
Alien Breed 2
TF2 shades
AI War Zenith Remnant
Killing Floor skins
Magicka map
Delve Deeper maps
Fate of the World mission
Spacechem campaign
Portal 2 snorkels
Zombie Driver map
AAAAAA maps
X3 Terran Conflict sector
Dawn of War 2 Retribution helmet
ARES suit
Beat Hazard ship
Winter Voices quest
Serious Sam HD skins
Monday Night Combat skins

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']It's fine as long as you can afford it.

Also :grouphug: to everyone making me feel not alone about this sale. I feel good I wasn't the only one who spent so much. I can tell the winter sale wont be as bad for me since I have what I mostly want.[/QUOTE]

keep telling yourself that :)

spent a bit more than expected given this was my third or 4th if you count black friday steam sale.

I definitely spent more than I expected too, having been through this all since the winter 09/10 sale. Too many games at 50%+ off and under $5 that I wanted to play.

[quote name='Genocidal']I definitely spent more than I expected too, having been through this all since the winter 09/10 sale. Too many games at 50%+ off and under $5 that I wanted to play.[/QUOTE]

My guess is that you will continue wanting to play them for quite a while :lol:

[quote name='Genocidal']I definitely spent more than I expected too, having been through this all since the winter 09/10 sale. Too many games at 50%+ off and under $5 that I wanted to play.[/QUOTE]

under $5 is trouble. i managed to (mostly) avoid impulse buys this year, but it's hard to resist just about anything that's

[quote name='yukine']Great sale, ended up picking up a few games.

Any CAGs willing to let a Left 4 Dead/2 noob co-op with them? :D[/QUOTE]

Sure, I will play some co-op with you.

Code:
Rush  
Greed Corp  
Magicka 
Magicka - Wizards Survival Kit DLC  
Magicka: Nippon DLC  
Magicka: Watchtower  
Magicka: Frozen Lake  
Magicka: Robe Bundle  
Magicka: Vietnam  
Magicka: Final Frontier  
Magicka: Marshland  
Hitman: Blood Money  
Prince of Persia Complete Pack  
The Last Remnant (SQEX)  
Sanctum  
Audiosurf  
Darksiders  
HOARD  
Torchlight  
Hamiltons Great Adventure  
Just Cause 2 DLC - Monster Truck  
JC2 DLC: Black Market Aerial Pack  
JC2 Black Market Boom Pack  
JC2 DLC - Bull's Eye Assault Rifle  
JC2 DLC - Rico's Signature Gun  
JC2 DLC - Chevalier Classic  
JC2 DLC - Agency Hovercraft  
SpaceChem  
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale  
Civilization V (GamersGate)  
BIT.TRIP.RUNNER  
BIT.TRIP.BEAT
TOTAL  	71.45 USD + 6.78 GBP

Crazy Summer Sale
Calculated all my expenses (iOS+PS3+Steam)
dare not... blink..

I'm going to try my level-headed best to not buy much until the next massive sale. I have plenty of games to play between Steam, 3DS, and 360.

(Why do I feel like I'm trying to convince myself to play my other platforms? :D)

My Summer Sale Spoils:

Rift CE
Sanctum 4-pack (felt generous the last day)
Wings of Prey Complete
Frozen Synapse
Recettear
Beat Hazard Complete
Audiosurf
Total War Shogun 2 DLC
Just Cause 2 DLC
Magicka DLC

I was pretty happy with this sale. :)

Does anyone know if it's too late to spend the tickets?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='yukine']Great sale, ended up picking up a few games.

Any CAGs willing to let a Left 4 Dead/2 noob co-op with them? :D[/QUOTE]

yessir. steam id is houdinilogic.

Would it be worth it for me to buy the THQ hits collection if I already own the following:
Company of Heroes
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
Darksiders
Metro 2033
Red Faction Guerilla
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl

My gut says no. I already spent about $130 on this Steam during the Summer Sale. Mainly interested in the Dawn of War series

[quote name='eth3real']Would it be worth it for me to buy the THQ hits collection if I already own the following:
Company of Heroes
Darksiders
Metro 2033
Red Faction Guerilla

My gut says no. I already spent about $130 on this Steam during the Summer Sale. Mainly interested in the Dawn of War series[/QUOTE]
If your interested in the Dawn of War series, then wait till the winter sale. The THQ pack will be on sale again and who knows, maybe the DoW series might be a daily. Also worms is a blast to play when you got friends to play with. Our game last night was epic, I was match leader until about halfway, and then I was first to lose. The best part of the match is my one friend was in a ditch with a wall blockading him so he literally had to do nothing until it was down to two people but he got a bit antsy or something and just jumped into the puddle of water right next to him, ending his chances of winning.

Picked up the Deus Ex pack, Bit Trip Runner, Plants vs. Zombies, Universe Sanbox, and Counterstrike Source for about $26, I could have gotten CS:S cheaper, but I didn't check the day it was on sale.

Anyone play any of the mlb 2k games? I've been kind of wanting to play a baseball game for a while (played the world series baseball games back in the old days lol), wondering if they're any good. Might bite on the deal.

MLB 2k11 9.99? I bought it on the 360 for 59.99 a month ago :(. There has to be a major difference in the game if the price is that different from consoles

[quote name='doh23']MLB 2k11 9.99? I bought it on the 360 for 59.99 a month ago :(. There has to be a major difference in the game if the price is that different from consoles[/QUOTE]

In my opinon I would guess that the differance is the size of the market for sports games on PC vs Consoles. I would wager there is a huge differance in the amount of PC sports players and console sports players. As much as I love PC gameing and am I diehard PC Elitist even i choose xbox or PS3 for football or other Sports games

[quote name='doh23']MLB 2k11 9.99? I bought it on the 360 for 59.99 a month ago :(. There has to be a major difference in the game if the price is that different from consoles[/QUOTE]

[quote name='drakesvg']In my opinon I would guess that the differance is the size of the market for sports games on PC vs Consoles. I would wager there is a huge differance in the amount of PC sports players and console sports players. As much as I love PC gameing and am I diehard PC Elitist even i choose xbox or PS3 for football or other Sports games[/QUOTE]

Do they even offer DLC for these games on PC? One thing could be no DLC = cheaper prices and it's on PC. I never really heard of PC being the premier platform for sports games. So I am sure it's cheap due to low sales.

If it's the exact same game it would of been better for me to buy on PC. I don't even play online in 2k11 so less users wouldnt of mattered. On top of that I've seen some nice mods that make the game look really good.

For anyone who is thinking about getting it, IMO it is worth it for 9.99, I bought it for 59.99 and love it despite some dumb glitches in Franchise mode.

[quote name='eth3real']Would it be worth it for me to buy the THQ hits collection if I already own the following:
Company of Heroes
Darksiders
Metro 2033
Red Faction Guerilla

My gut says no. I already spent about $130 on this Steam during the Summer Sale. Mainly interested in the Dawn of War series[/QUOTE]

fyi, dawn of war II is $10 on d2d today.

http://www.direct2drive.com/4/7535/product/Buy-Warhammer-40,000:whistle2:Dawn-of-War-II-Download

[quote name='DeadlyToothpick']Anyone play any of the mlb 2k games? I've been kind of wanting to play a baseball game for a while (played the world series baseball games back in the old days lol), wondering if they're any good. Might bite on the deal.[/QUOTE]

I have MLB 2K10 on the 360, and I liked it quite a bit. It's not super-duper spectacular, but if you're looking for baseball on the PC, it's a solid buy.

My list this year....

Garry's Mod
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!
The Witcher 2
Grand Theft Auto Classics
The Heroes Pack
SpaceChem
Dwarfs!?
Super Meat Boy
Fable III
Two Worlds II
Killing Floor
Jamestown
Dead Rising 2
Sanctum
Universe Sandbox
Portal 2
Terraria
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall
The Mawesome Pack
Toki Tori
Chime,
Zen Bound 2,
Rush
Anomaly: Warzone Earth
Magicka: Vietnam
Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012

Hopefully good until Winter now...

[quote name='Ardrid']Anyone have an idea as to when Valve will announce the winners of the grand prize?[/QUOTE]

I believe the official rules said that winners would be determined no later than July 12, with alternate winners determined in August, if needed.

I'm watching Valve's facebook page for notice of the "drawing".

[quote name='gcorlett']I believe the official rules said that winners would be determined no later than July 12, with alternate winners determined in August, if needed.

I'm watching Valve's facebook page for notice of the "drawing".[/QUOTE]

It would be nice if I won, but I highly doubt it...

Perhaps this will allow some closure to the questions.

Terraria devs explain Steam sale price hike

From PC Gamer:

"One of the best selling deals in the Summer Steam Sale knocked 75% off the 2D explore-a-thon, Terraria. After the sale went live, the discount was suddenly changed to 50% off. Many saw this as a greedy move from the developers. In a post on the Terraria forums, spotted on Reddit by Doomed, Re-Logic say that the discount was supposed to be 50% off from the start.

“We did not intend the sale price to be 75% off at any time,” writes developer, Blue. “When the situation was noticed, it was corrected. Hence why it so quickly changed to 50% and caused so many so much grief. We’ve received many angry emails for people blaming us personally, and calling us greedy, but that is simply not the case here.”

“We do not handle distribution. It would be like blaming a food-product maker for a mistake a grocery store made in pricing. They just made the product, and besides telling the store what price they should use, they don’t control how it’s implemented by the sticker gun in the random stock persons hand.

“We don’t feel Steam should get a bad rap for it either, as all it takes is a simple slip in human error to have a bad situation arise. And no one can be said to lead a mistake-less life. We appreciate our friends over at Valve and could not have brought the game to the world so readily without their help. So if you enjoy the game, and yet this situation has ‘upset you’. I would just have to say, please take it in stride and don’t let it put a sour taste in your mouth toward Re-Logic, or Steam.”

Re-Logic are planning the next update for Terraria, which will make the game “150% more difficult,” adding more complicated dungeons and more challenging bosses. If you recently picked up Terraria in the Steam sale, check out our beginner’s guide to get started.
"

[quote name='guardian_owl']Except it wasn't "quickly" changed, it was up for hours before it was changed mid-day if my recollection is correct.[/QUOTE]

Up for less than a hour at 75% if I remember correctly...

Speaking of D2D (and Steam), D2D has Rome Total War Gold Edition for $3.95 and The Stronghold Collection for $7.95.

How do these prices compare to what steam was offering during the recent sale? Are these the best deals we'll probably see for awhile on these games? (And thoughts on the games themselves would be appreciated)....

Thanks

[quote name='houdinilogic']fyi, dawn of war II is $10 on d2d today.

http://www.direct2drive.com/4/7535/product/Buy-Warhammer-40,000:whistle2:Dawn-of-War-II-Download[/QUOTE]

[quote name='terb73']Up for less than a hour at 75% if I remember correctly...[/QUOTE]

maybe you're thinking of the DoWII price change? that didn't last very long. terraria was at 75% off for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back