Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Sorry for the off-topic reply, but does anyone know someone here at CAG that trades Gamestop gift codes for Amazon or PayPal? I need a gift code so I can get enough cash to use that $10 discount voucher I got on a pair of headphones.
I've sold a few of them myself but have none at the moment. Amazon sells GS GCs (Email delivery too) though.

Last edited by a moderator:
16GB is overkill this year. Next year, it'll still be overkill.
Fixed. Maybe when DDR4 comes out and is commercially reasonable I'll consider going to 16 but that's probably not for another two years.

Just bumped mine up to 24GB
Do you autocad, bro?

Also, as much as I love MysterD (well, sort of), 4 GB VRAM on a 960 with a 256 bus is like tits on a bull.

Oh wow...
And even despite that low-bus 128-bit, that 4GB really does wonders. With so many other newer games at higher settings, they can eat over 2GB of VRAM usage easy - think Watch Dogs, ACU, FC4, The Evil Within. This 4GB 960 still can take almost anything at 1080p at often anywhere around 40-60 FPS on High to Ultra settings (30FPS to 60 with Batman AK specifically, if capped to 60FPS) - which is absolutely fine for me.

If performance bounces around and b/t a min and max for framerates, if the game can handle the 3rd-party app also running (i.e. EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner, whatever) - I'll just lock it down to a fair framerate in-between where it bounces often (so it don't bounce around too much) or set it to where it's consistently usually sitting. Often solving the problem just basically involves locking at either 40 frames to 45 frames just to keep High to Ultra settings smooth at 1080p.

Also, as much as I love MysterD (well, sort of), 4 GB VRAM on a 960 with a 256 bus is like tits on a bull.
TitsonaBull.jpg

I dunno, I think it adds something.

Nobody's mentioned the Stardock 2016 pack at Gamersgate? I think the sale is almost over, but I just picked it up for about $13 in blue coins.  Includes:

• Dead Man’s Draw
  • Demigod
  • Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
  • Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Edition
  • Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
  • Galactic Civilizations III
  • Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
  • Sorcerer King

Unfortunately it's a single key so my dupes of FE and GC2 went to waste, but for me it was worth it for GC3, Sins, and Sorcerer King.

Now I have to figure out what to do with this dud of a code for Arkham Origins I bought the other week.  It should be territory-free, but on activation I get "Sorry, but the following items are not available for purchase in this country. Your purchase has been cancelled."  A search brings up the following thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/209000/discussions/0/648811126460953448/#p1 according to which, as far as I could tell, a number of people had the same problem which was magically fixed some days later by WB, i.e., the same codes suddenly worked.  Others got around it by activating over VPN, which I have no desire to do.  I know a couple people here also got it off GG recently - did you guys have any problems with your codes?

Have you tried to buy on nuuvem with vpn the game? According to my last info, it doesn't have any locks, so the only thing you could get is your payment been declined by paypal.
Don't do it. Sega has been known to region lock at the last minute right at release and they know about Nuuvem and have been doing BR/SA locks in the past.

Nobody's mentioned the Stardock 2016 pack at Gamersgate?
I think I briefly mentioned it a while back. I suspect many of us have those games except for Sorcerer King. Other than that one, they're pretty old. Also it's Stardock. :p

At that price I'd say you have to not own any of those games and really want them.

Don't do it. Sega has been known to region lock at the last minute right at release and they know about Nuuvem and have been doing BR/SA locks in the past.

I think I briefly mentioned it a while back. I suspect many of us have those games except for Sorcerer King. Other than that one, they're pretty old. Also it's Stardock. :p

At that price I'd say you have to not own any of those games and really want them.
LOL sorry, my bad, I've been very sick mentally and consufused Lego World with Sonic World. Lego World is ROW, and sonic is not. MY apologizes for my error, and thank you Motoki for pointing out my fault.

Don't buy, as Motoki said.

So since we were talking about new builds, I finally completed my build over the weekend. Now I have an issue: I bought an SSD and I need to install Windows on it. I got a key for Win 8 for free from the Windows App Creator thing that was going around here on CAG a year or so ago. So I used the Microsoft site to download the .iso for Windows 8 and burned it to a DVD. Booted to the DVD and the Win 8 logo popped up like it was starting the install process but the "circle" just kept spinning and spinning, even after 20 min or so and I took the DVD out. So what now? I'll try it again when I get home tonight but I'm worried. I also have a semi-secondary issue. I also have an HDD from my old PC that I installed that has Win 7 on it. I tried to boot into that, which worked, but I can't actually boot into Windows as there was a password on the account and I can't get any keyboard/mouse to work. I've never actually used an HDD with an OS already installed in another PC, is it just normally plug and play? I figured you all have more experience when it comes to builds and transferring parts between them, so thanks for the help.

End Wall of Text.

I don't believe that you can just swap out a drive with a licensed copy of Windows like that.  Windows checks against the motherboard and CPU (and perhaps other components) to determine if it's in the correct licensed machine.  If you just swap/upgrade one component at a time, it's generally not a problem but being in a whole new machine would probably throw up red flags in the OS.

windows is locked to the motherboard for that copy of windows.  I do not think just swapping a drive would work, but I have never tried so I could be wrong.

As far as windows 8(ewww 8 sucks), perhaps the .iso you have is bad or perhaps the dvd drive isnt working?  Try redoing the windows 8 .iso on the dvd and on a usb drive.  If the usb drive works but the dvd doesnt then maybe you have something wrong with the dvd drive?  

edit - or you can just install steam OS

edit2 - or you can try Ubuntu OS

edit3 - or you can call geeksquad

I would try the install from DVD again and If you get the same results, maybe try creating a Windows 8 USB drive instead of a DVD (There should be an option for this when creating the Windows 8 ISO).

If you ever want to move a hard drive from one computer to another permanently, I would recommend doing a Sysprep on the old computer before moving the HDD over to the new computer. You will have to reactivate Windows after words, so be careful and make sure you have the key!

And if you really don't know the password for that Windows 7 HDD there is a utility called "Offline NT password & registry editor" that can reset the Local administrator's password.

I don't believe that you can just swap out a drive with a licensed copy of Windows like that. Windows checks against the motherboard and CPU (and perhaps other components) to determine if it's in the correct licensed machine. If you just swap/upgrade one component at a time, it's generally not a problem but being in a whole new machine would probably throw up red flags in the OS.
windows is locked to the motherboard for that copy of windows. I do not think just swapping a drive would work, but I have never tried so I could be wrong.

As far as windows 8(ewww 8 sucks), perhaps the .iso you have is bad or perhaps the dvd drive isnt working? Try redoing the windows 8 .iso on the dvd and on a usb drive. If the usb drive works but the dvd doesnt then maybe you have something wrong with the dvd drive?

edit - or you can just install steam OS

edit2 - or you can try Ubuntu OS

edit3 - or you can call geeksquad
Yeah, I'll get right no that.

So I should have clarified, I plan on upgrading to Windows 10 once I get 8 installed correctly. The only reason I can't go straight into 10 is because my key is specifically for Win 8. The Windows Support tech confirmed that I would have to install 8 and then upgrade.

And I didn't realize that Windows was tied to the motherboard, I was hoping I could boot Win 10 on the SSD or boot 7 on the HDD, guess not (unless I reinstall 7). I thought it was odd the Windows would start but I just couldn't use a mouse or kb, guess that might have something to do with this motherboard thing.

So it looks like I'll just have to give it a try again tonight and if not, maybe try to clear out a USB drive. What sucks is I only have one USB over 4GB and I'd have to clear it off 1st since it wipes it. Maybe I just need to wait longer?

Is there something I need to do to the SSD before I try to install an OS to it? 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, btw.

Thanks for the help/advice everyone.

Except you. You know who you are.

And if you really don't know the password for that Windows 7 HDD there is a utility called "Offline NT password & registry editor" that can reset the Local administrator's password.
I know the password, just can't get the kb/m to work so I can type it in. Really odd since they work when I access the bios. (BTW, my mouse even works on the bios screen, pretty cool. Never been able to do that before, always been kb driven.)

Really, people have GalCiv3 already? I didn't recall any sales on it, and itad.com says lowest was just 50% off, unless GG has had it for Russian pricing before, before I knew about it.

I think that's only valid for OEM versions...
Yea but who buys retail when it has basically the same imitation for more money? retail can only be active on one machine at a time. I've transferred my windws 7 oem to a new motherboard by calling MS support and explaining I had to replace the motherboard and they gave me a new activation key. So sure you can pay more for retail but you are just wasting your money.

Except you. You know who you are.

I know the password, just can't get the kb/m to work so I can type it in. Really odd since they work when I access the bios. (BTW, my mouse even works on the bios screen, pretty cool. Never been able to do that before, always been kb driven.)
are you using a wireless keyboard and mouse or a wired? I had a issue once where my wireless keyboard wasnt recognized after a windows 7 install and I had to use the wired keyboard to get everything setup in windows.

Really, people have GalCiv3 already? I didn't recall any sales on it, and itad.com says lowest was just 50% off, unless GG has had it for Russian pricing before, before I knew about it.
Ye, I posted it yesterday about GG russia. Or some days ago? I don't rememeber but I posted.

In other news: Started Witcher 3 last week. Played 18 hours so far.. 9% completion. This could take a while.
Update: 65 hours & 49 minutes later I am still only at 23%.

Edit: Spoiler'd the mini-review/mod recommendations to spare those who don't care:

I am amazed at how detailed and huge this game is. Yes, some of the minor quests are lame (hold down the left trigger and follow your Witcher senses' red trail to the prize) but most are pretty damn good. I was shocked at how much detail was put into a few of the minor, completely optional and miss-able, side-quests (the sheer amount of voice acting alone in these quests are impressive). The dungeon designs are also refreshingly non-cookie cutter.

I don't know when I've put this much time into a game (that wasn't Warframe or an MMO) and not gotten bored (I only got about 25 hours into Skyrim before giving up).

Of course, some of the mods I've installed help - I don't bother with weight limits on inventory or weapon/armor durability for instance - the game is long enough without having to deal with all the built-in time sinks like that. I also recommend fast travel from anywhere to anyone thinking about playing the game.

I guess it should be noted here that I am a Witcher fan and that I've actually read some of the books.
------

Unrelated: I just noticed I received a promo email from Newegg the other day $10 off no minimum (haven't bought from them in a while). It might be worth the rest of you checking your spam folders - although I can't really find anything other than Assassin's Creed Chronicles in the digital games section that I need/want for under $10.

I've tried both, but the wireless kb/m worked in the bios. I may try the wired again tonight when I have more time to work on it.
In my experience, the fact that the hard drive is an SSD should not matter; Windows should see it as any other SATA drive. You may want to ensure there is no other storage plugged in besides the DVD drive (USB drives, other hard drives) so there is no confusion at boot time, which is the bootable drive. Also, check the boot order in the BIOS.

Alternatively, you could try installing to a standard hard drive if you can't get the SSD to work, and then copy the installed files over to the SSD and swap them out. Something like Acronis (or a free alternative) could be used to move the files to the SSD - I don't think this should affect the windows activation.

I've tried both, but the wireless kb/m worked in the bios. I may try the wired again tonight when I have more time to work on it.
It sounds like it is searching Windows updates for drivers for your keyboard and Mouse. You may have to give it a while to find and install these. I would just leave it on at the login screen for a bit (15 minutes maybe)

Vertiginous Golf FREE to keep for 24hours:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/272890/

Hope you skipped the bundle.
Thanks for the Head's Up.

This brings up a bit of a dilemma for me though. I've been sitting on 2,999 games in my library for a couple of weeks now trying to decide what should be my 3,000th game. Because of this giveaway though, I've either gotta make up my damn mind and choose something to be 3000, or accept Vertiginous Golf as 3000, or not take the free game.

Obviously that last choice is not an option. And I don't really want VG to be 3000. So it's time to finally choose something.

This brings up a bit of a dilemma for me though. I've been sitting on 2,999 games in my library for a couple of weeks now trying to decide what should be my 3,000th game. Because of this giveaway though, I've either gotta make up my damn mind and choose something to be 3000, or accept Vertiginous Golf as 3000, or not take the free game.

Obviously that last choice is not an option. And I don't really want VG to be 3000. So it's time to finally choose something.
I hope you rent the honeymoon suite at a nice hotel room when you do finally add the 3000 game and don't just do it in the back seat of a car somewhere.

I think the bigger problem is now Bobby has more games than you. C'mon, are you gonna worry about what your 3,000th game is, or having a higher steam count than Bobby???

bread's done
Back