Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
I mostly resent Epic because of the free games I missed out on during the first 5-6 months when I was resenting Epic.
I resent that I missed out on the beginning of the oblongs kerfuffle because I missed my chance to post racist and anti-Semitic statements and also the odd threat of violence.

Also, I resent that I don't actually care about any of it enough to go back and read any of those Steam forum threads.

Perhaps I would feel differently about this if the game itself were something I cared about even a little. But I'm not sure that's true either.

Hm. Let's see. . . I'm not supposed to eat pizza anymore because it's too acidic, so no pizza posts for me. Still enjoying FH4, but I'm waiting for a discount of some sort on the James Bond car pack. I haven't dipped into the LEGO content yet. I'm mostly still murdering people for fun and profit on PC with AC: Origins. Once you get to around level 28, the XP curve rises, so I'm continuing to do random side quests to level up in preparation for jumping back into the main storyline.

The Telltale Guardians of the Galaxy game was pretty fun. If you only know the characters from the movies, it provides an interesting backstory for some of the main characters, and each of them (even Rocket and Mantis) gets a bit more development than you see in the films.

EDIT: I have killed a LOT of animals in Assassins Creed. Most of them did nothing to deserve it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So next week another former Humble Monthly headliner, Mutant Year Zero, is being given away on EGS. At this rate, given that I don't have it on Steam already from that really old monthly, I hope Stardew Valley appears at some point.
Incoming Sniper Elite. Consider yourself forewarned.

You should get a Huawei phone.
Probably safer than signing up for an Epic store account.

tenor.gif

Hmmm, some interesting things on sale on Steam today. 80% off the Zero Escape and Danganropa games. I've heard so many raves about both, but I've never really "played" a visual novel. Are these basically just choose your own adventure novels or is one more gamey than the other?

Free weekend for Disgaea 5 is tempting, but I know I would barely scratch the surface of that game in a weekend.

20% off Steamworld Quest. My favorite games of the last few years have been Slay the Spire and the Hearthstone roguelikes, so this seems like a must-get to me, but I feel like I should wait for a bundle or for it to be free on Twitch/Xbox game pass/Epic or something.

Steamworld Quest has a relatively innovative deck building system. It is not a rougelike or lite at all. Just an RPG game with a card battle system. It is good, not super long (think I beat it around the 16 hour mark 100%) and is very challenging on hard. It pushed me to the limit for at least 2 bosses. So hard and having to use items effectively.

Hmmm, some interesting things on sale on Steam today. 80% off the Zero Escape and Danganropa games. I've heard so many raves about both, but I've never really "played" a visual novel. Are these basically just choose your own adventure novels or is one more gamey than the other?
The Zero Escape games have point-and-click/hidden object style rooms to play through and solve with some choose your own adventure story aspects. The Danganronpa games have mild exploration aspects and they game-ify some story interactions (though it's not always particularly fun) - but the joy in these is working through mysteries in your head (and the ridiculous characters/story). Danganronpa has a considerably goofier tone than Zero Escape.

These are more game than your average visual novel. Zero Escape has some exploration/puzzle (Myst-lite) integrated into it, and has some supernatural elements. Danganronpa has point-and-click exploration where you gather clues presented through a visual novel style, and then you reach a decision in "court" a la Phoenix Wright, but with minigames. Neither are really "choose your own adventure" novels, since there's really only one correct result.

They're basically more like old-school Sierra games with -a lot- more story.

For someone who only played the first Zero Escape back when it was called 999 on the DS, and also someone who currently only has a non-gaming laptop to use, would you recommend the newer games? Might be my first true Steam purchase in a long while.

Phew, glad I held off on buying the Nonary Game trilogy on the Steam Summer sale. Getting the bundle at under $8 is a sweet deal  compared to something like $16 or so during the summer sale. Played a bit through Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and the voice acting is a nice addition. I don't remember them being in the DS version I played years ago. It's dual language and i went with the Japanese first. Will try the English option on my next play.

Prey, Dishonored 2, Doom, Zero Escape, Danganronpa. These sales are far more enticing than 99% of what was offered during the last few major sales.

Prey, Dishonored 2, Doom, Zero Escape, Danganronpa. These sales are far more enticing than 99% of what was offered during the last few major sales.
I spent $2.50 during the sale and about $60 since, probably the first time the wallet has hit single digits since trading cards launched

This Spike Chunsoft sale is pretty stellar.   I'd recommend getting Danganronpa 1-2, The Nonary Games, and Zero Time Dilemma to anyone who doesn't already have them.  You can get all four for $15.16.  Or just try Danganronpa 1 for $4 if you want to get your feet wet. 

Damn this Spike Chunsoft sale is actually going to get me to bite on a bunch of their games like the Danganronpa and Zero Escape Series might as well have them on PC too 

Yep, unexpectedly good prices from Spike Chunsoft.  I already own the VN's on Vita.. but I think I'll be picking up the spinoff title I don't own - Danganronpa Another Episode ($6)

I'll probably be jumping on them as well...  I think some folks here also recommend the Fire Pro Wrestling game - It's been this price before, but tempted now...

I played the older Fire Pro Wrestling on the PS2. These games rock though the graphics are heavily outdated. Still some of the best wrestling in these games and the customization for them is quite extreme.

Still enjoying FH4, but I'm waiting for a discount of some sort on the James Bond car pack. I haven't dipped into the LEGO content yet.
While I dont have the Lego Content (simply leeching from XB GPU) FH4 seems to be about the only game I play nowadays (never saw that coming). Feel free to add me if you play multiplayer ( hostyl1 just like here). I like the playground games.

I've played all the Zero Escapes to completion and have played all the mainline Danganronpas (havent finished 3 and own but havent player Ultra Despair girls). Starting with the latter first, the Danganronpas are the more straight forward of the games. I recall the first one having multiple endings, but it was a real binary choice in one simple place that it was easy to correct and go down the 'true' path. Like others have said, it's most aptly compared to Phoenix Wright, with maybe a bit of Persona's "spend time" mechanic to learn a little more about a character's personality. Though it doesnt really matter as far as the story is concerned. The main gameplay loop is "spend time" till an incident happens (you can just sleep sometimes too), once an incident happens, it tuns into an adventure game where you have to inspect rooms/things/people to gather needed clues (you cannot miss needed clues). Once all needed clues have been obtained, you move to a courtroom like "trial" where you use the clues to uncover the suspect.

The "trials" include more game-y, or should I say mini-game-y, elements. Sometimes you have to shoot bubbles to spell out a word, others are more like a snowboard game where you have to avoid obstacle, and still others have literal "truth bullets" that you have to shoot at certain statements to catch contradictions. Most are timed, but very generously so. In any case, there is one through line so if you mess up, you simply repeat that exact same scene; completely linear.

Zero Escape series (999, VLR, and ZTD) are different in that there are multiple endings that can be reached in different orders. It is actually a game mechanic that you *must* reach these 'bad' endings in order to unlock the *true* ending. In the case of 999, this was a little esoteric on DS (dont know if that changed with Steam port) but with VLR and ZTD, there is an in-game flowchart that shows the branching paths that you have taken and the ones you have not yet taken. Once you've taken all the paths, you unlock the truth (goes faster in practice than it sounds in explanation).

The main game play loop in these are a series of "escape rooms" that I'm sure your familiar with. The branches come from being in a large group, you have to split up and simultaneously go to different rooms. You, the player, mostly get to decide what the groups are and occasionally, you get to make other binary choices (push the button/dont push the button), that's the branch in the flowchart. There is less "game" as there are virtually no twitchy elements, maybe a timer or two. But the escape rooms do provide your standard point-and-click style game logic puzzles.

Both sets of games are text heavy, so get ready for reading. I played them all on handhelds (DS and Vita) and it was fine. Just know, that you are there for the story they want to tell and not for any real twitch action. I've liked both series as they both have interesting characters. True, I petered out on DR3, but I think I just needed a break after binging the Danganronpa anime just before starting DR3 and just havent gone back, though I intended on so doing. I think the current price is very fair for both series. I bought all but 999 (late comer) at launch and havent regretted it.

I'll probably be jumping on them as well... I think some folks here also recommend the Fire Pro Wrestling game - It's been this price before, but tempted now...
Yeah, it's great.

Tons of wrestlers in The Workshop. I must have over 700+ loaded - with different leagues and all: NJPW, Impact, MLW and other Indies, WWE NXT, WWE Raw, WWE SD, old school ECW, etc etc. I need to check the Workshop and update - maybe get some AEW stuff on there too!

I do wish there were more matches types, as there's mostly One on One, Tag, and Hardcore Matches. Granted, there ain't many match types in NJPW normally - but I love how WWE has so many match types, especially in 2K19 (Ladder, Cage, HIAC, MITB, Tag 3 on 3, FFA Multi-Man Matches, RR, BR, One Fall and numerous variations that you can customize (one fall, elimination, etc).

You can't go all out w/ big moves early, or you'll tire out early and likely lose. Can't waste moves here; you need to be precise, strategic, and know when to throw a move at the right time. Need to start and work from chain wrestling (holds; headlocks; grapples; etc) before you can work up to bigger moves (suplexes, slams, aerial moves, running moves, DDT's, clotheslines, etc) in a match - which is very similar to how most modern NJPW matches go, these day and age. This might even be more sim-y than the WWE games, which are also now more sim-y than arcade-y on the combat.

I also wish in your Finishers List in FPWW, there were separate finishers for Tag and Solo moves like WWE 2K series does. Feels like a waste of a finisher, if you stick someone with a Tag Finisher (like say The Young Bucks, Dudleyz, etc) - and you often are just doing solo matches.

FPWW is missing a campaign mode out the box unless you get DLC's, so...I'm tempted by the NJPW-based DLC's b/c of the modes and the tons of wrestlers each pack officially gives. But, since I bought WWE 2K19 Deluxe recently (which is also really good and customizable), might wait; unsure.

Also feels like FPWW is missing a Seasonal-like MyUniverse Mode where you can book shows, titles, events, PPV's, feuds/rivalries, sim some matches on shows, and other cool things.

Regardless, even despite everything, FPWW is really good. Highly recommend it.

If anyone hasn't redeemed their Black Ops 4 cosmetic code from a Humble Monthly a few months back, please let me know!

EDIT: I'm all set now!

It's going to take a lot for Borderlands 3 to impress me without it feeling like yet another sequel retread.  I have really mixed excitement for it.  Like I wanna play it badly, but I'm setting my expectations very low.  Plus I really don't care for their business model and content distribution. 

Hopefully there is some endgame stuff this time around instead of the vapid, endless loot treadmill where the artificial barrier becomes removed once they simply increase the level cap in a future 10-hour DLC, rendering all your previous grinding worthless. 

I think that I just need to accept that it's an 80 to 100-hour, single-dose game, and leave it at that.  But the issue is how they sell it to us as games-as-a-service.   That I need to pay $100-120+ for it upfront in order to get the full single-player experience while it's new, whereas everybody else will be able to get it for $20-30 with all DLC included in an updated version in about a year.  I would struggle less with it if these publishers didn't cannibalize the value of their own IPs by massively slashing prices like that.  But it is what it is.

Borderlands was great upon inception but now I believe that it suffers from an identity crisis.  I know that very few of you will agree.  But I did used to love this franchise.

I still need to play Borderlands 2's DLC's (from the Season Pass) and Borderlands: TPS & its Season Pass - so yeah, I'll buy Borderlands 3 probably at a much later time.

I've been slipping on my Indiegala posts for the past few days.

Myrne: The Quest is free right now (direct download, no Steam key):

https://freebies.indiegala.com/myrne-the-quest/?dev_id=freebies

Planet of Mubu is also free right now (direct download, no Steam key):

https://freebies.indiegala.com/planet-of-mubu/?dev_id=freebies

And they have a neat Bandai-Namco Hidden Gems bundle for $4.99 that includes Steam keys for DeadCore, Pac-Man 256, and Ridge Racer Unbounded:

https://www.indiegala.com/bandai-hidden-gems-steam-bundle

With the shit 2K have been up to and Pitchford being himself,  the Epic exclusive nonsense is the tip of the iceberg for me.  As much as I loved the other games I am not sure I want to give either party another dime even when it hits Steam.  If I can not help myself I might play a used PS4 copy or something.

Destiny came along and greatly raised the bar for this kind of game.   It offers much more, including rewarding achievements, multiplayer raids, continued character and gun evolution, and pvp for the same kind of pricing structure. One simple thing that BL needs to do is add 'infusion' to your old guns so that you can raise them to your current level and take them with you when you have a powerful gun that you really like.  Times have changed. 

I guess that plenty of people love the cartoony cel-shaded presentation and the wacky characters so it doesn't matter.  But I still feel like BL is a single-player game at its core, one that masquerades as a longitudinal DLC/service title in order to make more money than it deserves.   It's going to take more than fetch and kill quests this time around. 

Destiny came along and greatly raised the bar for this kind of game. It offers much more, including rewarding achievements, multiplayer raids, continued character and gun evolution, and pvp for the same kind of pricing structure. One simple thing that BL needs to do is add 'infusion' to your old guns so that you can raise them to your current level and take them with you when you have a powerful gun that you really like. Times have changed.

I guess that plenty of people love the cartoony cel-shaded presentation and the wacky characters so it doesn't matter. But I still feel like BL is a single-player game at its core, one that masquerades as a longitudinal DLC/service title in order to make more money than it deserves. It's going to take more than fetch and kill quests this time around.
Borderlands doesn't need to become like Destiny.

We've got enough games with loot progression & loot modifying systems - such as Division series, Hellgate: London, Diablo series, Titan Quests series, numerous other ARPG's, etc. Now the AC series is getting on and into this madness (see Origins and Odyssey).

I think I have enough games now where we can tinker w/ loot. I feel like I spend more time tinkering w/ loot...than just selling loot and sticking w/ the actual action.

And I don't want Borderlands to go online-only either, while I'm at it.

Let's just let Borderlands....stay, remain, and be Borderlands.

Derpstany raised the bar... in terms of ludicrous amounts of DLC they can use to make the effective cost of a video game $200+
You're dipping into the Kool-Aid and you don't even know the flavor.

Borderlands doesn't need to become like Destiny.
Right, no, of course it doesn't. But its pricing structure should be more in-line with a proper single player game.

These companies need to take a page out of the Nintendo playbook and stop devaluing their banner franchises to $20. So that people don't feel like assholes after they buy their games for $100+.

Right, no, of course it doesn't. But its pricing structure should be more in-line with a proper single player game.

These companies need to take a page out of the Nintendo playbook and stop devaluing their banner franchises to $20. So that people don't feel like assholes after they buy their games for $100+.
Borderlands isn't entirely a SP-game, even though some of us (lime myself!) play it like such. It also has optional co-op.

About the devaluing and whatnot - this is exactly why I don't buy most games on Pre-Order, Day 1, or Week 1 anymore.

Games loaded w/ DLC's, multiple Season Passes, Re-Released Bundles with more content, MTX's - meh, I'll just wait for deeper price cuts or editions w/ more content later.

The above also doesn't mention games that are being released w/ performance issues and are better suited w/ me waiting for patches with better optimization, performances, hardware, and whatnot behind it - but hell, I might as well mention it...and well, I just did.

With more games adding progression systems with loot systems; and character leveling & and skill trees - yeah, these games are getting longer and longer; and adding more padding to their length.

Pretty much.  I need to wake up and not support them. 

It's kind of sad when it's a game you're excited about and want to play.  I guess I'm just another entitled PC gamer!

Derpstany raised the bar... in terms of ludicrous amounts of DLC they can use to make the effective cost of a video game $200+
In regards to Destiny 2....

Base Game; DLC's/Season Pass; Forsaken Expansion Pack/Compilation Re-Release Package; Annual Pass; upcoming Shadowkeep, MTX's....

Yep, main reason even with Forsaken package (that compilation re-release only is missing Annual Pass), I ain't bought more Destiny 2.

I only have D2 base-game on PC, BTW.

Base Game; DLC's/Season Pass; Forsaken Expansion Pack/Compilation Re-Release Package; Annual Pass; upcoming Shadowkeep, MTX's - yep, main reason even with Forsaken package, I ain't bought more Destiny 2.
Honestly, as a casual observer who doesn't know that much about Derp 2, I'm kind of confused as to wtf I would have to buy to be 'current.' I'm guessing if you buy the new thing on Steam you get everything because they don't sell anything else on Steam. It's a nice 'catch-up' feature so as to not put new players behind a $200 paywall, but it remains to be seen whether they'll stick with reasonable expansion releases a la Guild Wars 2 or continue with their old format.

In some ways it can be more expensive than WoW. Let's say I buy the latest WoW expansion, play casually for a month (I actually did that just recently) but then put it aside because I'm bored. If, for whatever reason, I want to check out a new content patch six months down the road, all it takes is a $15 sub fee for that month and I get the content for free. In that same span Derp 2 could have released a pair of DLC and another expansion which ultimately work out to more than the $15 resub fee for WoW.

If someone plays Derp 2 constantly for months on end then it probably works out to be a better deal. However, that's not the demographic you need to worry about persuading to play your game since they're already hooked.

Care to elaborate?

Base Game; DLC's/Season Pass; Forsaken Expansion Pack/Compilation Re-Release Package; Annual Pass; upcoming Shadowkeep, MTX's....

Yep, main reason even with Forsaken package (that compilation re-release only is missing Annual Pass), I ain't bought more Destiny 2.

I only have D2 base-game on PC, BTW.
It's $100/year basically. It's also the new form of what used to be traditional pc MMORPGs with monthly subs. It's an evolution of that model. Destiny is an MMO-lite. It isn't for everyone and that's fine.

Pretty much. I need to wake up and not support them.

It's kind of sad when it's a game you're excited about and want to play. I guess I'm just another entitled PC gamer!
You can support whatever and whoever you want to.

Just b/c I buy (almost) everything and often enjoy playing the patient gamers waiting game here & price-cutting shopping game, doesn't mean you have to.

Even I have a tough time somtimes w/ certain titles, franchises, series, and/or developers (i.e. RPG's, Bioware games, Obsidian titles, wrestling games, some UbiSoft games, etc)...with not following my usual "70-75% off or better or wait for bundles mentality."

If anyone hasn't redeemed their Black Ops 4 cosmetic code from a Humble Monthly a few months back, please let me know!

EDIT: I'm all set now!
Is that what the seperate code was for, just cosmetic stuff? Can I just activate that to add to my game I already have on battle.net or is it linked somehow to the other code for the standard version of the game?

With the shit 2K have been up to and Pitchford being himself, the Epic exclusive nonsense is the tip of the iceberg for me. As much as I loved the other games I am not sure I want to give either party another dime even when it hits Steam. If I can not help myself I might play a used PS4 copy or something.
I'm kind of hoping is shows up on Xbox Game Pass during the 3 years most of us probably have stacked up.
Worked for Metro Exodus.

bread's done
Back