Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
if you gt guild wars through steam do you have to be logged into it to play it still? Was thinking of getting a copy for my niece but dont want to have to have her be logged in to steam to play it
Aside from indie and really old stuff, most games on Steam use Steam DRM, so yeah she probably would.

Aside from indie and really old stuff, most games on Steam use Steam DRM, so yeah she probably would.
thats what i thought but i think i remember hearing some games don't require it. Anyone bought it and know for sure? $10 is about what i wanna pay for it, but like i said i dont want to to have to set up a steam account for her and have her mess with it

thats what i thought but i think i remember hearing some games don't require it. Anyone bought it and know for sure? $10 is about what i wanna pay for it, but like i said i dont want to to have to set up a steam account for her and have her mess with it
Don't buy it on Steam. That price isn't even that good, it has hit that price elsewhere years ago. And when you do buy it, might as well get the Trilogy + EotN all at once. That should keep her busy for a couple years. Most of the content can be solo'd, so no worries about empty servers.

Heck, submit a pricematch to Amazon and get keys from them.

This one slipped under the radar too but Yury was greenlit.
tumblr_inline_mjeo7fNunn1qz4rgp.gif

Thanks for all of this Guild Wars 1 talk.

[reinstalled my retail copies of GW (base-game) + GW: Factions + GW: Nightfall + GW:EotN]

But it has always online DRM
FTFY.

EDIT:

To comment on the DRM comment you made ("But it has DRM") - yeah...it has always online DRM, which sucks.

That's just how it is w/ always-online games and/or MMO's.

So, you either deal w/ it - or you don't.

Doesn't mean that I'll stop complaining about the DRM, though.

youre welcome.

[continues to play too much fucking skyrim]
I don't think there's such a thing as "too much" Skyrim.

Maybe playing too much at once, yes - but dammit, after getting away from it for a bit, in due time, that game does call me back to give it a whirl for another while.

Does anyone recommend Evoland? I'm always tempted when it goes up for sale and it still hasn't been bundled.
It was in a Humble Weekly $6 tier. And I remember the last time I asked about whether it was any good, whoever replied didn't seem to think too highly of it. At this point I'm just waiting for another bundle.

Does anyone recommend Evoland? I'm always tempted when it goes up for sale and it still hasn't been bundled.
What I've heard is it's really amusing up until the last few hours, in which it starts trying really hard to be FFVII instead of just a quirky homage to RPGs in general. Still seems worth it to me, though it's still sitting in my backlog so I can't give any direct feedback on it.

i have never heard anything good about evoland
The first hour is really fun and well-designed.

Unfortunately it kinda needed to stop there, and they padded it out for another couple of hours and it overstays its welcome.

Wonderful concept, overplayed. Wait for a $1 tier bundling.

:nottalking:

Thanks for all of this Guild Wars 1 talk.

[reinstalled my retail copies of GW (base-game) + GW: Factions + GW: Nightfall + GW:EotN]
I'm with you on that. Really tempted to cave on this deal. Would really be nice to play Guild Wars again. I never bought any of the expansions, so that'd be something new to play through. No telling how many hours I dumped into this game back in the day. Bought Guild Wars 2 at launch, and couldn't ever get into it... It just wasn't the same for me.

For those thinking of picking up Guild Wars, just keep in mind it is not the typical MMO.

All PvE areas are instances instead of open worlds. It has a very low level cap compared to other MMOs. This is due to the fact that the game has a very horizontal power structure, versus the endless grinding for levels/gear in other MMOs. You gain skills, which allow you more versatility and power in your build, via the storyline, side quests, defeating certain enemies, or buying them. As you can imagine, the playerbase is somewhat small. Maybe the Steam sale will breath some temporary life into the game. If you do buy it, get the Trilogy and EotN, then create a Nightfall character. The main city in NF is Kamadan, and it is the most frequently populated city these days.

Props to whoever made that EnhancedSteam extension a while back. Pre-ordering NBA 2K15 (full next-gen port finally! happy to pay full price if it runs well with all the features included) and got the marker that there's 20% off on GMG with 1EUYMC-XPDZG8-KOF6WX. Ty sir

MGS Rising for $12 ain't too bad either.

What's with this disclaimer on the Guild Wars: Eye of the North page?

Notice: Guild Wars: Eye of the North requires an existing paid account for Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, or Guild Wars Trilogy.
It's that "requires an existing paid account" part that's confusing me. I thought Guild wars was free to play after the initial purchase. Is that just a poorly worded way of saying that you need to own one of the game/expansion(s) on steam to play the steam version of EotN?

It's that "requires an existing paid account" part that's confusing me. I thought Guild wars was free to play after the initial purchase. Is that just a poorly worded way of saying that you need to own one of the game/expansion(s) on steam to play the steam version of EotN?
Pretty sure that's what it's saying. "Paid account" meaning you're buying an account when you buy those games. Otherwise it would say "paid subscription".

I don't think there's such a thing as "too much" Skyrim.

Maybe playing too much at once, yes - but dammit, after getting away from it for a bit, in due time, that game does call me back to give it a whirl for another while.
I got tired of it after awhile but still played 3-5 hours a week until I accidentally erased my Skyrim save a couple of weeks ago... I've been so bummed out after putting all that time into it that I haven't even bothered to start a new character.

Props to whoever made that EnhancedSteam extension a while back. Pre-ordering NBA 2K15 (full next-gen port finally! happy to pay full price if it runs well with all the features included) and got the marker that there's 20% off on GMG with 1EUYMC-XPDZG8-KOF6WX. Ty sir

MGS Rising for $12 ain't too bad either.
I'm pretty excited for the new features too. I might hold out until the Steam Winter Sale to see if I can get at least 25% off, but I doubt I'm going to want to wait much longer. I love the customizable league feature. The only downside to the next-gen port is that MyPlayer is a scripted storyline, I was kind of hoping that they'd fix that crap this year. That's one mode I'm not going to play until it goes back to the way it was in last-gen.

All of GW1's content is B2P period (buy-to-play).

No additional fees.

Just buy one of the stand-alone games to play whatever content you buy + whenever their servers are up.

Yes, you do need to own one of the stand-alone games before you can do GWEN (Guild Wars: Eye of the North).

Stand-alone GW games = GW (original); GW: Factions (stand-alone expansion); and or GW: NightFall (stand-alone expansion).

That's b/c GWEN is for HIGH-LEVEL char's.

I've never touched GWEN's content b/c...well, I've never finished any of the GW stand-alones.

Hence why I've re-installed everything GW-related today, after all y'all been talking about GW. ;)

Is it just me, or did they change a font on the store pages?

619f9b2ea1.jpg

^That's the client, and it looks the same in-browser (w/ ES).

Is it just me, or did they change a font on the store pages?

619f9b2ea1.jpg

^That's the client, and it looks the same in-browser (w/ ES).
What browser are you using? It looks the same as it usually does in Firefox for me. I'm guessing you're on Chrome?

Welp, I finally just picked up D3:RoS at GameStop ($15). I know I'm not ready for the Smoosh Many Demons time sink, but hooray deals and spontaneous purchases.

Can anyone recommend a fun character class to use on the first play through of D3? #n00b

Welp, I finally just picked up D3:RoS at GameStop ($15). I know I'm not ready for the Smoosh Many Demons time sink, but hooray deals.

Can anyone recommend a fun character class to use on the first play through of D3? #n00b
I only have a Monk and it's a good balance between close range combat and mobility. The monk has decent survivability (via mobility), but from what I gather isn't as tanky as the Barbarian. I'm trying to decide which I want to roll next, a Wizard or a Demon Hunter.

Welp, I finally just picked up D3:RoS at GameStop ($15). I know I'm not ready for the Smoosh Many Demons time sink, but hooray deals and spontaneous purchases.

I've played about every class. I wouldn't do Barbarian seems to get pretty useless in the later levels. I like Crusader as he's pretty good melee and has a good area control skill (hammers). If you build right you can pretty much spam hammers indefinitely. It also seems that the Demon Hunter class is being used quite a bit and a lot of people are stating it is overpowered at the moment. I haven't leveled my Demon Hunter much so I don't have first hand knowledge, but most of those cool l33t players are going demon hunter.

I'll kind of echo the other comments about Demon Hunter. I just installed the game this week for the first time, so I can only go on what I've been reading and my limited play time, but DH seems to be one of the most powerful classes at the moment. The ranged combat makes it pretty good at picking off enemies before they do too much damage. So far I'm enjoying it a lot.

I have a level 70 in every class except Monk. DH is great for clearing a lot of monsters quickly but I have trouble going through Torment 3 even with 1 million+ paper damage. I'm loving my crusader now. Great mix between melee, ranged and mob control.

[quote name="Motiv" post="12071956" timestamp="1410050800"]Welp, I finally just picked up D3:RoS at GameStop ($15). I know I'm not ready for the Smoosh Many Demons time sink, but hooray deals and spontaneous purchases.

Can anyone recommend a fun character class to use on the first play through of D3? #n00b[/quote]

It all depends on how you want to play. And really, classes can be built to suit play styles.

My favorite is crusader. I have 3 popular builds (shotgun, fire starter, and captain america). They fulfill different tastes and all are fun to play. I also really like my witch doctor (I have a jade doc, and a Dr Dolittle - again they accommodate different play styles). My other classes need attention, but I'm just not ready to give it yet.

I recommend you pick the class that seems most interesting and build it according to how you like to play.

Since we're doing Diablo 3 + RoS talk...

I have a Witchdoctor. I've mainly stuck w/ shooting some kinds of darts from distance (burning ones, now - they do massive damage, whereas splinter shoots tons at lower damage); throwing up walls of zombies to slow-down and keep enemies away; having a small-army of monsters that do a lot of my dirty-work when I'm not close; and I also kept sacrificing some of my small-army when I sent them to enemies + re-spawning them when I get kills - all which result in very nice amounts of damage.

It's a vicious cycle.

Thanks for the great feedback guys!

I've been reading up on the different character classes but it's still a tough choice. I figure I'm better off just picking one and giving it a shot rather than procrastinating and waiting. I think I just need to dive in and get some demon blood on my hands. Sorry for the derail but Saturday nights on the Steam thread tend to be slow. Thanks for the help.

Y u not get it for ps4, nub.  Me and Motiv will be playing Destiny while u pc peasants idle your cards.

#PS4MasterRace

I have a Witchdoctor. I've mainly stuck w/ shooting some kinds of darts from distance (burning ones, now - they do massive damage, whereas splinter shoots tons at lower damage); throwing up walls of zombies to slow-down and keep enemies away; having a small-army of monsters that do a lot of my dirty-work when I'm not close; and I also kept sacrificing some of my small-army when I sent them to enemies + re-spawning them when I get kills - all which result in very nice amounts of damage.
I was tossing up Crusader and Witch Doctor for a second build. From your description, WD sounds like it'd be a lot of fun and a very different play experience. I have heard that the Crusader has really become one of the better classes though... decisions.

nub
nəb
noun
1. the crux or central point of a matter.
"the nub of the problem lies elsewhere"
synonyms: crux, central point, main point, core, heart, heart of the matter, nucleus, essence, quintessence, kernel, marrow, meat, pith; More
2. a small lump or protuberance.
"he pressed down on the two nubs on top of the phone"

Y u not get it for ps4, nub. Me and Motiv will be playing Destiny while u pc peasants idle your cards.

#PS4MasterRace
I might care quite a bit more about Destiny, when a PC-version actually gets announced.

Enjoy #FakeyBroing a fortune on consoles + console-games at launch when the servers will get slaughtered w/ an always-online game - while I'll wait for Destiny PC to arrive as I'm likely killing my cheap ever-growing backlog + playing games that are already here on the PC.

BTW, I've spent a little over $30 on D3 + RoS on PC ($10 for D3 during TRU blowout; $20 for RoS recently from BB).

I doubt console versions can be had that cheap for Ultimate Evil Edition.

EDIT:

Also, given that it sounds like Bungie + Activision spent a fortune on Destiny - I think a PC-version is eventually inevitable. They're gonna need to make some of that money back by getting it on every platform. And well, CoD can't do all the work for Acti in selling tons of high-priced copies, you know?

Congratulations fakeybro, you were just owned by MysterD of all people. If that's not a sign that it's time to re-evaluate your life, I don't know what is.

Speaking of leeching off parents, I bought a computer desk today from someone who was selling it to make room for a larger one. Her 13 year old son (which is a big kid, 6 feet tall and kind of hefty, really he should be playing football) is going to go to a multi-monitor setup. She works in tech support to, so she's relatively tech savvy.

So, I ask him what size monitors he is going to be using and he replies "probably 32 inch". His mom says "that's going to take up a lot of wall space". Then she says "I'll probably get him what he wants".  My mom wouldn't let me play with the old C64 with a broken drive I had to fix that no one was using, I had to hide it at the back corner my upper bunk-bed. We got these other kids whose parents are like you need 96 inches of display area? Sure son, what ever you need.

Speaking of leeching off parents, I bought a computer desk today from someone who was selling it to make room for a larger one. Her 13 year old son (which is a big kid, 6 feet tall and kind of hefty, really he should be playing football) is going to go to a multi-monitor setup. She works in tech support to, so she's relatively tech savvy.

So, I ask him what size monitors he is going to be using and he replies "probably 32 inch". His mom says "that's going to take up a lot of wall space". Then she says "I'll probably get him what he wants". My mom wouldn't let me play with the old C64 with a broken drive I had to fix that no one was using, I had to hide it at the back corner my upper bunk-bed. We got these other kids whose parents are like you need 96 inches of display area? Sure son, what ever you need.
back in my days when we wanted to use the computer we had to run to the library which was 5 miles away and an uphill walk both ways! then when we got to the library we had to blow the librarian just for the privilege to even boot the computer up. kids these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back