Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Or maybe they just want money.

Several games still have Securom. A few are poorly made Wii ports with crappy graphics. Tron still has GFWL, for crying out loud.
Securom, seriously? That's still something in existence on games being currently released? I think I still have unopened pc games because I found out they had Securom and refused to open and install them back in the day. Was beyond the return period. Even contacted the developer to thank them for wasting my money. (Space Rangers 2 if I recall correctly.)

I think they're talking about when NewEgg had all those AMD Reward Codes dirt-cheap w/ some kind kind of glitch, that I also missed-out on. :(
"Glitch" is such a powerful concept when it comes to pricing and deals that even when something is priced in a way that is clearly intentional (having a fire sale on something that goes POOF in one week's time), it can earn the title if the deal is wonderful enough. :)

BTW - my name is spelled Derick, like so - with one R, actually; not two.
You must realize, that's EXACTLY the kind of post that gets people spelling your name with three R's.

Northway Games' Deep Under the Sky (they previously published Incredipede) is "Art to Play" meaning you can send them your original fan art or fiction in exchange for Steam and Android versions of the game. More details here.
"Make art about this game for a free copy of the game". Seems more logical to ask for art about any of their games since you'd have a better idea of what would fit if you've played it. Still, a pretty cool idea regardless so I'm not bitchin'.

New Releases

Costume Quest 2- $14.99

Styx: Master of Shadows- $23.99

NBA 2K15- $59.99

Metal Dead- $1.69

Crow- $3.99

Early Access

Warring States Tactics- $6.99

Heart&Slash- $22.49

Looks like Evil Within might be locked at 30 fps on pc.

"Glitch" is such a powerful concept when it comes to pricing and deals that even when something is priced in a way that is clearly intentional (having a fire sale on something that goes POOF in one week's time), it can earn the title if the deal is wonderful enough. :)
Those AMD cards aren't intended for individual sale though so "glitch" would definitely apply there. Not that I'm above exploiting sale glitches by any means.

Those AMD cards aren't intended for individual sale though so "glitch" would definitely apply there. Not that I'm above exploiting sale glitches by any means.
inigo.jpg

I want a peanut.

Okay, still not a glitch, but not for individual resale.

I remember a time when I found a CD of a favorite band's latest album, the day before it released, at Disc Replay and was mystified. I didn't yet understand the significance of the hole-punch/notch.

Even more relevant, CML for bundle keys!

AC: Brotherhood > AC2 > ACIV > AC: Rev

Haven't played: AC1, AC3, AC:Librarian or AC:Freedoms Cry or AC:WhateverElse (I've bought AC1 and AC3 this sale, so we'll see where those stack up..)

It brings a tear to my eye to rate ACIV (Black Flag) over AC:R as the story in ACIV was fairly shite (to use Edward's parlance of the times) and Edward as a character was fairly shite too, but the gameplay was tight and the ship stuff was so well done it kept me going. ACR has all those things that made AC:Brothas good and few new things that kinda detract (Tower Defense minigame kinda sucks yo..Bombs?...meh...) but the story is cool if you like Ezio, which I do...so, try AC2 see where it takes you...
How come nobody ever brings up Bloodlines in these conversations? I mean, aside from the fact that it's a PSP exclusive.

And aside from the fact that it apparently sucks.

That sounds familiar. Maybe not even a glitch but a decent discount.

Hal's taking a bullet isn't nearly enough though. Can we throw some at the ones who stocked up?

As much as I loved Borderlands 2, the DLC pricing and spacing out over time really dissuaded me from pre-ordering this one. I'll wait until I can get a CAG price for all or nearly all of the content at the same time, especially since I was fine playing most of 2's story solo.
After thinking about it more I'm not sure if there was a glitch on the season pass or if it was just on the 4 packs of the game. Maybe they just had a good sale on it? I remember buying the season pass from GG which would suggest to me that it was glitched :)

I really enjoyed BL2 and put a lot of hours into it. That said, I think I'm fine waiting for the inevitable first bundling of the dlc before I buy this time.

Fezzik: Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned by acid, or something like that?

Man in Black: Oh no, it's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

I remember a time when I found a CD of a favorite band's latest album, the day before it released, at Disc Replay and was mystified. I didn't yet understand the significance of the hole-punch/notch.
Hole punch? In a CD? Wouldn't that ruin the disc?

Learning that Waggles isn't my BFF is what hurts most of all. :cry:
I was actually in the thread when the glitch was announced, but was stuck behind work firewall and unable to jump in on it, so he hooked me up.

What's up with people going nuts over Disney games on Steam? The discount is merely 10% and the 20 games are not super stellar to begin with.. unless I've missed something?
The same reason morons spend 2 months salary on a gemstone that was pretty much worthless 100 years ago.

Marketing

How come nobody ever brings up Bloodlines in these conversations? I mean, aside from the fact that it's a PSP exclusive.

And aside from the fact that it apparently sucks.
Probably b/c most of us ain't played it - b/c it's a PSP exclusive.

Hell, even AC Lib got a PC version, for crying out loud.

Am I the only one who preferred AC3 over ACR here?

While I dug ACR's story, I hated the new mission types (the Portal-like block puzzles in 1st person sucked from Gold, and the new tower defense missions were horrible). This gave me practically little to no reason to do any of the side-missions. It didn't even feel like much had changed from ACB over to ACR, either.

At least AC3 took me to Boston in the Colonial Period; and I could now even also climb + navigate trees. While I dug the main missions - I thought the hunting was cool. Though, "bleh" @ how poor Connor's character was + the absolute ridiculousness of Connor being ad having a hand in almost every important battle + moment during the forming of our country.

I still think AC2 + ACB were the best of the AC games, IMHO.
Still, take into consideration - I ain't played AC4 yet.
I enjoyed AC3 much more than AC:R. I guess AC3 is one of those "cool to hate" games that people shit on for no legitimate reason. The different setting felt nice with the outdoor parkour mechanics, the naval battles were a decent addition, and the story and characters resonated better than: whiny assassin's plans to get laid get interrupted by those meddling templars.

Hole punch? In a CD? Wouldn't that ruin the disc?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut-out_(recording_industry)

I know a lot of the independent record stores in Chicago I frequented pre-iTunes-era sold the promos at the same price as used CDs, which is kinda shitty, but glass stones and whatnot.

I was actually in the thread when the glitch was announced, but was stuck behind work firewall and unable to jump in on it, so he hooked me up.

The same reason morons spend 2 months salary on a gemstone that was pretty much worthless 100 years ago.

Marketing
Also it makes all kinda sense for Valve to have this kind of family-friendly content available. Fits in with the Big Picture, audio library strategy.

I enjoyed AC3 much more than AC:R. I guess AC3 is one of those "cool to hate" games that people shit on for no legitimate reason. The different setting felt nice with the outdoor parkour mechanics, the naval battles were a decent addition, and the story and characters resonated better than: whiny assassin's plans to get laid get interrupted by those meddling templars.
Oh, to add to what I said earlier - yes, the naval battles were a blast! Loved those! I had more fun w/ the gameplay-stuff in AC3 over ACR...

...though I certainly preferred the story + character stuff that ACR had going on.

Interesting. I don't remember seeing that sort of thing here.
... wait, you were serious about that? I thought you were just messing with me. Sometimes the discs or front covers are stamped with a "This is a promotional CD" message, too. My first CD purchases from eBay like ten years ago were promo items, I didn't know what they were at the time either.

This is also done with video games and movies. I've bought games and movies with slashed or punctured UPC codes, and I once sold a sealed copy of Final Fantasy VII which had a hole drilled through a corner. I now double check every music CD or DVD that I buy because it's a pain to find replacement inserts.

A local pharmacy (Rite-Aid) loves to sell these promo discs as new items for some reason. They put a sticker over the UPC but you can tell it's been tampered with. Sometimes these also show up at dollar stores.

... wait, you were serious about that? I thought you were just messing with me. Sometimes the discs or front covers are stamped with a "This is a promotional CD" message, too. My first CD purchases from eBay like ten years ago were promo items, I didn't know what they were at the time either.

This is also done with video games and movies. I've bought games and movies with slashed or punctured UPC codes, and I once sold a sealed copy of Final Fantasy VII which had a hole drilled through a corner. I now double check every music CD or DVD that I buy because it's a pain to find replacement inserts.

A local pharmacy (Rite-Aid) loves to sell these promo discs as new items for some dumb reason.
I didn't realize those were promo discs. I thought they were overstock. Like putting the black pen across the UPC of a book or on the edge of the pages: the publisher lets them go for a fraction of the cost, but expects retailers to sell for less than cover price.

The promo/review/advance copies I've seen are usually labeled as such.

I didn't realize those were promo discs. I thought they were overstock. Like putting the black pen across the UPC of a book or on the edge of the pages: the publisher lets them go for a fraction of the cost, but expects retailers to sell for less than cover price.

They are the result of overstock. Stores get a pull list of stuff that has sat around forever and hasn't sold. They pull and send them back to the supplier. Supplier slashes upc, case, insert, etc, sends back out to other retailers at reduced costs with the understanding that it can't be returned even if it doesn't sell.

Edit for clarity

There are different scenarios in terms of clearance items and such. You could see some salvage stuff, or some clearance or what not, but generally speaking in terms of cutouts, the implications are that there are no royalties paid if it is a promo. So, if it's a promo CD (or even a vinyl, I have plenty of promo records), the artist was not compensated for that. It's not supposed to be sold at all in that case from what I understand. The promo cutouts tend to be better done though, and the clearance cutouts tend to be a little more careless from what I've seen.

I wouldn't know the specifics of all of them, for instance I know there's the rule about tearing the cover off unsold paperbacks, and destroying them for instance, but there are plenty of instances in which something is legitimately sold after having the label marked through or what not.

Promo stuff has weird collectibility though. Depending on what it is, a promo record or CD can be in demand, but not necessarily. I don't think the promo cutouts is a thing with video games (so a cutout is probably a bad sign), for instance I have a promo Final Fantasy game which is clearly marked as such, no cutouts or what not, but then again I don't come across a lot of promo video games either unfortunately.

Edit: sweeetja713 is pretty much on point in that any form of a cutout or what, has in the very least the intention of preventing any sort of returned stock, if not preventing sale entirely. Also, something with a cutout is not necessarily considered new.

In my experience, they're both.
Very much can be. In bigger chains, the punched stuff you'll see tends to be from overstock. Resell shops it tends to be a mix of both. I know back in the day, way back, it was a Wednesday as a matter of fact, some of Big Lots movies and cds used to come in this manner. I don't know if any of this still applies to them but it used to be a fairly common practice in close out stores.

I didn't realize how much the price has fallen on my card.

Thinking about picking up a 2nd one for Crossfire. $266 looks like an all time low.

....think I even have a 2nd H20 block that would fit this card too. **bonus**

20673202_539539956_o.jpg

I just checked Tom's Hardware... and a 7990 is only nipping at the heels of a TitanZ.    ...that performance for $266?  hmmmmm.

Italian? I'll just take your word for it.
Well I learned and got the link from other sites where it's being talked about.

I'm not gonna doubt this at all. They did decide to port Final Fantasy XIII out of the blue.

Anything is possible at this point.

R9 280, ASUS brand. It had good reviews and low number of people reporting problem, I think I just got unlucky. We had such a nice 35 days together. *sniff*
~66.67% of the ASUS graphics cards that I've owned arrived with (or developed) faulty memory and started artifacting.

Those failures also represent 50% of all AMD-based cards, 40% of all desktop cards, and 100% of the HD4870s that I've owned. Oh, and 50% of the AMD-based cards that I've experienced driver issues with.

Would still have bought an ASUS 7900-series card if the Gigabyte one wasn't $50 cheaper for the OC version from a better retailer, and would still buy another AMD card if Nvidia doesn't fix the ridiculous markup their cards have here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back