Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
The chances of that happening are about the same as you not commenting on my posts and not attempting to troll me...
...which is basically NEVER.

If I did change, you'd basically run out of material and schtick.
i don't know why you think I troll you. You're too sensitive derick

Do a search for "if only". See how many times you come up. In just pointing out facts, friend.

Well since I spent much less than I originally intended, I went ahead and increased my payment amount for the Zen Humble Bundle from a month ago. 9 Tables for 5 bucks is pretty sweet. Beats the heck out of the "sale" from zen during the winter sale that's for sure.

I think the most disappointing thing about the "Encore Sales" is going around to various websites, looking up "Hidden Gems" threads, and basically seeing that the thread is a list that looks like someone sorted the sale data by price and then shat that out into a text field. 
No commentary, no mention of why these games are "hidden gems".

They're about as useful as the game reviews on Steam.

I think the most disappointing thing about the "Encore Sales" is going around to various websites, looking up "Hidden Gems" threads, and basically seeing that the thread is a list that looks like someone sorted the sale data by price and then shat that out into a text field.
But... Overcast - Walden and the Werewolf is 98% off! HIDDEN GEM!!

Just ate my fortune cookie. Thought the fortune was CAG appropriate.  

dniMDL3.jpg

Which is why this sale was comparatively depressing for me.  Already have have, need more get.

Then there's the curated lists that label decent games at 50% off (some of which have been previously bundled) as hidden gems.

Because they aren't. Almost everything with a deep discount is bundle fodder or bottom of the barrel scraping weekly deal junk. And they generally have been cheap many, many times.

Just skimming the list of the cheap stuff I honestly didn't find much that I can personally vouch for the quality. And mind you like many here I collect games and haven't played a majority of what I own so that's part of it too.

The one that really stuck out at me while browsing the deep discount stuff as something I can actually say is a fun, quality game was Faerie Solitaire at 49 cents, but [customspoiler=who doesn't have that yet?]
I9WH1kW.png
[/customspoiler]

I saw one of those hidden deals threads and it had Day One: Garry's Incident on it.  I can only conclude they are trolling people with garbage to go with the gems.

2014 Winter Sale Haul: Rise of Nations.  That's it.

If this was a previous year, I would be pleased with my self-restraint and eagerly anticipating blowing my leftovers on another sweet Amazon Editor's Choice event Sims 3 expansions and mildly discounted Bioware Points.

OMG HIDDEN DEALZZZZZZZ!  Those threads/compilations are, as mentioned, a copy paste of the Steamdb sorted by discount level.  And most of the games are bundle fodder.

Part of it is that it used to be that much of the non-AAA or featured indie stuff would just be 75% off for the duration of the winter sale, but that's not the case anymore. Even indies and small publishers are doing lesser or even no sales in many cases.

Also the constant Steam weekly sales, ridiculously amount of bundles these days coupled of with influx of crap indie junk from Greenlight and shovelware 'classic' games from publisher back catalogs has really lessened the whole 'hidden gem' thing from past years.

As it stands, most of the stuff deeply discounted is the stuff that's always deeply discounted. And a lot of the (admittedly subjective) quality stuff isn't.

The closest thing to a 'hidden gem' sale this year was the gem auction. There were some hidden gems there where you could get some decent but relatively obscure games that rarely or never go on a deep sale and haven't been bundled cheap. But you had to dig for those and it wasn't in anyone's best interest to announce them either because that would just get more people bidding against you and drive the price up.

Here's my likely final haul unless I break will on Transistor:

Banished
RUSE
Sniper Elite v2
Shadow Warrior
Dynasty Warriors 8 
Mortal Kombat 8

Cursed Crusade
Overcast
Shadowrun Returns
South Park Stick of Truth
Banished

Freebies I got:
Kerbal
The Bureau
Eschalon - Book II
Nosferatu
Huntsman
Insurgency

For all of us too paranoid to trust Valve with our Social Security numbers, the 200 card sales per year cap has been reset.

It's twelve o'clock somewhere.

Dump dump dump before the sale gets any worse.

Aw ... I don't think I bought anything ... must be getting old ... or distracted. Fingers crossed at Wasteland 2 for 75% off sometime before the next Holiday Sale.

Has anyone played The Forest or The Long Dark? Both seem pretty interesting. Trying to decide what to spend my Gaben bucks on
I have The Long Dark, if you like survival type games its not bad, but they still have a ways to go. It has some cool ideas and I am looking forward to the campaign they will release. For now there is only sandbox mode and I believe they just released a new map which I have not played yet.

The first map was relativity small and it was really tough to stay alive, always on the hunt for food and water and avoiding wolves. I haven't played for about 3 months but when I did play I felt I was just trying to stay alive with no real objective. If you like those kind of survival games it's probably for you but I would probably wait until at least the single player campaign is out.

Has anyone played The Forest or The Long Dark? Both seem pretty interesting. Trying to decide what to spend my Gaben bucks on
I actually just picked up The Long Dark from Amazon because I had some credit to spend. Even though it's Early Access it looks good right now and I rarely throw money at games in the TBD state. Plus I was getting extremely antsy and wanted to buy something that I've had my eye on for a while. I might even try it out right now. Probably not the answer you were looking for, my apologies.

I made the mistake of stocking up on TF2 keys and Amazon credit for this Holiday sale, NEVER AGAIN!!

Edit: Skip my ramblings and read Honeybaked Ham's thoughts ^^^

Hey, have you - or anyone else here, for that matter - actually played this yet?

I'm curious...if it's actually decent.
I played both Saw games on PS3. I liked them, closest analogy I can come up with is that they're kind of "Silent Hill Lite" and expand on the Saw mythology.

For all of us too paranoid to trust Valve with our Social Security numbers, the 200 card sales per year cap has been reset.

It's twelve o'clock somewhere.

Dump dump dump before the sale gets any worse.
Heh, I just finished dumping some stuff this afternoon to get to 200. It's actually what had me looking for hidden gems- it's a lot easier to bet on games of "questionable" quality when it's on the house's money.

This sale was pretty good. I decided to pick up a twelve pack of Snowdrift Vanilla Porter on sale. It wasn't 75% off, but I'm going to move it to the front of the backlog and play right away. I don't need 12, but it was cheaper to go that route and, fortunately, I can eventually redeem them all to my account. Also, I think the gem auction keeps getting overlooked as A: an event and B: a source of some solid deals.

My favorite (well only seen too) was on the Steam forums. It was supposed to be a list of only good games, yet listed a ton of crap games.

Luckily GEARCRACK Arena was so cheap I was able to figure out it was just a list of stuff on sale within a few seconds.

This sale was pretty good. I decided to pick up a twelve pack of Snowdrift Vanilla Porter on sale. It wasn't 75% off, but I'm going to move it to the front of the backlog and play right away. I don't need 12, but it was cheaper to go that route and, fortunately, I can eventually redeem them all to my account. Also, I think the gem auction keeps getting overlooked as A: an event and B: a source of some solid deals.
It would be pretty embarrassing if somebody switched tabs and actually searched for that in steam. I didn't do that. I promise.

Thanks for the sacrifice. We all look forward to the Humble Freakyass Gross Tasting Beer Bundle.

The gem auction did have some great deals.  A few Early Access titles I could have snapped up for the equivalent of 70% off or more but I didn't want to risk losing and being stuck with a pile of worthless e-gems you can only craft into borderline worthless cards.

Non-featured deals that I purchased mainly because I have a lot of card money, but I guess could pass for hidden gems (apparent historical lows, haven't been bundled outside of Monster's Humble Flash BTA, weren't appreciably less with the gem auction, etc.):

Dyad 1.49 (90%)

Hexcells Infinite 2.49 (50%, complete pack is a good deal at 3.59/60% if you don't own any although all of the mechanics from the first two are included in Infinite)

Platformines 2.49 (75%)

Monster Loves You! 2.49 (75%)

So I feel like giving away some extra copies of bundle games I've got.  No code drop though, I'm gonna post the games and will PM the Steam keys/gift links to those who post which one they want.  One game or DLC per person please.

*All games have been given out*

So I feel like giving away some extra copies of bundle games I've got. No code drop though, I'm gonna post the games and will PM the Steam keys/gift links to those who post which one they want. One game or DLC per person please.

99 Spirits

A Valley Without Wind 1 and 2

AI War + 4 DLC packs & Tidalis

AI War: Vengeance

Always Sometimes Monsters

Ballpoint Universe - Infinite

Bionic Heart

BioShock

Danmaku Unlimited 2

Deadlight

Ether Vapor Remaster

Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin

Hitman: Codename 47

Insurgency

Major Mayhem

QUALIA 3: Multi Agent

Shattered Heaven

The Darkness II

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Complete Pack

Vanguard Princess

War of the Human Tanks
Happy New Year BMX Jouster.

I've been meaning to play some bullet hell: Danmaku Unlimited 2

Thank you Mate.

So I feel like giving away some extra copies of bundle games I've got. No code drop though, I'm gonna post the games and will PM the Steam keys/gift links to those who post which one they want. One game or DLC per person please.

99 Spirits

Bionic Heart

BioShock

Danmaku Unlimited 2

Deadlight

Ether Vapor Remaster

Hitman: Codename 47

Insurgency

Major Mayhem

QUALIA 3: Multi Agent

Shattered Heaven

The Darkness II

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Complete Pack

Vanguard Princess

War of the Human Tanks
I'd be grateful for The Darkness II. Thanks for the awesome drop!

99 Spirits

Bionic Heart

BioShock

Deadlight

Ether Vapor Remaster