Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Collector's Set (PS3 & 360) - $149.99 - Avail. 9/18

roymustang

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Amazon: (thanks to Vendetta for the links)
PS3 Version
360 Version

Capcom store:
PS3 Version
360 Version

2c2594b8fb68621b0934e72f70686a4b.jpg

From Capcom's website:

Games
-Street Fighter X Tekken (including all character and Swap Costume DLC)
-Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (with all costume DLC)
-Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
-Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition
Video
-New documentary Blu-ray that highlights the lifelong love affair fans have had with Street Fighter, and how their dedication has affected the game.
-Street Fighter IV, Super SFIV anime movies
-All episodes of the Street Fighter animated series (DELICIOUS!)
-Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie
Light-up Ryu statue
-Brand new statue with light up base. Eight inches tall and frozen in mid Shoryuken.
11 disc soundtrack
-Game music from the past 25 years, including remixes and fan-created music.
64 page hardcover art book
-Containing pieces from fans all over the world.
Ryu's belt
-Full size martial arts black belt for the aspiring World Warrior. Includes Ryu's "Furinkazan" in kanji.
Certificate of Authenticity
-Like any good collector's set, this comes with a lovely piece of paper telling you how limited and special it is. They're all individually numbered, so get one before they disappear! Arrives on September 18.

*UPDATE*
The PS3 version will be getting all 3 Alpha games as PSOne Classics and Alpha 3 MAX on PSP (digital download presumably).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JKSonic']Look, I don't see any amount of convincing will change how I feel about Capcom and how they treat their fans...especially long time fans like me. While I respect your post (especially since you weren't a douche), I will say this though, most of the older SF games (or SF related games) are very primitive by today's standards. Look at some of the indie games that are out there and it's not hard to imagine porting most of these games would bey pretty easy with a relatively small dev team. I'm not looking for incremental updates, but even so this collection is still missing a lot (especially if you have a 360). With today's technology and programing prowess what exactly would eat up resources? You could probably assign a group of college interns to program the older games...

It's just sad that this is a $150 collection and it's still so far from being what I'd expect. I guess one of the issues I have with it is how they've rereleased so many SF games already, and numerous times at that. So no, not many other franchises get anything close to a definitive collection either, but most other franchises haven't had so many rereleases.[/QUOTE]

I understand your point of view, but compare this to all the (original MSRP) $100-$150 collector's editions from this gen and this blows all of them out of the water, no questions asked.

I'm an OG Capcom fan as you are, but I just want stuff that will play with my current system and accessories. The PS2 disc can't offer that and while the XBox 1 version can, it no longer has online capability. As long as Capcom doesn't pull a Konami (Silent Hill) then I'm perfectly happy with the HD ports of MvC 2, SSF2THDR, & 3rd Strike. Hopefully the upcoming Marvel Origins digital set is just as good a port.

I already have the two downloadable games but I can give those away or sell them. I don't have the SF4 costumes and I can sell my SSF IV disk and delete the Arcade DLC to save a GB on my HDD. I don't own SF x TK and I get all the costumes and characters for it. I'm mainly buying this for the 2-disc Blu-Ray and 11-disc soundtrack.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JKSonic']Look, I don't see any amount of convincing will change how I feel about Capcom and how they treat their fans...especially long time fans like me. While I respect your post (especially since you weren't a douche), I will say this though, most of the older SF games (or SF related games) are very primitive by today's standards. Look at some of the indie games that are out there and it's not hard to imagine porting most of these games would bey pretty easy with a relatively small dev team. I'm not looking for incremental updates, but even so this collection is still missing a lot (especially if you have a 360). With today's technology and programing prowess what exactly would eat up resources? You could probably assign a group of college interns to program the older games...

It's just sad that this is a $150 collection and it's still so far from being what I'd expect. I guess one of the issues I have with it is how they've rereleased so many SF games already, and numerous times at that. So no, not many other franchises get anything close to a definitive collection either, but most other franchises haven't had so many rereleases.[/QUOTE]

Porting/emulating old games from old arcade hardware is more difficult than you think it is. Go read about the development of HD Remix.

[quote name='adamical']Porting/emulating old games from old arcade hardware is more difficult than you think it is. Go read about the development of HD Remix.[/QUOTE]

SHOULD it be though?... Encountering problems and actually being hard are two different things. Like I said look at a lot of these indie games nowadays that are made by only a few people, and those are from scratch. I remember a lot of issues with the HD remix and I honestly never understood it.

[quote name='JKSonic']SHOULD it be though?... Encountering problems and actually being hard are two different things. Like I said look at a lot of these indie games nowadays that are made by only a few people, and those are from scratch. I remember a lot of issues with the HD remix and I honestly never understood it.[/QUOTE]

It's not hard, but it does take some time and cost money which is the real issue.

not available for preorder at gamestop? only amazon and capcom store in OP of this thread, but i swore the collector's edition thread listed gamestop.

[quote name='JKSonic']I remember a lot of issues with the HD remix and I honestly never understood it.[/QUOTE]

The difficulty with HD Remix was that they were injecting new content directly into legacy code that was never designed to support it. And Backbone isn't exactly the best developer, either.

[quote name='frpilot']not available for preorder at gamestop? only amazon and capcom store in OP of this thread, but i swore the collector's edition thread listed gamestop.[/QUOTE]

It's available at GS unless it was just removed today. That's where I have my copy preordered at. It's just GS didn't list the CE in their system until after this thread was created.

[quote name='screwkick']Hey Capcom...instead of 10 audio discs, how about putting the actual games in the set?[/QUOTE]

Did you not read any of the discussion? Too hard & costs too much to port that stuff to 360 code. Only reason PS3 is getting the old Alpha games is that PS1 code already exists in Sony's download store and is compatible on PS3. Only old SF XBox 1 game is the Anniversary game, which you're getting newer, HD versions of those games.

Some of us really want this CE for the soundtracks and Blu-Ray videos. The games/DLC are icing on the cake.

^ I think you are correct. Too many retailers are selling this and there is too little interest for it to go out of stock at $149.99. If it doesn't sell well (which it appears not to be doing) it will drop in price fast.

I cancelled mine about a month ago. The digital versions of everything was the deal breaker, especially this late into this console gen.

[quote name='GBAstar']^ I think you are correct. Too many retailers are selling this and there is too little interest for it to go out of stock at $149.99. If it doesn't sell well (which it appears not to be doing) it will drop in price fast.[/QUOTE]

Who's selling this outside of Capcom, Amazon, and Gamestop? Maybe the 360 version will be available later, but I'll bet the PS3 version will be like the original SF 4 CE on PS3 that was sold out at launch and everyone looking for it.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Who's selling this outside of Capcom, Amazon, and Gamestop? Maybe the 360 version will be available later, but I'll bet the PS3 version will be like the original SF 4 CE on PS3 that was sold out at launch and everyone looking for it.[/QUOTE]

capcom, amazon, gamestop, best buy, newegg, buy, frys, walmart, kmart, heck even deep discount has it. Its still available at all of those stores right now.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Who's selling this outside of Capcom, Amazon, and Gamestop? Maybe the 360 version will be available later, but I'll bet the PS3 version will be like the original SF 4 CE on PS3 that was sold out at launch and everyone looking for it.[/QUOTE]

I think it's too early to say either way but when SF4 was released, it was a highly anticipated game and back then, people probably felt most CEs were going to be rare eventually. This set doesn't have these same advantages.

[quote name='kyo645']capcom, amazon, gamestop, best buy, newegg, buy, frys, walmart, kmart, heck even deep discount has it. Its still available at all of those stores right now.[/QUOTE]

In fairness though, I believe Gamestop and probably Fry's are the only brick and mortar stores carrying the game. Everyone else is on-line only on this one.

[quote name='Vinny']I think it's too early to say either way but when SF4 was released, it was a highly anticipated game and back then, people probably felt most CEs were going to be rare eventually. This set doesn't have these same advantages.[/QUOTE]

Yep. This CE won't be worth much because its just a bunch of download codes aside from the two recent games, and it isn't even remotely limited. The soundtracks are the only part that will keep the sets value around $100.

[quote name='bojay1997']In fairness though, I believe Gamestop and probably Fry's are the only brick and mortar stores carrying the game. Everyone else is on-line only on this one.[/QUOTE]

None of the online stores have sold out though. I can't think of a single game that was worth resale money at release that was still in stock at walmart.com. With it still being in stock at at least half a dozen stores (most likely more) the only reason to buy at launch is if you really really want it.

I cancelled mine recently. Already owned most of the Street Fighter games on Xbox and only wanted the soundtracks. Also, I sense this going down in price for Black Friday. If its not sold out by now at all retailers, than Capcom shot themselves in the foot, overproducing this

In addition to the 3 Alpha PS One Classics and Alpha 3 max, the PS3 version will also get all DLC for Third Strike and 175 Street Fighter themed PSN Avatars.

I personally can't wait for this!

As I was cancelling my pre-order the cashier says, "You sure you wanna do this? These are goin' for $400 on ebay."

He either needs to stop listening to hear-say from anonymous walk-ins, or needs to learn that asking prices =/= sale prices.

I have mine for $15 off at newegg, and I'm really torn on it. I do NOT want to miss out on this/have ot pay more for it down the line, but it kind of seems like this 'may' end up cheaper at some point.

Canceled mine as well. It's a bit too much for what physically comes with the box. Would be interesting to know what the limited numbers are.

[quote name='storino03']Canceled mine as well. It's a bit too much for what physically comes with the box. Would be interesting to know what the limited numbers are.[/QUOTE]

^ If it was limited at all it would be sold out somewhere... and at this point I can't find a single retailer that has stopped taking preorders.

To put it into perspective on Capcom's twitter account there is a blurb about the Street Fighter Chess set being a "hot seller".

Well they produced 5,000 of those and still have over 4,300 left.

I believe Capcom is a little out of touch with reality.

Cancelled mine too. If it was physical media I would be all over it. But a bunch of codes and two games I already got? Would def pay about 80 for that soundtrack.

[quote name='kyo645']capcom, amazon, gamestop, best buy, newegg, buy, frys, walmart, kmart, heck even deep discount has it. Its still available at all of those stores right now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for answering my question, but Deep Discount I wouldn't touch w/a 10-foot pole, Fry's doesn't exist in the Midwest (minus Indy) or East Coast, and buy.com isn't trustworthy either IMO. I imagine BB, WM, and KMart will have it be an online-only item, but I could be wrong about BB.

If KMart actually carries it in-store, just watch it like a hawk and see if it drops, but remember how hard it was for Josh to get KMart to drop the price on CE's, and that's when KMart gave a damn about games. My local WM still has Uncharted 3 CE for $100, and JUST NOW in the last 2 months dropped the MK 9 CE to the low, low price of $60, when you can have the complete edition for $40. Your only bet to get this cheap at retail is to find a BB/GS that gets an extra and watch it weekly to see if it remains in stock and wait for a MSRP drop that will surely bring this thread back up and make me look like an idiot.

I just don't see Capcom overproducing this set like the Halo 3/Reach Legendary's, Gears 3 Epic, KZ 3 Helgast, Skyrim CE, etc. I still remember people selling the $150 TE sticks for $300 plus when it came out b/c MadCatz couldn't produce enough. Yes that was a different time, but I just think this is going to be harder to find than others are thinking, at least at brick and mortar.

If BB carries it, I might be wrong but I haven't seen any MP 3 CE in any local STL BB's even before the price drop, and I got the only SW: TOR CE in STL BB on the day it dropped to $20. The stories I read in that thread about pallets of the SW CE being at their local BB just don't exist in STL. Hell all of our stores minus 1 are sold out of Witcher 2 b/c of it's $30 off coupon. Also all of our stores sold out in less than 12 hours of NFS: The Run when it was $5. If you don't get a BB deal day 1 or within the first 12 hours in STL, then you missed your shot.

I can understand being frugal as while I own many of the mass produced CE of this gen I didn't pay full price for the mass produced ones (only ones I did pay full retail were ME 1-3 CE, AC 2/3 CE, and Alan Wake [granted paid mostly w/TIC at Gamestop outside of the online only ME 1 CE] with my only regrets being the AC CE's) but for once Capcom has produced something that is truly worthy of the title CE and is a HELL of a lot better value than the sold out nationwide $150 CE of Borderlands 2, which is an absolute joke.

That thing is just as overpriced as any of the mass produced CE and it's almost nothing but DIGITAL items (ooh an artbook, bobblehead, and Steelbook tin but not even a soundtrack?!) but that's ok b/c it's Gearbox but Capcom includes a ton of DLC that isn't on the disks and it's got everyone upset and saying they're not going to buy it until it hits the bargain bin. Yes I would rather have the SF 4/SF x Tekken stuff be on disk and get a disk for SSF2THDR/SF 3 TS but that's not going to make or break the collection for me. Myself and many long-time fans are buying this mainly for the soundtracks/animes included. The games/Ryu statue/belt are just icing on the cake.

Capcom deserves flack for a lot of stuff, hell I've chewed them a new one many a time on Checkmate Arcade, but for once they've done something right and people don't want to give them credit b/c it's Capcom. Just like John Cena tonight gave one of the best promos he's ever done with a crowd that hated him and with knowing Hall of Fame wrestler/announcer Jerry Lawler suffered a heart attack mid-show and was fighting for his life in a Montreal hospital but still hit it out of the park and people will still hate Cena b/c he's Cena.

If this actually hits $60 at retail pull this thread back up and I'll eat crow, but I just don't think it's going to happen. While fighting games are legit back, they don't sell like the bro games outside of NYC and California. My local GS wasn't doing a midnight launch tonight for TTT 2, it was for the 100 plus preorders they had for NHL 13, with the manager defying his DM by having it b/c he's a Blues season ticket holder and he wanted to enjoy being around fellow hockey fans at a time when hockey may have finally dug its own grave (2nd lockout in less than 5 years incoming.)

[quote name='MSUHitman']Thanks for answering my question, but Deep Discount I wouldn't touch w/a 10-foot pole, Fry's doesn't exist in the Midwest (minus Indy) or East Coast, and buy.com isn't trustworthy either IMO. I imagine BB, WM, and KMart will have it be an online-only item, but I could be wrong about BB.

If KMart actually carries it in-store, just watch it like a hawk and see if it drops, but remember how hard it was for Josh to get KMart to drop the price on CE's, and that's when KMart gave a damn about games. My local WM still has Uncharted 3 CE for $100, and JUST NOW in the last 2 months dropped the MK 9 CE to the low, low price of $60, when you can have the complete edition for $40. Your only bet to get this cheap at retail is to find a BB/GS that gets an extra and watch it weekly to see if it remains in stock and wait for a MSRP drop that will surely bring this thread back up and make me look like an idiot.

I just don't see Capcom overproducing this set like the Halo 3/Reach Legendary's, Gears 3 Epic, KZ 3 Helgast, Skyrim CE, etc. I still remember people selling the $150 TE sticks for $300 plus when it came out b/c MadCatz couldn't produce enough. Yes that was a different time, but I just think this is going to be harder to find than others are thinking, at least at brick and mortar.

If BB carries it, I might be wrong but I haven't seen any MP 3 CE in any local STL BB's even before the price drop, and I got the only SW: TOR CE in STL BB on the day it dropped to $20. The stories I read in that thread about pallets of the SW CE being at their local BB just don't exist in STL. Hell all of our stores minus 1 are sold out of Witcher 2 b/c of it's $30 off coupon. Also all of our stores sold out in less than 12 hours of NFS: The Run when it was $5. If you don't get a BB deal day 1 or within the first 12 hours in STL, then you missed your shot.

I can understand being frugal as while I own many of the mass produced CE of this gen I didn't pay full price for the mass produced ones (only ones I did pay full retail were ME 1-3 CE, AC 2/3 CE, and Alan Wake [granted paid mostly w/TIC at Gamestop outside of the online only ME 1 CE] with my only regrets being the AC CE's) but for once Capcom has produced something that is truly worthy of the title CE and is a HELL of a lot better value than the sold out nationwide $150 CE of Borderlands 2, which is an absolute joke.

That thing is just as overpriced as any of the mass produced CE and it's almost nothing but DIGITAL items (ooh an artbook, bobblehead, and Steelbook tin but not even a soundtrack?!) but that's ok b/c it's Gearbox but Capcom includes a ton of DLC that isn't on the disks and it's got everyone upset and saying they're not going to buy it until it hits the bargain bin. Yes I would rather have the SF 4/SF x Tekken stuff be on disk and get a disk for SSF2THDR/SF 3 TS but that's not going to make or break the collection for me. Myself and many long-time fans are buying this mainly for the soundtracks/animes included. The games/Ryu statue/belt are just icing on the cake.

Capcom deserves flack for a lot of stuff, hell I've chewed them a new one many a time on Checkmate Arcade, but for once they've done something right and people don't want to give them credit b/c it's Capcom. Just like John Cena tonight gave one of the best promos he's ever done with a crowd that hated him and with knowing Hall of Fame wrestler/announcer Jerry Lawler suffered a heart attack mid-show and was fighting for his life in a Montreal hospital but still hit it out of the park and people will still hate Cena b/c he's Cena.

If this actually hits $60 at retail pull this thread back up and I'll eat crow, but I just don't think it's going to happen. While fighting games are legit back, they don't sell like the bro games outside of NYC and California. My local GS wasn't doing a midnight launch tonight for TTT 2, it was for the 100 plus preorders they had for NHL 13, with the manager defying his DM by having it b/c he's a Blues season ticket holder and he wanted to enjoy being around fellow hockey fans at a time when hockey may have finally dug its own grave (2nd lockout in less than 5 years incoming.)[/QUOTE]

^ This is being sold in the Capcom store. Almost everything that is sold in the Capcom store hits a clearance. Just see the $29.99 MvC3 SE or the $49.99 Dead Rising 2 High Stakes Edition. And just because a retailer may not carry it in-store doesn't mean they are going to be willing to give up valuable warehouse space just to keep it at MSRP for two years.

If this is as limited as you think it is then it should have sold out prior to release. I'm still trying to find a single site that has stopped taking preorders.

I'm not saying it's a bad purchase or a bad CE but I don't think it is going to sell out prior to release or soon thereafter.

Well when it drops to $60 or below I'll eat crow. I'm just upset this didn't sell out while the vastly inferior Borderlands 2 $150 UE sold out within a week or two of its announcement when it's major flaw is the same thing that people are hating about this CE but it's ok for one b/c it's a Gearbox game but it's not ok with a Capcom series.

I bet Nintendo fans would love if Nintendo did something like this for Mario or Kirby, or hell anything with Zelda.

And to show I'm not a Capcom fanboy, Capcom not bringing out the 25th Anniversary Mega Man music set boxed in an E-Tank tin in the West and leaving it Japan only is crap IMO, but like Colin Moriarity of IGN, I think it's them trying to bury anything related to Kenji Inafune.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Well when it drops to $60 or below I'll eat crow. I'm just upset this didn't sell out while the vastly inferior Borderlands 2 $150 UE sold out within a week or two of its announcement when it's major flaw is the same thing that people are hating about this CE but it's ok for one b/c it's a Gearbox game but it's not ok with a Capcom series.

I bet Nintendo fans would love if Nintendo did something like this for Mario or Kirby, or hell anything with Zelda.

And to show I'm not a Capcom fanboy, Capcom not bringing out the 25th Anniversary Mega Man music set boxed in an E-Tank tin in the West and leaving it Japan only is crap IMO, but like Colin Moriarity of IGN, I think it's them trying to bury anything related to Kenji Inafune.[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet that Capcom produced many more of the SF 25th Anniversary CE's then Gearbox produced of the Ultimate Loot Chest Editions.

I love the RE franchise and think Capcom puts a lot cool stuff in its store but here is a company that made 5,000 of the SF chess sets, priced them at $299.99 and wonders why they still have 4,300+ left to sell.

You should be happy it hasn't sold out as there are many better opportunties to get it for less now (i.e. B1G1 50% off, coupon stacking, sales, clearances, etc.)

I'm going to cancel mine.

Even though the statue and the belt are pretty awesome, I've grown tired of CE clutter. I already have the two DLC games and picked up AE with all the DLC during the Steam Summer Sale. I'd be interested in the BDs and CDs, but not for $150.

I want to check out SFxT at some point, but I guess I'll wait.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Well when it drops to $60 or below I'll eat crow. I'm just upset this didn't sell out while the vastly inferior Borderlands 2 $150 UE sold out within a week or two of its announcement when it's major flaw is the same thing that people are hating about this CE but it's ok for one b/c it's a Gearbox game but it's not ok with a Capcom series.

And to show I'm not a Capcom fanboy, Capcom not bringing out the 25th Anniversary Mega Man music set boxed in an E-Tank tin in the West and leaving it Japan only is crap IMO, but like Colin Moriarity of IGN, I think it's them trying to bury anything related to Kenji Inafune.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's a bad CE. I think it's cool and really want it. I'm just a cheapass who thinks he can get it for less than MSRP, so I'll roll the dice.

Also, this is the first I've heard about this Mega Man soundtrack thing. It looks amazing and I want it.

I don't understand all the hate for this box set. Its a great deal, especially for the PS3. I was a big SF fan back in the arcades, and have yet to pick up any of the new ones.

For me, this is a great package. Looking forward to it.

The hate is mainly because it's all digital. Even still, for the price, you get a lot of value. This in an age where COD map packs are $15 freaking dollars, and we pay $150 for big, stupid CEs of just one single game. I think some people need to reframe how they look at this. Screw Capcom for making it all digital, but good on them for at least making it worth it!

[quote name='MrBubbles']Disregarding DLC, which is frivolous for these games, here is the cost-by-cost of everything.

Games
-Street Fighter X Tekken $40
-Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (with all costume DLC) $30
-Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix $15
-Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition $10

-All episodes of the Street Fighter animated series (DELICIOUS!) Why not stream?
-Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie Why not stream?
Light-up Ryu statue $30
Ryu's belt $15

~$135 without stuff that's going to be uploaded on YouTube anyway (Documentaries & soundtracks). Even so....from that package you have two digital only games that will be worthless if you already own them. Not to mention Street Fighter x Tekken has some serious issues (console breaking glitch still hasn't been patched), so IDK. I would only put $150 if it came with a tournament arcade stick.[/QUOTE]

I like your cost breakdown. I don't think this is worth it. Why wouldn't they include SF 1??? And then the SF movie with Van Damme?!?!?!

I might only be one of the few out there but I never really got into Street Figher and only ordered because it was an Anniversary Collection. I was more into Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat.

I pre ordered this in amazon for PS3 but Im thinking of canceling it. $150 is too much and I have a feeling that by black friday it might be on sale.

[quote name='joeboosauce']I like your cost breakdown. I don't think this is worth it. Why wouldn't they include SF 1??? And then the SF movie with Van Damme?!?!?![/QUOTE]

That breakdown was a bit old though. The prices should be even lower now. IE SF X Tekken is $20 and SF4: AE should be around $20 as well.

bread's done
Back