Street Fighter IV - Gen Discussion & Info

Can't wait for my stick to show up--it's my first one.

I'm maining Cammy, like I did for SSF2THDR, and I'm really enjoying it. I expected to hate the hooligan input, but on the 360 controller I'm never missing it. Chalk it up to a couple of extra jump frames, I guess. It's a shame the move sucks now, though.

Just played through on the hardest difficulty and got to Seth without losing a round--and then promptly lost like nine straight matches against the bastard. I guess he takes some practice to beat consistently; it felt like I kept on getting really close, before he just crushed me at the very end. His teleportation made it really hard to land supers on him.

Just out of curiosity for any other Cammy players: I was able to link combos together in HDR, but I'm having a lot of trouble doing it in SF4. For the life of me I can't get two C.M.Kicks to combo anymore. Ugh. Has the combo system changed? Anybody have any nice combos for Cammy, besides the standard C.M.Kick -> Spiral Arrow cancel?

[quote name='bardockkun']I Just don't like Blanka talking in complete sentences.[/QUOTE]

That too, pretty much blasphemy. Never said he wasn't good now, just don't like playing as him quite as much as I did.

[quote name='Pylis']Can't wait for my stick to show up--it's my first one.

I'm maining Cammy, like I did for SSF2THDR, and I'm really enjoying it. I expected to hate the hooligan input, but on the 360 controller I'm never missing it. Chalk it up to a couple of extra jump frames, I guess. It's a shame the move sucks now, though.

Just out of curiosity for any other Cammy players: I was able to link combos together in HDR, but I'm having a lot of trouble doing it in SF4. For the life of me I can't get two C.M.Kicks to combo anymore. Ugh. Has the combo system changed? Anybody have any nice combos for Cammy, besides the standard C.M.Kick -> Spiral Arrow cancel?[/QUOTE]

Woo, Cammy and her freaky abs ftw. They're like the Chun-Li thighs of abs. Yea I'm actually liking the "new" inputs better then the HDR ones. I just need to work more punches into my game that aren't cancels into Canon Spikes or Spiral Arrows. Still can get the hooligan in on certain characters because no one expects it anymore. As far as combos go I can't even get past the first one in the Trials. Seriously how am I supposed to Canon Spike someone when the first two attacks in the combo push them out of range of it? >.<

Be ready to most likely miss all your moves for a couple hours but the stick's worth the adjustment.

[quote name='integralsmatic']I think once the players start to branch off the Shotos than we can see some good online competition. I mean ive mained up Ryu and Ken but branching to Sagat and Dan...Im having so much fun right now.[/QUOTE]

You know that is really surprising that we're not seeing a ton of Sagats. From what I'd read he was still supposed to be top tier character and was always popular in the past.

Not sure why, but combos come out MUCH better in SF4 than in HDTurboRemix with the standard 360 pad. Couldnt for the life of me get combos consistently in Turbo, but pretty smoothe with SF4, although the pad DOES let me down on occasion. I am thinking its maybe the extra frames of animation that will allow for more anticipation (just like real martial arts where you can go to stop an opponents move midway because you can see the motion for it), as opposed to the sprites on Turbo where there are fewer animation frames, and the slow 360 dpad cant compensate for it. Just a theory, but like i said, not sure why....

Currently playing:
:360: Street Fighter 4, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Bomberman Live
:ps2: Maximo
:xbox: Capcom Classics Collection

[quote name='Soodmeg']I am 6-0 with my test blanka. People seemingly have no idea how to fight him. The jumpers get crushed by the vertical ball....he can duck under all fireballs..and when they try to come forward I smash them with the straight ball. Throw some combos in there and they fall apart.

I would love to see the faces of the last 4 kens (2 sagats) when they saw they couldnt even get block damage with fireballs as they were completely missing me. Then when they tried to jump in I just hit them with the vertical ball.

Here is what I am finding out about this game....you can never really tell how good you are. One second you are owning some guy who probably barely knows anything..the next second you are getting your ass handed to you in a basket from the Bruce Lee of Street Fighter.

That mystery alone excites me enough to at least put in a couple hundred online matches.[/quote]

I dont' think i've lost to a Blanka yet with Balrog. Everyone thinks they can just use electricity to keep me from jumping in, but if I'm far enough away I can sweep them. Even worse, if I have a super or ultra available, their dead.

As far as rolls, don't care about those because eventually they get bored of doing it and try to jump in. Buffalo headbutts or jumping fierces work wonders.

Well the speed difference of the games definitely helps. Wouldn't surprise me if the game was tuned a bit with an eye towards home sales too since that has to be the big money for them now as opposed to when SF2 came out the arcade was cash cow.

[quote name='mike.m']I dont' think i've lost to a Blanka yet with Balrog. Everyone thinks they can just use electricity to keep me from jumping in, but if I'm far enough away I can sweep them. Even worse, if I have a super or ultra available, their dead.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played a ton of Blanka because again he makes me go meh but isn't he still hittable from above while doing electricity?

[quote name='amusedtoe']

You know that is really surprising that we're not seeing a ton of Sagats. From what I'd read he was still supposed to be top tier character and was always popular in the past.[/quote]

He's not nearly as tough as previous games. Especially HD Remix. Most of the shoto characters and Sagat and even Guile seem much more balanced for other characters now.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Helps that you beat up on me a bit. :lol:[/quote]

Hah, if it makes you feel better. I lost a ranked match to a Dan user. I learned some things about Dan that I definitely have to look out for. :)

[quote name='mike.m']He's not nearly as tough as previous games. Especially HD Remix. Most of the shoto characters and Sagat and even Guile seem much more balanced for other characters now.[/quote]

What? Sagat's been called the top tier character in SF 4. He's a damn monster.

[quote name='TrenoV']What? Sagat's been called the top tier character in SF 4. He's a damn monster.[/quote]

He is. But in previous incarnations he was even stronger. Capcom did a pretty good job of balancing this game out.

Considering it's only a year old (not including the new characters) any tier rankings are highly suspect and will probably change until people start recognizing all the quirks to the different characters.

[quote name='TrenoV']What? Sagat's been called the top tier character in SF 4. He's a damn monster.[/quote]

Your right sagat is a beast. I yet to play a good one but im scared once someone puts him together.

In case people were wondering...

Playing Street Fighter for so long I've never used Zhangief before and I cannot do his super or ultra combo.

Any tips for doing the double circle motion on a fight pad?

alright so I'm doing trial modes for people and I can never seem to get past trial 3 because they block for the combos. For example I'm on trial 3 for sagat and I have to do a medium punch followed by a tiger uppercut. Suprisingly enough I can do this combo just fine but when the tiger uppercut goes through dan blocks it so it doesn't count. I'm pulling the tiger uppercut in succession with the medium punch, it's not delayed or anything. Could I be going to fast? what the hell is going on here.

Well Trial 3 is cancel (where it breaks out of one move into another if you're not familiar) so you have to do it from same input so by the time he connects with the punch you've got to have the uppercut finished. If he blocks it means you hit with two separate attacks instead of the cancel. Some of the actual combos in trail 4 are kind of ridiculous trying to pull off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got my game today (WTF Amazon!??!)....and WOW greatest game ever made, ever, ever, ever...at least that's how I feel right now. I absolutely love it, it's familiar yet new. Fantastic.

I've been rockin' fools online with Guile and kicking CPU butt with Sakura.

New characters are great, but I'm terrible with C. Viper. Rose is fantastic in IV, I need to get better with her. Overall I'm extremely impressed. My TE stick comes tomorrow so I can relegate this Hori stick to guest duty.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Well Trial 3 is cancel (where it breaks out of one move into another if you're not familiar) so you have to do it from same input so by the time he connects with the punch you've got to have the uppercut finished. If he blocks it means you hit with two separate attacks instead of the cancel.[/quote]

so im not doing it fast enough? damn I thought I was doing it pretty quickly. Thanks for the tip.

/tear hair out

This Sakura combo is driving me crazy. j.HP>MP>QCFP>EX Focus and I hit with all four and get a four hit combo on the screen but no dice. Not like it even gives feedback so I can figure out what it doesn't like.

Ok guess I'm ducking during the MP. Doesn't make sense though why that isn't a combo when you cancel from c.MP into Hadoken.

I have a question. I read that you unlock icons by playing people online. Can you unlock icons by playing people on your friends list? I only ask cos i would rather stay away from random users.

[quote name='amusedtoe']/tear hair out

This Sakura combo is driving me crazy. j.HP>MP>QCFP>EX Focus and I hit with all four and get a four hit combo on the screen but no dice. Not like it even gives feedback so I can figure out what it doesn't like.

Ok guess I'm ducking during the MP. Doesn't make sense though why that isn't a combo when you cancel from c.MP into Hadoken.[/quote]

Yeah i stopped when i hit that combo. I did pretty well w/ bison (got to hard trial 4) and was thinking about picking up sakura as an alternate...but man that MP into haydoken is so annoying to pull off.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I have a question. I read that you unlock icons by playing people online. Can you unlock icons by playing people on your friends list? I only ask cos i would rather stay away from random users.[/QUOTE]

Yep, was playing with mike.m earlier and I got one.

[quote name='naiku']Yeah i stopped when i hit that combo. I did pretty well w/ bison (got to hard trial 4) and was thinking about picking up sakura as an alternate...but man that MP into haydoken is so annoying to pull off.[/QUOTE]

So frustrating that you can't even go to the next one or anything to at least see some other options to work on.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Yep, was playing with mike.m earlier and I got one.

So frustrating that you can't even go to the next one or anything to at least see some other options to work on.[/quote]

I wish they would save the progress you've done like MK Vs. DC's Kombo Challenges. That game sucked but at least when I got overly frustrated on the last combo I could take a break and not have to redo all the other combos.

Yea it's a great system but at the same time could have been so much more. I understand why they wouldn't want to give too much but still a great tool to start with a character.

Know it's a great game when it's almost 4AM and I needed to be in bed 3 hours ago.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Know it's a great game when it's almost 4AM and I needed to be in bed 3 hours ago.[/QUOTE]

QFT!!! I wanted to see Sagat's challenges but am stuck on the first one where its 2 fierce kick super fast for a "fake kick" I think?

I've been playing SF since 92 but this game is frustrating me too no end! I can wreck havoc with Balrog in SF2, Cvs 2, and Alpha 3 but can't do shit with him now. I dunno if it's the animation or what but whenever it looks like it's safe to attack, it's usually not and my attacks come out much slower than before. I didn't have much trouble adjusting to the EX games, but this almost feels like a completely different series.

[quote name='jdeluis']Anybody else having trouble connecting to games. I always get a list of people with blinking red antennas. I have to click on every one on the list until it connects to someone.[/QUOTE]

no thats a reoccuring problem i have. i did get tons of matches by going in to your player set up and setting the type of match req you want. after that play arcade mode and your going to get some takers. I actually lost twice but to better players than me and i was trying to unlock Rose. i got interrupted every single second. I just really hope they get player rooms going and get a quarter system for matches inside that player room..just like DoA had it.

Some of the challenges are insane. Cammys first hard challenger, one of vipers last normal, and chun li's last normal are fucking ridiculous. Of course there are youtube videos of people running through all of the challenges in a few minutes...so frustrating.....

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I've been playing SF since 92 but this game is frustrating me too no end! I can wreck havoc with Balrog in SF2, Cvs 2, and Alpha 3 but can't do shit with him now. I dunno if it's the animation or what but whenever it looks like it's safe to attack, it's usually not and my attacks come out much slower than before. I didn't have much trouble adjusting to the EX games, but this almost feels like a completely different series.[/quote]

Well, its an adjustment to the game for any character regardless, but seriously, Balrog is god is in this game and I've never used Balrog in any previous SF.

I was having a hell of a time adjusting to fadc's for the trial modes. Ken's Hard mode 1 was surprisingly difficult for me, whereas, his later trial modes were easier.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Ran off an 8 win streak last night online with Guile. I think I am starting to get the feel for this game.[/QUOTE]

Guile plays pretty similarly to how he has in previous games, so it shouldn't take much for you to adjust. Pity me on the other side of things, as a Zangief lover. He plays pretty differently, and suffers the loss of the old throw system. :(

[quote name='BlueSwim']Are medals and icons online only?[/quote]

Medals are. I think there are a few ways to earn icons but they are generally earned online, as well as titles.

To earn medals you must win ranked/player matches doing various things. View your medal collection and it will say what you have to do to earn each medal.

Look Jek and Turbulence, if you guys whose characters have actually been improved in this game don't stop complaining, those of us whose characters have been nerfed (such as mine, Chun Li) will be highly annoyed. Try practicing! :D

I read that by completing the Hard Time Attack and Hard Survival Challenges, you get like 2 pages of Icons. However, it seems like everything else is through Online matches.

Challenges, for the most part aren't that tough if you use the Zangief Technique.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/954/954942p1.html

Character modeling and move data already done, says producer.
by John Tanaka

February 18, 2009 - The two major Street Fighter characters missing from Street Fighter IV may not be so missing after all. In an interview today, SFIV producer said that Capcom managed to put some development time into SFIV renditions of Super Street Fighter II characters Dee Jay and T.Hawk, and may even consider putting them in the game if there's enough of a ruckus amongst the fans.

Speaking with Japan's Weekly Famitsu, Yoshinori Ono revealed that incomplete 3D models for the two characters have already been created. The development staff even planned out how T.Hawk would fight in the new SFIV world. He did not say why the two were kept out of the final.

Fans of T.Hawk and Dee Jay should still keep the hope alive. Ono said that if there's enough demand, the two could be in for a revival at any point. He didn't specify how, but we can picture an arcade update followed by download content for the home versions (free, of course!).

Kinda lazy to look around and see if this was posted, but yeah.

[quote name='Jek Porkins'] Pity me on the other side of things, as a Zangief lover. He plays pretty differently, and suffers the loss of the old throw system. :([/quote]

Agreed. Zangief plays different, as well as Dhalsim. No more Yoga Noogie throw technique to really get my buddies mad. But, at least it's easier to teleport.

I don't see how putting in T.Hawk and Dee Jay would work. I mean...it'd have to be like Burnout where you have to download them to continue playing the game online. But beyond that I don't know if it'd work out that well.

Damn the trial can be a pain in the ass. With Blanka I can get up to 3 on normal and then have issues. I have issues with the one that is High Punch into an EX special move. I think it is the third one in 3. Any tips. Also I think the Mexican wrestler I could like to play if I could just learn all his moves.

[quote name='Jek Porkins']Guile plays pretty similarly to how he has in previous games, so it shouldn't take much for you to adjust. Pity me on the other side of things, as a Zangief lover. He plays pretty differently, and suffers the loss of the old throw system. :([/quote]

Yeah, there are a few differences with Guile, but the main one is you can't really tick throw anymore.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't see how putting in T.Hawk and Dee Jay would work. I mean...it'd have to be like Burnout where you have to download them to continue playing the game online. But beyond that I don't know if it'd work out that well.[/quote]

In online fights your opponent can't pick the characters that you've unlocked. I'd imagine downloading characters would work the same way.

[quote name='BigHow']Sadly, the guide lacks this info. It just says that you need to unlock the 6 main unlockable characters to unlock Akuma.

I spent a good two hours trying to unlock him last night. I was playing as both Sagat and Zangief, 99 second rounds, 1 round only, easiest difficulty. I made sure to use no continues each time.

1 perfect did nothing.
2 perfects did nothing.
2 perfects and 1 ultra did nothing.
2 perfects and 3 ultras brought Gouken as the last challenger, but because I hadn't unlocked Akuma yet, I didn't earn him.

I finally had to do 2 perfects and 2 ultras to bring out Akuma.

Tonight, we go for Gouken and Seth. And then the Versus bonanza can begin![/quote]

You do have everybody else besides Akuma, Gouken, and Seth unlocked, right?

As much as people knock Gamefaqs...they had a guide that was spot on. I unlocked both Akuma and Gouken on the very first attempt.

If I could find it I would link it.

Also, I swear Blanka is one of the hardest people to game plan against online it seems. I am now maining Blanka and it feels like people have no idea how to approach him. I use him strictly as a counter hitter. I rarely every be aggressive I just sit and wait until they try a move and then attack. By no means am I really that good at the game but it seems like people are to used to playing against Kens and Ryus and those types of players because they dont even attempt to exploit blanka weakness.

Shotos simply fall apart because the standard Jump kick to Houdken to Shiruken is crushed because Blanka is such a anti air player. The very second they jump I am crushing them with a air death ball. Then when they start to throw fireballs I just slide punch which puts me under the fireball and right next to them.

It just seems like people are so despreate to get off their typical shoto combos that when I take that away they cant think of a new tactic. If fireball fireball fireball doesnt work and jump kick spin kick uppercut doesnt work they basically just stand there and let me beat them.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't see how putting in T.Hawk and Dee Jay would work. I mean...it'd have to be like Burnout where you have to download them to continue playing the game online. But beyond that I don't know if it'd work out that well.[/quote]
Since their models aren't in the game already I'm guessing they would add them via a forced game update. You'd then pay to unlock them.

Anyone know what the collectors "high def dvd" is? is it really a game disc that plays natively through the 360 and/or is the gamestop guy my roomie talked to yesterday full of crap that you have to have the hd dvd drive to play it (which I do)

[quote name='ryoga79']Anyone know what the collectors "high def dvd" is? is it really a game disc that plays natively through the 360 and/or is the gamestop guy my roomie talked to yesterday full of crap that you have to have the hd dvd drive to play it (which I do)[/quote]

It's a 360 game disc so the movie can be formatted in 720p wide screen. It will only play in the 360 drive.

Reason being is 1. HD-DVD is a dead format and only a fraction of 360 owners have that and 2. A regular DVD would be in 480p.

The PS3 CE being a Blu-Ray and having Ryu as a figure is also why the PS3 CE has sold more than the 360 CE. PS3 CE's are sold out nationwide pretty much, while you can still find 360 CE's if you look around.

bread's done
Back