Super Mario All-Stars (Wii) - 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='etcrane']Actually I've remained silent on this but I really don't see what everyone is getting so excited about. Frankly this is a weak offering for a 25th anniversary edition. I could understand the excitement if Nintendo had packaged games in a format that hadn't been previously seen or was bringing something new to the table. But this release is a rehash of a rom file that was available for years before the wii came out and Nintendo found a way to profit off their classic library.

The booklet and cd are nice touches, but the core offering is just terribly weak and nostalgia is running rampant in this thread. For anyone excited about this release, good for you, it's not my right to rain on your parade but I think it's a clear fact that Nintendo could have brought more to the table than a single, previously released rom on a DVD.[/QUOTE]

And what the hell is wrong w/ nostalgia? You make nostalgia sound like a bad thing.

Haters gonna hate...

There's nothing wrong with nostalgia, but it can blind you to how good a deal actually is. In this case, I wouldn't say that the it's a $30 value for me. It's not about being a hater, it's just realizing this could be a much cooler package for Mario's 25th.

[quote name='ssjmichael']The only thing sad about this thread are the repeat trollers who have nothing better to do than say the same shit over and over again.[/QUOTE]
Thus is the nature of forums. People don't bother to read past the one or two final pages before posting, even if their post is redundant. Hell, this page alone pretty much has three posts making the exact same joke.

"Haters''.... "Fanboys"... Can't we all just get along? :grouphug:
Probably not.

Let's be honest, now: for those of you who have played these games before, what's the most you would be willing to pay for this re-release, not considering potential resale profits?

[quote name='etcrane']Actually I've remained silent on this but I really don't see what everyone is getting so excited about. Frankly this is a weak offering for a 25th anniversary edition. I could understand the excitement if Nintendo had packaged games in a format that hadn't been previously seen or was bringing something new to the table. But this release is a rehash of a rom file that was available for years before the wii came out and Nintendo found a way to profit off their classic library.

The booklet and cd are nice touches, but the core offering is just terribly weak and nostalgia is running rampant in this thread. For anyone excited about this release, good for you, it's not my right to rain on your parade but I think it's a clear fact that Nintendo could have brought more to the table than a single, previously released rom on a DVD.[/QUOTE]

You act like people want to deal with emulators and rom files. Nintendo isn't forcing anyone to buy this. They priced it at $30. If you don't think that's worth it, don't buy it. Let other people do what they want.

I get to play this on my wii. I don't have to fire up my NES or Super NES or deal with virtual console bullshit. That's worth $30 to me.

Anybody saying this is not a great deal should look on eBay. To own physical copies of all these games would cost more than $29.99. Looks like a deal to me.

[quote name='iGen']Let's be honest, now: for those of you who have played these games before, what's the most you would be willing to pay for this re-release, not considering potential resale profits?[/QUOTE]
I won't be reselling it and I was willing to pay $19.99, not two pennies more.

[quote name='SpockBlocker']Anybody saying this is not a great deal should look on eBay. To own physical copies of all these games would cost more than $29.99. Looks like a deal to me.[/QUOTE]

If you're just comparing the price of the Wii version to its older counterparts, then the same game on SNES can be had for about half the price via eBay. The price on that version will drop even further once the Wii version comes out.

Yes, the Wii version comes with extras to account for the additional cost.

[quote name='Thrinn']If you're just comparing the price (and disregard the ability to play the game on a modern system) the same game on SNES version can be had for about half the price via eBay, and the price on that game will drop even further once the Wii version comes out.[/QUOTE]

used. full of stains from previous owner. more clutter. no thanks.

all in one tidy little package with an artbook and a soundtrack. well worth $30.

[quote name='confoosious']You act like people want to deal with emulators and rom files. Nintendo isn't forcing anyone to buy this. They priced it at $30. If you don't think that's worth it, don't buy it. Let other people do what they want.

I get to play this on my wii. I don't have to fire up my NES or Super NES or deal with virtual console bullshit. That's worth $30 to me.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I agree. I personally don't like dealing with roms or emulators and would rather have the ability to play the games on a system. Also, I don't like using the virtual console or any other donwloadable game unless it's the only way I can play that game. I prefer the physical copy over digital. Unless any of these companies offer us a way to transfer over the digital files to other systems, then I'll continue to use physical media.

I preordered this the other day. I had a $20 coupon to burn. This was good enough for it.

I don't know if you've guys played a VC game lately but snes and N64 games look WAY better on there than on the original systems. Progressive scan and 480p do wonders for these games. Even you own the snes version this one is going to look noticeably better.

I have an original SNES copy of All Stars but no system to play it on. It's not that buying an SNES is that expensive. Heck I can find a decent one on craigslist for $15-20.

Although I do like the graphics of the original versions of these games, there's something about the updated graphics in SMB2 especially.

In fact I think I might sell my SNES copy. I love collecting games to play, but for once I agree w/ confoosius...less clutter. In fact I think I'm gonna sell my NES & all games that are already on the VC to fund buying the Red Wii.

Some SNES games I want to add to my collection that are more expensive than the $8 on the VC. FF2 & Contra 3 for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Maniac Mansion']I have an original SNES copy of All Stars but no system to play it on. It's not that buying an SNES is that expensive. Heck I can find a decent one on craigslist for $15-20.

Although I do like the graphics of the original versions of these games, there's something about the updated graphics in SMB2 especially.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. I bought one on Craigslist in brand new condition for $50 and it came with All-Stars, Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Tetris Splash, and a whole bunch of SNES games.

Yea sure this games price will go up though

[quote name='iGen']Let's be honest, now: for those of you who have played these games before, what's the most you would be willing to pay for this re-release, not considering potential resale profits?[/QUOTE]

I don't buy games for profit, and I'm willing to pay $30 for this game. It's true that the 3 spots I'm looking to possibly buy a copy (Amazon, GameStop, Kmart) I have coupons/credit for, but that's not really impacting my decision.

The games are $21 on the VC. My Wii is looking like it's going to need replaced as it's acting up worse than ever, which means either re-buying the games or a huge hassle with Nintendo. $30 for this, getting a physical copy, and the extras? I'm in. If I can get the game for under $30 release week or right around then, you can bet I'll try. As it stands I can get it free at Amazon after I use some gift card balance, for $20 + tax at GameStop, or $30 at Kmart minus any Donkey Kong Country or Epic Mickey coupons.

[quote name='ssjmichael']The only thing sad about this thread are the repeat trollers who have nothing better to do than say the same shit over and over again. You don't think this is a good deal? Great, say it once and GTFO.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, someone makes a valid point(s) as to why this is NOT a good deal (on a site dedicated to posting good deals I might add) and that makes them a troll ? No one is forcing you to read any of this....so why don't you GTFO.

Maybe the reason people are saying the same thing over and over is, get this.... IT'S NOT A GOOD DEAL since most of us have played these and beaten them decades ago ! oh, but I forgot, in today's world when someone does not agree with the crowd, they are a 'troll'. Great logic ! Also this is a forum for.....get this....discussion !! positive and negative, so everyone reading can make an informed decision to purchase or not. Obviously I chimed in my 2 cents to NOT buy since I think Nintnendo can do much better by all of us (and that's wrong how ?)

and yes, I read most of this thread and it seems like most people who ARE going to buy this are not exactly thrilled to do so, but they loved the games growing up, didn't have the SNES cart, think it will be collectable, etc. All those reasons are fine when your talking about a simple re-release, but this is supposed to be a 25th Anniversary product and this is hardly worthy when it is a simple reissue with addons you can get free at comic-con/pax, etc. Remove the Nostalgia goggles and you'll see much clearer that this is not a good deal for most of the audience on this site.

and for those thinking that their opinions don't count, fans recently bitched about the new look of Cole for Infamous 2 and guess what, they changed him back to a look much closer to that of Infamous 1.

developers/publishers do listen to us when they think money is to be made (or lost).

DDD-

I'm thrilled to buy this.

The point is not that if you have a differing opinion, you're a troll. The point is that the site is to help people find deals on games they want (or maybe don't even want). But continually posting about how bad Nintendo is ripping off the sheep is unhelpful. People who do that are basically just calling everyone who is buying this an idiot. Is that not trolling?

I understand this product might not be exactly what you want and the price that you want. But isn't that for an individual to decide? Why rant over and over how shitty this product is? To some of us, it's not shitty at all.

Considering that Super Mario All-Stars on the Snes had all these games and some versions also had Super Mario World, I was expecting this to at least have Mario 64.

Oh well I'm still getting it :)

[quote name='confoosious']I'm thrilled to buy this.

The point is not that if you have a differing opinion, you're a troll. The point is that the site is to help people find deals on games they want (or maybe don't even want). But continually posting about how bad Nintendo is ripping off the sheep is unhelpful. People who do that are basically just calling everyone who is buying this an idiot. Is that not trolling?

I understand this product might not be exactly what you want and the price that you want. But isn't that for an individual to decide? Why rant over and over how shitty this product is? To some of us, it's not shitty at all.[/QUOTE]
I know that it's really hard for you to grasp some things but check it out...

The issue people are mostly saying is that they don't know why some posters are going completely bananas over this game like it is some amazing thing. It makes people have to cut in with their opinion too and makes it seem more negative.

This is the same Mario All-Stars game released nearly 2 decades ago and just put on a disc for $30. Some people are making it like this is the best collection ever and the best deal ever.

Really, there is no reason for people to go bonkers over this re-release to retail at $30.

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe22']Really, there is no reason for people to go bonkers over this re-release to retail at $30.[/QUOTE]Who's to say what another person's reaction to a deal should be?

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe22']Really, there is no reason for people to go bonkers over this re-release to retail at $30.[/QUOTE]

Except that I can play these on a current-gen system NOW. These do not exist on VC (at least in their All-Stars versions), and I haven't owned an actual SNES in probably at least 5 or 6 years. The All-Stars version of Mario 3 is one of my favorite games of all times, and all of the games in this collection are highly regarded by a lot of gamers to varying extents.

It's perfectly fine and understandable why people are excited about this; it's probably the same group of people who would have been willing to buy these individually on VC, they're just putting it out in a disc form with some bonuses at a sub-standard MSRP. Deal with it.

[quote name='Thrinn']Who's to say what another person's reaction to a deal should be?[/QUOTE]

Apparently, JohnDoeHoe is making our decisions for us now. :roll:

[quote name='SailorDaravon']Except that I can play these on a current-gen system NOW. These do not exist on VC (at least in their All-Stars versions), and I haven't owned an actual SNES in probably at least 5 or 6 years. The All-Stars version of Mario 3 is one of my favorite games of all times, and all of the games in this collection are highly regarded by a lot of gamers to varying extents.

It's perfectly fine and understandable why people are excited about this; it's probably the same group of people who would have been willing to buy these individually on VC, they're just putting it out in a disc form with some bonuses at a sub-standard MSRP. Deal with it.[/QUOTE]
I would have bought them on Virtual Console too. I already own 2 of the games on VC.

I just don't know what better way to say it.. This could have and should have been released on Virtual Console with the SNES games. How about giving us a treat for once? It's not like the Wii just started out right now. Instead, they wasted a bunch of discs to bring us a collection that was originally released on SNES 17 years ago as a collection of the previous consoles best Mario games.

Now many generations/consoles later and that's the only collection they have to give for their "next-gen/current-gen" console? That's a pathetic collection to waste a disc on and they should have certainly included more.

That is my biggest gripe with this and I know the majority of people here agree with that. You can debate the price to pay but you can't really debate what I said above. This is really awful to re-release the same old collection on disk if you ask me. Should have at the very least included Super Mario World. They could have charged $50 for it and just made a more legit collection -- it's really a wasted opportunity really it is sad that's the best they got on the 25th anniversary.

Why is it awful? You keep saying it's awful but aside from saying it's the same collection, you give no reasons as to why it's supposedly awful for this to be released.

So it's not every Mario game ever released. Big whoop. I love the original Mario games. It's $30 for 4 Mario games that I could either download off the VC and have to re-buy any time I upgrade to a new console. $30 for a hard copy of the games and all the extras is well worth the OMG NINE WHOLE DOLLARS premium over just the VC games.

I think it's funny. When Nintendo announced this for Japan, no one was in the thread on it bitching about it. When it was announced for Europe, again no one was bitching about how it sucked. But the second it's announced for US- as was expected- holy hell we need an uproar.

I wish nintendo would've gone all the way and included EVERY mario game every (except SMG 1&2) on the disc... I would rather pay more for a complete compilation

[quote name='JohnDoeHoe22']I would have bought them on Virtual Console too. I already own 2 of the games on VC.

I just don't know what better way to say it.. This could have and should have been released on Virtual Console with the SNES games. How about giving us a treat for once? It's not like the Wii just started out right now. Instead, they wasted a bunch of discs to bring us a collection that was originally released on SNES 17 years ago as a collection of the previous consoles best Mario games.

Now many generations/consoles later and that's the only collection they have to give for their "next-gen/current-gen" console? That's a pathetic collection to waste a disc on and they should have certainly included more.

That is my biggest gripe with this and I know the majority of people here agree with that. You can debate the price to pay but you can't really debate what I said above. This is really awful to re-release the same old collection on disk if you ask me. Should have at the very least included Super Mario World. They could have charged $50 for it and just made a more legit collection -- it's really a wasted opportunity really it is sad that's the best they got on the 25th anniversary.[/QUOTE]

I would doubt the few that chimed in would even allow SMW and $50 to stop from trolling.

As it stands, there is 95% of us that don't care what the opinions of the 5% are.

So, kindly ignore the thread and start a petition. ;)

i see alot of people defending this by saying "its a deal because if you bought them all on VC it would be $21". I must be mistaken because i thought all SNES games were 8 bucks on VC. so the big N puts $8 worth of unchanged content on a disk then charges $30 and thats cool? Plus every site i see with the collection say the bonuses are crap. most of the tracks on the soundtrack are SFX's not even full songs. and the book is meh at best.

also i get the fact that some want it for it's limited edition appeal. but if they publish 5 million copies with a limited print run of a few months. it isnt that limited now is it? i have SMAS on my Wii. myself & im sure many others chose to get the game by alternate methods because nintendo refused to release it normally. im still might get this version. i cant help but to be very disappointed though. a $19.99 price point is what ill wait for.

just my 2 cents. if its right for you. heck buy as many as you want. if not skip it

[quote name='gmsick']i see alot of people defending this by saying "its a deal because if you bought them all on VC it would be $21". I must be mistaken because i thought all SNES games were 8 bucks on VC. so the big N puts $8 worth of unchanged content on a disk then charges $30 and thats cool? Plus every site i see with the collection say the bonuses are crap. most of the tracks on the soundtrack are SFX's not even full songs. and the book is meh at best.

also i get the fact that some want it for it's limited edition appeal. but if they publish 5 million copies with a limited print run of a few months. it isnt that limited now is it? i have SMAS on my Wii. myself & im sure many others chose to get the game by alternate methods because nintendo refused to release it normally. im still might get this version. i cant help but to be very disappointed though. a $19.99 price point is what ill wait for.

just my 2 cents. if its right for you. heck buy as many as you want. if not skip it[/QUOTE]

Wow... you are an absolute hater.

This isn't available as a package deal on VC. In order to get all these games on VC (and of course this is more than just these games), you'd have to spend 500 pts each for the Super Mario Bros 1/2/3. Then the Lost Worlds are an additional 600 pts = 2100 pts = $21. And that would just be for the NES ports.

[quote name='confoosious']This isn't available as a package deal on VC. In order to get all these games on VC (and of course this is more than just these games), you'd have to spend 500 pts each for the Super Mario Bros 1/2/3. Then the Lost Worlds are an additional 600 pts = 2100 pts = $21. And that would just be for the NES ports.[/QUOTE]
Dude, get for real. I know who you are.

Tell me now what was your total for the 3 games you purchased?
I can guarantee it wasn't $30 a game. You can stop now.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Wow... you are an absolute hater.[/QUOTE]aren't you hated by like 99.99999% of the CAGer community? so thats funny coming from you :roll:

[quote name='confoosious']This isn't available as a package deal on VC. In order to get all these games on VC (and of course this is more than just these games), you'd have to spend 500 pts each for the Super Mario Bros 1/2/3. Then the Lost Worlds are an additional 600 pts = 2100 pts = $21. And that would just be for the NES ports.[/QUOTE]
trust me i get that. but let be honest. if they released SMAS on VC everyone would have been mad if they charged more than $8 for it regardless of how much the individual nes games cost.

[quote name='gmsick'] if they released SMAS on VC everyone would have been mad if they charged more than $8 for it regardless of how much the individual nes games cost.[/QUOTE]

but they didn't.

I get what Nintendo is doing.

I don't buy things on the VC, period. By releasing this on disc, they have just gotten my $30. It's a much wider audience that they can reach, plus they can charge more. Each sale is more cash in their pocket.

I'm not sure why so many people are getting so butthurt about how people spend their money. Why do you care how other people spend their (I'm assuming) hard-earned money?

[quote name='confoosious']what are you talking about dude? I didn't buy any of those games. I'm merely pointing out what they cost.[/QUOTE]
I'm talking about the three All-Stars games you said you were buying. You keep talking about "it's worth the price" and this and that, but I know that you didn't even pay the actual price or full $30 per game. I know who you are, you won't fool me.

[quote name='confoosious']but they didn't.[/QUOTE]
yeah your right, but thats why i used alternate methods to get the game.
[quote name='Altanis']I get what Nintendo is doing.

I don't buy things on the VC, period. By releasing this on disc, they have just gotten my $30. It's a much wider audience that they can reach, plus they can charge more. Each sale is more cash in their pocket.

I'm not sure why so many people are getting so butthurt about how people spend their money. Why do you care how other people spend their (I'm assuming) hard-earned money?[/QUOTE]

your right it's all about cash. like i said if its for you get it. if not skip it.

Our hyperactive troll Smittyblaze, I mean JohnHoeDoe, has been busy...

That's not counting the 15-ish posts in this thread that he's already had deleted across both of his accounts. Have there been no goats walking across the bridge lately?

Anyway, as far as whether this package is appropriate as a 25th anniversary package, it's obviously not the nicest possible thing they could have done. Just a cool book and decent CD, in addition to the game itself. But more stuff would have increased the retail price. I'm happier to have it cost $30 than $50 with extra stuff, but everybody's different.

I'm going to buy 6 of these and 6 limited Red Wiis, sell them all for 5,000 caps, gil, or gold and go to Cabo.
But all seriousness aside,

I'm in for 2. Seems like a good nostalgia xmas gift for older siblings, great way to introduce it to "new gen" gamers, and it just doesn't fit into my xbox tray. Well it does..

[quote name='rgon86']I'm going to buy 6 of these and 6 limited Red Wiis, sell them all for 5,000 caps, gil, or gold and go to Cabo.
But all seriousness aside,

I'm in for 2. Seems like a good nostalgia xmas gift for older siblings, great way to introduce it to "new gen" gamers, and it just doesn't fit into my xbox tray. Well it does..[/QUOTE]

:lol:

$30, if it was the version of All Stars with Super Mario World on it. I didn't mind the fact that my SNES copy didn't have it because i already owned it(obviously, it was a pack in with the original system), but the absence of it in this package is the deal breaker for me. I won't be losing any sleep over it; i'm just not going to buy it.

I'm not much of a reseller. $20, which I'm hoping K-mart hits with their sale. I'd be willing to pay $25 if it had Super Mario World. I'm not a big fan of the DRM on VC, so I'd want SMW on a disc.

In for one... money well spent.

And I bet that all the haters in this thread are guys that started gaming in the PS1 or PS2 generations. Sorry guys, but Mario will always (forever) be the king of videogames.

Sorry that you guys don't have a franchise that can rival Mario in your consoles of choice.

I'd pay $40

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']And I bet that all the haters in this thread are guys that started gaming in the PS1 or PS2 generations. Sorry guys, but Mario will always (forever) be the king of videogames.

Sorry that you guys don't have a franchise that can rival Mario in your consoles of choice.[/QUOTE]Wasn't this thread just cleaned up by a mod? Let's try not go down the same road yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back