The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Croozer']I stopped by my local blockbuster not excpecting much but I was surprised at the "sale" prices they had on used games. They had Mass Effect 3 and RE:ORC for 49.99 and Uncharted 3 for 29.99; I could get these games new for alot less. Everything else was way overpriced and mostly above MSRP. No wonder blockbuster is going out of business.[/QUOTE]

Sounds more like lazy employees to me. I know for a fact that me3 is $14.99.

[quote name='Zygote']B2G1 free is now on until Nov 26. Any price updates? I know for a fact Uncharted 3 is $20[/QUOTE]

Went in there today and saw a lot of copies of Assassins Creed Revelations 19.99, Batman Arkham City 19.99, Uncharted 3 19.99. Most of the rest was old sports stuff or 5 year old games with sun-faded cover art.

Blockbuster is currently running a 50% of games tagged 19.99 or below until January 7th. It requires a proper barcode scan from the sheet. Combine this with the buy $25 gift card, get 5$ free promotion for extra goodness.

If you're an employee, don't forget your employee appreciation discount (30% off the top, then the 50% is taken from the new price. So a $9.99 title will cost you approximately $3.50 before tax. Shadows of the Damned cost me approximately $5.25.

decent collection of games for half off at my last local blockbuster. Picked up 2 copies of Mass Effect 3 (360) for $15 total

[quote name='TommyLove']Sucks that all the Block blusters in my area went out of business.[/QUOTE]
same here, i actually thought block blusters went bankrupt or something like circuit city, i have no seen one around my area in a few years.

Have one still open near me. Picked up:

Shadows of the Damned (360) $7.50

Saw a bunch of ME3 and a few Kinect titles at $20 before the discount.

Once Upon a Monster & Rise of Nightmares.

They also had some clearance movies, picked up Catfish and Super for $2 each.

Saw a bunch of Mass Effect 3 myself. Went ahead and picked up :360: Kingdoms of Amalur and :360: Blur.

KoA was mistakenly marked $17.99 -- rang up $37.99

I posted this in the other Bbv thread too. :360: me3 is selling for $7.50 after the half price sale for games $19.99 and below. It then trades in for $22 so good deal for those that still have a Bbv around and can find an employee that knows how to do a trade.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']I posted this in the other Bbv thread too. :360: me3 is selling for $7.50 after the half price sale for games $19.99 and below. It then trades in for $22 so good deal for those that still have a Bbv around and can find an employee that knows how to do a trade.[/QUOTE]

Even though that is a good flip, no one really should be caring any BBY gc at this point unless they are spending it immediately.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']I posted this in the other Bbv thread too. :360: me3 is selling for $7.50 after the half price sale for games $19.99 and below. It then trades in for $22 so good deal for those that still have a Bbv around and can find an employee that knows how to do a trade.[/QUOTE]

I might have to look into this once I get home from school...it MIGHT be worth it to get a $40/45 game for 15 bucks

Thank you so much for posting this, hawaiiboy. I was able to get a brand new copy of Black Ops 2 for $22.

Went to the last remaining store in my area, not really much worth noting. They had TONS of Uncharted 3's and sports games in the bins, along with some other games that had been in that price point before.

Saw Deus Ex for 7.50$, but I think I'd rather get a new copy for 3$ more at Kmart. Also saw a few of the other games on the list but they were marked above 20$

Also, does everyone's stores have them in giant deep cardboard bins? I miss when they had the stuff just laid on on tables and shelves, so annoying digging through a pile of 100ish games.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Went to the last remaining store in my area, not really much worth noting. They had TONS of Uncharted 3's and sports games in the bins, along with some other games that had been in that price point before.

Saw Deus Ex for 7.50$, but I think I'd rather get a new copy for 3$ more at Kmart. Also saw a few of the other games on the list but they were marked above 20$

Also, does everyone's stores have them in giant deep cardboard bins? I miss when they had the stuff just laid on on tables and shelves, so annoying digging through a pile of 100ish games.[/QUOTE]
Mine had them on a wire display rack.

I finally had a day off so I went a little crazy. I went to 3 stores (well I tried to go to a 4th, only to find out that there's now a Fast Cash Advance place there instead). Here's my haul. All prices before 50% off, all 360.

Baja Edge of Control - $9.99
Darkness 2 - $19.99
Dungeon Siege III - $19.99
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - $17.99
Harry Potter & Deathly Hallows part 2 - $14.99
Mass Effect 3 - $14.99
NCAA Football 12 - $14.99
Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising - $6.99
Red Faction Armageddon - $9.99
Shadows of the Damned - $14.99
Shaun White Skateboarding - $9.99
Splatterhouse - $14.99
Syndicate - $19.99
Transformers Dark of the Moon - $14.99
Warhammer 40k Space Marine - $14.99

I would have loved to find Portal 2 or MW3, but I'm happy with this sale. Especially for getting in on it so late. It sure was nice not having to find something to pair every game I wanted with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, maybe I ought to check out a Blockbuster for the first time in nearly a year. If I can find one that is...

[quote name='Gertle627']I finally had a day off so I went a little crazy. I went to 3 stores (well I tried to go to a 4th, only to find out that there's now a Fast Cash Advance place there instead). Here's my haul. All prices before 50% off, all 360.

Baja Edge of Control - $9.99
Darkness 2 - $19.99
Dungeon Siege III - $19.99
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - $17.99
Harry Potter & Deathly Hallows part 2 - $14.99
Mass Effect 3 - $14.99
NCAA Football 12 - $14.99
Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising - $6.99
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99
Shadows of the Damned - $14.99
Shaun White Skateboarding - $9.99
Splatterhouse - $14.99
Syndicate - $19.99
Transformers Dark of the Moon - $14.99
Warhammer 40k Space Marine - $14.99

I would have loved to find Portal 2 or MW3, but I'm happy with this sale. Especially for getting in on it so late. It sure was nice not having to find something to pair every game I wanted with.[/QUOTE]

Funny Red Faction was $9.99 before discount at mine.

[quote name='coopscohen']Just wanted to point out that if you buy a $25 GC, you get a free $5 GC and you can use them to make your purchase.[/QUOTE]

Is this automatic in-store, or do you need to bring the coupon from the email to receive the extra $5 GC?

[quote name='strait edge follower']Brought a tekken 6 for 3.95$ after the promo. Gonna flip it to gamestop tommorow with the 50% extra trade in credit with a used game purchase promo[/QUOTE]

You should hold on to it. I really liked the story mode on T6.

[quote name='coopscohen']Just wanted to point out that if you buy a $25 GC, you get a free $5 GC and you can use them to make your purchase.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='winterlane']Is this automatic in-store, or do you need to bring the coupon from the email to receive the extra $5 GC?[/QUOTE]

It should be automatic. The store I just left had signs near the GC. I just asked about the promo and the CSR rung up a $25 and a $5 then scanned a code to make the $5 one free.

Has anyone had luck with finding the two Kirby Wii games for 9.99? Someone mentioned it was that price but I went today and it rang up $34.99.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Funny Red Faction was $9.99 before discount at mine.[/QUOTE]
Good catch. It was $9.99 for me too. Just read the receipt wrong. I probably wouldn't have purchased it for $10, but I'll buy most anything for $5.

[quote name='biggie2123']Has anyone had luck with finding the two Kirby Wii games for 9.99? Someone mentioned it was that price but I went today and it rang up $34.99.[/QUOTE]

It was probably an error by that particular store as neither should be $9.99 after discount.

[quote name='biggie2123']Has anyone had luck with finding the two Kirby Wii games for 9.99? Someone mentioned it was that price but I went today and it rang up $34.99.[/QUOTE]

I sent a pm to the person that posted that. They were stickered $19.99 at his store, but rang up for $49.99. He was able to get a manager override to get them both for $9.99 each. And here I was about to head back to the store tomorrow after reading his post. Glad I sent that pm.

[quote name='dino88']I sent a pm to the person that posted that. They were stickered $19.99 at his store, but rang up for $49.99. He was able to get a manager override to get them both for $9.99 each. And here I was about to head back to the store tomorrow after reading his post. Glad I sent that pm.[/QUOTE]

He was talking like his find was common. Well thanks for the info. Saved me a trip.

Well it was gonna come eventually right? The last Blockbuster in my neighborhood is finally closing down. Thanks for all the B1G1 opportunities and the combo pass BBV. You will be missed.

Yeah, this last sale was pretty bitter sweet. There is only ONE store within any reasonable distance from me and I got all of one game (Madden 12 Wii) to build up my GS credit. That is a far cry from the old days. It wasn't all that long ago (3-4 years) that I had 9 or 10 stores within a reasonable distance and an abundance of games that no one else ever wanted (so I felt no qualms getting them for GS trades).

There are still a few in outlying areas but it isn't worth going up to those. The two highest-grossing stores in the whole metro area have closed recently. I was very surprised by the last one which I figured would be the last to ever close. I went there the other day and it was long gone with all the interior and even the exterior sign gone. I had no idea!

Still, I think it was pretty fitting that I got one whole game from the sale when I used to get many per store in the old days. I have no faith that the remaining store near me (and by near I mean 10 miles) will make it through much of next year.

However, it was interesting to see what they had for sale. They actually had a Skylanders Giants display that was pretty well stocked. And they were selling many more new games than the last time I was in there. They even had a pretty good selection of new Wii U games! I noticed the Nintendo games were conspicuously absent both for sale and rental. Seems pretty odd not to have NSMBU at the very least. There must be something going on there between Nintendo and Blockbuster. And yet they had a pretty nice display for all the Wii U stuff.

I guess I was pretty shocked to see all the new games (they also had 360 and PS3 games). I expected the store to be half empty or filled with garbage. I don't know why, but that would have seemed more appropriate.

[quote name='GoVols']Is the 50% off sale over?[/QUOTE]

Was still going on last night at my local store. Someone here mentioned it was going on until January. Not sure of the date though.

Ran by one of my local stores to see if I could rent a copy of nsmb:wu. They didn't even have cut outs for it..

However I did notice the sale was still going on for 50% off 19.99 and under. Ended up picking the following up for 18.82 after tax.
shadows of the damned - ps3
Mgs4 -ps3
Farcry 2 - 360

[quote name='icarusmight']Was still going on last night at my local store. Someone here mentioned it was going on until January. Not sure of the date though.[/QUOTE]

I asked when the sale was going til and someone said (to my best recollection) that it was at least January 6th... i remembered since that'll be my birthday, but whose to say this guy had the right facts?

Got Rayman Origins for $9, it was the only game I didn't have from the bin. It was a pain in the ass trying to find the BB, Google maps turn by turn needs some work.

[quote name='Hunter Hybrid']Got Rayman Origins for $9, it was the only game I didn't have from the bin. It was a pain in the ass trying to find the BB, Google maps turn by turn needs some work.[/QUOTE]
what system? and do you know what the rayman origins price is on ps3?

Sale ends January 7, according to associate who checked sheet with bar codes. There were some decent titles at my store. I restrained myself and only picked up Uncharted 3 ($10 AD) and Alice (for my wife). Tempted to go back for Shadows of the Damned.

bread's done
Back