The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tuffguycore']I'm one of those people who bought the History Channel game...[/QUOTE]

l cleaned out all of tampa area including clear water. l just grabbed the cods, zeldas, kirbys, spidermans, epic mick, and personas. Besides those, there are a lot left.

[quote name='Echoes']My Gamestop has a truck load of games sent to it from other Gamestops that have closed... Got Pokemon Black 2 and Halo 4 (for my brother). Yay.[/QUOTE]
Did you mean Blockbuster or did you post in the wrong place?

[quote name='tuffguycore']I'm one of those people who bought the History Channel game...[/QUOTE]

:D How is it? I have nothing against the game, it just seems like such an obvious niche/specialty title that loading up on 5 copies per store seems like a bizarre move on BB's part.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Huh I actually haven't seen that Persona game anywhere. Is it common? I'm usually seeing the same games at every BB, i.e. piles of : Blops2, Just dance 4, Skyrim, Anarchy Reigns, History Channel/Patton.

BB needs someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to ordering games. Why the hell does every store have six copies of a History Channel videogame? I can't imagine ANY of those have even been rented.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should apply for the job since you know a lot of gaming rental and business....

The reason why we order the history game is because we get a huge discount on BULK ordering so think about it, 500 store ordering about 7 copies makes the game come out to about $25. So with the rentals and the used price we can profit a little.

Picked up a total of 12 blurays and 4 games this sale for 126+tax. Earned 86.4 back in credit at BestBuy after dumping 3 of the blops. This needs to happen more often.

Has anyone ever had trouble trading in games with generic boxes at Best Buy? The manager told me that Best Buy no longer accepts games without their original case. Help, anyone?

[quote name='Foxhound141']Has anyone ever had trouble trading in games with generic boxes at Best Buy? The manager told me that Best Buy no longer accepts games without their original case. Help, anyone?[/QUOTE]

He's mistaken or just didn't want to accept them. I've traded in a couple disc-only flips as recently as yesterday and today. No issues and no policy change...

[quote name='klimb22']Did you mean Blockbuster or did you post in the wrong place?[/QUOTE]

Lol yeah I meant Blockbuster. Fail on my part.

This is going to be a stupid question but I assume they're open today? I know I'm really late to the game but I'm heading to a mall a ways away today and there's actually a BB left nearby.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']This is going to be a stupid question but I assume they're open today? I know I'm really late to the game but I'm heading to a mall a ways away today and there's actually a BB left nearby.[/QUOTE]
I'm almost positive they are,they used to never close on any holiday esp. with a sale going on.

[quote name='PurpleJesus74']I'm almost positive they are,they used to never close on any holiday esp. with a sale going on.[/QUOTE]

They are open 365

I went last Wednesday at my nearest Blockbuster and picked up a couple games. Went back today and they had store closing signs.....

I ended up getting two copies blops deuce for 360. Kept one for myself and flipped the other one at Gamestop. Got 20 credit and bought Red Dead Redemption GOTY (360) for 19.99 new. Difference was a dollar and change. (Darn CA taxes)

Not a bad haul for 30 dollhairs

Went back yesterday after being out of town for the weekend.

Ended up getting the following:

Blu-Rays for the Kids:
Hotel Transylvania - $12.99
Rise of the Guardians - Free

Games:
Street Fighter X Tekken 360 - 19.99
Asura's Wrath 360 - FREE

Game of Thrones PS3 - 17.99
WWE All Stars - FREE

Also got some POP! figures/bobbleheads (or whatever they are). Got the White Walker from Game of Thrones, and the Blockbuster Exclusive Master Chief (Gold one) for 2.50 each. Also some other 75% junk for the kids that was super cheap.

I have a gut feeling that one of the 2 left in my city is probably going to end up closing soon. Traffic while I was in either store was pretty slow..

[quote name='Animal7390']whats the price point for the movies, i cant get to the page that give me the info.[/QUOTE]

I don't know there was one but it's probably over seeing as its the 28 now

[quote name='BlockbusterGuy']Maybe you should apply for the job since you know a lot of gaming rental and business....

The reason why we order the history game is because we get a huge discount on BULK ordering so think about it, 500 store ordering about 7 copies makes the game come out to about $25. So with the rentals and the used price we can profit a little.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I hope they are making a profit off them, as I want to see Blockbuster live on. How did the sale go for your store? Did you get a lot of business? I'd love it if the sale came back as a regular thing.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Fair enough. I hope they are making a profit off them, as I want to see Blockbuster live on. How did the sale go for your store? Did you get a lot of business? I'd love it if the sale came back as a regular thing.[/QUOTE]

Sales weren't quite as good as projected (despite the deals being there), but the main focus from powers that be was on the rental package. I know our store didn't hit that goal... at... all...

So looks like the "B1G1 50% off games/movies $19.99 and under" is going on already. Got an email it started yesterday. No coupon was needed but they have to scan a barcode. Looks like they lowered a few game prices too. Can't remember all of them but I remember seeing
Wii U
Black Ops 2 $19.99
Tekken Tag 2 $19.99
ZombiU $19.99
Assassin's Creed 3 $19.99
Epic Mickey 2 $19.99
Madden 2013 $19.99

Xbox/ps3
Hitman Absolution $17.99

I can't remember everything since I was looking for Wii U games. Picked up Assassin's Creed 3 and ZombiU for Wii U for $30.

So looks like the "B1G1 50% off games/movies $19.99 and under" is going on already. Got an email it started yesterday. No coupon was needed but they have to scan a barcode. Looks like they lowered a few game prices too. Can't remember all of them but I remember seeing
Wii U
Black Ops 2 $19.99
Tekken Tag 2 $19.99
ZombiU $19.99
Assassin's Creed 3 $19.99
Epic Mickey 2 $19.99
Madden 2013 $19.99

Xbox/ps3
Hitman Absolution $17.99

I can't remember everything since I was looking for Wii U games. Picked up Assassin's Creed 3 and ZombiU for Wii U for $30.
If the price drops are universal, it's probably better to wait until the 50% sale off all games $19.99 and under starting 06/25. You can get both for $20 then.

I don't know if I can wait till the 25th. Ha

Might have to just get the Wii U games now and pay the extra. My mind says they are going to be gone but I know they won't be.

I been wanting to play ZombiU for a while and $15 for it was good for me after the bundle discount. They only had 2 copies at my store so I'd rather make sure to get my copy now. I'll go back after the other coupon starts and see what they have left. I'd get something else at $10 since it would be a single item you have to get.

I been wanting to play ZombiU for a while and $15 for it was good for me after the bundle discount. They only had 2 copies at my store so I'd rather make sure to get my copy now. I'll go back after the other coupon starts and see what they have left. I'd get something else at $10 since it would be a single item you have to get.
Do you get original case and manual with these previously rented games?

Wow what a douche move opening this thread up. Since you know everything about blockbuster I'm gonna step down and let you handle all the information. Peace out

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what a douche move opening this thread up. Since you know everything about blockbuster I'm gonna step down and let you handle all the information. Peace out
Seriously? Listen, we all appreciate your contributions -- really -- but io has been maintaining this thread for many years. Him posting an update is not a shot at you.

bread's done
Back