The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, it really is sad days for Blockbuster. In the heyday of B1G1 sales this thread would have 10+ new pages by now.

In any case, from the single remaining store within 25 miles, I got a few games and a ton of collectibles and toys (mostly Angry Birds and Mario stuff for the kids including plush Mario and Yoshi backpacks for $5 each).

The games:

:wii: Kirby Return to Dreamland - $29.99
:wii: Kirby's Dream Collection - $27.99
:wii: Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword - $29.99
:360: Star Wars Kinect - $19.99
:ps3: Persona 4 Arena - $19.99
:ps3: Ben 10 Omniverse - $19.99
and a couple of BLOPS II...

I was there around 1pm. He said he had sold a few hundred dollars worth of the 75% off toys earlier in the day including to a woman who was buying stuff yesterday when he told her about 75% happening next day (apparently the stuff was already at 50% off before which was news to me). She came in first thing today and bought half the stock.

I don't think anyone had touched the games though. It was too bad that a bunch of games are just out of reach of the $29.99 pricing (including all of the Wii U games). I saw a lot of games that were $34.99 and $39.99.

All told I spent about $170 and the guy working there was thrilled - that's probably more than they clear total on a lot of days ;).

[quote name='ThusSpokeZarathustra']I feel like an idiot. I spent $95 on 6 copies of Black Ops 2 in the hopes of trading them to Gamestop for store credit. So I took two copies to gamestop and they refused to take them both. They said they'd only take one.[/QUOTE]

My store certainly had enough copies to try that, but I didn't wanna risk it. I get along great with the guys at my local store and wouldn't jeopardize that, and I thought maybe the other stores wouldn't take multiple copies anyway. So I bought $80 worth of games to trade in; either the 30% extra or the $35 extra will get me a nice profit.

[quote name='keyblader1985']My store certainly had enough copies to try that, but I didn't wanna risk it. I get along great with the guys at my local store and wouldn't jeopardize that, and I thought maybe the other stores wouldn't take multiple copies anyway. So I bought $80 worth of games to trade in; either the 30% extra or the $35 extra will get me a nice profit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just bought 1 360 copy and 1 PS3 copy to trade to GS (the BBV store had at least 5-6 of each plus I think more on another shelf). They ought to take one of each system but I will find out in a bit. I'm just going to preorder Animal Crossing New Leaf and get the 30% bump that way. It is too hard to scrounge up 7 games for the other deal, and that is only $5 extra anyway (the 30% will be $6.60 extra).

But you do realize ThusSpokeZarathustra that you can just take the other copies to different stores. Yeah, you can't usually trade more than 1 copy of a game at a single time at any GS, so you will have to spread them around a bit. But this is one of those cases where "flipping" benefits everyone: nearly every BBV will have tons of these games that they want to get rid of for quick cash so they are happy. They have lots of copies so you aren't hoarding. And GS loves getting more used games ;).

^I traded in a PS3 and 360 copy of Blops II with no problem.

Anyway, I spent a total of $108.46. Then including two games I already had, I traded in 8 games for a total of $146.95, and I still have three of the games I bought.

The 30% extra is better if you're only trading in a few games (or a crapton of games), but for those 8 the $35 extra was better.

[quote name='io']Yeah, I just bought 1 360 copy and 1 PS3 copy to trade to GS (the BBV store had at least 5-6 of each plus I think more on another shelf). They ought to take one of each system but I will find out in a bit. I'm just going to preorder Animal Crossing New Leaf and get the 30% bump that way. It is too hard to scrounge up 7 games for the other deal, and that is only $5 extra anyway (the 30% will be $6.60 extra).

But you do realize ThusSpokeZarathustra that you can just take the other copies to different stores. Yeah, you can't usually trade more than 1 copy of a game at a single time at any GS, so you will have to spread them around a bit. But this is one of those cases where "flipping" benefits everyone: nearly every BBV will have tons of these games that they want to get rid of for quick cash so they are happy. They have lots of copies so you aren't hoarding. And GS loves getting more used games ;).[/QUOTE]

I have a question... would I be able to trade in another copy at the same gamestop the next day, or is it just one per gamestop, period? Because I put that ONE copy I did trade in towards the Last of Us. If they let me trade in another copy towards it, I'd have it paid off completely.

[quote name='waltercartman']Well just had a great time at my local blockbuster.

Walked in and had 4 blu rays and 4 games ready to buy. I found a dishonered for 19.99 on the ps3 . I was stoked and grabed 2 cod bo2 and battlefield 3. When I got to the front desk the large blad ahole working there told me dishonored was marked wrong and took it away from me. Now I thought they had to honor whatever price they put on something. He was having none of that. He went on to yell at me like I was a child lol. Like really yrlling at me about it. I was pissed but I had let it drop and was willing to buy the 2 cod games and the blu rays. Well he wasnt done going off on me. He starts going on about the game and tells me that the sticker on it wasnt even the right sticker. Even hough the sticker was the same sticker on the cod and battlefield games.

That was just it for me I said no thanks to any of it and just walked out. 10.00 was worth it to him for the store to loose 80.00 in sales. I will never shop at a blockbuster again. Lucky me there are only like 20 stores left.

Oh and as I was walking out I said " No wonder blockbuster is going under" he felt the need to yell back at me "No were not" LMAO.

Enjoy the story guys and know that there is a reason blockbuster is going the way of circut city.[/QUOTE]

What location is that? Zip code? And sorry about that, too bad people don't understand how business are suppose to be run.
Reminds me of the Boston market undercover boss episode...

I seriously sold about 50 games on my shift from 10 to 6 and I know I must of saw some of you guys there! So thank you for spending your money with us!

Went there, and immidiatly picked up lock, shock and barrel bobble heads for 3.50 and jack skellington and darth maul pop figures for 2.50, after that i found darkness 2 and blops2

Here is what I got for $80, I took the blu rays out of generic case and put them in empty cases I had
20130521_204631.jpg

[quote name='Rahori']Went there, and immidiatly picked up lock, shock and barrel bobble heads for 3.50 and jack skellington and darth maul pop figures for 2.50, after that i found darkness 2 and blops2[/QUOTE]

I wish my store still had their Darth Maul/Jack pop figures, but they were gone before the sale began.

[quote name='keyblader1985']
The 30% extra is better if you're only trading in a few games (or a crapton of games), but for those 8 the $35 extra was better.[/QUOTE]

Well, it really depends on the value of the games you are trading. Anything worth $17 or over is better with the 30% (because you will get more than $5 per game). If you have a mix of low and high value things the $35 extra for 7 might be better because of the boost it gives the cheaper stuff. There was just no way I was going to come up with 5 other games worth more than $3 that I wanted to get rid of in the limited time I had this afternoon.

In any case, I just got back from I trading the 2 BLOPS II and preordering Animal Crossing New Leaf which I was going to do anyway at some point. So, yeah, I guess I have Blockbuster to thank for getting that essentially for half-price.

[quote name='ThusSpokeZarathustra']I have a question... would I be able to trade in another copy at the same gamestop the next day, or is it just one per gamestop, period? Because I put that ONE copy I did trade in towards the Last of Us. If they let me trade in another copy towards it, I'd have it paid off completely.[/QUOTE]

Generally you can unless perhaps you get the same clerks and they don't allow you. YMMV of course. I don't think there's a rule that precludes it though - just the judgment of the clerks.

[quote name='dyeknom']I wish my store still had their Darth Maul/Jack pop figures, but they were gone before the sale began.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, none of that at mine either. I think the fact that all this stuff was already 50% off before today meant a lot of the good ones were already gone. It's not like they went from full price to 75% off overnight. I did manage to get a Cortana for my Halo fanboy son, and a Mickey Mouse and Stitch, just, 'cause, well... just 'cause ;). Mostly I got lots of Angry Birds stuff for my 5 year-old and some Hello Kitty things for my 3 year-old. Most of it is being put away and will probably end up being stocking stuffers this Christmas.

Ended up getting Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword, Kirby's Return to Dreamland and a couple of Black Ops. Had to drive a good 15 miles to get to a Blockbuster. Glad they had plenty of stock.

Picked up a couple of the Blockbuster exclusive Halo figure. I figure I could probably sit on it until the next Halo game comes out and then sell it. And if its worthless, I lost $5.

[quote name='209chromatic']So you can put $5 on the same pre order multiple times and still get the 30% promo? Did not know that.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can do that. You would need to make a new preorder for a different game the next time. But then I've never tried doing multiple trades for the same preorder. I think that's another thing that even if it is possible, is going to be YMMV depending on the clerk. After all, the point of the preorder promo is to get more preorders for the store (and secondarily for the clerk as it helps their numbers). If they give you the bonus but just pile it onto an existing preorder it doesn't help either them or GS, really.

[quote name='io']I don't think you can do that. You would need to make a new preorder for a different game the next time. But then I've never tried doing multiple trades for the same preorder. I think that's another thing that even if it is possible, is going to be YMMV depending on the clerk. After all, the point of the preorder promo is to get more preorders for the store (and secondarily for the clerk as it helps their numbers). If they give you the bonus but just pile it onto an existing preorder it doesn't help either them or GS, really.[/QUOTE]

Damn, that sucks... I got $30.80 for trading in one copy of BO2 towards the Last of Us. I was going to go back tomorrow and trade in another copy towards it to pay off the rest of it.

But wait.... It says this.

30% extra in-store credit when you trade any games, accessories, systems, smart phones, tablets and more toward:

• The Last of Us
Valid 5/20/13 - 6/02/13 Full trade amount must be applied toward the pre-order/purchase of a new copy of a participating game.

Therefore, shouldn't it work?

[quote name='BlockbusterGuy']What location is that? Zip code? And sorry about that, too bad people don't understand how business are suppose to be run.
Reminds me of the Boston market undercover boss episode...

I seriously sold about 50 games on my shift from 10 to 6 and I know I must of saw some of you guys there! So thank you for spending your money with us![/QUOTE]

The store was teays valley, wv 25560

Really a bummer as I had planned on buying alot from you guys during this sale.

[quote name='io']I don't think you can do that. You would need to make a new preorder for a different game the next time. But then I've never tried doing multiple trades for the same preorder. I think that's another thing that even if it is possible, is going to be YMMV depending on the clerk. After all, the point of the preorder promo is to get more preorders for the store (and secondarily for the clerk as it helps their numbers). If they give you the bonus but just pile it onto an existing preorder it doesn't help either them or GS, really.[/QUOTE]
You definitely can. Remember, the bonus is given by scanning the barcode from the promo book. Not by putting the money on the game. I've gotten the bonus before and put my credit on a different game that wasn't even part of the promo.;)

[quote name='klimb22']You definitely can. Remember, the bonus is given by scanning the barcode from the promo book. Not by putting the money on the game. I've gotten the bonus before and put my credit on a different game that wasn't even part of the promo.;)[/QUOTE]

I actually do those preorder promos so rarely that I didn't "remember" anything about a bar code. But now that you mention it, I think I saw the guy do that today which I thought was odd since every other promo is usually automatic (such that I get them even when the clerks aren't aware of them). But yeah, since it is the bar code scan that triggers the bonus and not the preorder (in whatever capacity) I guess you can double or triple dip on a single game. Too bad for me I paid off my preorder in full ;). Though that part is clear from the promo - you are supposed to put it all towards the preorder and not just $5 like normal. I was given the option to put $5 or all of it and I just went with all of it for the sake of convenience.

ThusSpokeZarathustra, in your case, you did put it all on there but still have some room to add more so maybe another trade towards it is valid. Again, though, it isn't a matter of whether it is possible or not, it is a matter of whether they will let you. Despite klimb22's past success, I could see many a GS clerk not allowing that to happen.

So, yeah, I've been so busy with this stuff today (and other non-game things going on) that I nearly forgot there was some sort of Xbox announcement today, right? I guess I better go read up on that ;).

bummer...it turns out the last store by me is closing, so no sale...all used games were 20% off instead (meh...) still didnt stop me from picking up:

Phantom Hourglass for 7.99
Pokemon Pearl 7.99
MvDK 2 March of Minis 5.59
Bayonetta 6.39
Ratchet and Clank Crack in Time 6.39

though I could have done a lot better with the sale...

[quote name='ThusSpokeZarathustra']Damn, that sucks... I got $30.80 for trading in one copy of BO2 towards the Last of Us. I was going to go back tomorrow and trade in another copy towards it to pay off the rest of it.

But wait.... It says this.

30% extra in-store credit when you trade any games, accessories, systems, smart phones, tablets and more toward:

• The Last of Us
Valid 5/20/13 - 6/02/13 Full trade amount must be applied toward the pre-order/purchase of a new copy of a participating game.

Therefore, shouldn't it work?[/QUOTE]

All you have to do, is cancel your existing preorder. Have them put the credit on your PUR card. Then do a new trade in and preorder it again. Then put that towards the game, and the credit on your card towards it also.

Very happy with my BBV today. Got two copy's of Black Ops 2 for 30, got the Nuke Town DLC, traded in one copy to Best Buy for 28. Also picked up 4 Blurays and they even swapped out the jewel cases. On top of that I still had $11 credit with that store that I forgot about so the Blurays cost me about $1 out of pocket.

Aw sweet Mary, I forgot about my 50% Bonus Trade Credit PUR coupon! I could have easily gotten over $180.

Oh well; too little too late. I probably won't be able to take full advantage of that coupon before it expires now.

My haul from the VA Beach, VA Blockbuster:

ALL TITLES ARE X360
--------------------------
007 Legends - $30
Batman Arkham City - $20
COD Black Ops 2 - $30 - FREE w/007 Legends
Deus Ex Human Revolution - $12 - FREE w/UFC Undisputed 3
Doom 3 BFG Edition - $20 - FREE w/ Batman AC
Gears of War 3 - $18
Ghost Recon Future Soldier - $18 - FREE w/ GoW 3
Mortal Kombat - $20 - FREE w/Saints Row the Third
Saints Row The Third - $28
Street Fighter X Tekken - $20
Syndicate - $18 - FREE w/ SFxT
UFC Undisputed 3 - $20

My BB has some Kirby Return to Dreamland. $60 for 3 wouldn't be too bad a deal actually...

Wait B1G1 now? That changes things!

Picked up Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed and Resident Evil 6 for $30. As a CAG, I know I could have done better, but just driving to two Blockbusters, cost of gas is definitely a consideration. Had to pick up something to justify driving this ridiculous distance.

[quote name='XeCuTioNR']My haul from the VA Beach, VA Blockbuster:

ALL TITLES ARE X360
007 Legends - $30
Batman Arkham City - $20
Gears of War 3 - $18
UFC Undisputed 3 - $20[/QUOTE]

A fellow Virginian :D. I used to love that store, found so many games there during the last sales.

I'm guessing you get the game in generic BBV case and no manual? Some sort of sticker on disc, do they come off easy or require a Walter White-esque knowledge of chemicals?

[quote name='johnston306']I'm guessing you get the game in generic BBV case and no manual? Some sort of sticker on disc, do they come off easy or require a Walter White-esque knowledge of chemicals?[/QUOTE]
All the copies I saw had cases. There's no sticker on the disc, but there's a preowned sticker on the corner of the case, and it's rather easy to get off. MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier than Gamestop.

And oh, by the way... anyone looking to cash in on Black Ops 2, they dropped the TiV to $20 today.

[quote name='ThusSpokeZarathustra']All the copies I saw had cases. There's no sticker on the disc, but there's a preowned sticker on the corner of the case, and it's rather easy to get off. MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier than Gamestop.

And oh, by the way... anyone looking to cash in on Black Ops 2, they dropped the TiV to $20 today.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, good info all around. I'll make a drive to the one in my area.

[quote name='XeCuTioNR']My haul from the VA Beach, VA Blockbuster:

ALL TITLES ARE X360
007 Legends - $30
Batman Arkham City - $20
Gears of War 3 - $18
UFC Undisputed 3 - $20[/QUOTE]

Sent you a PM, is that the Lynnhaven/Salem store? Or the one on Tidewater Dr?

[quote name='209chromatic']Can you get a refund if the game doesn't work? Or exchange only?[/QUOTE]
Exchange only, unfortunately. One of my discs had a scratch on it rendering the game unplayable and they refused to refund it. They'd only exchange it for an identical copy.

I only grabbed halo 4 and blops2. Figured I'd sell BO and make my halo 4 a little cheaper. I really didn't want to buy anymore and add to this gens backlog.

Question, has anyone ever had luck getting them to lower a price on something? I bought a bunch of stuff(collectables mostly, but also a few blus) on Saturday and would use the credit I get towards other stuff. Just curious if anyone thinks I'll have any luck or if it's an "All sales final" thing.

[quote name='tuffguycore']Question, has anyone ever had luck getting them to lower a price on something? I bought a bunch of stuff(collectables mostly, but also a few blus) on Saturday and would use the credit I get towards other stuff. Just curious if anyone thinks I'll have any luck or if it's an "All sales final" thing.[/QUOTE]

I've mixed results with that in the past, and that was when I was a regular and they knew me really well. I'd say the odds are slim at this point.

[quote name='ThusSpokeZarathustra']Exchange only, unfortunately. One of my discs had a scratch on it rendering the game unplayable and they refused to refund it. They'd only exchange it for an identical copy.[/QUOTE]

If its a corporate store that's wrong. You have a 30 day warranty anything wrong on use product you can
1. Get another copy
2. Get a different copy
3. Get your movie back
As long as you have your receipt! If not store credit

I got 2 black ops 2, one for ps3 one for xbox.

I also got dishonored (it was marked $39) $29 and got DOA:5 Free. The guy was cool and reduced the price because he said the price might drop on Sunday anyway.

Hit 2 stores over the last couple of days in the Cincinnati area (Tylersville and Eastgate). Not a real big haul.

Black Ops II x 2 (29.99)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (PS3) - 14.99
Lego Lord of the Rings DS - 17.99

Hit my local store up and grabbed 2 games, 4 blus, and a Goofy doll.
Black ops 2 x2 $29.99
Lawless blu $12.99
Zero dark thirty free
Fright night $9.99
Total recall free
Goofy $2.49
Gonna trade in one black ops to best buy for $29.

[quote name='AukeySeven']I also got dishonored (it was marked $39) $29 and got DOA:5 Free. The guy was cool and reduced the price because he said the price might drop on Sunday anyway.[/QUOTE]

Reduced the price on Dishonored or DOA 5?
Man, I would have for sure picked up Dishonored, it was marked $39 at my store.

So I decided to check on what is now the closest BBV store to me but is one that I had not been to in 4-5 years. Last time I went there it was a franchise store and had N64 and PS1 games for sale and didn't participate in the same sales.

Sure enough it is still the same way except that they had mostly PS2 games for sale now. They had a B1G1 on movies $7.99 or less and the Brave Blu-ray was priced $7.99 but I couldn't find another to pair it with.

However, I did snag one decent game. For whatever reason, they had Assassins Creed III Wii U for sale at $12.99. It was tagged and rang up that price. Now don't anyone get all excited, I'm pretty sure that will be $39.99 if not higher at a regular corporate Blockbuster. But that was just an oddball out of left field price, especially considering a lot of their crappy older games cost more than that.

Yeah, and they didn't have any of the toys and figures like the other store had so I didn't even ask about the 75% off sale on those.

It was really odd. If a normal Blockbuster is like a time capsule of the 1990's, this one appeared even older - like out of the 80's or something.

[quote name='brianace']Reduced the price on Dishonored or DOA 5?
Man, I would have for sure picked up Dishonored, it was marked $39 at my store.[/QUOTE]

Dishonored

[quote name='io']I've mixed results with that in the past, and that was when I was a regular and they knew me really well. I'd say the odds are slim at this point.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I tried anyway, appreciate it though. Apparently one of the girls wanted to as well and her store manager wouldn't let her.

So, because my backlog isn't big enough, I grabbed spider man edge of time and persona 4 arena for ps3 for about 20 paid

Went alittle crazy guys, they had a bunch of Black Ops 2, Zeldas, Kirbys Return, few Skyrims, and 2 Kirby Collections. Ended up getting 28 games for $447. Even got a free Coke from Traded 2 into Best Buy for $54.

[quote name='Abeja']Went alittle crazy guys, they had a bunch of Black Ops 2, Zeldas, Kirbys Return, few Skyrims, and 2 Kirby Collections. Ended up getting 28 games for $447. Even got a free Coke from Traded 2 into Best Buy for $54.[/QUOTE]

A little crazy??? LOL, that's more than what I spend in a year on games.

bread's done
Back