The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
That's funny, io. And crazy Abeja.

I went to a couple more stores today, bought a few more things, then made a run to GS for some trades. I think I'm probably done with this sale, barring price drops on Sat. I spent about $200 and came out with $110 in GS credit, 9 games to play, 4 Pop figures and 4 Mario figures.

I can't find the receipt with the Wii games right now so here are the 360
Doom 3 - $19.99
Game of Thrones - $17.99
Max Payne 3 - $19.99
Portal 2 - $19.99
Saints Row the Third - $27.99

[quote name='Gertle627']...barring price drops on Sat[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm counting on. There's a lot of stuff hovering at $34.99 and $39.99.

[quote name='Mega_Douche']A little crazy??? LOL, that's more than what I spend in a year on games.[/QUOTE]

I started a career so my gaming budget is damn near unlimited now. Now its time to flip the games.

[quote name='Gertle627']That's funny, io. And crazy Abeja.

I went to a couple more stores today, bought a few more things, then made a run to GS for some trades. I think I'm probably done with this sale, barring price drops on Sat. I spent about $200 and came out with $110 in GS credit, 9 games to play, 4 Pop figures and 4 Mario figures.

I can't find the receipt with the Wii games right now so here are the 360
Doom 3 - $19.99
Game of Thrones - $17.99
Max Payne 3 - $19.99
Portal 2 - $19.99
Saints Row the Third - $27.99[/QUOTE]

Can I request a name change to Loco Abeja?

I went yesterday and picked up:
Red Dawn Dvd
Tron Legacy dvd
12 rounds dvd
Fast Five blu ray
2 angry birds star wars plush
angry birds puzzle
Yoshi back pack
Mario pull car
luigi pull car
heat meiser figure
snow meiser figure

paid 37 dollars for all of it.
Might go today and see if they still have the yoda and Chewbacca star wars plush animals

Went by the two remaining Blockbusters in my city.

Couldn't find any games I couldn't absolutely live without. Street Fighter vs. Tekken, Spiderman Edge of Time, and Persona Arena 4 tempted me, but my backlog said nay.

Wife found a bunch of blu-rays though. Picked up:

Sherlock Holmes $9.99
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows Free ($9.99)

The Hobbit $12.99
Wreck-It Ralph Free ($12.99)

Underworld Awakening $9.99
Prometheus FREE ($6.99)

Amazing Spiderman $9.99
Ted FREE ($9.99)

Also picked up a Hello Kitty Plush and three Mario Kart (Mario, Luigi, and Peach) pull-back cars for my kids. I was almost tempted by some Halo, Boba Fett, and Southpark bobble heads, but I resisted the impulse.

[quote name='Abeja']I started a career so my gaming budget is damn near unlimited now. Now its time to flip the games.

Damn, well if you can, I would do it too!

Can I request a name change to Loco Abeja?[/QUOTE]
Yes, yes you can.

[quote name='209chromatic']How often do they have b1g1 on games?[/QUOTE]

They used to have them frequently but I think this is the first one in about a year. So who knows going forward what they will do.

This is the first time it's been on games over $14.99 though which made this a decent sale despite the much, much smaller selection (and by that I mean way fewer locations).

[quote name='theclaw']Based on my store it's weird how few people are finding Kirby.[/QUOTE]

The one store I was able to go to that is corporate at noon the first day had 4 Kirby Return to Dreamland, 3 Kirby Dream Collection, 2 or 3 Zelda Skyward Sword, and several BLOPS II for PS3 and 360. They didn't have a whole lot of other stuff that was under $30 though - maybe 15 to 20 other titles in single quantities.

[quote name='io']The one store I was able to go to that is corporate at noon the first day had 4 Kirby Return to Dreamland, 3 Kirby Dream Collection, 2 or 3 Zelda Skyward Sword, and several BLOPS II for PS3 and 360. They didn't have a whole lot of other stuff that was under $30 though - maybe 15 to 20 other titles in single quantities.[/QUOTE]

This was my store in a nutshell.
Simply grabbed abunch of Black Ops 2.

Apparently they had a sale on figures too.

I got Top Spin 4 and UFC Undisputed 3 for $20 today. Not a great deal, but whatever. There's still a decent selection at the only Buffalo store left near the Galleria.

Traded in my two black ops 2's to best buy from my first trip. Used that to buy a visa gift card. Picked up four more blurays and two more black ops. I think I'm done until prices drop.

[quote name='AukeySeven']There were a ton of BOP2 for Ps3 at the Burbank, CA BBV . FYI[/QUOTE]

Aww, you're in Burbank too? I already got 3 BLOPSes from 'em earlier in the week. Folks there are super nice.

My haul:
:360: Black Ops 2 $29.99
:ps3: (2) Black Ops 2 $29.99
:wii: Skyward Sword $29.99
:ps3: Spiderman Edge of Time $19.99
:360: Goldeneye Reloaded $19.99
:360: Portal 2 $19.99
:360: UFC Undisputed 3 $19.99

[quote name='Abeja']I started a career so my gaming budget is damn near unlimited now. Now its time to flip the games.

Can I request a name change to Loco Abeja?[/QUOTE]I like how you said your gaming budget is unlimited yet you are going to flip the games?

[quote name='Trojann']I like how you said your gaming budget is unlimited yet you are going to flip the games?[/QUOTE]

Sure why not? Im not a millionaire, and i dont spend my money on stuff besides games (except some of the herbal). Blockbuster is down the street and its nice to make some easy money. Threw a couple to Gamestop and got Amazon GC/Shell card. Its awesome to be able to use your hobby to pay for itself. I still feel guilty about spending shitloads of money on games, like the 40-50 Robokeys I bought, but I feel that way when I spend any amount of money.

Spent another $350 at another Blockbuster Video today on games to flip and got a few blu-rays for myself like Hobbit and Paranorman, and keeping an Epic Mickey 2 and Spiderman Edge of Time

My 5 year-old is playing the Kinect Star Wars I got from BBV right now. And I'm also keeping one of each Kirby game since I never picked those up before. I did trade a couple of BLOPS II in to GS and those paid for my Animal Crossing New Leaf preorder with enough left over for a $20 Nintendo eShop card. I'm happy with that as I figured my Blockbuster shopping days were long over - so I guess this is one last hurrah.

[quote name='io']My 5 year-old is playing the Kinect Star Wars I got from BBV right now. And I'm also keeping one of each Kirby game since I never picked those up before. I did trade a couple of BLOPS II in to GS and those paid for my Animal Crossing New Leaf preorder with enough left over for a $20 Nintendo eShop card. I'm happy with that as I figured my Blockbuster shopping days were long over - so I guess this is one last hurrah.[/QUOTE]

Everytime I think its a last hurrah, they keep bringing me back in. Otherwise the games will sit there until the Blockbuster closes. This company needs money put through the system now in order to stay open and I am not ashamed for spending close to $800 dollars for games/movies from them (and some plushies and got some games for me/friends/family) and then using it to profit. Are you serious?Like I said, both stores knew something was up but only cared for the business.

Oh, no doubt, when I just spent about $150 at BBV on Tuesday, the manager on duty was thrilled and said I was his new favorite customer. I was kind of shocked since I didn't really think it was all that much - but such is the state of Blockbuster these days ;).

[quote name='io']Oh, no doubt, when I just spent about $150 at BBV on Tuesday, the manager on duty was thrilled and said I was his new favorite customer. I was kind of shocked since I didn't really think it was all that much - but such is the state of Blockbuster these days ;).[/QUOTE]

I know it sucks. Growing up I rented alot of games/movies from Blockbuster as a kid (and got alot of late fees). If they didnt have something, Id call up Got It Video.

[quote name='Abeja']I know it sucks. Growing up I rented alot of games/movies from Blockbuster as a kid (and got alot of late fees). If they didnt have something, Id call up Got It Video.[/QUOTE]

Well, it wasn't that long ago (3-4 years) that around where I live there were competing Blockbusters and Hollywood Videos near each other, often within a block or two. And both would have awesome new and used game clearance sales (usually the used B1G1 at Blockbuster and the awesome all games under $30 for $5 at HWV). When HWV shut all its stores at once I thought BBV would rebound a bit since all the customers who still liked going in to stores would have to go over to them. But they blew that opportunity.

[quote name='Shimisi']Sorry... don't want to dig through the thread to figure it out... but are you guys flipping these BLOPS2 for like 3 bucks profit on each?[/QUOTE]

It's actually + $13.80 at Best Buy (50% and GCU) or + $13 at GameStop (30% trade promo and PUR Pro).

[quote name='io']Oh, no doubt, when I just spent about $150 at BBV on Tuesday, the manager on duty was thrilled and said I was his new favorite customer. I was kind of shocked since I didn't really think it was all that much - but such is the state of Blockbuster these days ;).[/QUOTE]

I haven't stepped foot inside of a blockbuster since the 5 for 25 bluray deal, but since this sale started I've spent over $100. If I worked there I'd have to bring my vita or something. 6 customers an hour is pretty depressing.

I just keep telling myself "I'll go tomorrow" but I cannot find the motivation to drive to the now-closest BBV. Waiting to hear further confirmation on drops (or the lack thereof) to determine if I do end up going today. Besides the flips, I don't really want anything.

I flipped a couple BLOPS this morning. Nice ~$21 profit at Best Buy (no need for any Gamestop credit). The Blockbuster here actually has customers and looks modern and isn't dirty. Considering I rented nearly their entire PS3 collection for free, I feel kinda obligated to help them.

[quote name='bgame2']I just keep telling myself "I'll go tomorrow" but I cannot find the motivation to drive to the now-closest BBV. Waiting to hear further confirmation on drops (or the lack thereof) to determine if I do end up going today. Besides the flips, I don't really want anything.[/QUOTE]

im in the same boat sort of, i'm waiting to hear about game drops because I'd prefer to make only one trip. If I lived near one, no problem but I have to go the distance to get to one and id be pissed to hear about drops after i go.

[quote name='bgame2']I just keep telling myself "I'll go tomorrow" but I cannot find the motivation to drive to the now-closest BBV. Waiting to hear further confirmation on drops (or the lack thereof) to determine if I do end up going today. Besides the flips, I don't really want anything.[/QUOTE]

Looks like there will be no price drops this week. I didn't get one this morning, and corporate is off Saturday thru Monday so sorry guys.

[quote name='invizibleskratchpikl']It's actually + $13.80 at Best Buy (50% and GCU) or + $13 at GameStop (30% trade promo and PUR Pro).[/QUOTE]

Wow. That's not bad at all. Thanks for the info.

[quote name='io']They used to have them frequently but I think this is the first one in about a year. So who knows going forward what they will do.

This is the first time it's been on games over $14.99 though which made this a decent sale despite the much, much smaller selection (and by that I mean way fewer locations).[/QUOTE]

IIRC the B1G1 sale always used to be based around a holiday weekend, so hopefully its comeback this weekend is a sign that it's back on the regular rotation!

I also saw some stores had a preorder display for upcoming games, so Blockbuster seems determined to stay in the gaming business for a while, anyway.

[quote name='dinovelvet']IIRC the B1G1 sale always used to be based around a holiday weekend, so hopefully its comeback this weekend is a sign that it's back on the regular rotation!

I also saw some stores had a preorder display for upcoming games, so Blockbuster seems determined to stay in the gaming business for a while, anyway.[/QUOTE]

Don't bet on it. It took us a while of whining complaining and bi****** for us to have the BOGO sale, they finally listen to us whats funny is that we didn't ask for 29.99 and under we were fine at 19.99 and under :bouncy:

[quote name='dinovelvet']IIRC the B1G1 sale always used to be based around a holiday weekend, so hopefully its comeback this weekend is a sign that it's back on the regular rotation!

I also saw some stores had a preorder display for upcoming games, so Blockbuster seems determined to stay in the gaming business for a while, anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, in fact I think they had a free $10 gift card or something for preordering. The thing is, with the way they keep closing stores, I would never preorder anything from them that doesn't come out until this Fall (they had cards for GTA V, etc).

[quote name='io']Well, it wasn't that long ago (3-4 years) that around where I live there were competing Blockbusters and Hollywood Videos near each other, often within a block or two. And both would have awesome new and used game clearance sales (usually the used B1G1 at Blockbuster and the awesome all games under $30 for $5 at HWV). When HWV shut all its stores at once I thought BBV would rebound a bit since all the customers who still liked going in to stores would have to go over to them. But they blew that opportunity.[/QUOTE]

This was around the time I joined CAG and one of the first B&M deals I got in on.

Went to one store but they still wanted 49 bucks for assassins creed 3. I was going to get it and blops2 ended up just getting a couple of blu rays for 6 dollars

Looks like someone hoarded all the blops2 at the store I went to. Ended up with persona 4 and pokemon battle for 10 each. Had a lone copy if $30 game but couldn't match it with anything to make it worth it. Also got some nightmare buttons and thought about some Mario swag.

[quote name='ets']Looks like someone hoarded all the blops2 at the store I went to. Ended up with persona 4 and pokemon battle for 10 each. Had a lone copy if $30 game but couldn't match it with anything to make it worth it. Also got some nightmare buttons and thought about some Mario swag.[/QUOTE]

Which store? So nobody else wastes gas

[quote name='ets']Looks like someone hoarded all the blops2 at the store I went to. Ended up with persona 4 and pokemon battle for 10 each. Had a lone copy if $30 game but couldn't match it with anything to make it worth it. Also got some nightmare buttons and thought about some Mario swag.[/QUOTE]

Huh I actually haven't seen that Persona game anywhere. Is it common? I'm usually seeing the same games at every BB, i.e. piles of : Blops2, Just dance 4, Skyrim, Anarchy Reigns, History Channel/Patton.

BB needs someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to ordering games. Why the hell does every store have six copies of a History Channel videogame? I can't imagine ANY of those have even been rented.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Huh I actually haven't seen that Persona game anywhere. Is it common? I'm usually seeing the same games at every BB, i.e. piles of : Blops2, Just dance 4, Skyrim, Anarchy Reigns, History Channel/Patton.

BB needs someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to ordering games. Why the hell does every store have six copies of a History Channel videogame? I can't imagine ANY of those have even been rented.[/QUOTE]

It's Persona 4 Arena, I picked it up and my son loves it. I don't like it because he kicks my buttons with Teddy

[quote name='dinovelvet']Huh I actually haven't seen that Persona game anywhere. Is it common? I'm usually seeing the same games at every BB, i.e. piles of : Blops2, Just dance 4, Skyrim, Anarchy Reigns, History Channel/Patton.

BB needs someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to ordering games. Why the hell does every store have six copies of a History Channel videogame? I can't imagine ANY of those have even been rented.[/QUOTE]

I'm one of those people who bought the History Channel game...

My Gamestop has a truck load of games sent to it from other Gamestops that have closed... Got Pokemon Black 2 and Halo 4 (for my brother). Yay.

bread's done
Back