The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dino88']The current sale is as good a sale as they've ever had, if not better.[/QUOTE]

Thought that sale had ended already...but i already hit up all the blockbusters around me for the games I want..so im not worried unless they got new games in...guess ill check tomorrow GOT DAMMIT

Store in Brookfield,WI on Calhoun & Capitol Drive has lots of games in the $19.99 & under range the only bad part is those damn dump bins they put them in so your going to dig.

Mine didn't have anything too crazy left, but I did manage to get Warhammer 40k: Space Marine for 7.50, Capcom vs Tetsui for 5.00, Battilon Wars 2 for 5.00 and a few no case games for 2.50(like FireFighter FD 18 and Nighty Nine Nights 2) so all in all, worth it. Might take another trip tomorrow just to see if anything else pops up, though I doubt it.

[quote name='Derrick1979']Store in Brookfield,WI on Calhoun & Capitol Drive has lots of games in the $19.99 & under range the only bad part is those damn dump bins they put them in so your going to dig.[/QUOTE]
Yes, thats the store I went to today ;). I made an even bigger mess of those things digging to the bottom for PS3 games.

[quote name='kanamit']Yes, thats the store I went to today ;). I made an even bigger mess of those things digging to the bottom for PS3 games.[/QUOTE]

I just grabbed a copy of Killzone 3.. was open to others but thought meh Ive seen them new at the same price as the sale price so I passed....

Those damn bins seem endless though so I dont know what might have been at the bottom.
What did you get?

[quote name='Derrick1979']I just grabbed a copy of Killzone 3.. was open to others but thought meh Ive seen them new at the same price as the sale price so I passed....

Those damn bins seem endless though so I dont know what might have been at the bottom.
What did you get?[/QUOTE]
Just Killzone 3 and Lego Pirates of the Caribbean. If you went after me you saw most of the PS3 games at the top because I dug as many from the bottom as I could lol. I saw a lot of other games I wouldn't have minded getting but most were $19.99 and I didn't want to pay $10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Price Drops/Changes!
For a time being, we're also doing a buy one get one 50% on games $24.99 and over. Be sure to confirm prices with your store.

$14.99:
- De Blob 2: Underground (PS3)
- Supremacy MMA (360)
- El Shaddai (360)

$19.99:
- Dance Central (360)
- The Cursed Crusade (360)
- Super Monkey Ball (3DS)
- Carnival Games Kinect (360)
- Thor (360)
- Battlefield 3 (360, PS3)
- Rayman Origins (PS3)
- NBA 2K12 (360, PS3)
- Silent Hill Downpour (PS3)
- Neverdead (360, PS3)
- Resident Evil Revelations (3DS)
- Game of Thrones (360, PS3)
- Men in Black 3 (360, PS3)
- Spec Ops: The Line (360, PS3 - labeled as Binary Domain)
- Lego Batman 2 (Wii)
- Wreck-it Ralph (Wii)
- Twisted Metal X (PS3)

$24.99:
- Ghost Recon Future Soldier (360, PS3)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3)
- Mass Effect 3 (PS3)
- Ninja Gaiden 3 (PS3, 360)
- MLB 12: The Show (PS3)
- Battleship (360, PS3)

$29.99:
- Max Payne 3 (360, PS3)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (360)
- Michael Jackson Experience (360)
- Spider-Man: Edge of Time (Wii)
- Disagea 4 (PS3)
- Kinect Star Wars (360)
- Wipeout 2 (360)
- Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (360, PS3)
- Inversion (360)
- Starhawk (PS3)
- UFC Undisputed 3 (360, PS3)
- MLB 2K12 (360)
- Sniper Elite V2 (360, PS3)
- Lego Batman 2 (360, PS3)
- Medal of Honor: Warfighter (360, PS3)
- Epic Mickey 2 (Wii)
- Doom 3 BFG Edition (360, PS3)
- Ben 10 Omniverse (360, PS3)
- Sonic & Sega Allstars Transformed (360, PS3)
- Persona 4 Arena (360, PS3)

$34.99:
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360)
- Prototype 2 (360, PS3)
- Saints Row: The Third (360, PS3)
- Kinect Sports Season 2 (360)
- Wipeout 2 Move (PS3)
- DBZ Ultimate Tenkaichi (360)
- Lollipop Chainsaw (360)
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 (360, PS3)
- Amazing Spider-Man (Wii)
- MLB 2K12 (PS3)
- Witcher 2 (360)

$39.99:
- Skyrim (360, PS3)
- Hitman: Absolution (360, PS3)
- Resident Evil 6 (360, PS3)
- Sleeping Dogs (360, PS3)
- Epic Mickey 2 (360, PS3)
- Dirt Showdown (360, PS3)
- Dead or Alive 5 (360, PS3)
- 007 Legends (360, PS3)
- Need for Speed MOst Wanted (360, PS3)

$44.99:
- Darksiders 2 (360, PS3)
- Amazing Spider-Man (360, PS3)
- WWE 13 (Wii)
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (WiiU)
- Dragon's Dogma (360, PS3)

$49.99:
- Dishonored (360, PS3)
- Far Cry 3 (360, PS3)
- NHL 13 (360, PS3)
- FIFA Soccer 13 (360, PS3)
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (360, PS3)
- WWE 13 (360, PS3)
- Madden 13 (WiiU)

[quote name='jdawgg76']300 stores are to be closed in the US.[/QUOTE]

One blockbuster near me closed and I didn't even know. Any list like the previous ones on ihateblockbuster?

[quote name='arsenal_fan']One blockbuster near me closed and I didn't even know. Any list like the previous ones on ihateblockbuster?[/QUOTE]

"The company will continue to operate about 500 stores in the United States, said Hall, who did not identify the locations of the stores slated for closure. He said some stores are being closed as their leases end, while others are being closed for under-performing." per CNN Money

Gee....

Isnt it amazing how what? Few months back I said BB would be closing a crap load?

Then Tuesday comes the announcement.

As I said, I said in another thread, I was in regional management for the former electronics boutique. After an issue with a local BB I spoke with Dish. I know how to "get up the ladder" at corporations as I was on one of those ladders in my years.

As I also noted in another thread, you are going to see the days of battle between Gamestop and BestBuy coming to an end. The two are in the business of making money, not making "flippers" money playing all sides off against one another, they profit and the businesses lose. Also, BB VG's are not profitable basically. They dont know what they are doing as they dont specialize in VG's. They dont specialize in anything. They are a consumer electronics retailer, thats it.

They too have been impacted with streaming businesses like NetFlix, Time Warner, DVR's. The "Video" market.

BB from what I have been told will undergo yet another reorganization but just as they have the "marketplace" online you will see those who are specialized taking over much of internal BB stores, consumers be none the less aware pretty much. Employees will still wear their Bestbuy uniforms, be BestBuy employee's even though the VG's will actually be Gamestop doing revenue shares. The appliances and audio areas too from what I heard are "up for grabs"

[quote name='sbaker44']Does blockbuster still do tradeins? I want to partake in this b1g1 bluray sale without spending money.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I did my last tade in back in December. You just have to find a team member that knows how to do one.

Anybody know if the buy 1 get 1 free sale is back on? I went into blockbuster today and the guy said he just hasn't put the signs up.Didn't really see anything good everything was priced to high. I think you can only get any game 19.99 and under as the free. Not sure though.

My local store is closing. I remember someone saying that those backer cards are worth a decent amount of money. They have a overflowing display of them, 20 for $1. How much are they selling for?

[quote name='chicho13_420']Anybody know if the buy 1 get 1 free sale is back on? I went into blockbuster today and the guy said he just hasn't put the signs up.Didn't really see anything good everything was priced to high. I think you can only get any game 19.99 and under as the free. Not sure though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='indomitable']Saw this in my local store today.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm. My local Blockbuster was having a B1G1 Free on all games 19.99 and under.

[quote name='jonathanp']I can confirm. My local Blockbuster was having a B1G1 Free on all games 19.99 and under.[/QUOTE]

Same is true in the metro Detroit area, although there are few left.

store is closing near me. Anything I should look out for or is it like all other store closing in which they jack up the prices to MSRP + 10%, then discount 10%

[quote name='nixmahn']store is closing near me. Anything I should look out for or is it like all other store closing in which they jack up the prices to MSRP + 10%, then discount 10%[/QUOTE]

Another one of my stores just closed. Even at their final day they didn't have a single thing worth getting, game wise. A couple of DECENT BD deals, but games were like $10 off MSRP for used games, and the highest they ever went was 30% off. Anything worth a damn was snatched up at 10-20% off. In most cases the used games were horribly abused and most of them could be found new for the $34.99 they wanted (49.99 after 30 off).

[quote name='Izod517']Another one of my stores just closed. Even at their final day they didn't have a single thing worth getting, game wise. A couple of DECENT BD deals, but games were like $10 off MSRP for used games, and the highest they ever went was 30% off. Anything worth a damn was snatched up at 10-20% off. In most cases the used games were horribly abused and most of them could be found new for the $34.99 they wanted (49.99 after 30 off).[/QUOTE]

Bummer, was really hoping for it tobe like the assessories clearance they had awhile back. Dodades for like pennies on the dollar but oh well, still check it out maybe.

Blockbuster said today 164 stores will be closing in addition to the closings they announced a few weeks ago. This will leave them with about 200 stores. fuck em.

my blockbuster is getting nuked as we speak. they have 20% off all games which is lame. of course the casuals snatched up the good stuff and the only good ps3 game left is persona 4 arena. ill see if i can wait it out to find stuff to trade in to gamestop and hope persona drops hard but other than that its just movie hunting for me. bye blockbuster :(

Just found out today that my local BBV is closing in a month. Sad! I spent many a dollar at that store on the crazy used game/blu ray sales. The employee there was a nice guy. Sorry to see it go...

I get back to the country after 6 months only to realize that I forgot to bring my copy of The Avengers with me (which my wife wanted to watch). So I go out for dinner and swing by the last Blockbuster in the area only to see that it is closing. No more rentals, no copies of The Avengers to at least buy, and bad sales on everything left.
I at least thought "This is the perfect opportunity to hit the 'International' section and grab a bunch of Chinese and Korean flicks," but nope. Nothing good left in that section and someone had even grabbed their copy of Versus from the Horror section.

Pretty disappointing but oh well. I'm about to leave the country for a while again, so maybe something cool can fill the store space, like a Moe's. I'm tired of driving an hour for a Moe's burrito...

[quote name='evildeadjedi']They are dropping like flies. There used to be around 14 stores in my area. Today, there are 7.[/QUOTE]

I went from 10 to 2 BBVs within 30 minutes in 3 years.

Used BD's are DVD's are now $7.99, used games are 20% off (still shitty price wise), and sleeve only (aka online rental) DVD's are $1.99 and BD's are $2.99. They easily had a 15-1 ratio of sleeve only DVD's to BD's.

When my store closed the prices were all HIGHER than they were ever when they were open! I don't know who runs these liquidations but I can't believe that customers are dumb enough to purchase things for much more than they are normally.

my closing blockbuster now has movies for 40% off and games 30% off. im waiting for koa reckoning and persona 4 arena to get cheap enough to flip to gamestop and theres a copy of singularity that i want to keep. its 9.99 before the discount so at around 50% off ill bite. my blockbuster is doing the liquidation for one more month. they also havesony hd tvs for 300$

[quote name='strait edge follower']my closing blockbuster now has movies for 40% off and games 30% off. im waiting for koa reckoning and persona 4 arena to get cheap enough to flip to gamestop and theres a copy of singularity that i want to keep. its 9.99 before the discount so at around 50% off ill bite. my blockbuster is doing the liquidation for one more month. they also havesony hd tvs for 300$[/QUOTE]

The display tv's? I've always wondered how many hours they've been on for their lifetime.

[quote name='strait edge follower']my closing blockbuster now has movies for 40% off and games 30% off. im waiting for koa reckoning and persona 4 arena to get cheap enough to flip to gamestop and theres a copy of singularity that i want to keep. its 9.99 before the discount so at around 50% off ill bite. my blockbuster is doing the liquidation for one more month. they also havesony hd tvs for 300$[/QUOTE]

The one by me has another 7 weeks or so of liquidation.

Blockbuster has already dropped below the critical mass they need to remain viable. They should just give up already and shut them all down. It has become a joke that they keep closing more and more stores. When they closed the 2 most profitable stores in my area a couple years ago that was definitely a sign of the end times.

But yeah, I wish I had 7 of 14 still remaining like evildeadjedi. We're down to 1 within 30 miles where there used to be 20-30. And for all I know, that one is now closing - I haven't been there in 6 months.

Edit: Ok, I looked it up. According to the store locator, there are actually 7 within 30 miles. But 5 of them are 20+ and aren't what used to be within my shopping radius. Probably within that 30 miles there were 40-50 stores 5 or 6 years ago. For sure they were a bit oversaturated back then (especially with a lot of Hollywood Videos amongst them too). But they reached a nice balance 3-4 years ago where there was just 1 for each reasonable (say 5 mile radius) local area. Now, they are "out of sight, out of mind" for most people. Lack of stores makes the online pass with store exchanges (their one big advantage over Netflix) pretty useless for most people.

[quote name='howard']The store locator still includes stores that are currently liquidating and shutting down, so you may have even fewer within 30 miles.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had considered that afteer I posted. I'd be curious to see but I'm not driving way out to check on them. I'll check on the closest 1 (really the only one that I ever went to with any regularity) when I'm in the area, but the others I'll wait a few months and see if they get removed.

Regardless, the point was that even before any of these close, there aren't enough.

I was going to make a new thread at some point but I think this will probably be the last one. An era has ended...

A Blockbuster near me is also closing down. Despite all the horror stories I'm hearing here about the prices, they told me that everything more expensive than $10 will drop down to $10, not counting hardware. Anything less than $10 will probably be 50% off or something.

bread's done
Back