The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the employees were helpful at that store. I've been to some pretty bad ones in the past but the two local stores out here are well run. (therefore not closing.) Couldn't find Wolfenstein for the 360 but got some good stuff with a decent selection left for possible future pickings.

Went to San Diego, CA BBV and asked about the $10 MS Point Card, they said they don't know about it and asked them to scan and check for me. They told me they couldn't scan it because once they do the card is activated. They also asked me where did I find out about this and which BBV location, and I said another state lol. I would love to buy one but I guess I'll just have to wait.

Hit up the two stores in Blue Springs, MO. Couldn't find a Crackdown 2, Alan Wake, or the two Resistance games, unfortunately. Still did pretty well, though! Certainly can't complain, as I managed to get all of these for ~$45, and then snagged Kingdom Hearts DS for ~$12 @ Target yesterday.

5759348261_08644cb155_z.jpg

[quote name='hawaiiboy']FYI, today's amazon trade in for the day is :wii: lego harry potter yrs 1-4 $18.[/QUOTE]

Very tempting. Picked it up yesterday as it was the only game I wanted to play (sluggers was going to get traded). But that TIV is really good.

I will be SUPER surprised if Force Unleashed II for ps3/360 doesn't get a drop this weekend. The sale is going through June 6th, I think ... and every location I went to had at least 10 copies for each platform (and a lot more for 360).

Also, YMMV, but a location I went to let me buy ANY used game and pair it with a $14.99 and under game, and gave me that $14.99 and under for free.

I basically have no money, so I couldn't go nuts:

I got Heavy Rain (19.99) + Lego Harry Potter (free)
Just Cause 2 (19.99) + Lego Harry Potter (free)

Total was around $43, so after trading in Lego Harry Potter ($36), I get Heavy Rain and Just Cause 2 for $7.

[quote name='ploppsdman']I will be SUPER surprised if Force Unleashed II for ps3/360 doesn't get a drop this weekend. The sale is going through June 6th, I think ... and every location I went to had at least 10 copies for each platform (and a lot more for 360).[/QUOTE]

I thought it was until Sunday...although originally it was reported it was just Fri-Sun too, so who knows. I hope it runs that long and I hope a lot more drop.

TFU II and Dead Rising 2 are the main ones that I hope drop...

[quote name='JKSonic']I thought it was until Sunday...although originally it was reported it was just Fri-Sun too, so who knows. I hope it runs that long and I hope a lot more drop.

TFU II and Dead Rising 2 are the main ones that I hope drop...[/QUOTE]

HIboy wrote the sale ends Monday, at the close of business. The dude I spoke with said June 6th, but that is when the blu-ray sale ends, so I'd trust HIboy. Regardless, price drops happen on Sunday, right? So there's still a few days left in the sale if those games drop.

So anyone know what the return policy is on games? As in if I bought a game monday, anyone think I'd have trouble returning and rebuying so I can get a free game?

Went to 2 different Blockbusters today. Managed to get: Killzone 2, Fallout New Vegas, and Enslaved on Ps3. Got Brothers In Arms:Hells Highway, Fallout New Vegas, and Lost Odyssey on 360. I may be open for trades if anyone is interested just message me. I am really hoping for a Dead Rising 2 or Mindjack drop.

[quote name='whoknows']So anyone know what the return policy is on games? As in if I bought a game monday, anyone think I'd have trouble returning and rebuying so I can get a free game?[/QUOTE]

You can return it up to 30 days with the receipt, I asked today because the FO:NV disc I got it was a tad scratched.

As for my luck, went to the same place I went yesterday, pretty much everything was still there (so blah 360/Wii/DS stash but the 360 stash including the wrongly priced FO:NV copies). I picked up FO: NV for my dad and got RE: Umbrella Chronicles (like someone else in this thread apparently, GOOD TASTE). I had a hard time deciding on my free $15 game, is RE: UC worth more than Kane + Lynch 2 or Singularity?

I gotta return my rental on Friday, so I'll probably go back for Bioshock 2 + Ghostbusters for $10. Loving the 50% off accessories sale (Wii RemotePlus = $20), so I might pick up a Classic Controller for $10, I got a universal remote for like $3. If you see the New price tag on something, just remember the 50% off is 50% off the price tag. Wii Sports Resort is included in 50% off, so you can get it $25 new (with a M+ attachment), if anyone's interested. No luck finding clamshell MSP cards, will look again on Friday. It's a shame how many BBVs around me are out of business.

Can't wait for a drop in some of the game prices/the rest of the rental games to go on sale. Epic Mickey for $30 used? Jeez.

Edit: Nunchucks are $10... that's kind of a steal. If you don't have any luck with finding a Remote+, you can always try Target's FlingSmash deal?

Edit 2: They are also selling new systems for 25% off, I saw a blue DS Lite on sale for 90something, and an old Xbox model on sale for $150.

Edit 3: FEAR 2 for $5 at K-mart (got it over the weekend) beats out BBV, I once got a copy of FEAR 2 during a BBV closing sale (10% off used), but it turns out they had lost the disc. -_-

Also, confirmed -> Someone in another thread was just discussing MoH's online-pass. Basically, you can play online but you can't access any new maps, modes, or DLC that comes out Post-release. Just like BF: BC2's VIP code, and it'll annoy the hell out of you too.

LONG POST IS LONG.

Picked up:
Fallout New Vegas x2 - $14.99

Just Cause :360: - $4.99
Splinter Cell: Double Agent :ps3: FREE (rang up for $9.99 but had a sticker for $4.99)

Really love these B1G1F games sales!

I know the $97 DS Lite has been mentioned, but a guy at my local store said all their consoles were 25% off (they didn't have that many). So, you might be able to get a PS3 for $225, for example.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']I had a hard time deciding on my free $15 game, is RE: UC worth more than Kane + Lynch 2 or Singularity?[/QUOTE]

Purchased KL2 on release day and was one of the worst games I ever played. Campaign was ok with the online co-op but a lot of glitches and the mulitplayer is hard to get a game started last time I played which was a month after release.

Most of the BBV close to me are gone and had to drive about 10 miles only to find 10 - 20 FONV and Bioshock 2. Might try another one tomorrow

Yeah, I heard the single-player was atrocious and the multiplayer was good enough. I have plenty of people available for split-screen/local co-op, does that make it worth it? Do you think RE: UC kicks the crap out of it? xD I really need a Wii Zapper or two...

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Yeah, I heard the single-player was atrocious and the multiplayer was good enough. I have plenty of people available for split-screen/local co-op, does that make it worth it? Do you think RE: UC kicks the crap out of it? xD I really need a Wii Zapper or two...[/QUOTE]

I think watching paint dry kicks the crap out of KL2. I played RE: UC and had a lot of fun with my cousins but we're fans of rail shooters. Only issue was if I go off screen to the right to reload it messes up the aim not sure how to correct this on the wii.

Whole reason I was so excited about RE: UC was because I love rail-shooters. I'm sold, thanks! Singularity doesn't interest me enough as a SP game.

These sales are the only time I walk into BBV. My closest store had nothing of interest, except Bioshock2 ($10). May check 2 more nearby stores, but my backlog is still a little high from the last Gamestop B2G1, plus I just got LA Noire yesterday and Infamous2 coming in 2 weeks

Just a heads up for So-Cal North county Cag's . Oceanside BB ( corner of college and oceanside blvd ) has 5 $10.00 Xbox 1600 point cards . I didnt feel right scooping them all up so i just got four . Good Luck !!!

Awww, how nice. : D It's kinda cool that you could make your money back on the MSP cards, though. Bioshock 2 for $5 is pretty solid, but I'm waiting on my Walmart copy of LA Noire.

Are they clearing out game accessories or something? I haven't been keeping up much on this topic but Nun-chuck sounds interesting to pick up if I can find some. I'm tempted on stopping by.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Awww, how nice. : D It's kinda cool that you could make your money back on the MSP cards, though. Bioshock 2 for $5 is pretty solid, but I'm waiting on my Walmart copy of LA Noire.[/QUOTE]
Nah I needed the points anyways so im stoked :) I can now get the Halo reach Maps I've been lagging on .

A few more Amazon flips for Wii:

Batman Brave and Bold - from 5 (BBV) to 8 (Amazon)
Marvel Super Hero Squad The Infinity Gauntlet - from 5 to 8
Jeopardy - from 5 to 9.50
New Carnival Games - from 7.50 to 13.50

Ended Up getting Metal Gear Solid 4 and Rachet & Clank Future A Crack in Time for $15, no Microsoft point cards on sale unfortunately.

I picked up Batman Brave and Bold tonight as well. I wasn't even aware it was part of the sale let alone $9.99. I've heard good things about it so I'll probably just keep it. The $3 flip to Amazon isn't really worth the trouble ;).

[quote name='Stimes']Ended Up getting Metal Gear Solid 4 and Rachet & Clank Future A Crack in Time for $15, no Microsoft point cards on sale unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

Lucky, I sure hope I can find a copy of MGS4 before this sale is over. So far I've gotten:

:360:
Enslaved

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed 2
God of War 3
Folklore
Army of Two

:wii:
House of the Dead 2 & 3

Plus grabbed 15 Blu Ray movies so far. Going back tomorrow to check for accessories/point cards. Thanks to everybody for the thread!

[quote name='io']I picked up Batman Brave and Bold tonight as well. I wasn't even aware it was part of the sale let alone $9.99. I've heard good things about it so I'll probably just keep it. The $3 flip to Amazon isn't really worth the trouble ;).[/QUOTE]

It's a fun, albeit short game. I bought it for $15 at Target and it was well worth it, especially if you're into the humor of the show. For $5 (after B1G1), there's no question you got a good deal. Just make sure to either play it with a child or someone that doesn't play video games much... it's incredibly easy and kind of boring to a hardcore gamer.

EDIT: No luck finding Lego Harry Potter for Wii and New Carnival Games was marked $19.99. Didn't feel like having the cashier ring it up since I didn't have anything to pair it with anyway. I did find a wireless Xbox 360 headset for $20.00 (65% off) that I might go back for.

Man o_O, went to a BBV on the other side of town earlier while visiting a friend. Ended up finding a second Beautiful Katamari (For a friend), and Pokemon Diamond (Was without a case, and was only 9.99 for some reason).

Pretty much done with the sale unless theres more good drops sunday. Either way, im more than happy with my finds. Been playing the crap out of Prince of Persia (And loving it)

i wanna give thanks to Hawaiiboy and every other cag member who has contributed to their findings at bbv!

Managed to pick up quite a few games to add to the backlog

:ps3:
motorstorm pacific rift
assassins creed II
Fallout vegas
Fallout 3
Bayonnetta
Darksiders
Wet
Dead to rights
monsters vs aliens

:wii:
Warioland
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

Also managed to pick up xbl 4000 points at 50% off $25 total and
2 $50 dollar psn cards for $50

Great sale as i hope to use the psn cards for mappacks dlc and other items when the psn store is back up

Thank you all for being a great community :bouncy:

This is probably completely YMMV, but I snagged two Wii Remote Plus controllers for $10 each (marked as such).

This was at the Gulf to Bay location in Clearwater, Fla.!

[quote name='trailmix10']
Also managed to pick up xbl 4000 points at 50% off $25 total and
2 $50 dollar psn cards for $50[/QUOTE]

Those PSN cards any different from the normal cards we see in retail stores? I don't remember there being an "old" version of PSN cards, so I'm not sure how they could've gotten a 50% discount. If it applies to the regular cards, might time to grab a few to get prepare for PSN's return.

Not so lucky. Went in to try and get a Nunchuck. Shocked that they had 1. No price so asked them to check and guy told me they are half off. Nothing showed up so the other worker had to try and find the price. She said it was 40 bucks normal so I'll pay 20 with discount. I'm sure she looked up the wrong item but didn't want to argue. Best I don't spend money. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow morning.

Two interesting happenings for me locally. The first Blockbuster I visited had a few prepacked titles, with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II being the only noteworthy title. Today, I stopped by the location near my job, which had a copy of Two Worlds II marked as Two Worlds (priced at $6.99). Unfortunately, the disc that they had on file was for Two Worlds. :whistle2:( So close!

[quote name='JustinSaneV2']There's a sale on Xbox/PSN points cards? Details please? I've checked a few pages back and I can't seem to find any details.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Some people are finding them at half off at their stores.

[quote name='JustinSaneV2']There's a sale on Xbox/PSN points cards? Details please? I've checked a few pages back and I can't seem to find any details.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

From what I can tell, its only the older style cards in clamshell/plastic packaging that are on sale, NOT the cards that are hanging on the racks out in the open

Well, so far I turned $75 at Blockbuster into $86 gamestop credit plus Wii New Carnival Games, Wii Carnival Games Mini Golf, Splinter Cell Conviction, Alan Wake and Dead to Rights Retribution PS3.

Pretty nice. Those games I mentioned are ones I tried out and am going to keep and play. The others I bought I tried and didn't like...although I did get another Dead to Rights specifically to flip since it's worth $14 or so after trade 3 bonus.

[quote name='dinovelvet']From what I can tell, its only the older style cards in clamshell/plastic packaging that are on sale, NOT the cards that are hanging on the racks out in the open[/QUOTE]

i got the ones on the rack in the open next to some artwork frame stuff no clamshell at all they are the new type where you scratch the back to get code and is not activated till paid at register

Oddly enough, most of the BBVs here in the Whittier area seem to lack PS3 games for this sale, the one in La Habra was loaded with Wii/360 games, but not one PS3 title (14.99 and under) in sight. Similar situation in the Pico Rivera BBV on Whittier Blvd. :whistle2:k

Picked up Mass Effect 2 and Dead to Rights on Xbox, though. Good enough for me.

[quote name='trailmix10']i got the ones on the rack in the open next to some artwork frame stuff no clamshell at all they are the new type where you scratch the back to get code and is not activated till paid at register[/QUOTE]

That's what's I wanted to hear, I might have to go back and try. Has anyone else had luck with the non-clamshell cards?

[quote name='Stimes']That's what's I wanted to hear, I might have to go back and try. Has anyone else had luck with the non-clamshell cards?[/QUOTE]

They had all the xbox live and point cards right in front of the register with sign 50% off and also the rack in the back had the same sign in small writing. some cool artwork 50% off as well. i kinda want to go back to the store and get some more!

Picked up the same ps3 stuff as everyone else here (mgs 4, midnight club la, force unleased, ratchet, new vegas, etc.)

But I did notice a problem w/ all the used games at my 4 local blockbusters. The games in previous sales were in near-mint condition because they all had just the small square "used $14.99" stickers at the bottom right of the case that are easily removed and didn't wear out the plastic cover.

However, all the games now additionally have worn plastic in a rectangular strip at the bottom where seemingly hard to remove rectangular stickers were removed by employees. I'm pretty disappointed that all the games now have ruined plastic covers.

Are you guys experiencing the "worn out rectangular strip syndrome" in regards to your covers or are they still "near-mint" at your local stores?

[quote name='ayepapajohn']Went to San Diego, CA BBV and asked about the $10 MS Point Card, they said they don't know about it and asked them to scan and check for me. They told me they couldn't scan it because once they do the card is activated. They also asked me where did I find out about this and which BBV location, and I said another state lol. I would love to buy one but I guess I'll just have to wait.[/QUOTE]

Oh noes competition lol

[quote name='imacgod']Wow. Non-clameshell versions 50% off. BBV just got cooler.[/QUOTE]
It's definitely YMMV, just had my wife try to buy a 4000 point card and it rang up full price, lol. The employee said "no, we don't put those on sale" to her. oh well she picked up Skate and Skate 2 (PS3) for 10 bucks for me.:lol:

no sale on MS point cards at my blockbuster. manager said they wouldnt count as accessories, and i even asked him to scan it to check... it was regular price

[quote name='Stimes']It's definitely YMMV, just had my wife try to buy a 4000 point card and it rang up full price, lol. The employee said "no, we don't put those on sale" to her. oh well she picked up Skate and Skate 2 (PS3) for 10 bucks for me.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Seconded, def. YMMV, but I'll try again on Friday. And they're clearing out everything, not just game accessories, but I suppose that's their focus along with the used games at the moment. Nunchucks are $20, that bitch was whack, and Wii Remote+ for $10 is ridiculous.

Also, @ DG

Which Prince of Persia?

bread's done
Back