The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
If anybody's going out today, could you confirm that the b1g1 is over? I know employees were saying that it ended yesterday but maybe they're wrong.

[quote name='sotc1988']If anybody's going out today, could you confirm that the b1g1 is over? I know employees were saying that it ended yesterday but maybe they're wrong.[/QUOTE]

Hawaiiboy doesn't do wrong.

If anyone finds the Ken Follett tv series Pillars Of The Earth, discs 1+2 on DVD during this $.99 sale and would like to trade or let me buy them from them at cost + shipping, I'd be ever so grateful.

My store got in disc 3 ONLY of the set.:roll: I didn't pick it up yet cuz I don't know if I can get my hands on the first two discs or not.

Still on today at the one store I found... My haul (for $20.79 total):

Funny people
District 9
Armored
She's Out of My League
Halloween II (Zombie)
Sex and the City 2
The Orphanage
Trick 'r Treat
Reign Over Me
Drag Me to Hell
Bad Lieutenant
The Soloist
100 Feet
Wolfman (Hopkins/Del Toro)
Sunshine Cleaning
Duplicity
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Untraceable
Lakeview Terrace
Prom Night (2008)

They had tons of extras of most of these and lots of other stuff I didn't pick up. She said they were on sale until they were gone...

I missed a good lot of them. She got more than any other store. She said she sold over 500 yesterday. One guy bought over 100 - and like 6 copies of Expendables (there were none left) and a bunch of others. Oh well. I'm happy with my haul. I have plenty of stuff to watch now but now I need replacement cases
icon_smile.gif

(Reposted from BR forum - to confirm sale still on)

Hawaiiboy, now that Nintendo has dropped the MSRP of DS Lites to $99.99, does that mean Blockbusters will follow suit? Could you theoretically find a $75 DS Lite right now (and consequently lower on those later dates)?

[quote name='imacgod']Hawaiiboy, now that Nintendo has dropped the MSRP of DS Lites to $99.99, does that mean Blockbusters will follow suit? Could you theoretically find a $75 DS Lite right now (and consequently lower on those later dates)?[/QUOTE]

Msrp does not drop until June 5th

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Dude, Red Cliff is one of the best movies I've seen over the last 5 years. I have the UK Region Free Single-disc special edition and have watched it a few times already. It's fantastic.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't change the fact that I've never heard of it ;). I'll have to look it up online and see what the deal is.

[quote name='JKSonic']Was my store the only one that had the really cheap DVDs out but not BRs? I can't imagine why corporate would send them DVDs and not BRs.
[/QUOTE]

No - that was what the majority of stores got. Only a few (1 out of 6 or 7 in my area - and all up in the same corner of the metro area - stupid) got the cheap blu-rays.

[quote name='hellbringer333']Msrp does not drop until June 5th[/QUOTE]

Ah yes. Right. So how about $50 DS Lites starting June 6th (the next clearance drop), Hawaiiboy? :D

For those who are wondering about whether B1G1 is over, I can say that in my area it is NOT over. I spoke to a BBV manager who wasn't really sure when it'll be over but she was guessing June 6. I also managed to find some 1600 MS point cards after not finding them last week. The manager fished them out of a drawer behind the counter after I asked about them. If you are looking for these and/or Nintendo points, I highly suggest asking the manager since it seems they don't always put these out (for fear of theft I'm sure).

If we can get a confirmation of the B1G1 ringing up automatically (as opposed to a manual override since the signs are still up or something) then I'll put it back in the title. Hopefully it runs one more week and we get some drops this weekend!

Staraang21 - not sure if you actually bought anything and saw it ring up auto or if the manager just told you it was still going but you didn't buy anything.

[quote name='io']If we can get a confirmation of the B1G1 ringing up automatically (as opposed to a manual override since the signs are still up or something) then I'll put it back in the title. Hopefully it runs one more week and we get some drops this weekend!

Staraang21 - not sure if you actually bought anything and saw it ring up auto or if the manager just told you it was still going but you didn't buy anything.[/QUOTE]

It was just the manager telling me. I didn't buy anything since I already got everything I wanted last week and they didn't put out anything new. I can confirm the 50% off accessories since I did get the MS points at half price.

Cheapest. I'm pretty sure I saw those at one of my two stores yesterday. I will check tonight to see if they are still there at the store closest to me.

[quote name='hellbringer333']I had a horrible experience at a couple locations.

One place this weird employee walks to me and says everything 14.99 and under is buy one get one free. So I got a 9.99 and 6.99 game. I go check out and he is like...it will be 23.00. I said what? He just looks at me. Then proceeds to tell me that you have to buy a 14.99 game for the deal to work. I called him a dumbass and left. Didn't even bother to ask the math used to get to 23$.[/QUOTE]

The only thing I can think of is he might have been an idiot and scanned the barcode on the back of the actual game cover art instead of scanning the BBV barcode sticker. By doing this, he scanned the games like they were brand new, which would make the prices higher and make it so that they don't qualify for the B1G1. The numbers still don't really add up to what he says, but that's my theory anyway. This would have to be a really really ignorant employee to do that though. I can't think of any other explanation.

Went back to exchange a BR that didn't load and was told that DVDs are still 99 cents, BRs went back up to 5.99.

[quote name='Toss']Went back to exchange a BR that didn't load and was told that DVDs are still 99 cents, BRs went back up to 5.99.[/QUOTE]

Did they let you exchange the blu ray? How did it go?

The Blu-rays I bought with the awesome Viva Elite cases from Discmakers.com (they are the same exact ones most companies use)

img20110531155917.jpg

:lol:, I just went through the metacritic scores of some of the blu-rays I picked up yesterday and they are atrocious. I guess that's why they were still there at 3pm...

Without exception all the "romantic comedies" I picked up for my wife and daughter were bad (34 and lower). I did good in getting District 9 and Red Cliff, though, apparently. Unfortunately it doesn't look like either of those are movies I can watch with the kids (even my teenager).

I am definitely going to make more of an effort to hit up those far-away BBVs that they deem to give these things to a little earlier next time.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']cool so the .99 cent sale is still on? gonna hit up a few bbv's tomorrow. that's awesome.[/QUOTE]

You might want to read like 4 posts above yours. YMMV. Hope this helps.

The smart thing to do is simply call the BBV you're planning to visit so that you're not wasting your time driving there only to receive a blank stare when you ask them where the 99 cent BDs are.

[quote name='bgame2']Cheapest. I'm pretty sure I saw those at one of my two stores yesterday. I will check tonight to see if they are still there at the store closest to me.[/QUOTE]
Cool. Now I just have to hope that disc 3 didn't disappear since earlier today.:cry: I didn't wanna buy it unless I knew I could get the other two discs in the set without much of a hassle.

Thanks for checking(to anyone who checked for the Pillars Of The Earth discs 1+2 for me).

[quote name='io']:lol:, I just went through the metacritic scores of some of the blu-rays I picked up yesterday and they are atrocious. I guess that's why they were still there at 3pm...

Without exception all the "romantic comedies" I picked up for my wife and daughter were bad (34 and lower). I did good in getting District 9 and Red Cliff, though, apparently. Unfortunately it doesn't look like either of those are movies I can watch with the kids (even my teenager).[/QUOTE]

im sure your kids will love the prawns.

Thanks HB for the info. Was able to pick up 7 dvds plus supernatural season 2 for 8 bucks. Also picked up Crackdown 2 and Rock Band 3. Crackdown 2 is surprisingly fun and I'm enjoying it. Its nice to take a break from Black Ops.

[quote name='Cerebral_One']Which XBL/Wii/PSN cards are 50% off, all of them or just old style ones packaged in plastic?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know the ones packaged in plastic are the only ones that are 50% off, hope that helps.

[quote name='JmyHny']As far as I know the ones packaged in plastic are the only ones that are 50% off, hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I may go to local BBV tomorrow to try to get some cheap movies, I doubt they will have any cards but I'll definitely check.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Did they let you exchange the blu ray? How did it go?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was no problem. They just let me grab a different movie.

[quote name='Toss']Yeah it was no problem. They just let me grab a different movie.[/QUOTE]

Wow, a different title? or a different copy of the same movie? I haven't had a chance to go through and make sure all of mine are in good condition yet. If any are somehow scratched, it's just .99 cents. But if it's a movie I really really like, I'll be going back for another copy.

I picked up the following today from my closest BBV:

icondvdpng.png
Pillars Of The Earth Disc 3(need discs 1+2:pray:)
icondvdpng.png
Futurama: Bender's Game
iconbluraypng.png
Law Abiding Citizen
iconbluraypng.png
Twilight: New Moon

They had like 3-4 other copies of Twilight: New Moon at my closest store, but unless you wanted a full set of certain seasons of LOST they had jack and shit otherwise. It was mostly broken up TV boxsets.

Definitely still looking for discs 1+2 of Pillars Of The Earth still though.;)

[quote name='Envel']The Blu-rays I bought with the awesome Viva Elite cases from Discmakers.com (they are the same exact ones most companies use)

img20110531155917.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I would have bought Mean Girls and probably Bride Wars had I seen any, lol.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Wow, a different title? or a different copy of the same movie? I haven't had a chance to go through and make sure all of mine are in good condition yet. If any are somehow scratched, it's just .99 cents. But if it's a movie I really really like, I'll be going back for another copy.[/QUOTE]

Returned stranger than fiction, picked up quantum of solace. The defective disc had a bunch of tiny dots all over it, not on the surface but in the disc. Kinda looked like the way mold or bacteria grow.

My blockbuster took down the sale signs so the sale is over for buy one get one. Not much we left though just junk and about 30 copies of FONV.

I am happy I scored 6 Wii games for $35 using the sale. The 360 and PS3 selection was crap.

Went to blockbuster a few days ago, saw that they had Fallout New Vegas at 24.99 on PS3 and 14.99 for xbox. I told the manager and he matched the prices at 14.99.I went on to buy 2 copies of Fallout NV and I knew a friend at work REALLY wanted it so I told him to pay me 15 and it's his.He countered with trading it for Red Dead Redemption. Quite the deal. RDR and Fallout NV for $16.05. Thank you thread!

[quote name='doodmandood']Went to blockbuster a few days ago, saw that they had Fallout New Vegas at 24.99 on PS3 and 14.99 for xbox. I told the manager and he matched the prices at 14.99.I went on to buy 2 copies of Fallout NV and I knew a friend at work REALLY wanted it so I told him to pay me 15 and it's his.He countered with trading it for Red Dead Redemption. Quite the deal. RDR and Fallout NV for $16.05. Thank you thread![/QUOTE]

Did you give him some complimentary lubricant at least? They probably had some for sale @ 50% off at Blockbuster.

[quote name='buster90']My blockbuster took down the sale signs so the sale is over for buy one get one. Not much we left though just junk and about 30 copies of FONV.

I am happy I scored 6 Wii games for $35 using the sale. The 360 and PS3 selection was crap.[/QUOTE]

Probably because I snatched them all up. ;) I grabbed about 20 games in total around Dallas in this sale. Only 2 duplicates (Terminator Salvation & The Club) so I could play them with a buddy. Mostly picked up old games I never got a chance to play; couldn't turn them down at $6.99 & $9.99 B1G1Free.

No Wii games though; curious what you got? I only had a few I was looking for, none of which turned up.

looks like 99 cent BDs are gone in my area too. went up to 5.99. 99 cent DVDs were still there though. of note, accessories are still 50% off. picked up more points cards and a sixaxis controller.

[quote name='PhoenixAZ']Did you give him some complimentary lubricant at least? They probably had some for sale @ 50% off at Blockbuster.[/QUOTE]

good to see this site is mature

carry on

[quote name='fortunado']Probably because I snatched them all up. ;) I grabbed about 20 games in total around Dallas in this sale. Only 2 duplicates (Terminator Salvation & The Club) so I could play them with a buddy. Mostly picked up old games I never got a chance to play; couldn't turn them down at $6.99 & $9.99 B1G1Free.

No Wii games though; curious what you got? I only had a few I was looking for, none of which turned up.[/QUOTE]

I got Batman, Mario Strikers, Wario World, No more heros 2, Jeopardy, and Star Wars Force Unleashed 2. Most were from the Rowlett, TX store though. 2 were from Dallas.

Picked up some movies: 2 .99 dvds and 5 blurays for 20. did not see any .99 bluray, no game cards in plastic, b1g1 games not in effect. will post movie titles if someone wants me to for some reason.

[quote name='doodmandood']good to see this site is mature

carry on[/QUOTE]

Dood, a mature friend would give the game at cost or less. The advantage of friends in this case is it is easier to match up the games in the B1G1 when you split up with each others lists. You seem to miss the point that a "friend" would not profit 100% off of his "friend".

[quote name='whatup5']Scored me a Xbox 360 4gb w/ Kinect Bundle for $150.......couldn't really believe it when I saw it....[/QUOTE]

There are some really strange, mismarked deals out there. I saw a PS3 slim the other day at one of the Gamerush stores though they said it hadn't been marked down yet. It seemed like the employees had already picked out everything they wanted to buy from the sale (console/accessory) and were waiting for the 50% off axe to drop. Apparently they get a 20% employee discount that stacks giving them 70% off anything.

I picked up two Tivo HD's for $25 each whereas at another store they were marked $99 each still. Just the luck of the draw I guess?

I picked up two Tivo HD's for $25 each whereas at another store they were marked $99 each still. Just the luck of the draw I guess?

They were $25 its just that store just didn't tag them with the markdown price. Price drops are universal at all corporate stores its just some stores are bad about keeping up with reprices.

If anyone can find systems like whatup5 did they are all marked down. The :ps3: 80gb transformer bundle is $175. Ymmv in finding any systems as most stores haven't stocked them in a long time.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']If anyone can find systems like whatup5 did they are all marked down. The :ps3: 80gb transformer bundle is $175. Ymmv in finding any systems as most stores haven't stocked them in a long time.[/QUOTE]

That must be old. I don't even remember that one. :)

bread's done
Back