The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bgame2']That must be old. I don't even remember that one. :)[/QUOTE]

Same here. A friend got his for 75. Store closed and he was a employee there

[quote name='yourlefthand']Anybody know how much the toshiba blu-ray players are marked down to? My store has it marked $150.[/QUOTE]

I think i saw it for $80 or $90, but not sure if it was a toshiba.
U should wait until black friday or unless its on sale at retail.

I went to Blockbuster again today and saw the older model PS3 blutooth headsets for 25 dollars. they had about 6 or 7 of them. I also saw an old 360 arcade for 100 dollars. I have no idea if thats a good price for it or not. It only has 256mb.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']They were $25 its just that store just didn't tag them with the markdown price. Price drops are universal at all corporate stores its just some stores are bad about keeping up with reprices.

If anyone can find systems like whatup5 did they are all marked down. The :ps3: 80gb transformer bundle is $175. Ymmv in finding any systems as most stores haven't stocked them in a long time.[/QUOTE]

Oh my I saw 3 the other day I would kill to get one at that price!

@hawaiiboy, do you know if any of the $12.99 pre-viewed blu-rays will be dropping soon? There are a few movies that I'd like to pick up for cheap as part of the 5 for $20 sale:)

@hawaiiboy, do you know if any of the $12.99 pre-viewed blu-rays will be dropping soon? There are a few movies that I'd like to pick up for cheap as part of the 5 for $20 sale

No blu ray price drops this week. Just a reminder blu ray sale ends on mon.

Also general merchandise stuff goes to 75% off on Monday 6/5.

Big game reprice list that is too long to list right now so I'll have it up this evening unless I get a chance at work today.

Are the headphones considered general mechandise, or is that just books, artwork, action figures, crap like that?

Any idea of Blockbuster will follow suit and drop the DS Lite to $99 as well on June 6th? If I could actually find a store selling a DS Lite, that would be a great deal at 50% off.

[quote name='imacgod']Any idea of Blockbuster will follow suit and drop the DS Lite to $99 as well on June 6th? If I could actually find a store selling a DS Lite, that would be a great deal at 50% off.[/QUOTE]

Isnt that the new price for a DS Lite now? It drops from 130 to 99?

[quote name='boneless']All the tivos have a "Blockbuster on demand" sticker. Is that something still current or not anymore?[/QUOTE]

I asked this earlier in the thread and would like to know as well. I think its was 12-month thing for buying it. Wouldnt be bad if you got 12-months with the purchase for $25.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about regular non-bundle PS3 systems? There's one down the street here on the shelf at BBV but I never thought to ask if it had a clearance sticker on it.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']No blu ray price drops this week. Just a reminder blu ray sale ends on mon.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. I guess I'll wait for that rumored July 4th blu-ray sale. I hope those $12.99 titles do drop by then:)

Wait, I'm confused about what console deals are currently out there. Is everything marked down even if the employees don't know it, or are there just some specific bundles on clearance?

[quote name='exopuppy']Wait, I'm confused about what console deals are currently out there. Is everything marked down even if the employees don't know it, or are there just some specific bundles on clearance?[/QUOTE]

I'm confused as to exactly what's priced down as well...seems like a lot of stuff and some stuff that would even be worth driving a decent distance for, but don't want to waste my time either.

[quote name='DJP519']Will DS and PS3 systems drop to 75% off, or is 50% off the final step for them? Thanks!![/QUOTE]
Here's the clearance schedule(from Hawaiiboy's post) that I copy/pasted to Word for my own use. I'll repost this every so often just so we can all keep track of when shit is gonna drop.

[quote name='Hawaiiboy']here is a timeline of all the clearance crap we have. lucky for all u folks finding game accessories as our district hasnt had any systems or accessories for at least a couple years.

General Merchandise
May 24 – June 5 50% Off
June 6 – June 19 75% Off
June 20 – June 26 90% Off
June 27 – July 3 Product Return

Select Game Strategy Guides
May 24 – June 26 50% Off
Game Accessories

May 24 – June 5 50% Off
June 6 – June 19 50% Off
June 20 – June 26 75% Off

Game Hardware and Software
May 24 – June 5 25% Off
June 6 – June 19 50% Off
June 27 – July 3 Product Return [/quote]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Here's the clearance schedule(from Hawaiiboy's post) that I copy/pasted to Word for my own use. I'll repost this every so often just so we can all keep track of when shit is gonna drop.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, appreciate the clarification! So just to make sure I understand this right - starting next week if my BBV has a PS3 in stock it will be 50% off? Or only if the store chooses to mark it clearance?

Now that Dish has bought Blockbuster, does anyone know what their plans are. Seems like they're getting rid of everything but movies for sale/rental?

Game Hardware and Software
May 24 – June 5 25% Off
June 6 – June 19 50% Off

Does this apply to any games for sale right now? I thought the only deal on games was the previous B1G1.

Hmm I want to get a PS3 Blu-ray remote and a wireless controller. The cheapest decent remote is approx $19 while the wireless controller is $36. I'm confused if I should buy online or wait for blockbuster's price drop.

Good luck actually finding things to buy. Most stores probably cleared out a good chunk of gaming goods because of the previous clearance and sales.

[quote name='Cerebral_One']Does this apply to any games for sale right now? I thought the only deal on games was the previous B1G1.[/QUOTE]
I believe the percentages off for games is in regards to BBV stores that may still carry new/sealed games in their stores and NOT their pre-played/trade-in stock.

There are probably only a limited number of stores with new games still in stock(only two that I knew of around here closed in the last round of store closings:cry:), but there are likely to be some with games still in stock.

Albeit at this point those stores probably have really old games in stock new. For example, a couple BBV stores by me had the GTA IV Special Edition still in stock last fall or so when they clearanced it down to $29.99 new.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I believe the percentages off for games is in regards to BBV stores that may still carry new/sealed games in their stores and NOT their pre-played/trade-in stock.

There are probably only a limited number of stores with new games still in stock(only two that I knew of around here closed in the last round of store closings:cry:), but there are likely to be some with games still in stock.

Albeit at this point those stores probably have really old games in stock new. For example, a couple BBV stores by me had the GTA IV Special Edition still in stock last fall or so when they clearanced it down to $29.99 new.[/QUOTE]

I saw a Fallout 3 PS CE lunchbox for $30 and a splinter cell conviction CE. June 6 is starting to look very interesting to me....:bouncy:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I believe the percentages off for games is in regards to BBV stores that may still carry new/sealed games in their stores and NOT their pre-played/trade-in stock.

Albeit at this point those stores probably have really old games in stock new. For example, a couple BBV stores by me had the GTA IV Special Edition still in stock last fall or so when they clearanced it down to $29.99 new.[/QUOTE]

Hence the part that's confusing... while it says general merchandise, gaming accessories, game hardware and software, it's not ALL the things in each category.

I asked this earlier in the thread and would like to know as well. I think its was 12-month thing for buying it. Wouldnt be bad if you got 12-months with the purchase for $25.[/QUOTE]

I don't think BB has a subscription service anymore.

[quote name='imacgod']Any idea of Blockbuster will follow suit and drop the DS Lite to $99 as well on June 6th? If I could actually find a store selling a DS Lite, that would be a great deal at 50% off.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if all the stores are dropping the MSRP but I picked up a blue DS Lite last night for $50. The sign advertised the price as 50% off of $109.99 (lol). The sale price scanned without a need for an override. I was skeptical that it would ring up at $50 because (going by HB's post) the discount shouldn't have dropped to 50% off until Monday. Also, I was surprised that they were on the ball with the MSRP drop before the 6th.

This BBV was way out of my area and I stopped by looking for Blu-rays since I was in the area. They also had an Xbox 360 Arcade for $100 and a PS3 Slim that was tagged at $300. I have no interest in the 360 so I passed. I already have an 80 GB MGS PS3 collecting dust on a shelf so I didn't get the PS3 scanned. I'm pretty sure I would've caved if it had been priced at 75% off.

[quote name='emg28']I'm not sure if all the stores are dropping the MSRP but I picked up a blue DS Lite last night for $50. The sign advertised the price as 50% off of $109.99 (lol). The sale price scanned without a need for an override. I was skeptical that it would ring up at $50 because (going by HB's post) the discount shouldn't have dropped to 50% off until Monday. Also, I was surprised that they were on the ball with the MSRP drop before the 6th.

This BBV was way out of my area and I stopped by looking for Blu-rays since I was in the area. They also had an Xbox 360 Arcade for $100 and a PS3 Slim that was tagged at $300. I have no interest in the 360 so I passed. I already have an 80 GB MGS PS3 collecting dust on a shelf so I didn't get the PS3 scanned. I'm pretty sure I would've caved if it had been priced at 75% off.[/QUOTE]

It is confusing since the 50% off started at the end of May, but from cheapgamer post dated June 6- June 19. So does that mean 75% started this week and not june 20?

was the ds new in box?

The wireless headset I bought at Blockbuster last week was dead out of the box. I called Xbox Support and I have to send it in and they will send me a new one. Kind of sucks, but owell I guess. Can't exchange it in store because none of the other stores around me have it. And I don't know if you can return clearance stuff anyway, even if it's defective.

[quote name='The Punisher']
was the ds new in box?[/QUOTE]

New in box and sealed. The edges of the box are a little worn but everything inside is new. I opened it as soon as I got to the car and checked that the serial numbers matched.

[quote name='mightymek']The wireless headset I bought at Blockbuster last week was dead out of the box. I called Xbox Support and I have to send it in and they will send me a new one. Kind of sucks, but owell I guess. Can't exchange it in store because none of the other stores around me have it. And I don't know if you can return clearance stuff anyway, even if it's defective.[/QUOTE]

fuck!!!

I just checked mine b/c of your post and mine is DOA too.

BBV exchanged it out for me too but that was DOA as well.

Just got off the phone w/ MS and they will exchange it but I have to pay postage.

So, $20 for the headset + $5 gas + $5 postage, I coulda just bought this shit from amazon for $30 and sat on my ass w/out any troubles.

Considering how long those headsets were probably sitting in various BBV stores, it's no wonder the battery in them no longer holds a charge. Some folks had the same thing happen when Best Buy clearanced out the Tom Clancy's Endwar bundles about a year or so ago.

HawaiiBoy, please advise:

I want to pick up some xbox battery recharge packs when they hit $5. So will 75% off be starting tomorrow or June 20 considering everything already is at 50% off itd make no sense for it to start tomorrow.

Hey is there anything that trades in close to equal from gamestop to bbv? I'm trying to buy a ds lite but would rather flip gs credit to buy it.

Had some luck at my local BBV today. Picked up two DS Lites (Crimson/Black & Onyx) and a blue DSi at 50% off. I was surprised to see the discount already in affect. The other items in the picture are my other finds for the weekend.

[quote name='aznhero913']BBV exchanged it out for me too but that was DOA as well.

Just got off the phone w/ MS and they will exchange it but I have to pay postage.

So, $20 for the headset + $5 gas + $5 postage, I coulda just bought this shit from amazon for $30 and sat on my ass w/out any troubles.[/QUOTE]

I was told you have to keep the wireless headset charging on USB for many hours before it starts to work. Haven't tried it myself. I just traded into GameStop because I didn't want to deal with it and heard about this possible fix later. You're lucky your BBV exchanged yours. They didn't exchange mine.

[quote name='emg28']I'm not sure if all the stores are dropping the MSRP but I picked up a blue DS Lite last night for $50. The sign advertised the price as 50% off of $109.99 (lol). The sale price scanned without a need for an override. I was skeptical that it would ring up at $50 because (going by HB's post) the discount shouldn't have dropped to 50% off until Monday. Also, I was surprised that they were on the ball with the MSRP drop before the 6th.

This BBV was way out of my area and I stopped by looking for Blu-rays since I was in the area. They also had an Xbox 360 Arcade for $100 and a PS3 Slim that was tagged at $300. I have no interest in the 360 so I passed. I already have an 80 GB MGS PS3 collecting dust on a shelf so I didn't get the PS3 scanned. I'm pretty sure I would've caved if it had been priced at 75% off.[/QUOTE]

So a little flaky override did it? I know I haven't seen any DS's at the two I tried, but maybe something will turn up tomorrow. I was thinking I could just show them the press release for the MSRP of the DS dropping today officially, or at least I'm pretty comfortable talking to the BBV employees I've met so far and they've been helpful.

I'm probably going to wait for the 75% off on a PS3 before I try to buy it. I saw a 40 GB Spiderman bundle at one store. If I'm not mistaken (help me out here if I'm wrong CAGs), I think I should be able to install Linux on that model. My inner nerd would like to play with a Linux PS3.

[quote name='KingofGames']Had some luck at my local BBV today. Picked up two DS Lites (Crimson/Black & Onyx) and a blue DSi at 50% off. I was surprised to see the discount already in affect. The other items in the picture are my other finds for the weekend.
[/QUOTE]

I'm jealous. How much were the DS's after discounts?

Question for Hawaiiboy,

I just got off the phone with my nearby BBV. They apparently have several stock PS3s for sale but don't know anything about a % off. Only deal they knew of was the $400 dollar one where you get a the system and a BBV rental gift card type thing.

Will these PS3's ring up at %50 off tomorrow through the register or is it possible that not all BBV's will be a part of the deal?

I just got off the phone with my nearby BBV. They apparently have several stock PS3s for sale but don't know anything about a % off. Only deal they knew of was the $400 dollar one where you get a the system and a BBV rental gift card type thing.

Will these PS3's ring up at %50 off tomorrow through the register or is it possible that not all BBV's will be a part of the deal?

i'm not quite sure as things are ringing up weird. like the DS lite is still listed at $129.99 MSRP but marked down to $50. ask them which bundle it was because i know the 80gb transformer bundle is at $175 right now cuz i was looking up PS3's and i noticed that one. if you find out which bundle it is i can look it up for you tomorrow morning.

there really is no rhyme or reason as to how things are priced in the system so the best thing to do is ask them to scan it.

[quote name='KingofGames']Had some luck at my local BBV today. Picked up two DS Lites (Crimson/Black & Onyx) and a blue DSi at 50% off. I was surprised to see the discount already in affect. The other items in the picture are my other finds for the weekend.

[/QUOTE]
Damn. I wish the only two BBV stores around here that still had hardware in stock didn't liquidate during the last round of closings. I missed out on the DSLite $70 sale or whatever the hell that was during one of the last BOGO's since it was only for TWO DAYS for normal customers:bomb: and now there's no chance in hell I'll find a DSL for cheap, unless someone on CL around here actually prices one cheap (for once).

[quote name='hawaiiboy']i'm not quite sure as things are ringing up weird. like the DS lite is still listed at $129.99 MSRP but marked down to $50. ask them which bundle it was because i know the 80gb transformer bundle is at $175 right now cuz i was looking up PS3's and i noticed that one. if you find out which bundle it is i can look it up for you tomorrow morning.

there really is no rhyme or reason as to how things are priced in the system so the best thing to do is ask them to scan it.[/QUOTE]

It's the standard 160gb version. No bundled games by look of it.

The blockbuster that had the DS Lite/DSi's also had a PS3. It was a 160GB slim, but it was not marked for a discount. The cashier said as much, as well.

i saw few DSL for $50. Is it worth buying for that price? There is the chance of 75% off but then there is the risk of it being sold before then at $50.

Unless they are hard to notice, I wouldn't risk it. A guy who was being helped by another worker (and who was there before me) saw I was buying the DS systems and asked if they had any more. If he had seen them, I'm sure he would've taken at least one.

bread's done
Back