The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Readthepost']There are 2 xbox 360 Arcades on clearance.
1 with Sonic and extra for $50
1 with no game for $37.xx
I passed on both of them.

There are 2 SLIM PS3 160 GB at FULL price.
1 will ring up as $299
1 will ring up as $399
I have no idea why or what the difference are.

There are 2 clearanced PS3 (FAT and SLIM)!!!!!!!
1 is the FAT 80 GB bundle (Really big box with Click and Transformer) for $87.50. (i got this)
1 is the SLIM 120 GB (no extras) for $75 now. (someone bought it 1 day before the 75% sale for $150) The employee told me that she told him that it would be $75 tomorrow and he said he didn't want to risk it. :roll:

Hope this info helps.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious about that SLIM 120 GB PS3 with no extras. Can anyone tell me if this is the one on clearance:
box.jpg

I saw one of those boxes at an out of the way Blockbuster on Sunday. When I asked for a price check, the employee typed something in the computer and said $299. She then informed me that video game consoles are never cheaper than the MSRP. Would it have rung up differently if they picked up the box and scanned it?

If this excellent clearance sale is still going on and if the system is still there, I'm going to have to try again. Thank you for any and all help. And a special thanks to hawaiiboy for keeping us all in the loop with these deals.

HB my store has a few sealed copies of the same game I would like to pick one up at 75% but the employee states that it isnt on clearance ( yet the stack is on the clearance table ) and that the stated price is universal for all BB ? Any help be greatly welcomed

[quote name='thirdrose']I'm curious about that SLIM 120 GB PS3 with no extras. Can anyone tell me if this is the one on clearance:
box.jpg

I saw one of those boxes at an out of the way Blockbuster on Sunday. When I asked for a price check, the employee typed something in the computer and said $299. She then informed me that video game consoles are never cheaper than the MSRP. Would it have rung up differently if they picked up the box and scanned it?[/QUOTE]

That's the one on clearance.....!!!!!!!!!!:):)
There is nothing for the employee to type into the computer to look up the price because the 120GBs are no longer in the system. She probably typed in PS3 and looked at the screen and read the 160GB's price.
If they scan the barcode, the sale price comes up, but they can't find it by typing.

HB, can you confirm my statement or any BBV employee?

Your picture is 99% match, but that's because it's missing the Blockbuster on demand sticker (or something like it ..maybe netflix?).

Good luck.

[quote name='thirdrose']I'm curious about that SLIM 120 GB PS3 with no extras. Can anyone tell me if this is the one on clearance:
box.jpg

I saw one of those boxes at an out of the way Blockbuster on Sunday. When I asked for a price check, the employee typed something in the computer and said $299. She then informed me that video game consoles are never cheaper than the MSRP. Would it have rung up differently if they picked up the box and scanned it?[/QUOTE]
A little advice.
Go to the store, ask to see the box, make sure it's in the box (not a display), if it's in the box, ask them to check the price and then buy it.

If it isn't in the box, ask for the actual box (you could tell him, you liked to see if the seals are intact) and ask them to check the price and then buy it.

The reason is that if the employee see the low price is from the display box....he might not be able to find the one in the back:roll:.

[quote name='JBLAZEisaCAG']Curious, which NJ blockbuster did you go to?[/QUOTE]

That was the one in Newark.

Almost all the BBV in NJ were hit up before I got there. I didn't get any LBP plush, no DS or Xbox.

I was able to get scraps from the B1G1 and was able to find a Angry Bird Plush that about all.

[quote name='Denbo32']That was the one in Newark.

Almost all the BBV in NJ were hit up before I got there. I didn't get any LBP plush, no DS or Xbox.

I was able to get scraps from the B1G1 and was able to find a Angry Bird Plush that about all.[/QUOTE]
lol well I know where you're at but the good thing for both of us is I didn't venture that far our to be a CAG so it seems someone else is ripping your stores apart (that and the only things I bought were a couple paintings and some headphones but that's it).

This still makes me a little cautious though lol for the upcoming B1G1 sale. I'm definitely going to try to go as early as possible so that I can get a fair shot at the games before someone picks the store clean.

[quote name='Readthepost']A little advice.
Go to the store, ask to see the box, make sure it's in the box (not a display), if it's in the box, ask them to check the price and then buy it.

If it isn't in the box, ask for the actual box (you could tell him, you liked to see if the seals are intact) and ask them to check the price and then buy it.

The reason is that if the employee see the low price is from the display box....he might not be able to find the one in the back:roll:.[/QUOTE]

I actually ran into that. I saw the box on the shelf, but that's all it was, a box on the shelf as a display. Two CSR were looking at the computer since they don't remember seeing it around and didn't give me any suspicion that they would be lying.

[quote name='boneless']I actually ran into that. I saw the box on the shelf, but that's all it was, a box on the shelf as a display. Two CSR were looking at the computer since they don't remember seeing it around and didn't give me any suspicion that they would be lying.[/QUOTE]
You should ask them to check the backroom or storage.
I got an extra DS lite a few days ago for my friend because I saw the display box and asked. The employee told me it's just a display. So I say something like "if it's the display, then there should be an actual one in the back".....5 minutes later.....a black DS lite for $25. The employee said it was in the backroom and she thought it was a display box too.....:bouncy:.

I'll ask my friend for the receipt so I can scan it as proof.

I asked about hardware, points cards, etc at every store (even the same store and the same employees) at every visit.

[quote name='PlowK1NG']I saw Earth Defense Force for 6.99 at my store. Hopefully there is another B1G1 sale.[/QUOTE]

I picked this up during the last B1G1 sale along with a bad Hot Wheels game for my kids. Sad thing is, I've become obsessed with the Hot Wheels game. :headache:

If the B1G1 sale is happening next weekend, shouldn't we be getting some confirmation on it by now? We knew about the last one pretty early. I'd think it would start next Tuesday since they always seem to, but I'm starting to get skeptical.

box.jpg

I saw one of those boxes at an out of the way Blockbuster on Sunday. When I asked for a price check, the employee typed something in the computer and said $299. She then informed me that video game consoles are never cheaper than the MSRP. Would it have rung up differently if they picked up the box and scanned it?

If this excellent clearance sale is still going on and if the system is still there, I'm going to have to try again. Thank you for any and all help. And a special thanks to hawaiiboy for keeping us all in the loop with these deals.[/QUOTE]

Thought that one was NOT on clearance. Only the bundled ones.

Yeah.. I would love to get some sort of confirmation on the B1G1 sale if it's coming anytime soon. I had my head in the clouds during the last one and wasn't able to take part in it but there's no way I'm missing this one. Let us know Hawaii Boy if you find out.

FYI: For those(like me) who started their Little Big Planet 2 armies from this sale, FYE sells other LBP2 plushes.

I saw 3 distinctly different ones on the shelf, including one that looked like a variant of the Yukiko one, a 'bumblebee' looking one and one with Sackboy made up to look like Flava Flav:lol:.

But I don't think I can pay $12.99 for any of these after paying less than two bucks for most of mine.

[quote name='IronZombie']lol well I know where you're at but the good thing for both of us is I didn't venture that far our to be a CAG so it seems someone else is ripping your stores apart (that and the only things I bought were a couple paintings and some headphones but that's it).

This still makes me a little cautious though lol for the upcoming B1G1 sale. I'm definitely going to try to go as early as possible so that I can get a fair shot at the games before someone picks the store clean.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the store by me in South Orange sounds like that, but its still stocked with games waiting for that b1g1.

My closest store has a ton of halfway decent PS3 titles just waiting to be bought during the next BOGO. I just hope I don't have anymore outta state competition on the first day like the last time.:bomb:

I think my store shipped off a bunch of games as well as their clearance stuff. That or El Hoardo hit. All they had were Pokemon plushies still marked full price and some Tron posters. Most of the games they used to have tons of were gone as well, like FoNV.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']all the older stuff should be at 75% off even if they arent marked that way. our store had about 6 different older titles and they were all 75%. LBP is $7.50, darksiders $10.00 thats all i can remember.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I'll check back at some of the stores.

[quote name='JBLAZEisaCAG']Yeah the store by me in South Orange sounds like that, but its still stocked with games waiting for that b1g1.[/QUOTE]
lol well if I do venture over to S.O. let's both try and be good CAGs and not turn into hoarders ;)

[quote name='Toss']I'm actually looking forward to 99 cents bluray again more so than the games.[/QUOTE]

When did they do .99 blu-rays? Thats awesome, I'm missing out since my store went out, I have to drive an hour now :(

[quote name='IronZombie']lol well if I do venture over to S.O. let's both try and be good CAGs and not turn into hoarders ;)[/QUOTE]

From what I'v seen most posters are not the hoarders, it the lurkers that never post until it is a pic of the back of their car with a whole stores good picks in the back seat, lol.

[quote name='IronZombie']lol well I know where you're at but the good thing for both of us is I didn't venture that far our to be a CAG so it seems someone else is ripping your stores apart (that and the only things I bought were a couple paintings and some headphones but that's it).

This still makes me a little cautious though lol for the upcoming B1G1 sale. I'm definitely going to try to go as early as possible so that I can get a fair shot at the games before someone picks the store clean.[/QUOTE]

The B1G1 were picked pretty clean at all the stores in NJ that I went to. I don't get to go till the weekend, but most stores I went to had nothing of value left, this time they had none of the FO:NV in 4 of the 5 stores I went to so I'm sure they got picked clean.

[quote name='odd mr t']I picked this up during the last B1G1 sale along with a bad Hot Wheels game for my kids. Sad thing is, I've become obsessed with the Hot Wheels game. :headache:[/QUOTE]

Does EDF support 4 player split screen, or just 2?

[quote name='PlowK1NG']Does EDF support 4 player split screen, or just 2?[/QUOTE]

Just 2, but it is the best coop experience on the 360.

How much are the xbox360 play and charge kits supposed to ring up for? I saw some at a store yesterday and they rang up at 19.99 which is regular price...

actually they had like 3 of them... and I started drooling.. and then I turned around there there was this hot chick and she must've thought I was drooling at her so she kinda just eased back slowly away from me.. and I was like.. um it's not what you think and,,,, she pulled out pepper spray and well....... I just made all that up cuz I'm bored.....

but the other part is real.. the play and charge kits rang up full price,,, so did the sony remote.. am I missin something?

[quote name='gunthonungo']How much are the xbox360 play and charge kits supposed to ring up for? I saw some at a store yesterday and they rang up at 19.99 which is regular price...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same for me. Those just weren't on clearance for some reason which is odd given everything else they cleared out.

I finally got around to trying the wireless headset I got for $3. Well, as expected, it doesn't work. I think a lot of other people reported the same thing. The battery is just too old. I had a very painful call to MS support (presumably to an India call center), dealing with a woman with a strong accent plus a bad connection that made it very difficult to hear anything.

I gathered that I am supposed to send the old one in (at my cost) and they will send me a replacement. I have no idea if she got my name or address correct, though, which is somewhat disturbing. Plus I have to make sure I have the right address to send this thing in to - it was some bizarre address in Laredo, TX (Flextronics Fulfillment, Bob Bullock Loop Door #42 - WTF!?). Anyone else get the same?

[quote name='io']Yeah, same for me. Those just weren't on clearance for some reason which is odd given everything else they cleared out.

I finally got around to trying the wireless headset I got for $3. Well, as expected, it doesn't work. I think a lot of other people reported the same thing. The battery is just too old. I had a very painful call to MS support (presumably to an India call center), dealing with a woman with a strong accent plus a bad connection that made it very difficult to hear anything.

I gathered that I am supposed to send the old one in (at my cost) and they will send me a replacement. I have no idea if she got my name or address correct, though, which is somewhat disturbing. Plus I have to make sure I have the right address to send this thing in to - it was some bizarre address in Laredo, TX (Flextronics Fulfillment, Bob Bullock Loop Door #42 - WTF!?). Anyone else get the same?[/QUOTE]

Flextronics must be the contract manufacturer for MSFT on that headset. So they're the ones having to warranty it. That would be my semi-uneducated guess.

[quote name='io']Yeah, same for me. Those just weren't on clearance for some reason which is odd given everything else they cleared out.

I gathered that I am supposed to send the old one in (at my cost) and they will send me a replacement. I have no idea if she got my name or address correct, though, which is somewhat disturbing. Plus I have to make sure I have the right address to send this thing in to - it was some bizarre address in Laredo, TX (Flextronics Fulfillment, Bob Bullock Loop Door #42 - WTF!?). Anyone else get the same?[/QUOTE]

Your address is almost correct, lol. Here's where I sent mine:

Flextronics Fulfillment
8510 West Bob Bullock Loop Door # 42
Laredo, TX 78045

It cost around $3.70 for me to ship it. They already received it and sent me a new one, so that's definitley a good address. I get the new one delivered by Monday. They send it Fedex Smartpost, so it takes forever. I spent $20 on mine before the clearance dropped more, but that's ok because the other one they had was gone 2 days later as well, so I would have missed out if I waited. Good luck sending it in and getting a new one back!

[quote name='Sinnbox']From what I'v seen most posters are not the hoarders, it the lurkers that never post until it is a pic of the back of their car with a whole stores good picks in the back seat, lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah lol I could see how that would happen.

[quote name='Denbo32']The B1G1 were picked pretty clean at all the stores in NJ that I went to. I don't get to go till the weekend, but most stores I went to had nothing of value left, this time they had none of the FO:NV in 4 of the 5 stores I went to so I'm sure they got picked clean.[/QUOTE]

Well I haven't found anything too interesting in most of these stores but there's been a few where I found pretty much what I expected. Not a lot of great deals but some decent ones. I just hope there's enough to go around in the B1G1. I'm not looking to cash in on any of this and flip a bunch of games I just wanted some games I haven't played yet for cheap. Here's hoping.

Just wanted to give this thread a bump and see if we could get some more information out of this B1G1 deal and when exactly it's starting. Also, (and this is mostly aimed at HawaiiBoy), do you know if there's going to be any more price drops on the used games this week? I know you said they usually happen Monday but it'd be cool if you had a heads up or something. I'm hoping Mafia II and AC: Brotherhood drop to 15$ so I can snag a copy of each at the sale.

do you know if there's going to be any more price drops on the used games this week?

i'll find out saturday night any price drops along with any info on the sales for next week. kinda in the dark as what they have planned as nothing has come down the pipe yet.

[quote name='TheHelix']Still crossing my fingers for another B1G1 for 4th of July.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IronZombie']Thanks mate we're all looking forward to it lol.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hawaiiboy']i'll find out saturday night any price drops along with any info on the sales for next week. kinda in the dark as what they have planned as nothing has come down the pipe yet.[/QUOTE]

Last time the sale started a week before Memorial day but does anyone know when the sale was advertised? I am quietly hoping that they start the sale the week before July 4 and then we may be busy this monday instead of next monday.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Last time the sale started a week before Memorial day but does anyone know when the sale was advertised? I am quietly hoping that they start the sale the week before July 4 and then we may be busy this monday instead of next monday.[/QUOTE]
Honestly that might be good or bad.. I would think somewhat good since no one would expect it but then again, most people are busy on the 4th of July weekend so I would expect less foot traffic.

Either way I'm hoping for some more price drops before this starts otherwise I'm out of luck on some of those games that are hanging at 20$ just out of reach of this deal.

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']Ok Im sorry but even if they were trying to be funny, which it seems like they are at points, I found that absolutely hilarious. :lol::lol:[/QUOTE]I liked when the Vampire Rain Demo Downloaded notification pops up. WTF are downloading Vampire Rain for? You suck.

[quote name='IronZombie']Honestly that might be good or bad.. I would think somewhat good since no one would expect it but then again, most people are busy on the 4th of July weekend so I would expect less foot traffic.

Either way I'm hoping for some more price drops before this starts otherwise I'm out of luck on some of those games that are hanging at 20$ just out of reach of this deal.[/QUOTE]

I fear there won't be anymore price drops. if BBV really wanted to get rid of the games, they'd be b1g1 free for all, not just 14.99 or less

[quote name='IronZombie']Honestly that might be good or bad.. I would think somewhat good since no one would expect it but then again, most people are busy on the 4th of July weekend so I would expect less foot traffic.[/QUOTE]
It could go either way. July 4th is a day when people are outside, either drinking, grilling, or shooting off fireworks, and in most cases doing all three at once. But then again, a lot of people watch movies on holidays. Xmas is one of the biggest days of the year for movie theaters and I would assume that holidays are also big for renting. So who knows, besides Hawaii I guess.

You would think a holiday would be slow for a Blockbuster and I am thinking it would be too, but then again, working at a movie theater as a teen, I was surprised every holiday that hit.
"WTF, It's Xmas/New Years/Easter/etc...why are you here to watch a movie and not at home???!!! Movie watching isn't that good for 'family time.'"
Blockbuster must be open every day of the year to include holidays for a reason.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']It could go either way. July 4th is a day when people are outside, either drinking, grilling, or shooting off fireworks, and in most cases doing all three at once. But then again, a lot of people watch movies on holidays. Xmas is one of the biggest days of the year for movie theaters and I would assume that holidays are also big for renting. So who knows, besides Hawaii I guess.

You would think a holiday would be slow for a Blockbuster and I am thinking it would be too, but then again, working at a movie theater as a teen, I was surprised every holiday that hit.
"WTF, It's Xmas/New Years/Easter/etc...why are you here to watch a movie and not at home???!!! Movie watching isn't that good for 'family time.'"
Blockbuster must be open every day of the year to include holidays for a reason.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I suppose there's some truth to that but (and not to sound racist or anything) I think the deal with Xmas is that non-Christian people are usually the ones that go out on Xmas so that's probably why you see a surge. Not to mention some people (myself included) usually celebrate the night before with gifts and everything so the next day (Xmas itself) is usually clear to do whatever.

I think it's a bit different for 4th of July. Yeah there will still be people out and about doing stuff but I think most people usually are BBQing in their backyards and going to fireworks shows and drinking. I guess some people are out shopping but I would think it would be a lot less than on an average day or on a normal weekend. Just my opinion.

[quote name='JBLAZEisaCAG']I fear there won't be anymore price drops. if BBV really wanted to get rid of the games, they'd be b1g1 free for all, not just 14.99 or less[/QUOTE]

I think it has less to do with that then it has to do with the idea that getting a free game over 15$ is kind of a loss on their part. If people were getting free games that were worth at least 20$ it would be a better deal to them than getting a free 15$ game, even though they are spending 5$ more on the deal.

I think if they really wanted to get rid of some of these games they would utilize the B1G1 deal and just lower some of the 20$ games to match the deal. That way more games can be included in it. Idk.. just my opinion. There's a couple games there that I think are worth picking up at the 15$ price (Dead Rising 2, AC: Brotherhood, Mafia II, I think Mass Effect 2 if it's not already 15$). If these were included in the deal I'd have a few new games to play this summer.

[quote name='io']it was some bizarre address in Laredo, TX (Flextronics Fulfillment, Bob Bullock Loop Door #42 - WTF!?). Anyone else get the same?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mightymek']Your address is almost correct, lol. Here's where I sent mine:

Flextronics Fulfillment
8510 West Bob Bullock Loop Door # 42
Laredo, TX 78045
[/QUOTE]

That is a truly extraordinary address.

B1G1 free is 7/1-7/4 and as usual its $14.99 and under.

there are no game price drops this week.

the 5 for $20 blu rays will be also run from 7/1-7/4 but there is no mention of the $.99 blu rays so we'll have to wait and see. i'm leaning towards no $.99 blus since we received all our info for next week already but you never know as they could send us some changes.

most stores should be getting more $.99 regular dvd's but its probably the same stuff as the last sale as most of it is being just transferred between stores.

also a big blu ray transfer this week (about 250 pieces in my store).

big blu ray price drop down to $9.99 effective 6/27 which i will post in the dvd forum also.

30 days of night
after life
alien vs predator
book of eli
cats and dogs revenge
charlie st cloud
chicago
chloe
chosen one
clash of the titans both 1981 and 2010
closer
cop out