The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hawaiiboy']Update, b1g1 sale begins Friday 7/1 like everyone already knows but the new details are

Buy ANY priced game and get a $14.99 and under title free.[/QUOTE]
Interesting. I may have to scout my closest store later tonight then to see if there's anything I'd consider paying over $15 for in order to get some other game free.

I just hope I have no out of town competition like at the beginning of the LAST sale.:bomb:

So the 5 for $20 Blu-rays with the new bigger list begins Friday as well?

No word on 99 cent blu-rays right? I might just hold out for those until like 2 days before the Blu-ray sale is over.

So the 5 for $20 Blu-rays with the new bigger list begins Friday as well?

No word on 99 cent blu-rays right? I might just hold out for those until like 2 days before the Blu-ray sale is over.

Yep to both questions.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Update, b1g1 sale begins Friday 7/1 like everyone already knows but the new details are

Does this mean,

Buy 9.99 game get 14.99 game free

or

Buy any game and get the cheaper game free (

Buy any game over $14.99 and get another at $14.99 or less for free.

[quote name='MasterYensid']Does this mean,

Buy 9.99 game get 14.99 game free

or

Buy any game and get the cheaper game free (

Really guys? I'll edit my post since it's seems to be sooo confusing. Buy any game $14.99 or more and get a $14.99 or under game free. Lowest priced item is the free one. I thought it would be pretty self explanatory but i guess not

Nice, I can now pick up DR2 instead of waiting for it to hit the 14.99 range that I've been waiting for.

Use your common sense CAGs! No way BBV is going to let you buy a game for $6.99 and get a free one for $49.99.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']No offense HB but one could argue that any price does mean any price.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mrwogs2']Use your common sense CAGs! No way BBV is going to let you buy a game for $6.99 and get a free one for $49.99.[/QUOTE]

BBV does some strange things sometimes ;) Like clearing out DS Lites for half off immediately after Nintendo announced a price cut.

But yea, every b1g1 I've ever seen from ANY company requires you to purchase the higher priced item.

I know a couple for 20: infamous, 007 bloodstone, dead rising 2, assassins creed brotherhood, metro 2033 ( my blockbuster acually has 1 ), mafia 2, metal of honor and more. I'll stop by my blockbuster later and list more hope this helps

[quote name='strait edge follower']I know a couple for 20: infamous, 007 bloodstone, dead rising 2, assassins creed brotherhood, metro 2033 ( my blockbuster acually has 1 ), mafia 2, metal of honor and more. I'll stop by my blockbuster later and list more hope this helps[/QUOTE]

Is only the xbox360 Assassins Creed Brotherhood $19.99? What about the PS3 version?

I'll try and stop by a BBV to check out the $19.99 game selection. I'll post what I do find later tonight.

[quote name='kk012']Is only the xbox360 Assassins Creed Brotherhood $19.99? What about the PS3 version?

I'll try and stop by a BBV to check out the $19.99 game selection. I'll post what I do find later tonight.[/QUOTE]

They are both 19.99 from what I saw. Multiples at blockbuster have the same price ( unlike amazon )

[quote name='kk012']Is only the xbox360 Assassins Creed Brotherhood $19.99? What about the PS3 version?

I'll try and stop by a BBV to check out the $19.99 game selection. I'll post what I do find later tonight.[/QUOTE]

They are both 19.99 from what I saw. Multiples at blockbuster have the same price ( unlike amazon ) post your findings as soon as possible as ill do the same. Don't want any of us to miss out on anything good. I've also noticed games such as bloodstone have been marked down recently so ill check everything

[quote name='strait edge follower']I know a couple for 20: infamous, 007 bloodstone, dead rising 2, assassins creed brotherhood, metro 2033 ( my blockbuster acually has 1 ), mafia 2, metal of honor and more. I'll stop by my blockbuster later and list more hope this helps[/QUOTE]
First of all, it's Medal of Honor, not metal. Secondly, it's 15 not 20.

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']First of all, it's Medal of Honor, not metal. Secondly, it's 15 not 20.[/QUOTE]

Thanks spelling guru ( stupid auto suggest on my phone ) lol but seriously, you saw it for 14.99 ? I have to check again cause it was 19.99 the last time I checked. Must have been marked down recently

[quote name='strait edge follower']Thanks spelling guru ( stupid auto suggest on my phone ) lol but seriously, you saw it for 14.99 ? I have to check again cause it was 19.99 the last time I checked. Must have been marked down recently[/QUOTE]
That or the lazy people who work at your store haven't marked it down. It's the same thing at my store. But that just means less people will be aware of the price drops :D

[quote name='strait edge follower']They are both 19.99 from what I saw. Multiples at blockbuster have the same price ( unlike amazon ) post your findings as soon as possible as ill do the same. Don't want any of us to miss out on anything good. I've also noticed games such as bloodstone have been marked down recently so ill check everything[/QUOTE]

[quote name='strait edge follower']Thanks spelling guru ( stupid auto suggest on my phone ) lol but seriously, you saw it for 14.99 ? I have to check again cause it was 19.99 the last time I checked. Must have been marked down recently[/QUOTE]

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']That or the lazy people who work at your store haven't marked it down. It's the same thing at my store. But that just means less people will be aware of the price drops :D[/QUOTE]

Or he could just read hawaiiboy's posts and he would have already known the price.

As for the same game being the same price across different platforms, that is also wrong. There have been plenty of games that were different prices on different platforms.

[quote name='dino88']Or he could just read hawaiiboy's posts and he would have already known the price.

As for the same game being the same price across different platforms, that is also wrong. There have been plenty of games that were different prices on different platforms.[/QUOTE]

Are you Sure ? My blockbuster multiplats have all been the same price. Is it differint at other bbv stores ?

[quote name='strait edge follower']Are you Sure ? My blockbuster multiplats have all been the same price. Is it differint at other bbv stores ?[/QUOTE]

Positive. Yes, it's the same at every BBV. For example, Medal of Honor has been $14.99 for awhile for the 360 and only just dropped to $14.99 for the PS3 last week. Same with Enslaved. It's pretty common.

[quote name='dino88']Positive. Yes, it's the same at every BBV. For example, Medal of Honor has been $14.99 for awhile for the 360 and only just dropped to $14.99 for the PS3 last week. Same with Enslaved. It's pretty common.[/QUOTE]

You're right, I'm at blockbuster now and they bumped up the price for the ps3 version of brotherhood to 24.99. The other multiplats here are the same at least. My blockbuster hasn't marked down metal of honor yet ( lazy bastards lol ) they also have one ps3 bulletstorm for 29.99 while Tue rest are 44. This place needs better management as this can confuse customers.

Spiderman shattered demensions is 19.99. Also found Mario galaxy and epic mickey for 24.99 And dead space 2 for 29.99. Enslaved ps3 here wasn't marked down here either. Nothing else worthwhile here. Hopefully by the 1'st the one copy of metro will still be here and there will be something good for 14.99 to flip or keep

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Really guys? I'll edit my post since it's seems to be sooo confusing. Buy any game $14.99 or more and get a $14.99 or under game free. Lowest priced item is the free one. I thought it would be pretty self explanatory but i guess not[/QUOTE]

So ur saying I can't buy a $4.99 game and get a $39.99 game free?

Terrible sale.

I saw FFXIII for the 360 was dropping to 14.99 but does anyone know if it will drop on the PS3 version as well?

Wait, still kind of confused. I get the buy one $14.99 or more and receive a game $14.99 or less for free, but could you buy a $9.99 game and get a $9.99 game for free? Or you HAVE to buy a game that's $14.99 or more in order to receive a free game?

HB - do you know what BBV's policy is in terms of price drops? I wasn't sure whether or not some of these 20$ games were gonna drop to 15$ on the Monday of this sale so if I buy one at 20$ (and then get a free 15$ game) and the 20$ game drops in price on Monday, could I walk in and get 5$ back?

It would save me a lot of frustration to know because part of me wants to wait for the finalized list of price drops while part of me thinks the good games will be gone by then. I really would rather not wait until Monday so it would give me some peace of mind to know if I could price match my purchase.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Really guys? I'll edit my post since it's seems to be sooo confusing. Buy any game $14.99 or more and get a $14.99 or under game free. Lowest priced item is the free one. I thought it would be pretty self explanatory but i guess not[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been here a long time and I was confused by your post as well. I mean, they have had the trade 2 (at any price), get $30 off used game type deals before, so who knows.

But I'm still confused - do you have to buy a game $14.99 and over to trigger the deal or can you still do $9.99/$9.99 B1G1 like always? Your second post seems to preclude that.

What is most logical is buy any game and get a second free as long as the second one is $14.99 and under AND also less than or equal to the first one. That covers $6.99/$4.99, $9.99/$9.99, $14.99/$14.99 and $19.99/$14.99. If that is the case, that's the way I always thought these sales should work as they are more likely to get sales on those higher priced games that way.

Also, I'm glad it isn't starting today because I was too busy to get out today. Though I probably had time tomorrow...

Yes, it's IO's way of explaining it.

HB - do you know what BBV's policy is in terms of price drops? I wasn't sure whether or not some of these 20$ games were gonna drop to 15$ on the Monday of this sale so if I buy one at 20$ (and then get a free 15$ game) and the 20$ game drops in price on Monday, could I walk in and get 5$ back?

There is no low price guarantee so I doubt you would get a mgr to credit you back the difference.

Hmm...I don't recall there was ever a requirement to buy a $14.99 game in order to get a $14.99 or less game for free, based on past sales at Blockbuster.

It would not surprise me that past sales have hurt Blockbuster more than help the bottom line. So much that BB would impose a requirement of buying a $14.99 game in order to get the sale to work.

It would be interesting if you could buy a $14.99 game and get two $6.99 or less games for free given that you were unable to find filler $7.99-$14.99 game.

[quote name='strait edge follower']You're right, I'm at blockbuster now and they bumped up the price for the ps3 version of brotherhood to 24.99. The other multiplats here are the same at least. My blockbuster hasn't marked down metal of honor yet ( lazy bastards lol ) they also have one ps3 bulletstorm for 29.99 while Tue rest are 44. This place needs better management as this can confuse customers.[/QUOTE]

Are you at the one on Houston and Ave A? Every time I go there I have to scan everything I'm interested in and about half of it comes up at a different price than what the sticker says.

Yes, you can get a $9.99 game and get any other game for free that is less than $9.99. Likewise for a game you buy for $6.99 or $4.99. The free game to pair with that would have to be equal or lesser value.

[quote name='akalboy']Wait, still kind of confused. I get the buy one $14.99 or more and receive a game $14.99 or less for free, but could you buy a $9.99 game and get a $9.99 game for free? Or you HAVE to buy a game that's $14.99 or more in order to receive a free game?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mrwogs2']Yes, you can get a $9.99 game and get any other game for free that is less than $9.99. Likewise for a game you buy for $6.99 or $4.99. The free game to pair with that would have to be equal or lesser value.[/QUOTE]

Yep, saw that HB posted that after io's comment. But thanks everyone for the clarification!

This is a smart move by BB (never thought I'd say that). They will move a lot more higher priced inventory this way and I likely won't walk out of a store if I can't find a pair since I can grab a higher priced title.

I thought this sale just got really interesting, since I'd buy one of the $29.99 and up pre-played titles if I could get another one of the same value or less free.

What I mean is, buy a $39.99 game and you could opt to get another $39.99 game FREE.

But since it's worded so you can ONLY get $15 n under titles free, then I'll just stick to the $14.99 n under shit as it is.

There's been so much conflicting info in the last few pages that I want to make sure I've got this officially correct before the sale starts. So :

As far as I can tell - its the same B1G1 sale as before, PLUS you can now also buy games that cost MORE THAN $14.99, BUT when you do that, the free game still has to be $14.99 and under?

There's been so much conflicting info in the last few pages that I want to make sure I've got this officially correct before the sale starts. So :

As far as I can tell - its the same B1G1 sale as before, PLUS you can now also buy games that cost MORE THAN $14.99, BUT when you do that, the free game still has to be $14.99 and under?
you are correct. i didnt mean to confuse everyone with what i thought was a simple sentence. boy was i wrong.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']you are correct. i didnt mean to confuse everyone with what i thought was simple sentence. boy was i wrong.[/QUOTE]

I've been shaking my head at some of the responses. I think/hope this plain English explanation may help:

Buy one used game at any price, get one $14.99 or less used game of equal or lesser value free.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']you are correct. i didnt mean to confuse everyone with what i thought was simple sentence. boy was i wrong.[/QUOTE]

fucking shit, so we do get a free ham sandwich with the purchase of any game $9.99 or less AND a free game $14.99 and above?

[quote name='hawaiiboy']i didnt mean to confuse everyone with what i thought was a simple sentence. boy was i wrong.[/QUOTE]

I blame public schools!!!

bread's done
Back