The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to my local Blockbuster only to exit disappointed, they had absolutely nothing interesting to buy, they didn't even have Fallout New Vegas or SWFUII lol.

Went to one store today...nothing.

Picked up 360 Harry Potter 1-4 and SWFUII for $16 all together....they were mispriced ;) Great for me.

....will try to hit two more bbv's tomorrow and hope for a better selection.

Well nothing really at my local Blockbuster (the next closet is 10 miles away) but I did find Prince of Persia and Frontline: Fuel of War for $7 total. I think for $3.50 a piece I will get my money's worth.

[quote name='person123']Went to my local Blockbuster only to exit disappointed, they had absolutely nothing interesting to buy, they didn't even have Fallout New Vegas or SWFUII lol.[/QUOTE]

What is funny about that is mine had about 6-8 copies of those each. Nothing else though.

[quote name='super_dawn']Went to one store today...nothing.

Picked up 360 Harry Potter 1-4 and SWFUII for $16 all together....they were mispriced ;) Great for me.
[/QUOTE]

Doesnt sound like they were mispriced? $14.99 each, B1G1, total sounds right!

The only thing my blockbuster has left that I want is shattered demensions. At least there is some good amazon flip material left for amazon in force unleashed 2 and bloodstone so I can salvage one more thing out of this sale

[quote name='Teriana']Doesnt sound like they were mispriced? $14.99 each, B1G1, total sounds right![/QUOTE]

they were stickered $19.99 originally...the lady at the counter tried to talk me into getting a "correct" game but I casually said these would ring up $14.99.

[quote name='strait edge follower']The only thing my blockbuster has left that I want is shattered demensions. At least there is some good amazon flip material left for amazon in force unleashed 2 and bloodstone so I can salvage one more thing out of this sale[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for the SWFU:II flip info. As I stated there were 6 copies of the 360 version at my local store so I just went back and picked up 2 for $15.75 and locked in my trade at Amazon for $28.

I was hoping HB would give us some good news on Monday's price drops but it doesn't look like BBV wants to give us anything decent. Oh well.. I might go back in to one store and see if they have any copies of Mafia II. It's the only game I wasn't able to find during my first hunt and if I'm gonna drop 20$ on it I'd like to get a free game as well.

[quote name='IronZombie']I was hoping HB would give us some good news on Monday's price drops but it doesn't look like BBV wants to give us anything decent. Oh well.. I might go back in to one store and see if they have any copies of Mafia II. It's the only game I wasn't able to find during my first hunt and if I'm gonna drop 20$ on it I'd like to get a free game as well.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully hb will give us an update on Sunday or monday

[quote name='cancerman1120']Hey thanks for the SWFU:II flip info. As I stated there were 6 copies of the 360 version at my local store so I just went back and picked up 2 for $15.75 and locked in my trade at Amazon for $28.[/QUOTE]

Hey no porb. Force unleashed 2 is a popular item in this sale ( flipped two of them and 2 galaxy 2's myself ) almost everyone else who got it is probably flipping it too. Good thing I locked in the tiv's for my games 2 days before the sale cause I think the values of force unleashed 2 and galaxy 2 will drop within a week and a half.

Here's my small Haul:

Spider Man Shattered dimensions (PS3)
Dead Rising 2 (1x 360, 1x PS3)
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (360)

Please check your discs for cracks in the center ring before you buy, I was almost sold a disc that snapped as I took it out the case to check for scratches.

Found a BBV that was open late, great selection ended up leaving with Left 4 Dead 2 and Dirt 2 (2nd copy which I'll be flipping tomorrow )

[quote name='strait edge follower']Hopefully hb will give us an update on Sunday or monday[/QUOTE]
Well there's always hoping, but I think whatever he finds out Saturday afternoons are it for the week. Doesn't look like anything new is dropping to 15$ during this trade. I'll make due with what they have I guess. Maybe during their next B1G1 there will be a more interesting selection of games.

[quote name='IronZombie']Well there's always hoping, but I think whatever he finds out Saturday afternoons are it for the week. Doesn't look like anything new is dropping to 15$ during this trade. I'll make due with what they have I guess. Maybe during their next B1G1 there will be a more interesting selection of games.[/QUOTE]

I agree, and I highly doubt that they will drop prices during the very end of the sale. Well I'm going to be optimistic about this

[quote name='strait edge follower']I agree, and I highly doubt that they will drop prices during the very end of the sale. Well I'm going to be optimistic about this[/QUOTE]

He already announced the price drop list for Monday. You need to read more...

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Very disappointing list of drops. Prices effective Monday July 4 which is also the last day Of the sale.

:ps3:
Bulletstorm $24.99
Guitar hero warriors $19.99
Homefront $44.99
Two worlds 2 $24.99

:360:
Bulletstorm $24.99
Front mission $24.99
Guitar hero warriors $19.99
Homefront $44.99
Legend of guardians $19.99
Splatterhouse $19.99

:wii:
Legend of the guardians $14.99
Lego star wars III $34.99
Pokepark picachus adventure $24.99

Enslaved
:ps3: $19.99
:360: $14.99

Kingdom hearts re
$14.99

No blu ray price drops and no .99 cent blurays. Not sure how that 1 person reported that they would be back on Monday but nothing came down indicating that.[/QUOTE]

Page 126.

Yeah, I can definitely tell I arrived too late for the BOGO as my closest store had mostly crap left. I did manage to snag :ps3: Medal of Honor & :360: Ninety Nine Nights II for $15, so I guess it's not a complete loss.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']And then only $10 more to play online if the code is missing.:cold:[/QUOTE]

And then only 10 less since I'm not interested in the multiplayer :) I just want to toss, shoot, and kick enemys around while hearing some chessy cuss filled diologe from generic marines. Game seems like fun from what I've seen. Then after that ill trade it back to amazon for 20 to get my money back

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']And then only $10 more to play online if the code is missing.:cold:[/QUOTE]

Really aren't missing much with the multiplayer. I bought bulletstorm used last week with the 50% off coupon from BB. Flipped dragon age 2 ($15 thanks to another coupon ) at gamestop to buy a ms point card (needed a code for dead space 2 also bought used at BB) really felt like I should've used 800 points on something else.

So what do you guys use to get off the numbers written in marker on the discs? If you're flipping to Amazon I would have to assume they won't take it with the marker. I can just switch out the cases with other games I have so that's not a biggie, but the disc...

[quote name='dino88']:lol: It's sounds like you're talking about a hurricane or tornado, which I guess would accurately describe some hoarders.[/QUOTE]

he was, he has 4 stacks of games all about 3 feet high, i felt bad for the 2 guys trying to scramble and get his discs as he was becoming very impatient trying to hit the next store

[quote name='Denbo32']Very odd. Bought dr2 with ssfiv and the b1g1 didn't come up. I wonder why[/QUOTE]

The discount wasn't automatic for me this time. They had to scan a separate B1G1 barcode for the discount to kick in.

[quote name='JKSonic']So what do you guys use to get off the numbers written in marker on the discs? If you're flipping to Amazon I would have to assume they won't take it with the marker. I can just switch out the cases with other games I have so that's not a biggie, but the disc...[/QUOTE]

Strange. I've never had anything written on my discs.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JKSonic']So what do you guys use to get off the numbers written in marker on the discs? If you're flipping to Amazon I would have to assume they won't take it with the marker. I can just switch out the cases with other games I have so that's not a biggie, but the disc...[/QUOTE]

Never had any of my BBVs write in marker on the disc....ever. :whistle2:s

Best thing I can recommend is using a small amount of isopropanol/rubbing alcohol and gently try to remove the marker. Be a little conservative with it (and the amount of pressure you apply to the disc) since you just want to rub the marker off without damaging the disc or the disc artwork.

[quote name='guinness7']Looks like central Jersey has someone going around buying a lot of games up because there was a post about a similar situation in the brick store. Good thing I am up north.[/QUOTE]

Up north isn't any better at times.

Jeez.... found a BBV that was where all the games were. They had like 10 copies of DKC returns that still even had the nintendo coin codes in them.

went to BBV told them about the b1g1 separate bc scanning they didnt believe me and said too bad.

Picked up at Toy Story(special edition), girl with dragon tattoo, girl played with fire, kill bill 2 and district 9. Need to find TS2 and 3, and kill bill 1.

[quote name='n0vak99']he was, he has 4 stacks of games all about 3 feet high, i felt bad for the 2 guys trying to scramble and get his discs as he was becoming very impatient trying to hit the next store[/QUOTE]
That's kinda how I got on the first day of the last BOGO when those two outta town guys were at my closest BBV and they had 20-30 games stacked up.:roll:

I looked around, didn't see shit I wanted(completely missed the copy of Singularity I had already scoped out the night before), so then I left to go take a run to the other two stores in the area before they could get there.

But just like the first store there was nothing worthwhile at either of those.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Still nobody with an extra Medal of Honor for Xbox 360 that they wouldn't mind selling me for cost + shipping?[/QUOTE]

would you rather trade? pm me if interested.

I ended up grabbing Bayonetta, Darksiders, Transformers:War for Cybertron, and N32. For a grand total of around 8$ each, I was happy with that! :)

I can't remember if I still own MoH, but, if I don't, I'll probably go back and grab that with something else! :)

[quote name='n0vak99']he was, he has 4 stacks of games all about 3 feet high, i felt bad for the 2 guys trying to scramble and get his discs as he was becoming very impatient trying to hit the next store[/QUOTE]

What I find amazing is that these stores actually have enough games to make stacks that big! Very few of the stores around me even have that many games total, and that would include all the higher-priced ones and crap no one wants to buy. So you should consider yourself lucky that you have such wonderfully stocked stores and get there earlier next time ;).

I mean, at my local BBV I think you could have tried to stack all the games into ONE 3 foot high stack - and still probably be a bit short. Still, I picked up a few games there (as of course they had Star Wars Force Unleashed II).

Wow IO that's all u have at ur store. Our stores around here are all well stocked with my store sitting at 423 games after today's transfers. Granted a lot of them are multiples but we still have tons of the usual suspects even with me buying some of them.

Checked 4 BB in the surrounding areas and couldn't find a single copy of SSF IV for 360. Is this game that hard to find? I bet I spent more gas running around trying to find this game than it costs to purchase. :roll: .. Are you guys having the same issue?

Checked 4 BB in the surrounding areas and couldn't find a single copy of SSF IV for 360. Is this game that hard to find? I bet I spent more gas running around trying to find this game than it costs to purchase. .. Are you guys having the same issue?

I realize it's too late now but if ur looking for a particular game just go to a store and ask them to check surrounding stores for you. We have an inventory checker for surrounding stores u just have to ask. And yes SSF IV is hard as I imagine most stores only had/have 1 or 2 copies and with sale a couple days old they would have been bought up pretty early in the sale.

Yeah I even just called a store looking for Super Mario Galaxy 2, and then asked if he had one in the area and he told me one store did, went and grabbed it. Now im heading back to a store to grab some more stuff!

Yesterday I went to another blockbuster around 5:30 pm, and I couldn't believe what I saw.

As I opened the door, my eyes focused on the mythical creature walking towards the counter. I never wanted to believe such tales, but there he was, carrying stacks of games with both arms... El Hoardo.

Bewildered, I walked briskly to the games section to see the damage he caused. "Bastard" I uttered. He had taken the last copies of Metro 2033 and Singularity. I saw him coming back for more games, so quickly grabbed Earth Defense Force 2017, and Lego Rock Band. I headed back to the counter where he had stacks of games with several Mafia IIs and Spidermans. Then I spotted it. Metro 2033, in one of his stacks. It was so close, yet so far away. If only I would have gotten there earlier I would have saved it from his filthy, hoarding hands.

I waited in line until he finished paying. He took 56 games, and paid around $420. Then he put them inside his box and went away. As one employee was looking for my games in the drawer, the other one told me they were expecting him. They were called from another store he had visited. I could only imagine how full his trunk was. I'll never forget my first encounter with El Hoardo.

P.S. Sorry I got carried away, I just never thought I would see El Hoardo in action.

Best method of dealing with El Horado outside of an Elephant Gun is to simply inform the BBV employees of what he is intending to do with all of those games and that they have the right to refuse to sell him that many at once.

Sounds odd since the store should be forced to sell as many copies as someone wants but thats not always the case. The store has a right to refuse anyone service as long as that refusal isn't based on race, religion, etc. Think "No Shoes, No Shirt. No Service."

Short term El Horado is good for BBV since they get rid of inventory in one swoop but long term it disappoints a lot of gamers who couldn't find the game they were looking for because of Elephant Man. Customers who can't find the games they want won't be coming back more often then not.

I understand flipping and I myself will sell a copy of a game after I've played it but I cannot stand the guys who buy 10 copies of every game just to make 2 dollars off each one.

[quote name='emg28']Anyone have an opinion on Kingdom Hearts Recoded? I found 3 copies at a local Blockbuster but I passed since I was turned off to the DS versions by KH: 358/2 Days.[/QUOTE]

It's a fun game, more so than 358/2 days, imo. However, it's the only game in the series that doesn't add to the story.
If it didn't exist, nothing would be different. It tries to bypass this with some minor dialogue revealing... well, nothing.

It takes place in the middle of Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts 2 -- about the same timeframe as 358/2. But the end of it - Edit, guess that's bad to say. My favorite part of the game was the constantly changing battle modes within it. You'll play just like Super Paper Mario sometimes, and other times like a shooter.

Aside from that, you can finish the game before you hit lvl 15. And the dialogue between characters is more or less manga-like dialogue. It's flat, 2D pictures that express some overly done emotion, switching back and forth, FOR THE ENTIRE GAME.

[quote name='izpep']Best method of dealing with El Horado outside of an Elephant Gun[/QUOTE]
I prefer the bolt pistol used by Anton Chigurh in No country for old men. That thing ruled.

bread's done
Back