The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Didn't even realize Metro was an option! Is there a list posted yet of which ones are under 15? I would love to find a couple of good ones, but am having trouble remembering what I don't own once I'm there, lol! :) I need to go out to snag another movie I missed, so I'm hoping to have some luck with games ... somewhere!

[quote name='arsenal_fan']I prefer the bolt pistol used by Anton Chigurh in No country for old men. That thing ruled.[/QUOTE]

And, lol, I was thinking something along the lines of Just Cause 2 with a grappling hook! ;)

[quote name='izpep']Best method of dealing with El Horado outside of an Elephant Gun is to simply inform the BBV employees of what he is intending to do with all of those games and that they have the right to refuse to sell him that many at once.

Sounds odd since the store should be forced to sell as many copies as someone wants but thats not always the case. The store has a right to refuse anyone service as long as that refusal isn't based on race, religion, etc. Think "No Shoes, No Shirt. No Service."

Short term El Horado is good for BBV since they get rid of inventory in one swoop but long term it disappoints a lot of gamers who couldn't find the game they were looking for because of Elephant Man. Customers who can't find the games they want won't be coming back more often then not.

I understand flipping and I myself will sell a copy of a game after I've played it but I cannot stand the guys who buy 10 copies of every game just to make 2 dollars off each one.[/QUOTE]
Actually for those wanting to stop El Hoardo in his tracks, they could point to the fine print on the bottom of the signs for the sale, which state there is a limit on quantities.;)

As for flipping/profiting from this sale, believe me a true flipper will have checked the values of the games being reported as available in this sale and weighed the cost to profit ratio long before the sale began.

I know I did and if I even bothered with this sale it was going to be for something to PLAY as I don't want to spend real cash to make credit at some store/website.:roll: Besides which, this is not a true BOGO if the 'free' game has to be of a much lower value than the one you pay for. If it were 'buy any priced game, get any priced(of lower or equal value) game free' I'd have been there day one to buy a couple higher value games I've been wanting to play.

But as it stands, I have 2 copies of Fallout New Vegas(including a sealed CE) already and that was the only halfway decent $14.99 game my closest store had that I could've picked up as the 'free' title.

Is Medal of Honor, Mafia 2 & Star Wards Unleashed 2 supposed to be $14.99?

They were all $19.99 at my BB :(

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Wow IO that's all u have at ur store. Our stores around here are all well stocked with my store sitting at 423 games after today's transfers. Granted a lot of them are multiples but we still have tons of the usual suspects even with me buying some of them.[/QUOTE]

My store is almost as shitty as IO's. About a 4 foot stack would fit all the games with 2 feet being multiple copies of the same title and 1 foot being games that have been sitting there for years. There's a better store 25 minutes away but didn't see anything I wanted.

[quote name='Cerebral_One']My store is almost as shitty as IO's. About a 4 foot stack would fit all the games with 2 feet being multiple copies of the same title and 1 foot being games that have been sitting there for years. There's a better store 25 minutes away but didn't see anything I wanted.[/QUOTE]
If they were to stack up all of the used games at my closest BBV, about a foot to a foot and a half of the stack would be just the 12-15 copies of :ps3:Fallout New Vegas they had on the shelf the night before the sale started.

Hit up my local BBV and didn't see much. Was really hoping for FF13, MoH or uncharted 2, but they mostly had sports games, new vegas (5 copies for Ps3) and force unleashed 2.

Are the clearanced game guides still supposed to be so expensive? The soft cover final fantasy 13 guide was only labeled 50% ($12.99 instead of $24.99). I asked for a price scan but it looked like the two clerks were lying to me and they said it was the labeled price. They also wouldn't let me look at the screen. So are standard soft cover guides 75% off or 50% off?

[quote name='oc_bastard']Never had any of my BBVs write in marker on the disc....ever. :whistle2:s

Best thing I can recommend is using a small amount of isopropanol/rubbing alcohol and gently try to remove the marker. Be a little conservative with it (and the amount of pressure you apply to the disc) since you just want to rub the marker off without damaging the disc or the disc artwork.[/QUOTE]

I'd say about half the games I've gotten there have numbers written directly on the disc. Rubbing alcohol didn't work when I tried, just smeared it.

Are the clearanced game guides still supposed to be so expensive? The soft cover final fantasy 13 guide was only labeled 50% ($12.99 instead of $24.99). I asked for a price scan but it looked like the two clerks were lying to me and they said it was the labeled price. They also wouldn't let me look at the screen. So are standard soft cover guides 75% off or 50% off?

I thought they went back to regular price as the 50% off was supposed to be during the clearance sale. I'll have to check on that tomorrow

The new games we had at 75% off during the sale are back to regular price. LBP is back to $29.99 which makes a lot of sense.

^^ Interesting, because at one store on Friday I saw a new Fallout New Vegas for PS3 with the $15 price tag on it. It was just dumped in the bin with all the used games (but was in a security case). Had I not gotten it a month ago for $7.50 I might have tried to buy it. So I guess it will ring up $59.99 now?

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Wow IO that's all u have at ur store. Our stores around here are all well stocked with my store sitting at 423 games after today's transfers. Granted a lot of them are multiples but we still have tons of the usual suspects even with me buying some of them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it has always been that way. I haven't had a good selection at a local BBV since the Gamerush store went away 4 years ago. They had a TON of used games back then, but they didn't have these sales back then either - it was all about trading games in for bonus deals and getting cheap preorders on new games. Granted, some of the stores around here are better than my local one, but I don't think any of them have anything near 423 used games.

If I go in there one more time today or tomorrow I'll take a picture of the entire game stock. It will not be impressive. Pretty much all I can ever count on for these sales are the really common, over-bought games that every store everywhere has: things like Fallout New Vegas and Star Wars Force Unleashed II. There aren't even that many copies of Super Mario Galaxy 2 around here. I think I saw 3 spread across 6 stores but the cases/cover art/manuals were beat up and ripped in all 3 cases so I passed. I considered it a HUGE find when I found God of War Collection at a far away store on Friday - that was probably my best "surprise" find of the sale (it is $14.99). Also, I was somewhat surprised to see Metroid Other M - and that was even at my local store. I bought it even though I already have the game. Mine is still sealed, though, so I was thinking I could sell it for a few more bucks than the BBV copy cost, at least.

[quote name='JKSonic']I'd say about half the games I've gotten there have numbers written directly on the disc. Rubbing alcohol didn't work when I tried, just smeared it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've seen this at ONE store in my area about a year ago and I haven't been back there since. But I did try to send one of these into Amazon and even though it just had tiny numbers writtin on the label side (saying "101" I think), NorAm rejected it. I think I turned right around and sent it to Gazelle with no problem.

[quote name='DesertLeo']Mine told me they weren't doing the sale. Anyone else have this issue?[/QUOTE]

If it is a franchise store they may not be doing it. Otherwise, unfortunately, since this one is not automatic like all other B1G1 sales in the past, if they aren't aware of it or willing to look up the bar code that needs to be used, then you are out of luck. Either they are just ignorant about it or maybe the manager made a decision not to participate (never heard of this before and I'm not sure they can make that call but you never know). On Friday I went to 4 or 5 stores and most of them did not have signage up and a couple didn't know how to ring it up - but in each case they were at least aware there was a sale and figured it out eventually.

Shattered dimension was 20 at my BBC..so I couldn't get dead rising and shattered free..was only b1g1 on 1499 games

[quote name='DesertLeo']Mine told me they weren't doing the sale. Anyone else have this issue?[/QUOTE]

Mine was doing a buy 2 get 1 free. I didn't even realize it until I walked up to the counter with 2 games, and he said "you might as well grab another one" and I was like ahh, WTF! So I grabbed Obscure: The Aftermath for Wii....NOOOOOO!!!! Actually the game was kind of interesting, but I'm going to swap it out for a different game me thinks. I did get Mirror's Edge and Okami so it wasn't a total bust.

[quote name='JKSonic']I'd say about half the games I've gotten there have numbers written directly on the disc. Rubbing alcohol didn't work when I tried, just smeared it.[/QUOTE]

Magic Eraser...may take the paint off too though.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If they were to stack up all of the used games at my closest BBV, about a foot to a foot and a half of the stack would be just the 12-15 copies of :ps3:Fallout New Vegas they had on the shelf the night before the sale started.[/QUOTE]

Ya I recall seeing many of those! :lol:

[quote name='PublikDefender']Are the clearanced game guides still supposed to be so expensive? The soft cover final fantasy 13 guide was only labeled 50% ($12.99 instead of $24.99). I asked for a price scan but it looked like the two clerks were lying to me and they said it was the labeled price. They also wouldn't let me look at the screen. So are standard soft cover guides 75% off or 50% off?[/QUOTE]

I tried to buy a guide too but it had gone back up to full price.

[quote name='Rictor']Magic Eraser...may take the paint off too though.[/QUOTE]

Lighter fluid(like for Zippo lighters, not charcoal lighter fluid:razz:) works to take off marker as well. Again, just be careful as it may take off more than the marker as well.:whistle2:#

[quote name='xbx4lfe']Shattered dimension was 20 at my BBC..so I couldn't get dead rising and shattered free..was only b1g1 on 1499 games[/QUOTE]

Cool brotherhood story bro

Went to my last store. It was cleaned out of everything worth buying. One of the employees told El Hoardo bought more than 40 games. I suspect it was the same guy I encountered before :bomb:

Got Star Wars TFU 2 for my friend and bioshock 2 for myself. I originally planned on getting FEAR 2 because of my 2 for $50 TRU order on FEAR 3, but it was backordered and probably won't even ship for a while so i just said "screw it." Pretty happy to get both of those for about $16. Plus, my friend paid me back (only $15, the cheapskate) so i guess i got Bioshock 2 for $1.

[quote name='PlowK1NG']Went to my last store. It was cleaned out of everything worth buying. One of the employees told El Hoardo bought more than 40 games. I suspect it was the same guy I encountered before :bomb:[/QUOTE]
yeah i got the same story. was this in nanuet ny?

Metroid Other M - $15
Singularity(360) - free (9.99 otherwise)

Medal of Honor (360)
Super Mario Galaxy - free (14.99) (this was the steal of the year for me, the guy converted a rental for me)

Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 (360) x2 -14.99 for both
Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 (PS3) x2 - 14.99 for both

Assassins Creed Brotherhood 360 - $20
Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 (PS3) - free (14.99)

Spiderman Shattered Dimensions 360 - $20
Battlefield Bad Company 2 360 - free (14.99)

Didnt realize it tho but one of the 360 TFU2 was 9.99. I grouped it with the other TFU2 but I had Singularity with Metroid Other M. If I would have put Sing with TFU2, I would have saved another $5. :( Still a beastly sale. Grabbed Mario Galaxy 2 the other day with Fallout NV for $26. So less than $20 after I trade in NV and got Mario Galaxy for $8. Both for about $30.Thanks Hawaiiboy.

[quote name='xbx4lfe']Shattered dimension was 20 at my BBC..so I couldn't get dead rising and shattered free..was only b1g1 on 1499 games[/QUOTE]

Weird, I bought Dead Rising 2 and got Assassins Creed Brotherhood for free, both were marked as $19.99.

At my folks for 4th of July, hit the only corporate store in the area next town over. Got Transformers: WFC free with Spiderman: SD. Kinda why I hate living in the south, people confuse me. Guy says to me, sorry man both games have to be $14.99 or under to get the BOGO, but it gave you a small discount, Your total for the 2 games is 21.xx. #-oThen he proceeds to say Shh dont tell anyone, I may have messed up since the game is really marked $24.99. He was cool & I got the right prices that HB stated plus the BOGO but really dont sit there and say I'm not getting them when obviously I did.
Store had almost everything though, my son got for his WII Disney Channel All Stars and Transformers Cybertron Adventures. They had singularity but I didnt know what else to pair with it, maybe N3II?

[quote name='Rictor']Magic Eraser...may take the paint off too though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Lighter fluid(like for Zippo lighters, not charcoal lighter fluid:razz:) works to take off marker as well. Again, just be careful as it may take off more than the marker as well.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

The above methods can remove too much.

*****Please test this on a cheap disk******

Try this:
Get a Dry-Eraser Marker (any color) and write over the marker. Wait 3 seconds and wipe it off......I couldn't believe myself, but it only removes the inks (the first and second layers). Rinse and repeat if the marker is stil there.

[quote name='Readthepost']The above methods can remove too much.

*****Please test this on a cheap disk******

Try this:
Get a Dry-Eraser Marker (any color) and write over the marker. Wait 3 seconds and wipe it off......I couldn't believe myself, but it only removes the inks (the first and second layers). Rinse and repeat if the marker is stil there.[/QUOTE]

Last month, I accidentally wrote with a sharpie on a whiteboard (stupid me!). I actually did what you suggested above and it worked perfectly.

One of my SWFUII cds had a number written on it with a permanent marker. Took it back for exchange and *all* the copies my BBV had left had numbers written on them too. :( Not sure what was up with that...managed to get the number off using some nail polish remover and a q-tip. Didn't damage the cd art at all, but would recommend trying on a cheap cd first.

[quote name='PlowK1NG']

Bewildered, I walked briskly to the games section to see the damage he caused. "Bastard" I uttered. He had taken the last copies of Metro 2033 and Singularity. I saw him coming back for more games, so quickly grabbed Earth Defense Force 2017, and Lego Rock Band. I headed back to the counter where he had stacks of games with several Mafia IIs and Spidermans. Then I spotted it. Metro 2033, in one of his stacks. It was so close, yet so far away. If only I would have gotten there earlier I would have saved it from his filthy, hoarding hands.
[/QUOTE]

Now... did you even bother asking if you could have Metro 2033? I guarantee you that he would say yes. He might be greedy in your eyes for trying to flip games, but to be fair, you didn't even give him a chance to show that he could be a decent human being.

Yeah today I found
2 - uncharted 2
Super Mario galaxy 2
God of war iii
God of war collection
SSFIV 360
3 - bfbc2 ps3
Lego Harry potter ps3
All this from 2 stores!
Couldn't believe it.

I basically got everything I wanted out of this sale, plus I got myself within range of my new laptop with some BB trade-ins of Force Unleashed 2. (I didn't feel bad doing this each store I went to had about 300 copies.)

[quote name='PlowK1NG'] Bewildered, I walked briskly to the games section to see the damage he caused. "Bastard" I uttered. He had taken the last copies of Metro 2033 and Singularity. I saw him coming back for more games, so quickly grabbed Earth Defense Force 2017, and Lego Rock Band.
[/QUOTE]

Way to keep El Hoardo from getting his filthy hands on EDF. Enjoy it man, that game is awesome.

I didn't find too terribly much today aside from one store almost having an entire shelf of SW:TF2 that they are trying to get rid of. I got:

:ps3: Star Wars The Force Unleashed II - $15
:ps3: Final Fantasy XIII - Free
:360: Sonic Unleashed - $6.99
:ps3: Condemned 2 - Free

I was thrilled to find that FFXIII, although I just used a $5 coupon to buy it from FailStop. Looks like it's about to get returned. :D

[quote name='DarkRider23']Now... did you even bother asking if you could have Metro 2033? I guarantee you that he would say yes. He might be greedy in your eyes for trying to flip games, but to be fair, you didn't even give him a chance to show that he could be a decent human being.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I should have asked. I was just too busy thinking of every single cuss word I knew. I guess i'll stop by Kmart someday and pick it up for $5.

Looks like it's the last day of the deal. I'll be making one final stop to see the warzone that is BBV after this sale tomorrow. Hopefully they have a couple of cheap games left I could maybe pick up.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']Way to keep El Hoardo from getting his filthy hands on EDF. Enjoy it man, that game is awesome.

I didn't find too terribly much today aside from one store almost having an entire shelf of SW:TF2 that they are trying to get rid of. I got:

:ps3: Star Wars The Force Unleashed II - $15
:ps3: Final Fantasy XIII - Free
:360: Sonic Unleashed - $6.99
:ps3: Condemned 2 - Free

I was thrilled to find that FFXIII, although I just used a $5 coupon to buy it from FailStop. Looks like it's about to get returned. :D[/QUOTE]

Oh you poor poor soul, the ps3 version of condemned 2 is one of the worst ports you will ever see. The sound is horrible with the snap crackle pop sounds you will hear in the background and when you pick up a weapon to use you won't be able to see the weapon's stats completely cause half of the stats at the bottom right corner are cut off. Oh and the graphics don't look good either as they are kind of blurry in some parts. This was as bad and lazy of a port as the ps3 version of lost planet. I don't know how I finished this mediocre game.

I think I may go in and pick up Iron Man 1 and 2 for 360. I know they're not the greatest games, but I love Iron Man and comic book games in general, despite how half-assed most of them are.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Oh you poor poor soul, the ps3 version of condemned 2 is one of the worst ports you will ever see. The sound is horrible with the snap crackle pop sounds you will hear in the background and when you pick up a weapon to use you won't be able to see the weapon's stats completely cause half of the stats at the bottom right corner are cut off. Oh and the graphics don't look good either as they are kind of blurry in some parts. This was as bad and lazy of a port as the ps3 version of lost planet. I don't know how I finished this mediocre game.[/QUOTE]

I think i can deal with it for $3.50.

If you bump into El Hoardos they usually drop their games like pennies on the floor. If you drop your stuff at the same time you can help him pick up the games and take some of them, leaving your crap behind for him to pick up.

As far as marker writing on games, I recommend putting some lube on your dick and rubbing in a circular motion.

I've been gone to Canada for the weekend and just got back.
I hope el hoardo has not raided the stores near by. ):
I only managed to grab AssBro and KZ2 on Friday before I left. ):

went back to get a bit more:
Wii:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 24.99

360:
Ninety Nine Nights 2 14.99
SSF4 14.99

PS3:
Red Dead Redemption 24.99...maybe i shoulda left this one since it will drop at gamestop soon...

Picked up 2xTransformers war for cybertron, Mafia 2, and ufc 2011 for about $38 yesterday. One transformers for me the other for a pal, co-op.

[quote name='Tsel']I think I may go in and pick up Iron Man 1 and 2 for 360. I know they're not the greatest games, but I love Iron Man and comic book games in general, despite how half-assed most of them are.[/QUOTE]

Did the same but for PS3. No hesitation since I haven't gotten either in my collection. Was tempted to find other games to pair, since 2 was $9.99 (marked $14.99) and 1 was $6.99 (marked $9.99). Had No More Heroes 2 ($9.99) but put it back b/c I doubt I'd find a decent $6.99 game to go with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back