The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bajingo']is this over as of yesterday? vyse up top says he went today[/QUOTE]

Check his the timestamp though, for me it says 1:29 am.

[quote name='lukewin']Check his the timestamp though, for me it says 1:29 am.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, has a timestamp of yesterday for me. 11:29pm.

[quote name='fishwaterjohn']I'm not 110% on this but I wanna say they are gonna go past the date (7/4/2011); I'm gonna head to a BBV in the next couple of hours and will update, it could be a YMMV but I overheard several employees (yesterday) talking about it going on for a couple more days?[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:#

Done in Birmingham......

whaaaat... for some reason I thought the sale went thru the 5th, so I only purchased 2 games when I went in a few days ago when it first started (SWTFU:2 and Halo Wars), planned on going back on the 5th, damn.

it's done in MA, I called a couple of stores. In May, I went in after it was over and one store in the area had a "manager's special" on the games and was continuing the sale for a few days. No such luck this time around. It might be worth calling or checking in other states.

I went today to exchange some games at my local store that I picked up on vacation over the weekend. Some of the discs were scratched, some were missing manuals, and some I just didn't want to begin with, some picked up during the sale to exchange for other games when I got home. He gave me the run-around about how the sale is over now, and anything that came back to the store had to be defective. He said that I couldn't just return or "exchange games" from store to store because "if they wanted us to have these titles, they'd have shipped them to us." Nowhere was I ever told or does it say that pre-owned sales are non-returnable aside from being defective.

From now on I'll head to the other BBV in my area :)

Or... better yet... scratch the disc to hell and then come back saying it didn't work. Seems like I'd get less shit that way.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']I went today to exchange some games at my local store that I picked up on vacation over the weekend. Some of the discs were scratched, some were missing manuals, and some I just didn't want to begin with, some picked up during the sale to exchange for other games when I got home. He gave me the run-around about how the sale is over now, and anything that came back to the store had to be defective. He said that I couldn't just return or "exchange games" from store to store because "if they wanted us to have these titles, they'd have shipped them to us." Nowhere was I ever told or does it say that pre-owned sales are non-returnable aside from being defective.

From now on I'll head to the other BBV in my area :)

Or... better yet... scratch the disc to hell and then come back saying it didn't work. Seems like I'd get less shit that way.[/QUOTE]
Gee, it really stinks that an employee is following a policy that is stated at nearly every sale and is well known to followers of this thread.

I think I will just engage in return fraud.

It is unfortunate if you were truly not made aware of the policy, but you had plenty of opportunity to become aware of it if you were planning on making returns or exchanges by simply posting here in advance. You would have been informed "right quick".

Alright, I'm confused. I thought the games like AC: Brotherhood, Dead Rising 2, and Mafia 2 were all $20. Did they have a price drop on Monday?

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Gee, it really stinks that an employee is following a policy that is stated at nearly every sale and is well known to followers of this thread.

It is unfortunate if you were truly not made aware of the policy, but you had plenty of opportunity to become aware of it if you were planning on making returns or exchanges by simply posting here in advance. You would have been informed "right quick".[/QUOTE]
:applause::applause:

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Gee, it really stinks that an employee is following a policy that is stated at nearly every sale and is well known to followers of this thread.

It is unfortunate if you were truly not made aware of the policy, but you had plenty of opportunity to become aware of it if you were planning on making returns or exchanges by simply posting here in advance. You would have been informed "right quick".[/QUOTE]

I only started shopping at BBV during the previous B1G1/clearance sales. The only thing I'd been told regarding returns is that I had 30 days to return the items, even if they were clearanced out, and that games were guaranteed to work. I asked multiple times, different employees, different stores. I even exchanged games from store to store during the previous sale with no problems. Now all of a sudden it's a well-known policy? BS. What kind of mainstream store sells items with no return policy whatsoever?

I've always known BBV's policy on returns to be if the game or movie is defective only they'll swap it out for the exact title only. It is a well-known policy.

You ask what kind of mainstream store sells items with no return policy, but we're talking about used items. The normal return rules of merchants aren't going to apply.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']I only started shopping at BBV during the previous B1G1/clearance sales. The only thing I'd been told regarding returns is that I had 30 days to return the items, even if they were clearanced out, and that games were guaranteed to work. I asked multiple times, different employees, different stores. I even exchanged games from store to store during the previous sale with no problems. Now all of a sudden it's a well-known policy? BS. What kind of mainstream store sells items with no return policy whatsoever?[/QUOTE]
If you listened closely, it was 30 days "if defective". Heck, I had a defective PSP game (remember those at BBV?) that had completely come apart and I had to beg for a store credit (no exchange for obvious reasons).

I have also been able to exchange a game/case/manual during these B1G1 sales, but it has been at the discretion of the manager with whom I was very politely asking for said breach of policy.

[quote name='srr']What mainstream store lets you return open media (dvds, games) for something different?[/QUOTE]

Get ready for the flaming. Return fraud isn't something CAG is very fond of.

PapaSmerf's point is that they aren't "defective." Just like GameStop or any other used games seller, you should check the discs and cases at the store and before you pay. You're probably like myself that likes pristine and complete games, but you gotta put some effort into it and make it happen. That's why I try to dodge buying used unless it's a really good sale.

But, the friendly store in my area lets grab manuals and artwork as I need it as long as I ask. And normally the cashier and I look through the discs together to see how good the conditions are.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Get ready for the flaming. Return fraud isn't something CAG is very fond of.[/QUOTE]

Hold your horses there! His question was rhetorical (I think). No decent store does that, and I think we all know that.

Hey guys since the sale is basicly dead now how did you all do ? I had fun with it thats for Sure ! Oh and I beat blood stone 007 earlier ( backlog down to 6 Yea baby ) I hope you people brought it during the sale cause its really fun !

[quote name='srr']What mainstream store lets you return open media (dvds, games) for something different?[/QUOTE]

moviestop/gamestop. I dont like the BBV return policy either, in fact I wont buy anything from them without checking the quality of the disc and verifying they have multiple copies left. Bought Repo Men during one of those 5 for $20 deals a few months ago and it wouldn't play. Because there were no more in stock I couldnt return/exchange even at another store.

[quote name='imacgod']
But, the friendly store in my area lets grab manuals and artwork as I need it as long as I ask.
[/QUOTE]

Took me awhile but I finally found a store that lets me do that! picked up 5 instruction manuals today....now if I could just find the stash of penny guides...:drool:

That's the only thing I've always been annoyed at with at Blockbuster is the return policy on used shit. Only way around the policy is waiting till something is completely outta stock in store within the policy period n hoping like hell for a manager to credit you or to let you grab something else.

Otherwise you're SOL, so that's why you check those discs and cases BEFORE leaving cuz if something just isn't to your liking a week after you buy it and it's NOT defective, then too fuckin' bad is their opinion.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's the only thing I've always been annoyed at with at Blockbuster is the return policy on used shit. Only way around the policy is waiting till something is completely outta stock in store within the policy period n hoping like hell for a manager to credit you or to let you grab something else.

Otherwise you're SOL, so that's why you check those discs and cases BEFORE leaving cuz if something just isn't to your liking a week after you buy it and it's NOT defective, then too fuckin' bad is their opinion.[/QUOTE]

Or, like, only buy games at BBV that you intend to own for as long as it takes to drive to BB :)

Well when they have one employee working and he's at the register, I have 14 games in my hand and there is a line of 6 people behind me, I try to be polite and expedite the process as much as I can. I didn't realize it'd turn into such a big deal in the future.

For the record, Gamestop lets you return a preowned game within 7 days for a full refund or exchange, and a swap up to 30 if it's defective. Best Buy lets you return/exchange an unopened game the same as any other product since they re-shrinkwrap theirs. I don't know their policy on defective games, but I doubt they have many since they actually physically test them (supposedly).

Either way, any of the number of employees should've made this clear to me when I asked all of them. In the end I got what I wanted so I can't complain too much, but he was very rude about it and made me late for work :p

Took back a cracked copy of :ps3:SWFU 2 the other day, the silly girl gave me the full 14.99 credit and I got 2 more bogo games... I told her it should be 7.50 but she wanted to argue so I dropped the issue. Another store around here expressly told me they would give cash refund back if it was too scratched regardless of whether they have the same title in stock. Different strokes for different folks.

In regards to checking disc condition, I bought my last 8 Monday night and the girl got literally angry that I didnt want 2 of the discs that were heavily scratched. She literally threw them down when I handed them back to her. People that work at BBV take themselves too seriously and it is a small miracle all the discs were not messed up treating them like that!

[quote name='killercane']Took back a cracked copy of :ps3:SWFU 2 the other day, the silly girl gave me the full 14.99 credit and I got 2 more bogo games... I told her it should be 7.50 but she wanted to argue so I dropped the issue. Another store around here expressly told me they would give cash refund back if it was too scratched regardless of whether they have the same title in stock. Different strokes for different folks.

In regards to checking disc condition, I bought my last 8 Monday night and the girl got literally angry that I didnt want 2 of the discs that were heavily scratched. She literally threw them down when I handed them back to her. People that work at BBV take themselves too seriously and it is a small miracle all the discs were not messed up treating them like that![/QUOTE]

Why the heck would you argue that ? Just take the money and run lol

[quote name='strait edge follower']Why the heck would you argue that ? Just take the money and run lol[/QUOTE]
Because maybe they were trying to NOT get that employee in trouble and do the right thing? It's rare but some of us DO actually ask employees to double check when something seems to be SNAFU'd because we don't want the employee to potentially risk losing their job over such an error.

I've done it with pennied guides at GS and BB before, as well as clearance games at BB and other places, since I know I would like the same common courtesy if I were to be the employee in that situation.

But in cases where the employee is a total asshat to me when I'm simply trying to verify something will or won't work(@Gamer coupons stacking with sale prices, Blockbuster BOGO sale barcode working with higher priced games) AND the employee happens to be a manager who should know their store's own system by now, then the gloves come off and I may not care and/or report them.

I'm still really considering reporting the one store manager from my closest BBV for getting snippy with me when I asked if the BOGO barcode would work with two like priced higher than $14.99 priced games last weekend, saying that 'we know you resell them so no the free one has to be $15 or under and I won't allow the other one to be higher priced'.

To talk to a customer(even one they know that does tend to know when they're doing promos and sales BEFORE they do;)) like that is inexcusable imo.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Because maybe they were trying to NOT get that employee in trouble and do the right thing? It's rare but some of us DO actually ask employees to double check when something seems to be SNAFU'd because we don't want the employee to potentially risk losing their job over such an error.

I've done it with pennied guides at GS and BB before, as well as clearance games at BB and other places, since I know I would like the same common courtesy if I were to be the employee in that situation.

But in cases where the employee is a total asshat to me when I'm simply trying to verify something will or won't work(@Gamer coupons stacking with sale prices, Blockbuster BOGO sale barcode working with higher priced games) AND the employee happens to be a manager who should know their store's own system by now, then the gloves come off and I may not care and/or report them.

I'm still really considering reporting the one store manager from my closest BBV for getting snippy with me when I asked if the BOGO barcode would work with two like priced higher than $14.99 priced games last weekend, saying that 'we know you resell them so no the free one has to be $15 or under and I won't allow the other one to be higher priced'.

To talk to a customer(even one they know that does tend to know when they're doing promos and sales BEFORE they do;)) like that is inexcusable imo.[/QUOTE]

If that casher was talking to me like that when I was politlely pointing out a possible error then I would take that 14.99 and run. If You treat customers like that then you deserve to loose your job anyway

[quote name='xskaxninjax']Well when they have one employee working and he's at the register, I have 14 games in my hand and there is a line of 6 people behind me, I try to be polite and expedite the process as much as I can. I didn't realize it'd turn into such a big deal in the future.

For the record, Gamestop lets you return a preowned game within 7 days for a full refund or exchange, and a swap up to 30 if it's defective. Best Buy lets you return/exchange an unopened game the same as any other product since they re-shrinkwrap theirs. I don't know their policy on defective games, but I doubt they have many since they actually physically test them (supposedly).

Either way, any of the number of employees should've made this clear to me when I asked all of them. In the end I got what I wanted so I can't complain too much, but he was very rude about it and made me late for work :p[/QUOTE]

FYI Blockbuster is in the business of renting movies and games. Best Buy and Gamestop aren't. To let you return and exchange used non-defective games basically gives you a free rental. You can probably see how that would be exploited. Most retailers will not let you return opened movies or games unless defective. Most retailers of used items of any kind do not allow returns or exchanges unless the item is defective. Return policies are whatever the business wants. There is probably a sign in the store stating the policy and the employees should have told you but, as you said, they were busy.

[quote name='Tropicat']FYI Blockbuster is in the business of renting movies and games. Best Buy and Gamestop aren't. To let you return and exchange used non-defective games basically gives you a free rental. You can probably see how that would be exploited. Most retailers will not let you return opened movies or games unless defective. Most retailers of used items of any kind do not allow returns or exchanges unless the item is defective. Return policies are whatever the business wants. There is probably a sign in the store stating the policy and the employees should have told you but, as you said, they were busy.[/QUOTE]

Probably to busy pushing the rental and candy promos on people... ugg its like face to face telemarketers in my stores

[quote name='Derrick1979']Probably to busy pushing the rental and candy promos on people... ugg its like face to face telemarketers in my stores[/QUOTE]

:lol: Between the BB candy and Gamestop preorder harassment I think Best Buy will start to get all of my business.

[quote name='killercane']In regards to checking disc condition, I bought my last 8 Monday night and the girl got literally angry that I didnt want 2 of the discs that were heavily scratched. She literally threw them down when I handed them back to her. People that work at BBV take themselves too seriously and it is a small miracle all the discs were not messed up treating them like that![/QUOTE]

Probably because she had already rung them up. There is no way to void items in a transaction on the BBV system. They have to manually put in a credit. I assume at some stores employees get a hard time for having rung up credits and the like.
I'm just guessing here though.

^Couldn't she just have looked for another copy of each or taken the rental versions' discs? I suppose it would have been too much of a hassle and/or there could have been no extra copies of each game.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Get ready for the flaming. Return fraud isn't something CAG is very fond of.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you understood my post - I was noting that BBV's return policy was in line with just about all other retailers of media.

[quote name='kingsnuff']:lol: Between the BB candy and Gamestop preorder harassment I think Best Buy will start to get all of my business.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy is always trying to sell me magazine subscriptions or product replacement plans or other crap at checkout.

[quote name='Rictor']Best Buy is always trying to sell me magazine subscriptions or product replacement plans or other crap at checkout.[/QUOTE]

So true. I'm tired of being asked if I want a product replacement plan on a game I purchase. I'm pretty sure the game won't even be worth the cash I spent on the plan in a year or two.

Not to mention the fact that most games I get there stay in my hands for a couple weeks max, haha.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']So true. I'm tired of being asked if I want a product replacement plan on a game I purchase. I'm pretty sure the game won't even be worth the cash I spent on the plan in a year or two.

Not to mention the fact that most games I get there stay in my hands for a couple weeks max, haha.[/QUOTE]

Lol product replacement maybe I should only deal with amazon I can handle the recommendation emails

I get depressed every time I see this thread still on page 1 and then realize it's just "after conversations"...you're toying with my emotions, people.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I get depressed every time I see this thread still on page 1 and then realize it's just "after conversations"...you're toying with my emotions, people.[/QUOTE]

Same here haha

Sucks I missed out on this sale. I stopped by my local store on Fri morn on my way out of town and I guess the employee didn't know about the barcode yet (it was exactly 10 am). Oh well, I guess there's always hoping there'll be another one.

Well I'm not expecting any more B1G1 sales for a while lol but hopefully Mafia II gets a drop down to 15$ in the near future I still missed out on that.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']So true. I'm tired of being asked if I want a product replacement plan on a game I purchase. I'm pretty sure the game won't even be worth the cash I spent on the plan in a year or two.

Not to mention the fact that most games I get there stay in my hands for a couple weeks max, haha.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the girl was trying to sell me a $2-3 replacement plan for a game I bought for 9.99

[quote name='janesvilleninja']i need a find a copy of White Knight Chronicles :(
[/QUOTE]

If you haven't played it by now, I'd just wait until September and get WKC 2, since it comes with the original.

[quote name='dyeknom']If you haven't played it by now, I'd just wait until September and get WKC 2, since it comes with the original.[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it, lol.

[quote name='dyeknom']If you haven't played it by now, I'd just wait until September and get WKC 2, since it comes with the original.[/QUOTE]

That is true, but theres certainly a reason to still play 1. If I recall you're forced to play though 1's story before playing 2 unless you have a completed gamesave. Theres also plenty of time to grind and transfer over cash/supplies. Nothing better than grinding before the grind XD

[quote name='admiralvic']That is true, but theres certainly a reason to still play 1. If I recall you're forced to play though 1's story before playing 2 unless you have a completed gamesave. Theres also plenty of time to grind and transfer over cash/supplies. Nothing better than grinding before the grind XD[/QUOTE]

They changed that in the US version, you can start from game 2 right away.

[quote name='admiralvic']That is true, but theres certainly a reason to still play 1. If I recall you're forced to play though 1's story before playing 2 unless you have a completed gamesave. Theres also plenty of time to grind and transfer over cash/supplies. Nothing better than grinding before the grind XD[/QUOTE]

Not required to play through, though recommended.. but there's little sense in buying it twice unless the goal is to platinum the game/get the armor in your apartment (in which case, good luck as it really is a grindfest). ^^. Grinding isn't much of an issue since it will start you at like 35 with various skills.

bread's done
Back