The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
man sounds like a horror show out there with so many uninformed stores and prices all over the place. Should be mostly store managers working and it goes to show how incompetent most of them can be.

[quote name='RCS0926']Why didn't you just buy DR2 and get TFU2 for free? That still sounds like a good deal, or was your store only doing a B1G1 free on $14.99 and under games?[/QUOTE]

$15 and under.

Lame. :cry:

Had some games set aside for me last night and went in to pick them up today. Only one clerk was there and she was talking with a customer so I decided to look around while I waited to see if anything new got added.

Went through the bin and nothing checked a couple shelves nothing, the other guy left so I decided to get my games and head out when I saw one last end cap shelf. Just a bunch of MvC 3 but when I flipped through them I found a copy of FFXIII all the way in the back, good stuff.

Ended up getting Fallout: NV, Final Fantasy XIII, Skate 3, and Star Wars: Force Unleashed 2 for $31.

Btw, I checked my receipt and my copy of :ps3: Dead Space 2 did ring up as $19.99 instead of the stickered price of $14.99 so the clerk must have done a price adjustment on it that I wasn't aware of to bring it down to $14.99.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']man sounds like a horror show out there with so many uninformed stores and prices all over the place. Should be mostly store managers working and it goes to show how incompetent most of them can be.[/QUOTE]

If our store says that it's only $15 and under what SPECIFICALLY should we tell them? Do we tell them about a specific email or memo or something?

[quote name='hawaiiboy']ask them to check their communication update.[/QUOTE]

From HB this morning. Granted, I wouldn't know if the terms of the sale are specified in their most recent update, or only in one of the original ones HB mentioned to light this thread back up this past week.

Edit: Or better yet, ignore me, and follow what HB just said below vvvvvvv :D

just tell them you have a friend that manages a store he told you the sale was the same as last time and to ask a neighboring store for confirmation. you can also just ask them to scan the barcode showing them it does work because if it was for only $14.99 and under games the barcode would come back as required transactions not preformed. i dont know its tough as store managers like to think they know everything and we sure as hell know they dont.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']just tell them you have a friend that manages a store he told you the sale was the same as last time and to ask a neighboring store for confirmation. you can also just ask them to scan the barcode showing them it does work because if it was for only $14.99 and under games the barcode would come back as required transactions not preformed. i dont know its tough as store managers like to think they know everything and we sure as hell know they dont.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks, I just know some people claim that the employees have memos and emails stating otherwise. I have yet to run into an employee that won't scan something for me as others have said (I know people have said this about Sears too, among other places) so I hope I'll continue to be lucky. I've actually never had a problem at my store so...but just being safe since this seems to be the most problem ridden sale yet.

Not a single store anywhere near my area knew about this and apparently no stores had received their signage for the deal. I went to the store near me with a really cool manager and she made a ton of calls (including a district manager or something that also knew nothing of the sale) and finally found someone who told her where to get the barcode... it worked great and she is notifying some of the other stores in the area so they can get the sale going at their end. The manager was really happy that I let her know and gave me first crack at a bunch of games that had been stored in the drawer. I got these:

Dead Space 2 (xbox 360) - $19.99
Punch-Out (Wii) - FREE!

BulletStorm (Xbox 360) - $19.99
SplatterHouse (xbox 360) - FREE!

[quote name='JKSonic']If our store says that it's only $15 and under what SPECIFICALLY should we tell them? Do we tell them about a specific email or memo or something?[/QUOTE]

It's YMMV due to the wording of the promo. It seems the promo states (at least my store) that it is b1g1 for games under $14.99. But if they actually ring up a game over 14.99 and one under it will work (from reports).

So they key is sweet talking them to just "try" it.

I will say that when they had the last sale that had the buy any game get a 1499 game or under for free, it specifically stated just that. This time it almost seems like they ment to have a b1g1 on 14.99 games and under but used the wrong promo coding so it works as the b1g1 under 14.99 free

Edit : Nm just do what HB said above

[quote name='hawaiiboy']man sounds like a horror show out there with so many uninformed stores and prices all over the place. Should be mostly store managers working and it goes to show how incompetent most of them can be.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know Dead Space 2 was supposed to be 14.99, it came up as 19.99 for me (on the 4 I got).

The store in Lockport, NY didn't have a whole lot but I nabbed Mindjack & Tron for $16. The store manager could have been nicer and more helpful. The copies were in great shape (probably didn't get rented a lot ...hahahah) They had a few copies of New Vegas, Madden 11, Enslaved, Bloodstone, NCAA Football 11 and The Force Unleashed II. Not sure if they will add to their inventory while the sale is going on or not but all in all not too much there to get excited about.

Okay went to 5 different store in the Tampa Bay Area. 2 didnt know about the deal.

Bought for
iconps3.gif

Bulletstorm: 19.99
Bloodstone 007: Free

The Fight: $19.99
Super Street Fighter 4: Free

Will try my local one in pasco again since they didnt know of the sale. Didnt really see much though.

When you argue with these people, you are turning it into I'm right, you're wrong.

In the past with these sales, the people would say, "These 2 don't qualify because the price is over $14.99." when it was just a case of the wrong sticker. I would tell them I want to get it anyway and they would ring it up and the correct price would show. I would act like I was surprised as they were and then it wasn't about them being wrong.

If they have activated the sale and they ring up any game plus a $14.99 game, the discount should happen automatically. Am I correct?

I mentioned this earlier but I'll post it again. We never received the proper signage last time to promote the sale how it is intended So they informed us to use the old signs that say b1g1 $14.99 and under BUT to inform customers on exactly what the sale is. You figure over a month later they would have sent us the correct signs for this sale but nope so we are stuck using the same old signage.

Thats good to hear...i just picked up a mint copy of Beyond Good and Evil for the ps2 for 6.00 at a Gross Stop and found a mint copy also of Psychonauts xbox...heard it was a classic to be played.

[quote name='topplehat']I think I got it for 10 bucks but it's probably my favorite game of the past few years. Fun gameplay, good story, and great graphics/style. It reminds me a lot of Beyond Good and Evil.[/QUOTE]

Wasnt really able to do to much damage at my first store..just ended up chopping it up with Brother Daz for a little while and ended up with Shattered Dimensions360 and Quantum of Solace ps3 and 6 TFU2'S since the store was loaded...those should help with my bestbuy preorders i think with 6 and the 40% the should trade up to 100.00 even..Well after my lil man wakes from his nap i might hit another one up.

[quote name='JUSTSULTAN']Wasnt really able to do to much damage at my first store..just ended up chopping it up with Brother Daz for a little while and ended up with Shattered Dimensions360 and Quantum of Solace ps3 and 6 TFU2'S since the store was loaded...those should help with my bestbuy preorders i think with 6 and the 40% the should trade up to 100.00 even..Well after my lil man wakes from his nap i might hit another one up.[/QUOTE]

You can get an extra $10 (50% bonus instead of 40%) if you grab madden and are able to PM it to TRU you get it for $45 then trade it in for $42. So you basically get 1 of the 5 games out of the way for free.

I really hope they get this all together because I really want Splatterhouse for PS3 and i keep getting denied for the BOGO.The last BBV I went to didn't even know about the sale at all.

Thanks HB for the info, I just hope the managers will follow through without it being as frustrating as it is right now.

Went back to exchange a game that was too scratched and bought a couple more games because I have no control. Same manager who manually did the discount the first time was now using the barcode. Got a 19.99 and 14.99 no problem.

Went to a store near work in Phoenix and got:

Bulletstorm 360 $19.99
007 Bloodstone 360 $14.99 (free)

Not too bad. Would like to find a DS2 LE for PS3 though. May check other stores for that one.

[quote name='DerClaw']I didn't even know Dead Space 2 was supposed to be 14.99, it came up as 19.99 for me (on the 4 I got).[/QUOTE]

Saw it priced at $19.99-29.99

Went in at 10 a.m. and there was nobody else there for the entire half hour I was in the store, which was cool. They had a decent selection but I was able to get everything I wanted and not go overboard. I might hit up the only other BB around here but probably not.

Picked up:

Battlefield BC2 PS3
Splatterhouse 360
Enslaved PS3
Rock Band 3 PS3
Ghost Recon 2 PS3
Fallout New Vegas PS3 (I must've owned this game 4 times already, it's my go-to filler when I can't find anything else...maybe I'll actually play it this time :)

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Went in at 10 a.m. and there was nobody else there for the entire half hour I was in the store, which was cool. They had a decent selection but I was able to get everything I wanted and not go overboard. I might hit up the only other BB around here but probably not.

Picked up:

Battlefield BC2 PS3
Splatterhouse 360
Enslaved PS3
Rock Band 3 PS3
Ghost Recon 2 PS3
Fallout New Vegas PS3 (I must've owned this game 4 times already, it's my go-to filler when I can't find anything else...maybe I'll actually play it this time :)[/QUOTE]

ROCK BAND 3!?!?!? DAMN. i looked all over for one. how much?

I went to another store but they also didn't have any games I wanted. On the plus side I like the new pricing on game rentals. So I'll probably rent games now.

[quote name='thenurseryan']ROCK BAND 3!?!?!? DAMN. i looked all over for one. how much?[/QUOTE]

I saw it for $10, but it was the Wii version.

Nothing I wanted at the Blockbuster I went to during lunch. They had the 5/$20 blu-ray signage up and $1.99 DVDs for Labor Day (mostly the stuff they couldn't sell for 99 cents during the last sale...typical Blockbuster logic...raise prices if you can't sell something).

No signage for the Buy 1 Get 1 Free on video games. Will try 1 more store on my way home from work.

[quote name='thenurseryan']I picked up bulletstorm for ps3 but no luck with an online code. If anyone has a spare can you pm it to me?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I have one, Ill pm to you in a few seconds.

I tried to grab AC Brotherhood (20) and SWFU2 (15). Couldn't talk the manager at my bbv into scanning it. I asked her to try and she said "I know it will work but I can't do it, I have to follow the policy in the email." Disappointment abounds.

yeah this BOGO promo isn't that great.
my BBV sucks. very few and limited selection.
And for me, it was buy a $20 get a $15 or under free. Buy a $15 game get a $10 or under free, etc...???

Anyway left with
Madden 11
Splatterhouse
NCAA fotball 11
Medal of Honor
$24 total

[quote name='exopuppy']I tried to grab AC Brotherhood (20) and SWFU2 (15). Couldn't talk the manager at my bbv into scanning it. I asked her to try and she said "I know it will work but I can't do it, I have to follow the policy in the email." Disappointment abounds.[/QUOTE]

what u mean they knew it will work? That is some BS. Tell them to call the DM and other stores to confirm.

Overall happy with what I got today.

Metro 2033 - $19.99
Splatterhouse - Free

Bulletstorm - $19.99 (I got THREE Xbox-live codes, hopefully one works!)
Tron Evolution - Free

NBA Jam - $9.99
G.I. Joe - Free (it was literally the only thing worth pairing, and I wanted NBA Jam).

6 games, $50 spent, all stuff I'm looking forward to playing before I trade. They had to manually scan a barcode by the way, and the first store couldn't find it and had to call 3 others before one knew where it was.

[quote name='Alphadog36']The blockbuster I went to said that the deal wasn't going to start until Friday. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

what store? Tell them to call another store. It started today.

Got myself

iconps3.gif
Tron Evolution, Fallout New Vega and Spider-man Shattered Dimensions

Split Spider-man with my buddy. Mislabeled at $14.99 so got it for that price.

I was able to get some of the games I missed out last B1G1 :)

:ps3: Mindjack - 14.99
:360: SWTFUII - Free
:ps3: Killzone 2 - 14.99
:ps3: Soul Calibur 4 - Free
:ps3: Resistance 2 - 14.99
:ps3: SWTFU 1 - Free
:ps3: Kane & Lynch 2 - 9.99
:360: Enslaved - Free

Finally came face to face with El Hoardo for the first time in my travels. It took the shape of a 40ish year old woman, with a 50ish year old man sidekick.

Long stories, so I figured I'd do some formatting to make the page look not so obnoxious.

Location 1: Arrival
I don't like being a douchebag, so I wasn't there right at 10. I've never had a problem with my store any time before. I got there around 10:30, and the woman already had a stack of games two feet high. She was walking around, picking at things, throwing them in her pile. All the while popping her gum in that really loud annoying crackly way that makes you want to stab her in the throat.

El Hoardo:
She admitted that this was "her first time doing this." She snatched up most of the good stuff before I got there, but I did hit the NDS and PS3 section a tad before her and got a couple things I wanted. I don't know why it took her so long to look through things, because she ended up telling her husband to grab "anything that was under $15". She ended up buying over 100 games, nearly EVERY SINGLE GAME that was there. The manager had to limit her to 5 copies per game (although the only ones left with that many were New Vegas). She also was on the phone at one point, and it sounded like she was talking to another guy who was doing the same thing at another location. I slyly said to her "You know you can't return these, right?" and she looked at me with a slightly puzzled look on her face and said "I know."

Sale fail
I thought I had a leg up on her, because I was including $20 games in my purchases to get $15 ones free, since I knew it worked that way. She was skimming over some decent stuff at that price because it wasn't eligible for the B1G1. When I got to the register, the manager had no idea if it would work that way or not and called another store. They told him they did not count and it was strictly $15 and under. I got pissed at that point, but there wasn't much I could do.

Hectic morning for the manager:
My store was super unprepared, and the manager was really annoyed at both her and I (even though I only walked out with 8 games). The registers weren't ringing up correctly and he had to talk to computer service for like 20 minutes, while calling stores on the other phone to figure out the code he needed to make the sale work. I feel bad for the dude, having to pull like 115 game discs all by himself, all the while trying to get the computer to ring up correctly, AND handle a couple other customers in between. And the worst part is that the hoarding bitch had the nerve to complain about how long it was taking for her to get her 100 games.

Location 2:
I got out of there before they did, so I rushed to the next closest store to hope that it wasn't gutted like the first one. I get in, and sure enough, the only $14.99 and under games that are left are a couple old GH: Aerosmiths priced at $2.99 and about 4 other games at $6.99 in generic cases. I did end up getting a couple of them because they were so cheap.

Hoardo foiled?
When I brought them up to the counter, I said to the guy, "So did some loser come in here when you opened and buy a hundred games too like the last store I was just at? It was so frustrating because I couldn't get anything I wanted." He replied "Well, kindof. This guy is buying a whole bunch of games but he hasn't come to get them yet. If you want, you can look through them and take whatever you want." He actually brought me behind the counter and pointed me to a stack of about 50 games... probably every single $15 and under one in the store. Unfortunately there wasn't a lot, but I did take 6 or so games out of there, including NBA Jam + Shattered Dimensions, which were two I were looking for originally. I left most of it, which included like 5 copies of SWFUII. But if I had the extra money to spend, I really should've just bought them all. I didn't want to be too much of a dick because the employee there was really cool.

A very frustrating day for me in the BBV universe. I may have to go back or to another store tomorrow to try to get some of the $20 games I was denied at the first one.

What all did you grab, 'Claw? That sounds like about a decent return, but I don't usually like to mess with anything that will get me any less than 2x what I paid. Since it looks like the signs have been fairly good, I'm gonna head out this afternoon/evening and hit a few BB's once it's cooled off a bit.

[quote name='The Punisher']what u mean they knew it will work? That is some BS. Tell them to call the DM and other stores to confirm.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, really. I was too dumbfounded to argue at that point. She was literally telling me "I know the system will accept it, but I don't want to." And if I would have bought two $15 games there would be no problem. So if I'm going to give you $5 MORE that's a problem?

. . . yeah, a problem with math.

[quote name='bgame2']Anyone have a personal opinion on whether the :ps3: or :360: version of Dead Space 2 is the better buy? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you can get limited edition dead space 2 on the ps3 it comes with extraction which is pretty good and exclusive to ps3.

[quote name='bgame2']Anyone have a personal opinion on whether the :ps3: or :360: version of Dead Space 2 is the better buy? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

PS3 is hands down the better choice on a content basis. It includes DS:Extraction for freeeee.

Of course, if you don't want that/are an achievement fiend, then go 360.

[quote name='exopuppy']Yeah, really. I was too dumbfounded to argue at that point. She was literally telling me "I know the system will accept it, but I don't want to." And if I would have bought two $15 games there would be no problem. So if I'm going to give you $5 MORE that's a problem?

. . . yeah, a problem with math.[/QUOTE]

lol. What customer service....:roll:

This is why Bb be losing sales.

[quote name='exopuppy']PS3 is hands down the better choice on a content basis. It includes DS:Extraction for freeeee.

Of course, if you don't want that/are an achievement fiend, then go 360.[/QUOTE]

i agree. Since the ps3 get the DS: Extraction free.I dont have a ps3, so im getting it for the 360

bread's done
Back