The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Got Super Street Fighter IV and SWFUII - $15
MvC3 and RE5 - $25

The cool thing is the guy told me I could pair MvC3 with another game under $15 for free. Not too bad of a haul, my store had a billion copies of New Vegas and SWFUII. Also had a few copies of MoH, but only for PS3 :(

Got: Alan Wake, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Singularity (360), and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption all for $20 with B1G1. There were all $10 each. Pretty good haul.

On the subject of Dead Space 2 versions. They did a really great job giving Extraction the HD treatment and it's a solid game in its own right. Go with the ps3 version.

No go in Indianapolis. Had Dead Space 2 and SWTFUII and the manager said I couldn't do at $19.99 game. Only $14.99 games. I politely mentioned that I thought it was the same as last sale, but he shot me down. Mentioned something about that corporate liked to confuse everyone involved changing the sale terms every other time. So I walked out. Didn't want to bother with arguing today.

19.99 for Spiderman: SD and i also had the same problem. Wanted to pick up BBC2 and Killzone 2 for 19.99 but was rejected as well and told that it was two 14.99 games.

Gonna wait a few days in hopes they figure out that $19.99 + are included and can be paired to get a $14.99 or under for free

edit: actually when does this sale actually end?

[quote name='bgame2']Anyone have a personal opinion on whether the :ps3: or :360: version of Dead Space 2 is the better buy? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

DS for ps3 as it cones with original DS. If you are talkin about purely fps/graphics, o think xbox came slightly ahead if I remember right

[quote name='dlk10000']No go in Indianapolis. Had Dead Space 2 and SWTFUII and the manager said I couldn't do at $19.99 game. Only $14.99 games. I politely mentioned that I thought it was the same as last sale, but he shot me down. Mentioned something about that corporate liked to confuse everyone involved changing the sale terms every other time. So I walked out. Didn't want to bother with arguing today.[/QUOTE]

Which location?

Picked up:
PS3
Bulletstorm $20, Tron FREE(for me)
PS3
Splatterhouse $20, Singularity FREE(for my buddy)
3XSWTFU2 (PS3), 3XSWTFU2 (X360)

I was not going to spend any money today. None.
I had two Blockbusters in my area, only needed to hit one. Decided against going to the second store, as I pretty much found everything I needed at the first stop.

Sucks that so many managers/employees are being jackholes about the sale. They've done so many by now, you think they'd know the drill. To counter with a good story, the employees at my local BBV bend over backwards to help you, and always know about the promos. Really good guys at my local store.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']You can get an extra $10 (50% bonus instead of 40%) if you grab madden and are able to PM it to TRU you get it for $45 then trade it in for $42. So you basically get 1 of the 5 games out of the way for free.[/QUOTE]

Did I miss something, cuz I thought 45 for Madden was only online. How'd you get them to PM an online price?

Originally Posted by hawaiiboy
Price drops effective 8/29 also the start of the b1g1 free sale.

Crysis 2 $29.99
Dead space 2 $19.99
FIFA 11 $19.99
Fight night champion $29.99
L.A. Noire $29.99

Crysis $29.99
Dead space 2 $19.99
L.A. Noire $29.99
NBA jam $9.99

Wish I had better news but that's it.
No blu ray drops either.

Just a FYI. Starting 9/1 game rentals will be $1.99 a day for new releases and $.99 a day for older titles. Also anyone with blockbuster online will be able to exchange the mailers for any $.99 game free with no return date like when u swap it out for a movie. Just wanted to put it out there in case anyone actually still rents from bbv

So, the sale started on the 30th not the 29th? Second, how come my blockbuster had DS 2 on PS3 for 24.99 after scanning. Am I missing something here? Or is my blockbuster just behind the times?

Picked up:
PS3
Dead Space 2 $20, Mafia 2 $20
Xbox 360
Spatterhouse FREE, Singularity FREE

My local store didn't have much that was $14.99 or less. The employees are good there. I had no problem with anything even had them price check a few games.

I visited 3 stores today, and I was really hoping to get a copy of Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Donkey Kong Country returns. The first store had neither, and although it had some really good $14.99 and under games, I decided to hold out and check out the other 2 stores. I had done some scouting last week, so I knew these 2 stores would have some good stuff.

The 2nd store I went to had 3 copies of DKCR and 2 copies of SMG2. However, I was told that the sale was B1G1 free on $14.99 games only ($9.99 games and under weren't a part of the deal). From HB's previous posts, I knew that a barcode had to be scanned to activate the sale, so I decided to take DKCR and a $14.99 game to get them scanned. The CSR believed that the sale was like the old BBV B1G1 sales where the sale is programmed into the register. He didn't have a barcode available to scan, so I had to pass on this store, which was a bummer because they had exactly what I was looking for.

I wasn't too hopeful regarding the last store because when I checked there last week, most of their games weren't tagged properly. I went anyway just to see what might happen. This store actually had signs up for the B1G1 sale, and when I asked a CSR about the details on the sale, she specifically told me that I could get any priced game and another game free as long as it was $14.99 and under. This was a very pleasant surprise, and as it turns out, the games I wanted were mispriced but still rang up correctly at the register. In the end, I wound up getting:

DKCR (3 copies)
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Fallout: New Vegas (PS3)
SWFU2 (360)
007: Bloodstone (PS3 and 360)

I'll be keeping 1 DKCR and KEY, and I'll be flipping the rest. Overall, it was a good haul. I just wish I was able to get SMG2.

How long is this sale going? Will it last until Thursday evening?

Reason is because I'm actually gonna be busy today and tomorrow but I plan on being near my closest store Thurs. evening and I figured I could just stop in there on my way home.

[quote name='pigeon12']

So, the sale started on the 30th not the 29th? Second, how come my blockbuster had DS 2 on PS3 for 24.99 after scanning. Am I missing something here? Or is my blockbuster just behind the times?[/QUOTE]

My store had it for 25$ as well and I heard some others did too. It could just mean the store was not up to date on the prices. Either they were being lazy or just hadn't gotten around to it yet. I did walk into the store about a half hour after it opened so maybe that's why.

[quote name='RCS0926']I visited 3 stores today, and I was really hoping to get a copy of Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Donkey Kong Country returns. The first store had neither, and although it had some really good $14.99 and under games, I decided to hold out and check out the other 2 stores. I had done some scouting last week, so I knew these 2 stores would have some good stuff.

The 2nd store I went to had 3 copies of DKCR and 2 copies of SMG2. However, I was told that the sale was B1G1 free on $14.99 games only ($9.99 games and under weren't a part of the deal). From HB's previous posts, I knew that a barcode had to be scanned to activate the sale, so I decided to take DKCR and a $14.99 game to get them scanned. The CSR believed that the sale was like the old BBV B1G1 sales where the sale is programmed into the register. He didn't have a barcode available to scan, so I had to pass on this store, which was a bummer because they had exactly what I was looking for.

I wasn't too hopeful regarding the last store because when I checked there last week, most of their games weren't tagged properly. I went anyway just to see what might happen. This store actually had signs up for the B1G1 sale, and when I asked a CSR about the details on the sale, she specifically told me that I could get any priced game and another game free as long as it was $14.99 and under. This was a very pleasant surprise, and as it turns out, the games I wanted were mispriced but still rang up correctly at the register. In the end, I wound up getting:

DKCR (3 copies)
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Fallout: New Vegas (PS3)
SWFU2 (360)
007: Bloodstone (PS3 and 360)

I'll be keeping 1 DKCR and KEY, and I'll be flipping the rest. Overall, it was a good haul. I just wish I was able to get SMG2.[/QUOTE]
I was just curious where you do your flipping?I'm totally new to that,but it sounds like something i'd do ;).

[quote name='PurpleJesus74']I was just curious where you do your flipping?I'm totally new to that,but it sounds like something i'd do ;).[/QUOTE]

I generally flip games over to Gamestop, which I know is taboo for some people here. However, I already have a lot of credit at GS. Plus, I regularly get gift cards as presents. At any rate, I've been able to get my Wii, Rockband 2 kit and PS3 for basically free by flipping to GS. Now I have my sights focused on either a 3DS or a 360/Kinect bundle.

Overall, there are probably better places to flip games, but GS just works for me. Currently, a lot of people have been flipping games over to Best Buy using the extra 50% promo when trading towards Madden 12. Another CAG bought 90+ old PS2 sports games from GS (using the B2G2 free sale) for a little over $40 and traded them all to Best Buy for over $150. Anyway, the best thing to do is to pay attention to the trade threads and see what places offer the best deals.

[quote name='RCS0926']I generally flip games over to Gamestop, which I know is taboo for some people here. However, I already have a lot of credit at GS. Plus, I regularly get gift cards as presents. At any rate, I've been able to get my Wii, Rockband 2 kit and PS3 for basically free by flipping to GS. Now I have my sights focused on either a 3DS or a 360/Kinect bundle.

Overall, there are probably better places to flip games, but GS just works for me. Currently, a lot of people have been flipping games over to Best Buy using the extra 50% promo when trading towards Madden 12. Another CAG bought 90+ old PS2 sports games from GS (using the B2G2 free sale) for a little over $40 and traded them all to Best Buy for over $150. Anyway, the best thing to do is to pay attention to the trade threads and see what places offer the best deals.[/QUOTE]

Thanks alot for the info.Anyway to stick it to Gamestop,might as well,lol.I just wondered if you took a bunch of sealed games,they'd wonder where or how cheap you got them.But i guess it doesnt matter.

Got Goldeneye, Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock, Metroid: Other M, and NBA Jam for $30. Not bad. I traded in my goldeneye for $30 at amazon a couple months ago so it is nice to get it back for pennies on the dollar. There are plenty of Assassins Creed: Brotherhoods just waiting for the next price drop and sale

I had to laugh at the story of the middle aged woman hoarding all those games. Wonder if she took the day off of work for this sale? (and by work I mean sitting on her likely fat ass watching TV). There are a lot where she may actually LOSE money. Most of these nobody is going to pay more than $7.50 for and even the best trade values will only net you $2-3. I hope Amazon's trade in prices drop like a rock before she can send them in. It's too bad you didn't have a list of trade values so you could pick out everything worthwhile from that other guy's stack, if I could I would sponsor you just to see the look on his face when he came back.

My local store has a limit of 2 per person anyway so hoarding is not really an issue. In some cases it really isn't an issue though, they still probably have at least 20 Fallouts for each system and before that they had a million copies of God of War 3. I hope they get some more LA Noire or they might be gone by the time they are eligible for the sale.

[quote name='PurpleJesus74']Thanks alot for the info.Anyway to stick it to Gamestop,might as well,lol.I just wondered if you took a bunch of sealed games,they'd wonder where or how cheap you got them.But i guess it doesnt matter.[/QUOTE]

I don't think GS will let you trade in sealed games. As for BBV games that I flip over to GS, I always remove any identifying stickers. I don't think it's a big deal either way, but I'd rather not have a store know that I'm flipping games from one store to another.

I'm still on the fence with Bulletstorm. I would like to be sure I get the online pass. So, I might wait until it drops to $20 at BB.

One out of two stores had the barcode, neither would allow the purchased game to be over 14.99. I swear you could send these people an email firing them and they'd still be coming to work two weeks later and wondering why their paycheck hadn't arrived.

[quote name='shajek']I'm still on the fence with Bulletstorm. I would like to be sure I get the online pass. So, I might wait until it drops to $20 at BB.[/QUOTE]

My local BB keeps all the dlc codes behind the counter specifically for when their sold, so no renter can waste it. You might wanna check to see if your BB does that.

[quote name='shajek']I'm still on the fence with Bulletstorm. I would like to be sure I get the online pass. So, I might wait until it drops to $20 at BB.[/QUOTE]

Send me a message tonight. I am pretty sure I have some that I haven't checked yet -- let me know which system you'd want it for. If one works I can send it to you if that's all that's stopping you.

Picked up NBA Jams for the xbox 360 (my daughter liked this one as a rental a while ago) and The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks. $10 total. Thanks HB!

I picked up Riddick assault on dark athena and tombraider underworld for $7.PS3

They had bulletstorm and dead space 2 but they were above the $14.99 range. Too bad I really wanted these two games and the store didn't have any $14.99 games just $5 - $10 so I couldn't see paying $20 bucks and getting a game I didn't want.

Oh well..

Last edited:
Got Bulletstorm and Force Unleashed 2 in Red Lion, PA, but ran into some resistance at the East York, PA store. The clerk insisted that the sale was buy 1 for $14.99 or less and get 1 (priced at $14.99 or less) free. When I told him I just bought an over $14.99 and got a $14.99 or under free in Red Lion, he said, "They're cheating," so I handed him Dead Rising 2 and Split Second and walked out.

Disappointing.

Interestingly enough, I think I was the only CAG to hit up my stores in SoCal. Everything I had scouted out last week was there today.

[quote name='xDerekRx']All my BBVs had tons of SWFU2. Pretty much bought enought to flip at BB to pay for Madden and NHL. Very cool.[/QUOTE]

What is the trade in value at Best Buy? I used the estimator and it doesn't have STFU2 at all.

Oh yes did anyone see prices on Brink? I thought I saw on this thread where it was cheap. At my store it was $44.99.

[quote name='Pliskin101']Oh yes did anyone see prices on Brink? I thought I saw on this thread where it was cheap. At my store it was $44.99.[/QUOTE]

I saw it for $39.99 at my store. I don't think it has had many price drops.

[quote name='RCS0926']I saw it for $39.99 at my store. I don't think it has had many price drops.[/QUOTE]
Thanks.

What is Blockbuster's return policy when it comes to games during this sale?

I ask because I just purchased SWFU2 and Modnation Racers for $14.99 and neither is complete. Both games are missing instruction manuals and Modnation is in a DVD case rather than a PS3 case. I asked about getting manuals/cases and the store had neither. But I was itching to buy something from this sale and I wanted both games. I may not even exchange them, I'm just wondering in case I decide to go back.

BTW, Google Shopping is very cool but very inaccurate when it comes to Blockbuster. The first store I went to today supposedly had NBA Jam and Uncharted 2 but had neither.

[quote name='metallicoholic']What is Blockbuster's return policy when it comes to games during this sale?

I ask because I just purchased SWFU2 and Modnation Racers for $14.99 and neither is complete. Both games are missing instruction manuals and Modnation is in a DVD case rather than a PS3 case. I asked about getting manuals/cases and the store had neither. But I was itching to buy something from this sale and I wanted both games. I may not even exchange them, I'm just wondering in case I decide to go back.

BTW, Google Shopping is very cool but very inaccurate when it comes to Blockbuster. The first store I went to today supposedly had NBA Jam and Uncharted 2 but had neither.[/QUOTE]

I think you can only exchange games. I bought a copy of 007: Blood Stone today that was cracked. Fortunately, they had another copy, but it would have been interesting to see what would've happened if they didn't have an extra copy.

[quote name='metallicoholic']What is Blockbuster's return policy when it comes to games during this sale?
[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it's exchange only, with the occasional exception. During the last BOGO, I bought a GTA IV that wouldn't boot up. No visible scratches, just didn't work. I took it back, and they didn't have another GTA, so they allowed me to trade for another game.

[quote name='Pliskin101']What is the trade in value at Best Buy? I used the estimator and it doesn't have STFU2 at all.[/QUOTE]

Don't search for full names search for unusual words in game title. In this case force unleashed.

I don't even think my BBV has guides anymore. They had a very limited selection when they were 50% and I don't even remember seeing them the last few times I went.

[quote name='Pliskin101']Oh yes did anyone see prices on Brink? I thought I saw on this thread where it was cheap. At my store it was $44.99.[/QUOTE]
FYI: If you want, you can buy the @Gamer magazine at Best Buy this week and it has a $20 off Brink(or Hunted: Demon's Forge) coupon that takes either game down to $10 this week. With the cost of buying the magazine, that makes a copy of Brink or Hunted: Demon's Forge for either console $15 this week at BB.

BTW, Google Shopping is very cool but very inaccurate when it comes to Blockbuster. The first store I went to today supposedly had NBA Jam and Uncharted 2 but had neither.[/QUOTE]
That's why ya ask if they have everything BEFORE buying it if it's gonna be a problem for you if it's incomplete.;)

[quote name='metallicoholic']What is Blockbuster's return policy when it comes to games during this sale? [/QUOTE]

I haven't exchanged a game from BBV in probably 2 years, but how it worked for me was, I could exchange it for any game, but it had to be for the price of the game I was exchanging or lower.

Bought 2 SWFU2, NBA Jam, and Tron Evolution and that covered my NHL 12 and a copy of Top Gun on Blu :bouncy: once I flipped to BB with the 40% off pre order for NHL

bread's done
Back