The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
UGHHHHHHHHHH! What a DAY!

Hit up a store near the KC area (PM me with details if wanted), and found six games that I could flip from $30 -> ~$80 in Best Buy credit. I bring them to the register, and after ten minutes of looking for all the games, they tell me that at least one game from each "group" has to be $14.99. :whistle2:/ I politely inform them that that is not what I've heard, how they've done it in the past, or what their signs say. But alas, they just wouldn't do it. I asked them to scan it, and the two employees said it would work but it's not supposed to. I have a buddy that works there, so I didn't want to make a scene that could get back to him. So, I politely left.

I hit up a store about five minutes away. Lady was friendly. I just asked if I was going to run into any problems up front. She said that the other store had called her as I left, and she told them they were wrong. So, she apologized on their behalf. I was appreciative.

Finally found eight games that I could flip from $45 -> $105 at Best Buy.

Get to Best Buy 15 minutes away, and there's no one in the games section, so I take my trades to CS. Two older women proceed to tell me, and then I correct their mistake over:

-Games have to have manuals
-Games have to have art book
-Games can have ANY dust or scratches
-There are no promos
-They can only stack the 40% bonus on certain preorders not in their system
-That online values don't match store values

Etc, etc.

FINALLY, after like 25 minutes, I got everything sorted out.

Purchased two Kindle/Amazon cards.

So, at the end of the day, I managed to flip $45 cash into $100 Amazon credit + $4.xx in Best Buy credit. Took about 1h30m when everything was said and done. Not too terrible; but longer than it should have.

Every game I took I left at least one copy. Most every game had multiple copies though. Each store I hit had 20+ SWFUII titles.

Debating if I outta head back to the first store and grab my other flip...

Ran into El Hoarda of the Soccer mom variety tonight at a local BBV.

Was kinda confused when I saw her loading up 3 of each PS3 and Xbox SW:TFU2. Politely asked "Flipping them for store credit somewhere huh?"

"Yeah, hey you have any idea if Best Buy has a limit on trading these in?"

(holds fingers behind back crossed) "Nope, as many as you have." Then watched her buy 24+ of each platform and (rudely) call her husband at the front to go to another store and buy "whatever SW:TFU2 they have left, NOW!" She was super rude to the cashier as well.

Was fucking pissed no Civilization Revolutions, NBA Jam, RE5 or Armored Core4 for Xbox (my I'll buy" list). But thwarting El Hoarda felt mighty good.

edit: she was SUPER rude to me when I was just looking around, saying to grab whatever I was interested in now, because she was there first and "had dibs".

[quote name='Solder']Ran into El Hoarda of the Soccer mom variety tonight at a local BBV.

Was kinda confused when I saw her loading up 3 of each PS3 and Xbox SW:TFU2. Politely asked "Flipping them for store credit somewhere huh?"

(holds fingers behind back crossed) "Nope, as many as you have." Then watched her buy 24+ of each platform and (rudely) call her husband at the front to go to another store and buy "whatever SW:TFU2 they have left, NOW!" She was super rude to the cashier as well.

Was fucking pissed no Civilization Revolutions, NBA Jam, RE5 or Armored Core4 for Xbox (my I'll buy" list). But thwarting El Hoarda felt mighty good.[/QUOTE]:lol: She's going to be in for a rude awakening.

[quote name='Solder']Ran into El Hoarda of the Soccer mom variety tonight at a local BBV.

Was fucking pissed no Civilization Revolutions, NBA Jam, RE5 or Armored Core4 for Xbox (my I'll buy" list). But thwarting El Hoarda felt mighty good.[/QUOTE]

:applause: Wish I coulda done that

[quote name='lionheart4life']
I had to laugh at the story of the middle aged woman hoarding all those games.[/QUOTE]

So 40 is middle aged and some sort of "other" that shouldn't be buying games to you people? :lol:
Well, I guess I'd fall under that category then ;).

I went to 4 stores (and found out 2 others were closed since last month). They all knew about the sale, and at 2 of the 4 they specifically mentioned to me I could get games over $14.99 - though I had no intention of doing so, as, well, that costs more and stuff.

At one store NBA Jam 360 rang up $19.99 but I mentioned that I heard it was cheaper and that it just recently dropped. The lady proceeded to update the prices in the system and lo and behold, it then magically rang up $9.99. So thanks a ton to Hawaiiboy for mentioning this change in the way the system works. Before it would always be 100% guaranteed to be the same price everywhere but with this change that isn't the case any more - unless you can prod them into action as I did.

I didn't get all that much, but I did head way out 22 miles to the one and only store in the area with Skate 3. I also picked up GoldenEye, Enslaved, Mindjack, a couple copies of SW FU II (out of many seen), and a few others. I'm not sure it was worth all the time I spent, but hey, it is always fun to scout out these sales so I look at that as entertainment in and of itself.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']
Game guides are 75% off til 9/12 and after that they will be destroyed.[/QUOTE]

I saw a sign up for this at only one of the stores and it said "participating locations only" so I wasn't even going to mention it. It will also be highly YMMV because it didn't ring up automatically. Also, even though I bought a guide labeled $9.99 thinking it would be $2.50, they only discounted it to $5 since the original price was $19.99 - so that was somewhat disappointing.

grabbed

DS- brain challenge
DS- crash bandicoot

PS3- MegaMind
Wii-Madden 11

not a lot, no noticeable price drops, been really wanting fable 3 still 19.99.

[quote name='RCS0926']:lol: She's going to be in for a rude awakening.[/QUOTE]

I hope her 400+ bucks in Force Unleashed 2 yields a whopping 150 bucks in BB credit and a bunch of sad faces at X-Mas.

[quote name='Solder']I hope her 400+ bucks in Force Unleashed 2 yields a whopping 150 bucks in BB credit and a bunch of sad faces at X-Mas.[/QUOTE]
:lol:

[quote name='Solder']I hope her 400+ bucks in Force Unleashed 2 yields a whopping 150 bucks in BB credit and a bunch of sad faces at X-Mas.[/QUOTE]

LOL
I think everyone knows where all these copies of TFUII are headed, but I find it amusing when clowns like this lady rely on other people to tell her how to make money off flipping. As they say in the stock market, "do your due diligence."

I have to agree. That's just pure greed. I assume she's as hopeless/clueless as she appeared to be, and will be stuck with the majority of them.

Walked away with FF13 and AVP for PS3. $16. =/ Already having buyer remorse lol Ever since I got a raise from work, my impulse buys are getting wayyy worse.

I had a great experience at my local BBV today. Two employees there, both super polite and both let me know the second I looked at games that there was a sale.

I also took advantage of their new pricing scale for rentals. I picked up Madden 12 for $2/1 night and also grabbed a kids movie for my son for $1 a night. When I take back Madden, I will probably rent some more games each day with those prices. I almost picked up Bulletstorm in the sale, but thought I might be able to beat that over a short rental since I am not interested in MP.

Anyways, from the sale, I did pick up:

:360: Splatterhouse - $14.99 (which is why I went in the first place)
:360: Singularity - $9.99 (free)

Edit - For those in West Des Moines, they had several of Force Unleashed 2 on both 360 and PS3. I assume that is the big flippable game of the sale currently since it is being mentioned. If anyone in the area has any other questions on stock, feel free to PM me and I will try to answer.

Was fucking pissed no Civilization Revolutions, NBA Jam, RE5 or Armored Core4 for Xbox (my I'll buy" list). But thwarting El Hoarda felt mighty good.

edit: she was SUPER rude to me when I was just looking around, saying to grab whatever I was interested in now, because she was there first and "had dibs".[/QUOTE]

24 is an amazing amount. Unfortunately she won't have much of an issue as you think. Between the 2 of them they could do 6 per system per store per day. If they live close they could load them all off in 2-4 days. Best Buy say 3 per title per system but if you come back the next day they will gladly take 3 more.

Seems like a lot of people are interested in Splatterhouse. What's so great about it? I heard that it was pretty much universally panned by the critics...

[quote name='RCS0926']Seems like a lot of people are interested in Splatterhouse. What's so great about it? I heard that it was pretty much universally panned by the critics...[/QUOTE]
All three of the original Splatterhouse games are on the disc and unlockable if you do certain stuff in the game. So maybe people are buying them for that reason.

[quote name='cancerman1120']24 is an amazing amount. Unfortunately she won't have much of an issue as you think. Between the 2 of them they could do 6 per system per store per day. If they live close they could load them all off in 2-4 days. Best Buy say 3 per title per system but if you come back the next day they will gladly take 3 more.[/QUOTE]

I thought the whole point of showing ID was to limit each title / platform to 3 a year?

Sigh, that sucks if so.

My haul after visiting 4 Blockbusters.
All 360
Lost Planet 2 $5.00
Allan Wake $5.00
Aliens vs Predator $5.00
Lego Batman (don't judge) $5.00
Enslaved $5.00
Army of Two 2: $5.00
Tron:Evolution $7.50
N3:II $7.50
SWFU:II $7.50
Splatterhouse $7.50
Super Street Fighter IV $7.50
Metroid Other M: $7.50

[quote name='Solder']I thought the whole point of showing ID was to limit each title / platform to 3 a year?

Sigh, that sucks if so.[/QUOTE]

Yeah my understanding it was three a YEAR... But I also heard (so not sure if it was true) that the only thing that then happens is a message pops up on the screen that can be ignored by anybody. And even if you try to do more than 3 at a time it won't let you, but if the cashier doesn't care they can just ring you up twice.

[quote name='mattcube64']So, at the end of the day, I managed to flip $45 cash into $100 Amazon credit + $4.xx in Best Buy credit. Took about 1h30m when everything was said and done. Not too terrible; but longer than it should have.[/QUOTE]
You should've just went to Gamestop and bought some old ass $.99 PS2 sports games with their B2G2 and took those to BB to flip. I turned about $22 in GS credit(E-Rewards gc ftw) into $63 in BB credit after plunking a $5 pre-order down on Uncharted 3.

[quote name='Solder']I thought the whole point of showing ID was to limit each title / platform to 3 a year?

Sigh, that sucks if so.[/QUOTE]

I know a few of the guys in video games at my local BB and they said they get people all the time bringing multiples for days straight. The limit of 3/day is to keep down on potential "criminal" behavior. The last time I traded they made me do a finger print but only because a local ordinance was passed.

It is still amazing to me how many copies of SWFU:II are at these blockbusters. Considering they were $14.99 for the last sale I thought they would have been gone by now.

Grabbed Bulletstorm, Splatterhouse, Tron and N3 Ii for 38 and change.

Cheektowaga NY Blockbuster still had lots of stuff, no skate 3 though and that's what I really wanted.

So.. guess I'll ask again since nobody answered. Anyone know if this sale will still be active until Thurs./Fri.? Only chance I have of going back at my local shop.

[quote name='IronZombie']So.. guess I'll ask again since nobody answered. Anyone know if this sale will still be active until Thurs./Fri.? Only chance I have of going back at my local shop.[/QUOTE]

I believe Hawaiiboy has answered this many times - it runs through Labor Day. I guess I should put that in the OP ;).

[quote name='IronZombie']So.. guess I'll ask again since nobody answered. Anyone know if this sale will still be active until Thurs./Fri.? Only chance I have of going back at my local shop.[/QUOTE]

HawaiiBoy already said it runs through 9/5.

Picked up for the 360 today:

Bulletstorm - $20
Splatterhouse - free

Singularity - $10
NBA jam - free

All complete with disks in good shape. I love blockbuster bogo!

[quote name='Dead_Batteries']So thought I pop into a BB since it's right next to the grocery store. Asked if the B1G1 is today, she said no. Sad face.[/QUOTE]

Well the first Blockbuster I went into today the guy was NOT happy about the sale. He said they did not let them know until last night. He was still turning signage around and what not. He was really pissy when doing the checkout also. He rang my $14.99 games with $9.99 game instead of $14.99 with $14.99 and $9.99 with $9.99. Point this out to him and he get even more pissy and says corporate does not like that but I follow with common sense does. He gave me $10 in credit to offset it in the felt. Felt bad he was so stressed but not enough to pay $10 extra bucks.

It may be your BB had poor communication with their office.

So all of the Blockbusters on the North Houston side of town that I stopped at today would not budge on going above $15 for the BOGO for the first game. I guess I'm gonna have to buy a 360 Splatterhouse and go back after the sale and exchange it for the ps3 one since they are being a pain in the ass about it. :bs:

The 2 BBV i went to insisted the free game had to be $14.99 or less,which sucks since there were more games i wanted that were $19.99.So i got PS3 - Dead Space 2 for $19.99 and PS3 God Of War 3 which was $14.99 for free.Decent haul,but wish it was like the last sale,when i bought a $9.99 game and got a $9.99 game free.
Actually i guess i could've done that,they just didnt have many that were $9.99.

[quote name='RCS0926']Seems like a lot of people are interested in Splatterhouse. What's so great about it? I heard that it was pretty much universally panned by the critics...[/QUOTE]

It certainly was, but like IATCG mentioned, it has some good unlockables, as well as the game looks entertaining enough at the right price. I know going in that it will be a repetitive bloodbath that cost me $7.50 rather than $60. Expectations and final price point do not make a game itself better, but they can make your value and thus, experience, better.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Whoa whoa whoa game guides are 75% off !?!?!?! Can we get the barcode numbers for this promotion because I don't think my store know about this.

Sent from iphone[/QUOTE]

I was just looking at guides today while I was at my price-updating-responsible bbv and didn't notice anything.

[quote name='dlk10000']No go in Indianapolis. Had Dead Space 2 and SWTFUII and the manager said I couldn't do at $19.99 game. Only $14.99 games. I politely mentioned that I thought it was the same as last sale, but he shot me down. Mentioned something about that corporate liked to confuse everyone involved changing the sale terms every other time. So I walked out. Didn't want to bother with arguing today.[/QUOTE]
I didn't have any problems at the other Indianapolis locations doing a $19.99 game, that's too bad. I never go to Avon, though, as it's on the opposite side of town for me. Lots of Dead Space and SWFU2's at the other stores if you feel like venturing back out.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You should've just went to Gamestop and bought some old ass $.99 PS2 sports games with their B2G2 and took those to BB to flip. I turned about $22 in GS credit(E-Rewards gc ftw) into $63 in BB credit after plunking a $5 pre-order down on Uncharted 3.[/QUOTE]

I was going to attempt this the other day; but all the gamestop's around me's ps2 discs are in AWFUL condition. And since both best buys near here are sticklers, I didn't think it'd work out. :whistle2:(

went to 2 diff BB both had no idea about the sale but after reassuring them and them calling around they did the deal

anyways got
bulletstorm 19.99
mindjack - free

punchout! Wii - 14.99
kingdom hearts re:coded- free

tons of other games available just none that I didn't have/wanted lol . Even for some Nintendo franchise games for great prices to name a few:
super Mario galaxy 2 -24.99
donkey Kong country returns-24.99
Kirby epic yarn -19.99
steroid the other m -14.99

happy hunting peeps and great post was waiting for another BB deal to come down

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Sale runs thru close of business Monday 9/5.

Game guides are 75% off til 9/12 and after that they will be destroyed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks hb. Can u please post the promotion barcode for the 75% off guide sale. Should i just ask my store to check their correspondence?

Edit Sorry for the repost. On my phone.

[quote name='kyrhon']Wow, your guys' BBV experiences sound awful...

I had no trouble whatsoever. No Direct TV marketing either. :D[/QUOTE]

I haven't been hassled by a Dish executive either. Maybe it really depends on the market. Guess I should be thankful not having that add to my frustration today.

[quote name='io']I believe Hawaiiboy has answered this many times - it runs through Labor Day. I guess I should put that in the OP ;).[/QUOTE]
Didn't see that post but thanks. And wow.. this is quite a long sale they're having..

[quote name='mattcube64']UGHHHHHHHHHH! What a DAY!

Hit up a store near the KC area (PM me with details if wanted), and found six games that I could flip from $30 -> ~$80 in Best Buy credit. I bring them to the register, and after ten minutes of looking for all the games, they tell me that at least one game from each "group" has to be $14.99. :whistle2:/ I politely inform them that that is not what I've heard, how they've done it in the past, or what their signs say. But alas, they just wouldn't do it. I asked them to scan it, and the two employees said it would work but it's not supposed to. I have a buddy that works there, so I didn't want to make a scene that could get back to him. So, I politely left.

I hit up a store about five minutes away. Lady was friendly. I just asked if I was going to run into any problems up front. She said that the other store had called her as I left, and she told them they were wrong. So, she apologized on their behalf. I was appreciative.

Finally found eight games that I could flip from $45 -> $105 at Best Buy.

Get to Best Buy 15 minutes away, and there's no one in the games section, so I take my trades to CS. Two older women proceed to tell me, and then I correct their mistake over:

-Games have to have manuals
-Games have to have art book
-Games can have ANY dust or scratches
-There are no promos
-They can only stack the 40% bonus on certain preorders not in their system
-That online values don't match store values

Etc, etc.

FINALLY, after like 25 minutes, I got everything sorted out.

Purchased two Kindle/Amazon cards.

So, at the end of the day, I managed to flip $45 cash into $100 Amazon credit + $4.xx in Best Buy credit. Took about 1h30m when everything was said and done. Not too terrible; but longer than it should have.

Every game I took I left at least one copy. Most every game had multiple copies though. Each store I hit had 20+ SWFUII titles.

Debating if I outta head back to the first store and grab my other flip...[/QUOTE]
I didnt see any SWFUII at all,but i only looked in Lee's Summit.I'm mainly only looking for PS3 games.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys have people who seem like gamers doing the trade ins at Best Buy? A lot of the CS reps were gamers and they put a guy who used to roam around in charge of the trade ins at the new games section who's also a gamer.

I have to admit I wouldn't mind doing 4 SFU II's (2 for each system) or something but I can't stand the thought of getting odd looks. I did do multiple Two World II's though so...

bread's done
Back