The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
how much is spiderman shattered dimensions ps3? can't find it in the op and noticed a bunch of people are mentioning it. don't even know if everyone is talking about the ps3 version.

[quote name='PublikDefender']how much is spiderman shattered dimensions ps3? can't find it in the op and noticed a bunch of people are mentioning it. don't know if everyone is talking about the ps3 version.[/QUOTE]

I saw it for $19.99

[quote name='crabbit']My BB (Waialae Ave, HI) was ravaged. Empty shelves and a tiny bin of games, most of which are Hannah Montana: The Movie: The Game for :ds:. Drove out there so I picked up :ps3: Bionic Commando, :ps2: Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, :ps2: Destroy All Humans, and :ps2: Bully. Came out to about $10.70 altogether after tax. Worth the trip, I suppose...[/QUOTE]

Did you check the endcaps on the game rental shelves? Usually they have most there. At least that's how it was before.

[quote name='io']Don't wait - get back in there and ask them to look up the promo. If you wait until Monday, your games are likely to be gone once they figure out how to run the sale. It isn't ever going to be "updated in their system" - they have to scan a bar code now to get the sale to work. It isn't automatic like it used to be. The last sale was the first time they went to the bar code. Just ask them to look at their current promos. Every store I went to today had the bar codes on a sheet by the register and even if the clerk had no idea about the sale, they could find it on the sheet when I asked them about it. I guess the exact placement of that sheet is YMMV depending on the diligence of the manager, but it should be around somewhere.

On a side note, I think a lot of the comments from BBV clerks about the sale starting "next Monday" just stems from their misinterpretation of it being a "Labor Day" sale. Yeah, it is a Labor Day sale, but it starts the week that contains Labor Day and for BBV promo weeks start on Tuesday and end Monday. Thus it started today and ends next Monday (yes, after close).[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for the info, I'll go back in tomorrow during the day when the manager is likely to be there and see if I can't get the rest of the games I had picked out.

[quote name='boneless']Did you check the endcaps on the game rental shelves? Usually they have most there. At least that's how it was before.[/QUOTE]

There were a handful of 19.99 - 39.99 used titles on the endcaps -- stuff like MW2 and such :( Might try the BB in town tomorrow.

Meh, nothing for keeps today :(

Picked Up:
Animal Crossing :ds: - $15
Mindjack :ps3: - Free

But picked up Animal Crossing from Target when it was 75% off. Oh well, decent flips. Was sad though to find Kirby Squeak Squad at a store, but they couldn't find the game. Would have been game only, but I would have been fine with that. Oh well.

Went to 1 other BB and added Tron PS3 and STFU2 PS3...also picked up a sweet Gears 3 Lenticular framed poster for $14.99. Should look great displayed with the replica lancer I pre-ordered from Gamestop.

Checked out my local store yesterday and ended up leaving with STFUII and FO:NV both for $16.00 even. Wasn't aware that you could buy a more expensive title then get a $14.99 game for free. I think I'll go back today after work and grab Bulletstorm and Splatterhouse.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Went to 1 other BB and added Tron PS3 and STFU2 PS3...also picked up a sweet Gears 3 Lenticular framed poster for $14.99. Should look great displayed with the replica lancer I pre-ordered from Gamestop.[/QUOTE]
LOL @ STFU...2!

Going to try to visit whatever remaining BBVs there are in Queens. I just know of 1 that is somewhat near me. There used to be 4!

[quote name='IronZombie']People actually do that shit? How sleazy..[/QUOTE]

That is ticket switching and people do it. U know when u pick up a item off the display with the tag, but when it rings up, its a higher price then said tag.
This is what hurts retailers with price errors, ticket switching, damage items,etc. that hours are cut on the payroll side.

[quote name='jiggyteddy']LOL @ STFU...2!

Going to try to visit whatever remaining BBVs there are in Queens. I just know of 1 that is somewhat near me. There used to be 4![/QUOTE]

lol i just realized why that was funny.

Going to head out, hopefully get a few to keep and a few to flip... Hoping TiV's at BB hold, just checked and they were all still valid but who knows.

[quote name='JKSonic']Going to head out, hopefully get a few to keep and a few to flip... Hoping TiV's at BB hold, just checked and they were all still valid but who knows.[/QUOTE]

What games u flipping?

Im just hoping of getting dead space 2. Game looks awesome

[quote name='The Punisher']What games u flipping?

Im just hoping of getting dead space 2. Game looks awesome[/QUOTE]

There were like 20 copies of Dead Space 2 and like 15 copies of Fable III at one of the blockbusters I went to.

I have a question.

Say I buy a $20 game, a $15 game, and two $10 games. Will both the $10 games ring up as free or will I get one of the $10 games free and then the $15 game free? Or would I have to do them in separate transactions to get this?

[quote name='Tsel']I have a question.

Say I buy a $20 game, a $15 game, and two $10 games. Will both the $10 games ring up as free or will I get one of the $10 games free and then the $15 game free? Or would I have to do them in separate transactions to get this?[/QUOTE]

I think its the order when scan?

$20
$15 Free

$10
$10 Free

If they scan...

$20
$10 Free

$15
$10 free

Say I buy a $20 game, a $15 game, and two $10 games. Will both the $10 games ring up as free or will I get one of the $10 games free and then the $15 game free? Or would I have to do them in separate transactions to get this?[/QUOTE]

If the CSR rings up all 4 games at once, then you'll get the $10 games for free. However, if you have the CSR press Sub-Total after each pair, then you can get a $15 and $10 game for free. Most CSRs will allow you to get the best deal, but there are some who don't provide this courtesy. It's definitely YMMV.

Seperate is the way to go

[quote name='The Punisher']I think its the order when scan?

$20
$15 Free

$10
$10 Free

If they scan...

$20
$10 Free

$15
$10 free[/QUOTE]

The order matters, but the CSR also has to hit Subtotal after each pair.

[quote name='Tsel']I think I'll just kindly ask them when I hand them the games.[/QUOTE]

That's the best way to go. Hopefully, you get to work with a cooperative CSR.

I've only ever seen 4 people that work there and they've all been extremely helpful every time I've went, so I don't really think it's a problem. I treat CSRs with as much respect as I treat my friend's and family. I always try to create conversation and go out of my way to tell them to have a good day.

I should be good. :D

The order matters, but the CSR also has to hit Subtotal after each pair.

it used to work that way when it was an auto barcode but now they must scan a barcode after each pair to get proper deal. like others have said its just easier to ring them up 2 at a time to ensure you get them rung up properly.

Out of curiosity, where's the link to this deal announcement? I keep looking and looking but can't find anything. I just want to double check to make sure the deal is legit and all since I've never bought used games at Blockbuster before.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']it used to work that way when it was an auto barcode but now they must scan a barcode after each pair to get proper deal. like others have said its just easier to ring them up 2 at a time to ensure you get them rung up properly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification HB. Now that I think about it, that's exactly what happened yesterday when my 8 games were rung up.

[quote name='Rudianos']Out of curiosity, where's the link to this deal announcement? I keep looking and looking but can't find anything. I just want to double check to make sure the deal is legit and all since I've never bought used games at Blockbuster before.[/QUOTE]

There's no link because it's not advertized online. The deal is definitely active, but it's definitely YMMV with regards to:

- whether or not your store knows the sale is going on
- whether or not your store knows that the sale is B1G1 free on any priced game as long as the free game is $14.99 or under

Ultimately, you'll just have to check out your local BBV and see if they know about this sale, but it's definitely going on as evidenced by all the posts from fellow CAGs who purchased games yesterday and today.

For the last sale, there was the big sign that specifically said $14.99 games and under, so I asked the CSR and she said it was buy any game get $15 free. They don't seem like they would know what's going on, but I think they're pretty good at keeping up to date.

Now I just have to hope NBA Jam rings up as $9.99 and Dead Space 2 rings up as $19.99 rather than $19.99 and $24.99 respectively.

The system definitely does NOT automatically give you the best deal. How the employee rings it up really matters.

The first store I went to, the lady had scanned everything properly to give me the best deal
$14.99
$14.99 - Free
$9.99
$9.99 - Free

The second store I visited ended up giving me the two $9.99 games free. Fortunately, he was able to fix this and correct it so that I got the best deal possible.
$14.99
$14.99 - Free
$14.99
$14.99 - Free
$14.99
$14.99
$9.99 - Free
$9.99 - Free

I'm unsure of how exactly the guy scanned everything (incorrect price pairings? didn't scan the barcode until after scanning all the games?). Either way, the fact is that the system will not automatically give the best deal possible, so be careful about the price total when they ring you up.

[quote name='Tsel']For the last sale, there was the big sign that specifically said $14.99 games and under, so I asked the CSR and she said it was buy any game get $15 free. They don't seem like they would know what's going on, but I think they're pretty good at keeping up to date.

Now I just have to hope NBA Jam rings up as $9.99 and Dead Space 2 rings up as $19.99 rather than $19.99 and $24.99 respectively.[/QUOTE]

I just got NBA jam and it was priced $19.99 asked her to see if there was updated prices. Sure enough on her screen she saw it had a price change. She hit some keys and it dropped to $9.99.

BTW NBA jam is a fun little game that brings me back to my younger days (back when I was rocking Detlef and Kemp for the Supersonics...), but am going to trade in my 2 copies since the TiV is so high right now at BBY ($13 for a game I spent $5 on). Will probably just DL the on fire edition when it comes out.

Grabbed for PS3 for $53 from several stores:

Enslaved - $14.99
Enslaved - Free

Enslaved - $14.99
Lego Harry Potter - Free

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - $19.99
Megamind - Free

Will trade in 2 enslaved to Amazon for $22, Lego HP for $12 and Megamind for $8. Total $42 credit toward a new game.

Ends up only costing $11 for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Enslaved.

Something like that.

Very good deal.

Oh btw picked up shadows of the damned for $24.99 with a STFU2 ( quoting poster above). After BBY trade in I picked up SotD for $7+ tax. I'm extremely happy since it looked like SotD wasn't even rented.

Picked up Tron Evolution and Prince of Persia the Forgotten Sands for $16. Was really hoping to get Dead Space 2 for PS3 :( Anyone willing to trade Dead Space 2 360 version for your Dead Space 2 PS3 version???

I'm thinking of doing Blockbuster Game Pass for October so I can rented Rage, Batman, and Battlefield 3 to help save money.

How is it? I've used Gamefly and it's slow, plus every Tuesday my Blockbuster already has new games ready to go at 10am.

Is it a good deal for $22?

Hit 2 blockbusters near me. 1st one was decent, 2nd one had pretty much nothing.
Haul today:

SW:FU 1 (360) - $14.99
SW:FU2 (360) - Free

SSF4 (PS3)-14.99
DMC4 (360)- Free

[quote name='hawaiiboy']it used to work that way when it was an auto barcode but now they must scan a barcode after each pair to get proper deal. like others have said its just easier to ring them up 2 at a time to ensure you get them rung up properly.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='major morgan']The system definitely does NOT automatically give you the best deal. How the employee rings it up really matters.[/QUOTE]

I always have my games picked out in order and let the CSR know to ring them up so I get the most for my money. They have been scanning the barcode after the second game each time so no need to do separate transactions.

HB, I had my first bump in the BOGO road today. I went to one today and the Manager said it was buy a $14.99 or less, get one free, refused to try a higher priced game. I told her the other BB's did it yesterday and she said they should not be doing it. She said her store was a "training store" and she would have to call the other ones to tell them not to do it??? It seems the communication about this sale is poor. It made me feel like I was in Kmart today :lol:

I wish I had more BB's near me. I found a BBV with like 15 Donkey Kongs and a small army of STFUII's. I took 3 of each. The guy said somebody was in earlier and bought 10 games and said he was heading to GS. I've no idea what's up with this store.

[quote name='yedgee']Grabbed for PS3 for $53 from several stores:

Enslaved - $14.99
Enslaved - Free

Enslaved - $14.99
Lego Harry Potter - Free

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - $19.99
Megamind - Free

Will trade in 2 enslaved to Amazon for $22, Lego HP for $12 and Megamind for $8. Total $42 credit toward a new game.

Ends up only costing $11 for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Enslaved.

Something like that.

Very good deal.[/QUOTE]

I always have mixed thoughts when I read posts like this. I completely understand that trading in games or flipping is a way to get the real games you want for cheap. On the other hand the gamer in me thinks that it isn't cool to pick up so many copies of one game ruining a fellow gamers chance at picking that game up cheap. I usually don't bother buying multiple copies for that reason unless the flip is pretty big.

Anyway just a few random thoughts.. but truly, a good job to you.

[quote name='cancerman1120']WOW Best Buy...how many copies of SWFU:II do you need before dropping that TIV. Craziness.[/QUOTE]

Do not question their great wisdom! lol

I still might pick up a few games. Some I can make a few bucks back so I can grab an extra game or 2 I want.

[quote name='Pliskin101']I always have mixed thoughts when I read posts like this. I completely understand that trading in games or flipping is a way to get the real games you want for cheap. On the other hand the gamer in me thinks that it isn't cool to pick up so many copies of one game ruining a fellow gamers chance at picking that game up cheap. I usually don't bother buying multiple copies for that reason unless the flip is pretty big.

Anyway just a few random thoughts.. but truly, a good job to you.[/QUOTE]

I keep the flips to games that either have 2 or more (if it's a good game I'll leave 2 on the shelf and will never take the last one to flip). Basically I got a lot of medal of honor, STFU2 and AC:B with a few others mixed in.

I know this isn't the norm but the gamer in me wants to see people get good deals on games that they will play instead of being a greedy dick.

But I'm not going to condemn those that do it different to flip, because its their right. Might get pissed and try to battle them, but I know most of the people at my local stores and being nice to them goes a long way...

[quote name='Jimmienoman']I keep the flips to games that either have 2 or more (if it's a good game I'll leave 2 on the shelf and will never take the last one to flip). Basically I got a lot of medal of honor, STFU2 and AC:B with a few others mixed in.

I know this isn't the norm but the gamer in me wants to see people get good deals on games that they will play instead of being a greedy dick.[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty good policy to have for yourself everyone should think like that.

That is truly the "gamer" way to do it. :)

I wonder if i'll be able to find Catherine cheap. I'll definitely take that for the PS3. Been waiting to play that game even though I'm quite busy with school and work right now...

just so you guys know brink goes for 17 trade at blockbuster

traded in brink (i got for 10 from bestbuy) and picked up 2 star wars force 2 each for xbox and ps3 and flipped to best buy for 12 each plus 50% bonus and got 72

NOW THIS IS HOW MY FLIP WEEK WENT

traded in 92 ps2 games to best buy (thanks gamestop) for 168 dollars

traded in 4 star wars force 2 to best buy (thanks blockbuster) for 72

out of pocket only spent 45

got madden 12 (got best buy to price match toys r us 45)

got street fighter 4 AE

got demon souls

got kill zone 3 used

got brink ( on sale for 10 with game mag deal ) but flipped it to best buy for 17 to get a few swfu2

still got 100 left over at best buy for dead island and just in case another sale pop up

GREAT DEAL WEEK

[quote name='darkvulture']just so you guys know brink goes for 17 trade at blockbuster

traded in brink (i got for 10 from bestbuy) and picked up 2 star wars force 2 each for xbox and ps3 and flipped to best buy for 12 each plus 50% bonus and got 72

NOW THIS IS HOW MY FLIP WEEK WENT

traded in 92 ps2 games to best buy (thanks gamestop) for 168 dollars

traded in 4 star wars force 2 to best buy (thanks blockbuster) for 72

out of pocket only spent 45

got madden 12 (got best buy to price match toys r us 45)

got street fighter 4 AE

got demon souls

got kill zone 3 used

got brink ( on sale for 10 with game mag deal ) but flipped it to best buy for 17 to get a few swfu2

still got 100 left over at best buy for dead island and just in case another sale pop up

GREAT DEAL WEEK[/QUOTE]

Nice job. That's how you stretch a dollar...

[quote name='Pliskin101']I always have mixed thoughts when I read posts like this. I completely understand that trading in games or flipping is a way to get the real games you want for cheap. On the other hand the gamer in me thinks that it isn't cool to pick up so many copies of one game ruining a fellow gamers chance at picking that game up cheap. I usually don't bother buying multiple copies for that reason unless the flip is pretty big.

Anyway just a few random thoughts.. but truly, a good job to you.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. I actually left multiple copies of Enslaved at each store. Enslaved is like SWFUII. They both seem to multiply every time I go to BB. Ridiculous amounts.

[quote name='RCS0926']Nice job. That's how you stretch a dollar...[/QUOTE]

yeah my wife told me i can get a game madden 12 ( i know sad but its being married )

so i used that 60 lets say game allowance lol and turned it in to over 230 for only 50 of it lol

have not been able to game as much since being married but i still get my game on a lot

bread's done
Back