The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
The blockbuster I went to took all the signs down. I asked if the B1G1 sale was still running but the woman said it ended last week. I told her I heard it ended today, so she told me there's no expiration on the bar code and we could try it out. It worked so I spent $100 on games and immediately flipped it at Best Buy for $176, including the 50% and 10% bonus. Pretty good day.

picked up Splatterhouse and GH Warriors of Rock. Left behind another Splatterhouse, 2 Transformers WFC, The Shoot and Start The Party, since I picked those up last week. All PS3.

Drats, didn't have time today to get to the last few BBV to try and find Epic Mickey. Oh well, maybe a few copies will remain during the next sale.

Huzzah, hit another BBV and found Epic Mickey and Donkey Kong Country Returns for $25. SMG2, Splatterhouse, Epic Micket, and DKC Returns for $50, thanks BBV, definitely gonna hit the next BOGO

Came back to check to see if guides are being salvage so i can ask for a deal on Assassin Creed II guide. Still not, so I gave in and bought it for $5. :cry:

I've heard it from the inside that neither of the Blue Springs, MO locations have any intent on destroying/dumping guides this week... Any thoughts on why this might be?

Hawaiiboy, can you do me a huge favor and look up the TIV for Playstation Move Heroes? Also if you get a chance tomorrow can you check and see if the TIVs for Hunted and Brink fell? Someone here mentioned that the BBV TIVs drop on Tuesdays.

Also, a pretty knowledgeable BBV employee told me that the 5 for $20 blu ray sale is extended again. Is this true?

Thanks again for all you hard work and dedication. If you're still on vacation, no biggie. I'll call some of my local stores for all this information. It will just be really suspicious because I already traded in Brink and Hunted at all these stores and they know me very well. Maybe I'll call a far away store and prey they know "trade ins" are allowed again.

Was able to find mint copies of Tron and Mindjack, both for 360. Great deal, amd I wasnt even supposed to got to a Blockbuster, but found something. No Splatterhouse anywhere.

Shit, I'm sorry guys. Didn't realize Splatterhouse is one people were looking for. Had I known that, I would have gladly picked a couple PS3 versions up to sell for cheap. Eh, talk is cheap. In any case, my apologies.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Hawaiiboy, can you do me a huge favor and look up the TIV for Playstation Move Heroes? Also if you get a chance tomorrow can you check and see if the TIVs for Hunted and Brink fell? Someone here mentioned that the BBV TIVs drop on Tuesdays.

HB! I would like to know this as well! Thanks.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Hawaiiboy, can you do me a huge favor and look up the TIV for Playstation Move Heroes? Also if you get a chance tomorrow can you check and see if the TIVs for Hunted and Brink fell? Someone here mentioned that the BBV TIVs drop on Tuesdays.
[/QUOTE]

I checked this afternoon and the TIV for Playstation Move Heroes is $10. No idea if it will change tomorrow!

I managed to get the manager at my closest store to convert over two games I was looking for during the last couple of sales:)ps3:Split/Second n :ps3:Civ Rev). Unfortunately both of them are scratched though luckily they're all light scratches compared to the one the :ps3:Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions had. That was more like a gouge.

[quote name='Sutarion']I checked this afternoon and the TIV for Playstation Move Heroes is $10. No idea if it will change tomorrow![/QUOTE]

Lol, thanks man. I had a feeling if it was a great TIV, someone would have posted it today.

I traded in 360 Hunted today (Monday) for $22. I just have a feeling that Hunted and Brink TIVs might drop tomorrow if Tuesday is the drop date. Hopefully I'm wrong because Hawaiiboy said there are no price drops. Maybe if the actual prices of Brink and Hunted drop, we'll have a little warning that the TIVs are about to drop. I remember this happening sometimes in the old days of BBV flipping.

Right before the store closed, I traded in Hunted and bought a bunch of playstation move games. I'm not saving too much compared to gamestop. I just didn't want to pay extra for "new" copies at gamestop when there's a chance they would be "newsed" or whatever. I bought:

Start the Party - $14.99
The Shoot - $14.99
Sports Champions - $14.99
The Fight - $14.99
TV Superstars - $9.99

Wheel of fortune (wii) - $9.99

I went to exchange a game today and I asked about the strategy guides. The guy told me that they would keep selling the guides until they were all gone. He didn't mention anything about further markdowns being taken, but it would be nice if those guides make it to 90% off like the rest of the clearance from last time.

Again I'm still working under the assumption the guides will be destroyed per hawaiiboy, but it's good to know my store will keep them according to the manager.

What baffles me is why the Crysis 2 guide is 6.25 at all the stores i've been to and the MSRP for the guide is 19.99. That is not 75% off :D

I'll check on the game guides since everyone still seems to have them. The only thing I checked on was price drops so I don't know what communication updates were sent over the weekend. I'll probably swing by my store at some point this week. The 5 for $20 extension is news to me too though it doesn't surprise me.

So is the official dropped price on Donkey Kong Country Returns $14.99 or $24.99?

Yesterday, I went to my local BBV and brought the game to the register and asked "has this dropped in price?". He looked at me like I was a crazy person and scanned it telling me "no.. it hasn't" and that "if it's marked at that price then that's the price it is at".

A real dick, he then hands the game back to me, like I am going to put it back for him. I leave it at the counter and walk out. He stares at me through the window mouthing words to himself as I leave.

CUCKOO CUCKOO

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Hawaiiboy, can you do me a huge favor and look up the TIV for Playstation Move Heroes? Also if you get a chance tomorrow can you check and see if the TIVs for Hunted and Brink fell? Someone here mentioned that the BBV TIVs drop on Tuesdays.[/QUOTE]

why cant you call yourself right off the bat, im just wondering?

[quote name='TheHelix']Again I'm still working under the assumption the guides will be destroyed per hawaiiboy, but it's good to know my store will keep them according to the manager.

What baffles me is why the Crysis 2 guide is 6.25 at all the stores i've been to and the MSRP for the guide is 19.99. That is not 75% off :D[/QUOTE]
I thought I was the only one seeing that $6.25 price for the Crysis 2 guide at my closest BBV store. Good to know that employees at other stores apparently don't know basic math either.;)

Man that would be nice if DKCR dropped to 14.99...most BBV out here have a pretty good amount of them... I loving EY and EM and DKCR would defininitely show more love to my WII!

[quote name='JUSTSULTAN']Man that would be nice if DKCR dropped to 14.99...most BBV out here have a pretty good amount of them... I loving EY and EM and DKCR would defininitely show more love to my WII![/QUOTE]

I'm with the Guyver on this one, I'm digging those 2 games too and would really like to see DKCR on this sale too. BTW, it is still going on or what?

[quote name='destro4eva']I'm with the Guyver on this one, I'm digging those 2 games too and would really like to see DKCR on this sale too. BTW, it is still going on or what?[/QUOTE]

I think the sale ended yesterday. I'm quite positive it did.

I went yesterday and my store was still completely full of games.... for every system. the problem for me is I really didn't want to spend much. I ended up grabbing Zelda Spirit Tracks and Kingdom Hearts for DS for $10 total, they also had tons of zelda and fallout 3 guides for $5.

3 copies of Kirby on Wii (marked $20) and some Epic mickey and plenty of DKC (all marked 24.99)... so hopefully some drops by next sale, cus this store is just full of every good game on each system.. i just dont have the money to buy them all lol

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']You're not missing much...that game is not even worth it at $10. The defense cheats and it's just not fun. Glad I sold it to my coworker for $14 though. I didn't want that game. I wouldn't even play it if it was free, lol.[/QUOTE]

Glad I didn't grab it then! Playing skate 3 and forgot how much I enjoyed skateboarding games!

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I bought NBA Jam during the last sale and promptly traded it in to Gamestop for a profit. It's horrible.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I looked up ratings before I read both of your guys posts and realized it was a good job to me for not getting tricked.

Definitely added to my backlog. God Bless Direct TV for keeping BBV alive. Now I just have to have some good excuses to keep the bank statements away from the wife.

Splatterhouse x 1
Final Fantasy XIII x 1
AC: Brotherhood x 1
Madagascar 2 x 1
Mind Jack x 1
Tron Evolution x 1
Megamind x 1
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions x 1
SWFU 2 x 20
Epic Mickey x 4

Damn, the TIV for Brink at BBV is still $17, should have taken my $11 copy and traded it in for Heavy Rain and Enslaved. Oh well, so awaits the next BOGO

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Because it doesn't hurt anyone to post it here. fuck off.[/QUOTE]

Excessive :roll: Doesn't hurt for you to call either. I just called my BBV and found out in two seconds, HB isn't your slave just call and find out jacko

[quote name='NeverGrewUp']Definitely added to my backlog. God Bless Direct TV for keeping BBV alive. Now I just have to have some good excuses to keep the bank statements away from the wife.

Splatterhouse x 1
Final Fantasy XIII x 1
AC: Brotherhood x 1
Madagascar 2 x 1
Mind Jack x 1
Tron Evolution x 1
Megamind x 1
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions x 1
SWFU 2 x 20
Epic Mickey x 4[/QUOTE]
Wow how many of those SWFU2 did you trade in?And i think it was Dish Network actually :cool:.

Anyone try to exchange a gift card for five free rentals. Just wondering, because as nice as my BBV employees are they never seem to know what is going on.

[quote name='Dark Rider']Anyone try to exchange a gift card for five free rentals. Just wondering, because as nice as my BBV employees are they never seem to know what is going on.[/QUOTE]

Yep, the gal (manager type) mentioned it to me so I got my 5 free rental card. I didn't mention it myself because HB mentioned that it wasn't supplosed to be active until Monday but she was able to do it last Saturday.

Fortunately, I wasn't out much, only $6.xx on the card which is just a bit more than what I'd pay for $1 BBV express rentals.

Price drops effective 9/19.

:ps3:
Cars 2 $29.99
Duke nukem $39.99
F.E.A.R 3 $39.99
Green lantern $39.99
Infamous 2 $44.99
Lego star wars III $9.99
Operation flashpoint red river $44.99
Transformers dark of the moon $44.99
Move sports champions $9.99

:360:
Duke nukem $39.99
F.E.A.R 3 $39.99
Green lantern $39.99
Lego pirates of the Caribbean $29.99
Lego star wars III $9.99
Operation flashpoint redriver $44.99
Star wars force unleashed 2 $9.99
Transformers dark of the moon $44.99
WWE all stars $34.99

:wii:
Club penguin game day $9.99
Green lantern $19.99
Lego pirates of the Caribbean $29.99
Lego star wars III $9.99
Transformers dark of the moon $34.99

FYI duke nukem tiv is $22 right now but gonna drop mon.

[quote name='strait edge follower']There is a copy of lego star wars 3 in my blockbuster. Im probibly going to get it now[/QUOTE]

Me too!

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Price drops effective 9/19.

[quote name='strait edge follower']There is a copy of lego star wars 3 in my blockbuster. Im probibly going to get it now[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JUSTSULTAN']Me too![/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back