The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='vicks']Wow. I know what I'm doing one more time tomorrow. Do they require full case and such? Or is game only alright? You got me all giddy now...

As for Red River - that was under 15, was it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think I may just head out that way tomorrow; it's a 45 minute drive but those trades would definitely be worth it.

How picky are they? I too would live to know if they only take complete games.

Thanks!

[quote name='mattcube64']Yeah, I think I may just head out that way tomorrow; it's a 45 minute drive but those trades would definitely be worth it.

How picky are they? I too would live to know if they only take complete games.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I think it varies widely from associate to associate. All my trades have been smooth as can be. All had cover art and most had manuals. However, there has been complaints from CAGs in the MC thread about stores that didn't know how to do the trade in so YMMV....

Dammit... I have seen two people post that they got Operation Flashpoint: Red River during the sale now. I am hoping they just meant Dragon Rising and not Red River. Why can't a Blockbuster screw up a price by me. :)

Red River was from the Gamefly sale; my TIVs for it tanked before I got the game shipped to me. Was thrilled to offload it for more than what I had anticipated. The first time I went they checked the bottoms of the discs, the second time I went, they just checked to make sure the discs were there. They did not require the manual but I did have original cases for everything and about 95% of all my trades had the manuals. Good luck!

Never heard of Microcenter except on CAG - it's one of those mythical places like Meijer and Nebraska Furniture Mart where people have always found great deals on CAG yet don't really exist in the real world ;).

[quote name='IronZombie']I politely said "is there any way you can search for it in your system? Maybe type in the name?" and was told no and that they don't sell them because they're part of a promotion. Guy was clearly talking out of his ass. :whistle2:x I'm gonna stop by again tomorrow and hope there's someone else at the register and I'll bring the part number this time.[/QUOTE]

While I got my 2 accepted, eventually, at two different stores, at one the manager was asking me if this was some sort of demo and he kept turning the case over and over and looking through the manuals and the inspecting the Kinect sensor calibration card :lol:

And in case you guys haven't been paying attention, people are getting banned from Best Buy trade-in so be careful bringing things there.

[quote name='Althax']I'm just shocked at how well this worked....[/QUOTE]

That makes two of us.

I didn't know what in the hell everyone was talking about "KA" until 5:00 AM this morning. I QUICKLY found out. The first GS I went by had two copies and after hearing the word "awesomeness" from the clerk x five or six times (which is why I sort of hate GameStop) as he was trying to sell Pre-Orders for God knows what, he said, "You want two copies of 'KA'?" "Yep", I said, fifteen minutes later I had me 5 for $30 at the BBV two miles down the road.

This PM I was on my way out to a BBV (where I had googled and verified that they had select titles that had been picked through since Friday at the other BBV's in the Charleston-area); this BBV is a good 30 minute drive away and I had several copies of RF: 'Geddon, Brink, and Duke Nuke, I decided to call to make sure they took trade-ins. They didn't. I immediately punched "GS" in my GPS and there was one within 0.5 miles away (along with another BBV within 3.0 miles away that I thought had been picked through).

This GS was VERY slow and when asked for assistance said, "I need as many "KA's" as you've got, I gotta get me some gag gifts for X-mas parties." They dude rolled out 12 fresh ones; I still have four left and they worked at 3 of the 4 stores I hit this PM.

"KA" is going for $34.99 (or something like that on the shelves at BBV; which is about what Duke Nuke and Red Faction 'Geddon are going for) AND there are PLENTY for the pickin'. I cannot BELIEVE this! It's fucking hilarious, IMHO.

[quote name='fortunado']So yeah, I just found this out yesterday and capitalized on it today. Microcenter is your local trade-in Mecca. Here are some values from my trade-in today. There was no limit on the number you could trade in either. Receipt doesn't mention which console so I'll do my best to label them correctly. Enjoy.

:360: Dead Space 2 - $25
:360: Dragon Age 2 - $20
:360: Shift 2 Unleashed - $20
:360: Transformers Dark of the Moon - $25
:360: F1 2010 - $18
:360: Two Worlds 2 - $25
:ps3: Two Worlds 2 - $22
:ps3: F1 2010 - $17
:ps3: Dead Space 2 - $17
:ps3: Operation Flashpoint Red River - $28
:ps3: Dragon Age 2 - $22
:ps3: AC Brotherhood - $12
:wii: Just Dance Summer Party - $10
:wii: Wii Party - $15
:wii: Conduit 2 - $22
:wii: Monopoly Streets - $18

Also of note, the guy in front of me traded in a few that caught my eye (not sure if he was a CAG). These are about 90% accurate but I am writing from memory.

:360: Smackdown vs Raw 2011 - $20
:360: Hunted - $25
:360: AC Brotherhood - $20
:wii: Kirby Epic Yarn - $20ish[/QUOTE]

THIS. POST. IS. AWESOME. Just called one of my boys about this. After calling in the morning to confirm they accept trade ins (i saw there were a few issues in the microcenter thread) we're going to head out there to trade in after hitting 2 blockbusters. If I can pickup a netbook for my girl I won't have to hear her mouth about the shitload of cash I plan on dropping BF.

[quote name='kingsnuff']THIS. POST. IS. AWESOME. Just called one of my boys about this. After calling in the morning to confirm they accept trade ins (i saw there were a few issues in the microcenter thread) we're going to head out there to trade in after hitting 2 blockbusters. If I can pickup a netbook for my girl I won't have to hear her mouth about the shitload of cash I plan on dropping BF.[/QUOTE]

What is micro center exactly ? And my goodness those tiv's are crazy good

[quote name='kingsnuff']THIS. POST. IS. AWESOME. Just called one of my boys about this. After calling in the morning to confirm they accept trade ins (i saw there were a few issues in the microcenter thread) we're going to head out there to trade in after hitting 2 blockbusters. If I can pickup a netbook for my girl I won't have to hear her mouth about the shitload of cash I plan on dropping BF.[/QUOTE]

If you liked that one, you'll love this one. Enjoy CAG.

Microcenter TIVs (not all these are from BBV, just fyi):

:360: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - $20
:360: Batman: Arkham Asylum - $7
:360: Batman: Arkham City - $30
:360: Battlefield 3 - $30
:360: Brink - $28
:360: Cars 2 - $12
:360: CoD Modern Warfare 3 - $30
:360: Crysis 2 - $25
:360: Dead Space 2 - $25
:360: Dragon Age 2 - $20
:360: Enslaved - $16
:360: F1 2010 - $18
:360: F.E.A.R 3 - $25
:360: Forza 4 - $30
:360: Gears of War 3 - $30
:360: Hunted: The Demon's Forge - $25
:360: Kinect Adventures - $7
:360: Madden 2012 - $25
:360: Michael Jackson The Experience - $20
:360: NBA 2k12 - $25
:360: NFS Shift 2: Unleashed - $20
:360: R.U.S.E. - $7
:360: Sniper Ghost Warrior - $12
:360: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 - $20
:360: Transformers: Dark of the Moon - $25
:360: Two Worlds 2 - $25
:360: WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011 - $20

:ps3: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - $12
:ps3: Battlefield 3 - $30
:ps3: Crysis 2 - $25
:ps3: Dead Island - $30
:ps3: Dead Space 2 - $17
:ps3: Dragon Age 2 - $22
:ps3: Duke Nukem Forever - $15
:ps3: F1 2010 - $17
:ps3: God of War Origins - $25
:ps3: Gran Turismo 5 - $25
:ps3: King of Fighters XII - $9
:ps3: L.A. Noire - $25
:ps3: Operation Flashpoint: Red River - $28
:ps3: Resistance 3 - $30
:ps3: Two Worlds 2 - $22
:ps3: Uncharted 3 - $30

:wii: Conduit 2 - $22
:wii: Donkey Kong Country Returns - $25
:wii: Epic Mickey - $22
:wii: Goldeneye - $17
:wii: Just Dance: Summer Party - $10
:wii: Just Dance 3 - $25
:wii: Kirby Epic Yarn - $25
:wii: Kirby Return To Dreamland - $25
:wii: Madden 2011 - $10
:wii: Monopoly Streets - $18
:wii: New Super Mario Bros. - $25
:wii: Wii Party - $15

:ds: Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 - $15
:ds: Kirby Mass Attack - $15
:ds: Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhen - $10
:ds: Pokemon White, Black or Platinum - $15
:ds: Starfox 64 - $15

This is my last post in this thread about MC TIVs; though, if you want more, go here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308644.

While we're talking about ridiculous deals at Microcenter. They have a refurbished Kinect for $80. That's pretty damn good right there. Trade a few games in for a Kinect.

Damn, I really wish I had a Microcenter within distance from me. I would love to get an i5 or i7 CPU/motherboard combo. And with TIV flips like that, it would end up costing like... I dunno... a few bucks!?

if all goes well I'll be getting rid of:

:360:
Crysis 2 - $25
Dead Space 2 x2
Dragon Age 2 x2
F.E.A.R 3
Kinect Adventures x10
NFS Shift 2: Unleashed
Two Worlds 2 x5

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood x4
Batman Arkham City
Dragon Age 2 x2
Enslaved x3
F1 2010 x3

Bringing along Tron and Star Ware TFU2 just for a TIV refrence. If the value is high so long!

Snap. There is a microcenter close enough to me for it to be worth it at those TIV's... especially if I find out I'm banned from Best Buy tomorrow! heh. Seriously though, holy shit... it's just up the road from where I work too. Def found a new home if BBY decides to send me out into the cold.

We sure that Microcenter will hold values tomorrow? I don't see anything in the other thread about it, or a specific date in which values typically update.

I'll give em a call tomorrow around noon; and if a couple values check out, I'll head up there around 2pm CST and report back.

You guys know that I've always been more on the side of flipping than most mods here, but this is starting to get out of hand. In the "olden days" there were only a few people that traded in mass quantities of single games like so many of you are fessing up to. One of them is a now legendary and notorious banned member who went by the name of djkunai. Now it seems this thread is full of his clones ;).

I'm just saying maybe back it off a bit, 'K? Or at least the discussion of it. Don't take me wrong - I'm not saying I'm going to ban anyone. I'd just like the thread to stay a little more on topic about BBV finds and the ins and outs of the sale. If someone wants to post every so often what the current trade-in value of certain games are, that's cool - but no need to go into much more detail than that.

[quote name='io']You guys know that I've always been more on the side of flipping than most mods here, but this is starting to get out of hand. In the "olden days" there were only a few people that traded in mass quantities of single games like so many of you are fessing up to. One of them is a now legendary and notorious banned member who went by the name of djkunai. Now it seems this thread is full of his clones ;).

I'm just saying maybe back it off a bit, 'K? Or at least the discussion of it.[/QUOTE]

I do what I want! :booty:

:lol:

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I do what I want! :booty:

:lol:[/QUOTE]

You can DO whatever the hell you want, you just shouldn't necessarily post about it - that's my point ;).

Hmmm... May 2009... Isn't that around when djkunai went up in flames? Nah, couldn't be!

[quote name='io']You guys know that I've always been more on the side of flipping than most mods here, but this is starting to get out of hand. In the "olden days" there were only a few people that traded in mass quantities of single games like so many of you are fessing up to. One of them is a now legendary and notorious banned member who went by the name of djkunai. Now it seems this thread is full of his clones ;).

I'm just saying maybe back it off a bit, 'K? Or at least the discussion of it. Don't take me wrong - I'm not saying I'm going to ban anyone. I'd just like the thread to stay a little more on topic about BBV finds and the ins and outs of the sale. If someone wants to post every so often what the current trade-in value of certain games are, that's cool - but no need to go into much more detail than that.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, io, point taken :) You seem pretty cool, so I'll personally try to cool it down a bit, and hopefully others will, too.

Anyway, for anyone that cares, the Blue Springs, MO stores seemed to have a fair bit more inventory today than they did yesterday on the used games. Not so much in the way of unique titles, but I saw they went from five AssCreedBro copies to about 15 - same with SvR and MindJack.

I would have probably traded in 4-6 Kinect Adventures overall if either of my Gamestop's actually had one. Ah well, I cleaned out my BBV pretty well anyway so I would've just been sitting on the credit until the next sale.

I'm just saying maybe back it off a bit, 'K? Or at least the discussion of it. Don't take me wrong - I'm not saying I'm going to ban anyone. I'd just like the thread to stay a little more on topic about BBV finds and the ins and outs of the sale. If someone wants to post every so often what the current trade-in value of certain games are, that's cool - but no need to go into much more detail than that.[/QUOTE]
Wasn't djkunai the guy who claimed to have strippers doing flipping for him?:lol: I always took his posts with a grain of salt. Up till maybe 3-4 years ago I never flipped as much as I have been. Then again it was only about 5 years ago when I found CAG and the supply of nearly free clearance and sale games kinda started me on the road to this path I'm on now.:razz:

But we definitely do need to chill out a lil bit with this, since this is a public forum and BB and other retailers are most likely monitoring it.:whistle2:#

[quote name='io']You can DO whatever the hell you want, you just shouldn't necessarily post about it - that's my point ;).

Hmmm... May 2009... Isn't that around when djkunai went up in flames? Nah, couldn't be![/QUOTE]

haha, I think I actually remember that name, although only vaguely. Probably actually remember the talks of his being banned and not him. I didn't really post much the first couple of months after I joined anyway; ya'll can be a little intimidating at first. :)

[quote name='io']You can DO whatever the hell you want, you just shouldn't necessarily post about it - that's my point ;).

Hmmm... May 2009... Isn't that around when djkunai went up in flames? Nah, couldn't be![/QUOTE]

Agreed 110%. I'll post the occasional TIV when asked and I'll post the lists of games that I'm keeping for myself. I've been trying to not post specifics about my lists of games that I'm not keeping for myself. ;)

[quote name='BudzMcGee']haha, I think I actually remember that name, although only vaguely. Probably actually remember the talks of his being banned and not him. I didn't really post much the first couple of months after I joined anyway; ya'll can be a little intimidating at first. :)[/QUOTE]

Nope, you can't back out of this one.;) io insinuated that you're kunai, so you're the new djkunai now. Get used to it buster. ;)

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Agreed 110%. I'll post the occasional TIV when asked and I'll post the lists of games that I'm keeping for myself. I've been trying to not post specifics about my lists of games that I'm not keeping for myself. ;)

Nope, you can't back out of this one.;) io insinuated that you're kunai, so you're the new djkunai now. Get used to it buster. ;)[/QUOTE]

So... like... do I have to get strippers to do my trade-ins for me or is that optional?

[quote name='BudzMcGee']So... like... do I have to get strippers to do my trade-ins for me or is that optional?[/QUOTE]

No, not unless you want to make a little empire out of your flipping habit.

By the way, he was in the LA area somewhere - so if there's anyone there who can never find anything at BBV, or any other clearance where flippable games can be found, that's probably because him and his crew are still working it ;).

Sucks that I was not able to take advantage of this deal with kinect adventures. Lockport, Homer Glenn and Frankfort all got a message about not taking games with barcodes and Frankfort said that they have two copies already and don't need more

[quote name='io']

By the way, he was in the LA area somewhere - so if there's anyone there who can never find anything at BBV, or any other clearance where flippable games can be found, that's probably because him and his crew are still working it ;).[/QUOTE]

So that's where all our games go. :cry:

[quote name='io']No, not unless you want to make a little empire out of your flipping habit.[/QUOTE]

An empire built of strippers eh?

I'm not ruling it out.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wasn't djkunai the guy who claimed to have strippers doing flipping for him?:lol: I always took his posts with a grain of salt. Up till maybe 3-4 years ago I never flipped as much as I have been. Then again it was only about 5 years ago when I found CAG and the supply of nearly free clearance and sale games kinda started me on the road to this path I'm on now.:razz:

But we definitely do need to chill out a lil bit with this, since this is a public forum and BB and other retailers are most likely monitoring it.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

He was almost certainly the one who claimed to have employees. IIRC, he claimed to be paying people like 20 an hour. I can't remember if he was also the one who ranted about having gucci shoes that he purchased from all his flipping profits. To some extent I get guys like him and fire thief screwed up in my mind.

[quote name='japaki']Sucks that I was not able to take advantage of this deal with kinect adventures. Lockport, Homer Glenn and Frankfort all got a message about not taking games with barcodes and Frankfort said that they have two copies already and don't need more[/QUOTE]
The Frankfort copies are mine. You try Joliet area BBVs?

Thought I was out of the game today, since I came to WV with my wife... Guess what? There is a BBY, a BBV and a GS within about 2 miles of each other. God bless the great state of WV ;) Guess I'll run out there a *ahem* make use of this wonderful BBV trade deal today, as well.

[quote name='io']Never heard of Microcenter except on CAG - it's one of those mythical places like Meijer and Nebraska Furniture Mart where people have always found great deals on CAG yet don't really exist in the real world ;).
[/QUOTE]

Funny, I feel the same way when people talk about Frys and Hastings, and yes, Nebraska Furniture Mart. Meijer and Microcenter, I've got!

[quote name='io']You guys know that I've always been more on the side of flipping than most mods here, but this is starting to get out of hand. In the "olden days" there were only a few people that traded in mass quantities of single games like so many of you are fessing up to. One of them is a now legendary and notorious banned member who went by the name of djkunai. Now it seems this thread is full of his clones ;).[/QUOTE]
Les Enfants Terribles?

[quote name='hawaiiboy']KA still holding at $15.

Everybody dance trades in for $15 which u can get at bb for $11.99 today[/QUOTE]

Just when I think I'm out, they keep pulling me back in. ;)

Edit: Follow up question: Is this price in store also, or should we order online w/ in-store pickup?

just called my local BBV to see if they accept trade-ins and the woman told me: "only on games and towards the purchase of another game"

so i wonder if that has to be in the same transaction and i couldn't build credit to use on games in the future hmmm

[quote name='hawaiiboy']KA still holding at $15.

Everybody dance trades in for $15 which u can get at bb for $11.99 today[/QUOTE]

HB is it common for BBV to have a limit on how many they can take of a certain game? My local BBVs are telling me they reached their limit of 10 of KA. One store said they had taken in 9 and could take 1 more so I flipped another one there. I figured it was just a tactic to get people to stop bringing in KA but they still took 1 I guess.

[quote name='kaseyjakes']just called my local BBV to see if they accept trade-ins and the woman told me: "only on games and towards the purchase of another game"

so i wonder if that has to be in the same transaction and i couldn't build credit to use on games in the future hmmm[/QUOTE]

Youll get different stories from different BBV. One told me the credit could only be used at that certain store. Another store let me cash out a gift card with the credit no problem.

I got denied at 2 blockbusters (for KA) but they took my duke nukems. Fortunately they did have a ton of preowned stock so It was still worth going. When my other gamefly order comes in i'll try to trade KA at a 3rd and final local blockbuster.

HB is it common for BBV to have a limit on how many they can take of a certain game? My local BBVs are telling me they reached their limit of 10 of KA. One store said they had taken in 9 and could take 1 more so I flipped another one there. I figured it was just a tactic to get people to stop bringing in KA but they still took 1 I guess.

stores tend to just make stuff up as they go so although the system will allow them to take more the store mgr probably set a limit

[quote name='strait edge follower']Hey hb how come my bbv doesn't do trade ins but others do ? It really sucks :([/QUOTE]

Do you have a franchised store?

At first I got a "Wut a trade mean?", but then a manager chimed in and said no trades without barcodes... because they could be fake. There are a few BBVs left to try, so we'll see.

I'm 2 for 4 in trade ins. The two denials claimed they can't take KAs that don't have bar codes. The other two did a look up for me and took them. So I'm done. I'll take my $60 and run.

bread's done
Back