The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JaylisJayP']Well for anyone wondering if there are still Killzone 2's out there, I picked one up tonight that was probably still there because it was mispriced at $29.99

Did 1 more lot of 5

Killzone 2
Splinter Cell Conviction PS3
Prototype 360
Civilization Revolution PS3
New Carnival Games Wii

And that brings my grand total of games bought (all to keep and play) up to 35. Yeah, probably done for this sale :)[/QUOTE]

I may be behind, but I"m pretty sure that was never released for ps3 :p

[quote name='dmdragon']I may be behind, but I"m pretty sure that was never released for ps3 :p[/QUOTE]

Yup I messed up...whichever one was released on PS3 :)

[quote name='destro4eva']How easy is it to get the Blockbuster stores to convert Rentals to Sales? I'm guessing it varies store by store, manager to manager?[/QUOTE]

YMMV. In one store the manager tried to sell me more games by offering to convert titles to rentals. In another store, I tried to buy Dead Space 2 but it was missing a disc and the manager wouldn't even convert a rental for me.

I looked over the games I bought on Day One of the sale, but somehow I missed a giant chunk missing out of the middle of my Dead Rising 2. I tried playing it, but it randomly freezes for a couple minutes a lot of times.

They have more copies, so this shouldn't be a problem, except I accidentally threw away my reciept. I usually stick them in the case of a movie or game that I buy, but this time I left it in the bag by mistake. By the time I realized what I had done, the trash can had been filled with the bag at the bottom. I started pulling stuff out but when I hit spaghetti and my daughter's diapers, my buddy who was sitting there told me it wasn't worth it to keep going. I should not have listened to him, because it would have been worth it, knowing what I know about this disc now.

:cry: FML...

^ dude, chances are you probably still have the BBV stickers all over the game's case. Take it back to the store and tell em your copy won't work and hopefully they'll remember you. It's worth a try at least. Last time I got stuck with a scratched up copy of AC: Brotherhood that would not read and they changed it out for me without a receipt.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']I looked over the games I bought on Day One of the sale, but somehow I missed a giant chunk missing out of the middle of my Dead Rising 2. I tried playing it, but it randomly freezes for a couple minutes a lot of times.

They have more copies, so this shouldn't be a problem, except I accidentally threw away my reciept. I usually stick them in the case of a movie or game that I buy, but this time I left it in the bag by mistake. By the time I realized what I had done, the trash can had been filled with the bag at the bottom. I started pulling stuff out but when I hit spaghetti and my daughter's diapers, my buddy who was sitting there told me it wasn't worth it to keep going. I should not have listened to him, because it would have been worth it, knowing what I know about this disc now.

:cry: FML...[/QUOTE]

If you paid and had them add the item to your Blockbuster account history then you would be fine (as they could simply look up your purchase)... but it sounds like you probably didn't do that. Maybe you can try working it out with them a the store? Even if it doesn't work out I wouldn't say "FML" over such a trivial matter though. It sucks but it's not really a serious problem in the grand scheme of things.

[quote name='Rozz']Even if it doesn't work out I wouldn't say "FML" over such a trivial matter though. It sucks but it's not really a serious problem in the grand scheme of things.[/QUOTE]It sounds like someone needs to learn how to use FML properly ;)

[quote name='Rozz']If you paid and had them add the item to your Blockbuster account history then you would be fine (as they could simply look up your purchase)... but it sounds like you probably didn't do that. Maybe you can try working it out with them a the store? Even if it doesn't work out I wouldn't say "FML" over such a trivial matter though. It sucks but it's not really a serious problem in the grand scheme of things.[/QUOTE]
Oh, I know about the 'FML' thing. It was just being over-dramatic.
'First World Problems' and all.

But no, I don't even know what you are talking about with the purchase history thing. I need to check when I get a chance if I may have slid the receipt into one of the cases for Rome S1. I don't think I did, but I might have.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']
But no, I don't even know what you are talking about with the purchase history thing. I need to check when I get a chance if I may have slid the receipt into one of the cases for Rome S1. I don't think I did, but I might have.[/QUOTE]

Did they ask if you have a blockbuster account? Perhaps a card that they scanned to bring you up in the system? If so, you will not need your receipt as they have a record of your purchase.

But no, I don't even know what you are talking about with the purchase history thing. I need to check when I get a chance if I may have slid the receipt into one of the cases for Rome S1. I don't think I did, but I might have.

if you have a bbv account and the games were purchased on it then they can search your acct history and see when you bought the game. if there is a NM (non member)
on the bottom of the receipt then there is no way to go back and see when it was bought and you would most likely need a receipt to do any kind of exchange.

Oh, okay. I get it now. Every now and then they ask if I have to see my BB card when I buy games and I have always found it weird, but now I know why. They haven't done it recently though.
I guess I'll start asking them to scan it when I purchase stuff.

[quote name='Velo214']i always thought fml was acronym for 'for my loss'. lol. first world problems ;)[/QUOTE]
I always thought it stood for fuck my luck or something like that. :razz:

[quote name='kyrhon']What has happened to this thread.[/QUOTE]
That's what I'd like to know too. I figured we'd keep seeing people posting their hauls and what not. But it seems like after the first week of the sale this thread has gone dead just about.

Maybe everybody is burnt out on trying to grab some stuff from this sale. I know my closest store got hit on BF(according to the employees), since quite a bit of their stock was gone that was there when I stopped by on day one of the sale.:whistle2:#

I still wanna check the further out stores that I haven't hit as of yet to see if they still have anything decent. The one that supposedly had both Dead Space games for PS3 had the second one the other day but the first one was MIA.:whistle2:#

Eh, I think everyone just kinda cleared out the stores. Mine don't have much worth flipping any more, and certainly nothing worth playing.

Last night I headed out to the Independence, MO location (Off Noland Road) to see their selection... My God, it was awful. Some old sports games and a bunch of copies of expensive BF3.

That said, the day before yesterday, I did the following:

4x Brink = $40 in BBY credit -> $68 in BlockBuster Credit -> 10 $14.99 games -> $116 Gamestop credit.

It took a while, and I probably could have got more credit at Best Buy (but didn't want to risk a ban with more than 3x on games), so I did Gamestop. A tad shy of a 3x flip, so definitely not bad. But... I just don't shop at GS much at all. And so I'll have to keep an eye out for good flips from there back to Best Buy, lol.

Oh, and the Blockbuster people basically hate me now. I'm always super polite, and try to be easy going... but even with only trading 2 Brinks at each store, and 2 KAs, it's like they "know", which is fine, except if they're gonna let me get away with it, they could be nice about it. Whatever...

I wonder if Blockbuster is ever going to mark down some of the really old games or ones without artwork/instructions. I swear some of those have been there since they started these sales 2 years ago.

[quote name='mattcube64']Eh, I think everyone just kinda cleared out the stores. Mine don't have much worth flipping any more, and certainly nothing worth playing.

Last night I headed out to the Independence, MO location (Off Noland Road) to see their selection... My God, it was awful. Some old sports games and a bunch of copies of expensive BF3.

That said, the day before yesterday, I did the following:

4x Brink = $40 in BBY credit -> $68 in BlockBuster Credit -> 10 $14.99 games -> $116 Gamestop credit.

It took a while, and I probably could have got more credit at Best Buy (but didn't want to risk a ban with more than 3x on games), so I did Gamestop. A tad shy of a 3x flip, so definitely not bad. But... I just don't shop at GS much at all. And so I'll have to keep an eye out for good flips from there back to Best Buy, lol.

Oh, and the Blockbuster people basically hate me now. I'm always super polite, and try to be easy going... but even with only trading 2 Brinks at each store, and 2 KAs, it's like they "know", which is fine, except if they're gonna let me get away with it, they could be nice about it. Whatever...[/QUOTE]
My closest store has some old shit that's left in stock now too(Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom, MK vs. DC, etc). If I had actually finished Hunted I'd probably dump my personal copy at BBV to get a bunch towards another 5 pack and pick up some these older titles along with some of the newer stuff that flips decently n get rid of those at BB to recoup some of the cost.

I wish my stores all took trade ins without problems. The store I finally found that took them now told me that DirectTV has total control of Blockbuster as of yesterday and sent a memo to all Blockbusters yesterday saying that they no longer take trade-ins... I called around a few other stores and they told me the same thing. One store told me they take trade-ins but the manager has to decide if he'll take the games or not and pretty much only wants certain titles (i.e. the latest good shit and not Brink). I know I've posted about this before but I'm guessing it's only a regional thing despite what the stores tell me (they say the managers have nothing to do with it and corporate made this decision, but how could that be when everyone else's stores here are taking trade-ins?).

I wish my stores all took trade ins without problems. The store I finally found that took them now told me that DirectTV has total control of Blockbuster as of yesterday and sent a memo to all Blockbusters yesterday saying that they no longer take trade-ins... I called around a few other stores and they told me the same thing. One store told me they take trade-ins but the manager has to decide if he'll take the games or not and pretty much only wants certain titles (i.e. the latest good shit and not Brink). I know I've posted about this before but I'm guessing it's only a regional thing despite what the stores tell me (they say the managers have nothing to do with it and corporate made this decision, but how could that be when everyone else's stores here are taking trade-ins?).

its dish that owns bbv.

go into a store that says they dont take trades and look for the board with the store managers name and right below it should be the district managers name and phone #. the board is usually located next to the coming soon signs. i would give the DM a call and see if its a district type thing or SM's just making stuff up. every store left in our district takes trades and have always taken trades.

that supposed memo that went out is definitely a crock. tell him/her that you want to see it.

I have had the best experience at BBV for buying used games. Nice employees and good selection for flipping (I can always find at least five titles thru mixing and matching platforms). Here is what I have found to help me be succesful:
*Greet each employee when you walk in - amazing what a simple, "Good morning!" will do for you.
*I am always up front with the employee - I only want the game if it has an instruction manual and in good condition. I use the line, "I like to collect games."
*I try to go to BBVs that do not have a GameRush or ones that do not take trades - more selection usually because they are not getting wiped out due to KA credit or the like.
*I stop in at BBV just to look. I don't always buy but at least I look around and let them see my face so they recognize me.
*KARMA. I only buy five games at a time. Yes, there have been times when I could have bought in the double digits but I want to give others a chance. 90% of my purchases are for flipping so I don't want to be a dick.

[quote name='mattcube64']

Oh, and the Blockbuster people basically hate me now. I'm always super polite, and try to be easy going... but even with only trading 2 Brinks at each store, and 2 KAs, it's like they "know", which is fine, except if they're gonna let me get away with it, they could be nice about it. Whatever...[/QUOTE]

Lmao, the same at my BB. I got lucky at one BB I go to all the time, and they took like 10 KA's off my hands. The other 2 gave me shit. One said I could only do 2 and the other said 4. I was nice about it though, but wanted to be like fuck you to the other 2 store, especially the one that would only take 2. Y'all have 38 copies of Bullet Storm and 25 copies of Brink over there. Take my DAMN KA's or i will :twoguns: this place up because I had one too many :beer:. I kid I kid I realize I was over killing it with the KA's, and a small part of my cheap ass felt bad about it. Felt much better when I got my $250 bucks in store credit though. Thank you CAG for showing me the way. Now on to many more flips!

[quote name='dcemantrades']brink trade in value $4 dynasty warriors 7 value - $17[/QUOTE]

For BBV?! I hope not...that would kill the Brink flips...

[quote name='bigdrew3000']Lmao, the same at my BB. I got lucky at one BB I go to all the time, and they took like 10 KA's off my hands. The other 2 gave me shit. One said I could only do 2 and the other said 4.[/QUOTE]

Really? Thanks for contributing to the downfall of KA. :shame:

[quote name='bigdrew3000']Lmao, the same at my BB. I got lucky at one BB I go to all the time, and they took like 10 KA's off my hands. The other 2 gave me shit. One said I could only do 2 and the other said 4. [/QUOTE]

You are the worst kind of person.

[quote name='doodmandood']You are the worst kind of person.[/QUOTE]
Thing is, he's not the worst flipper of KA though. I'm sure there are others out there who did many more copies. That's probably also why Brink tanked now, since it's $10 a copy at BB right now and BBV was giving $17 per for it.

As it stands I may try and blow through the rest of Duke Nukem Forever and dump it at BBV, since BB got smart and dropped the tiv there to $2 per platform.:cry:

[quote name='doodmandood']You are the worst kind of person.[/QUOTE]

Yes, right up there with child molesters, rapist, and murder's. The lowly game flipping guy. Dramatic much? Call or think of me what you will. I won't lose a wink of sleep from thinking about it.

[quote name='bigdrew3000']Yes, right up there with child molesters, rapist, and murder's. The lowly game flipping guy. Dramatic much? Call or think of me what you will. I won't lose a wink of sleep from thinking about it.[/QUOTE]

ANYONE can flip. However, people like you cause companies to pay more attention to TIV and develop things like unique redemption codes. Instead of being a taker, you should try to approach things from a communal perspective.

When people abuse information, it causes people to be reluctant to share said info. So, the more people abuse the system (like you), the faster a community dies.

[quote name='bigdrew3000']Lmao, the same at my BB. I got lucky at one BB I go to all the time, and they took like 10 KA's off my hands. The other 2 gave me shit. One said I could only do 2 and the other said 4. I was nice about it though, but wanted to be like fuck you to the other 2 store, especially the one that would only take 2. Y'all have 38 copies of Bullet Storm and 25 copies of Brink over there. Take my DAMN KA's or i will :twoguns: this place up because I had one too many :beer:. I kid I kid I realize I was over killing it with the KA's, and a small part of my cheap ass felt bad about it. Felt much better when I got my $250 bucks in store credit though. Thank you CAG for showing me the way. Now on to many more flips![/QUOTE]

What the hell? Thats not the same at all with what Matt was saying. You were just looking for a chance to brag.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Thing is, he's not the worst flipper of KA though. I'm sure there are others out there who did many more copies. That's probably also why Brink tanked now, since it's $10 a copy at BB right now and BBV was giving $17 per for it.

As it stands I may try and blow through the rest of Duke Nukem Forever and dump it at BBV, since BB got smart and dropped the tiv there to $2 per platform.:cry:[/QUOTE]

What did brink drop to?

[quote name='bigdrew3000']Lmao, the same at my BB. I got lucky at one BB I go to all the time, and they took like 10 KA's off my hands. The other 2 gave me shit. One said I could only do 2 and the other said 4. I was nice about it though, but wanted to be like fuck you to the other 2 store, especially the one that would only take 2. Y'all have 38 copies of Bullet Storm and 25 copies of Brink over there. Take my DAMN KA's or i will :twoguns: this place up because I had one too many :beer:. I kid I kid I realize I was over killing it with the KA's, and a small part of my cheap ass felt bad about it. Felt much better when I got my $250 bucks in store credit though. Thank you CAG for showing me the way. Now on to many more flips![/QUOTE]

and biggest douche of the year goes to... :applause:

Look, I hear what you guys are saying. I got lucky and caught the trade in the last day before it ended. I read it last minute on here, and was like no fucking way. Bought like 20 KA's on good faith hoping it worked, and it did. I got off most of them and was happy about it. The one BBV I was able to give 10 to was because one of the employees know's my face, and I have bought numerous games off of them(many of the deals I've heard through here). If I was any other person he probably would have told me no. Not because I'm special or some shit, but he was either helping out or just unaware. Hell the whole time he was trading them in he was telling me about how I can now get Skyrim so I don't think he gave 2 red cents.

The other 2 stores that let me trade in the games were nice about it. If they had told me no than I would have politely left, and not caused a stir. I was only quoting the guy before my initial post because I felt how he did in regards to "they know". I only posted it here because I was happy a flip worked in my way which I never seem to catch in time. Obviously by the newb status you see under my handle I'm not aware how sacred you guys are to talking directly about the flips. I wasn't trying to brag, but more so share a great find with people who would maybe understand. Instead I get blasted. I'll be a bigger man about it and apologize if I inadvertently helped kill the deal. Wasn't my intention. As I said before, strangers I don't know don't particularly bother me, but CAG has yielded me quite the finds in the last month, and for that I'm grateful. I apologize.

[quote name='slppedyoursster']Well, you are on your way to redemption. Thanks for listening to the community. Glad to read of your good fortune since joining CAG.[/QUOTE]

Meant no harm, and appreciate it:)

[quote name='bigdrew3000']Look, I hear what you guys are saying. I got lucky and caught the trade in the last day before it ended. I read it last minute on here, and was like no fucking way. Bought like 20 KA's on good faith hoping it worked, and it did. I got off most of them and was happy about it. The one BBV I was able to give 10 to was because one of the employees know's my face, and I have bought numerous games off of them(many of the deals I've heard through here). If I was any other person he probably would have told me no. Not because I'm special or some shit, but he was either helping out or just unaware. Hell the whole time he was trading them in he was telling me about how I can now get Skyrim so I don't think he gave 2 red cents.

The other 2 stores that let me trade in the games were nice about it. If they had told me no than I would have politely left, and not caused a stir. I was only quoting the guy before my initial post because I felt how he did in regards to "they know". I only posted it here because I was happy a flip worked in my way which I never seem to catch in time. Obviously by the newb status you see under my handle I'm not aware how sacred you guys are to talking directly about the flips. I wasn't trying to brag, but more so share a great find with people who would maybe understand. Instead I get blasted. I'll be a bigger man about it and apologize if I inadvertently helped kill the deal. Wasn't my intention. As I said before, strangers I don't know don't particularly bother me, but CAG has yielded me quite the finds in the last month, and for that I'm grateful. I apologize.[/QUOTE]

it's more of the scale of the flip that you did, was overkill IMO. other people will probably take your side in here 'cause they do those giant flips too, i personally am content with doing smaller flips and not ruining the flip in the process. you're one of those, one and done types. if you want the flips to last next time dont buy a million copies and dump them all on one store, and don't bitch if other stores aren't as accepting of you trying to put them out of business (they're never gonna resell 20 copies of that shit lol)

bread's done
Back