The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hawaiiboy']I updated my post. I guess today is the 16th so the change begins today.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify. Does this mean that you can buy 3 games today for $14.99 and get the $10 gift card for being a pass customer? That is INSANE if true

Great news about the bundle price drop, I HOPE BB finally wises up and includes previewed movies 16.99 and under in the sale eventually...

Ok sorry for so many posts but they keep throwing us so much info. This is for existing pass customers ONLY. You can do the 3 for $14.99 or 5 for $24.99 previewed bundles AND still get a $10 giftcard but you must ask about the added benefit for them to give it to you. It's no longer being advertised or talked about but you have to ask about it. If they say no just ask them to check the comm update where it specifically says this.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Ok sorry for so many posts but they keep throwing us so much info. This is for existing pass customers ONLY. You can do the 3 for $14.99 or 5 for $24.99 previewed bundles AND still get a $10 giftcard but you must ask about the added benefit for them to give it to you. It's no longer being advertised or talked about but you have to ask about it. If they say no just ask them to check the comm update where it specifically says this.[/QUOTE]
Does the comm update state that games also get the $10 GC? I'm looking for ammo when I head back to get the $5 GCs that weren't given to me previously. TIA.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Ok sorry for so many posts but they keep throwing us so much info. This is for existing pass customers ONLY. You can do the 3 for $14.99 or 5 for $24.99 previewed bundles AND still get a $10 giftcard but you must ask about the added benefit for them to give it to you. It's no longer being advertised or talked about but you have to ask about it. If they say no just ask them to check the comm update where it specifically says this.[/QUOTE]

holy carp i think i might just buy everything at $14.99/3 + $10 GC.

1. Existing pass customer is defined as? So i can not go there sign up for pass and enjoy this deal right away? How long shall i wait to become existing customer, one month?
2. Also, no GC given for new blueray bundle 3/24.99 5/50? I really want that. :)

[quote name='Keen314']Does the comm update state that games also get the $10 GC? I'm looking for ammo when I head back to get the $5 GCs that weren't given to me previously. TIA.[/QUOTE]

Me too, My mgr refused to give me 5usd GC for my game purchase.

Does the comm update state that games also get the $10 GC? I'm looking for ammo when I head back to get the $5 GCs that weren't given to me previously. TIA.

A bundle is a mix of any Movies or games

2. Also, no GC given for new blueray bundle 3/24.99 5/50? I really want that. :)

No.

Existing pass customer is defined as? So i can not go there sign up for pass and enjoy this deal right away? How long shall i wait to become existing customer, one month?

Existing pass means you had to already have the pass. You cannot sign up today to take advantage of the deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='
Existing pass means you had to already have the pass. You cannot sign up today to take advantage of the deal.[/QUOTE']

Thnx, and i might pass as I know the mgr would refuse me even if i sign up today and walk in tomorrow.:)

[quote name='smashngrab77']Just to clarify. Does this mean that you can buy 3 games today for $14.99 and get the $10 gift card for being a pass customer? That is INSANE if true[/QUOTE]

No more gift cards.

[quote name='cagcag']1. Existing pass customer is defined as? So i can not go there sign up for pass and enjoy this deal right away? How long shall i wait to become existing customer, one month?
2. Also, no GC given for new blueray bundle 3/24.99 5/50? I really want that. :)[/QUOTE]

Gift cards are done, but I got a GC when I did the 3/24.99 new deal earlier this week.

im probably not going to get this deal ever again but the very kind blockbuster employee yesterday allowed me to use the $5 gift card right there on my present transaction. And I had another $5 gift card so I got 3 games for $10. :)

[quote name='Zygote']im probably not going to get this deal ever again but the very kind blockbuster employee yesterday allowed me to use the $5 gift card right there on my present transaction. And I had another $5 gift card so I got 3 games for $10. :)[/QUOTE]

Is the 3 for $15 deal on games under $15? Sorry, but I haven't been keeping up...

[quote name='RCS0926']Is the 3 for $15 deal on games under $15? Sorry, but I haven't been keeping up...[/QUOTE]

Nevermind. I see that the original bundle deal (3 for $20 or 5 for $30) has been dropped to 3 for $15 for 5 for $25. I'll be checking out one BBV on my way to run some errands. If I find something, I'll take advantage of the deal. If not, then oh well...

[quote name='outkastx']Pre-owned bundles are 3/$15 or 5/$25 and pass members get a $5 GC, so it's equal to the old deal.[/QUOTE]

You get to pick your bundles though, correct? And if so, the items in the bundle have to be under $15, correct?

[quote name='RCS0926']You get to pick your bundles though, correct? And if so, the items in the bundle have to be under $15, correct?[/QUOTE]

Yep

Stopped by my local BBV on my way to the grocery store and ended up picking up 3 games:

Dragon Age 2 - Normally, I don't buy sequels if I haven't played the initial game(s) in the series. However, this is a game I definitely wanted to own at some point, and I've heard that you don't really need to play the original to enjoy the sequel. Plus, I think DA2's more action-oriented gameplay will probably suit me better.

Fallout: New Vegas - I didn't really give FO3 too much of a chance, but I think NV's brighter setting will appeal to me more.

Duke Nukem Forever - Definitely a guilty pleasure game for me. I'm sure it will at least be worth what I paid for it.

Overall, I'm very happy to have paid $5 for each of these games. I'm looking to make one or two more purchases from Gamefly's year-end sale, and I should be pretty much done with game purchases until next holiday season. I'm hoping to get Transformers: War for Cybetron and Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, but I'm sure there will be other games worth getting if these two games aren't on the list.

so let me get this right... they dropped it from 3/20 - 5/30 to 3/15 - 5/25? will I still get a $5 giftcard on top of that or did they just decide to drop the prices $5 in substitute of the giftcards?

still a lot of good games left out there today (except the tons of dukes and brinks)....
Keep in mind Tiger Woods 11 for wii is at a ton of stores and if you take advantage of the extra $10 for 2 games at gamestop trade you could do this for example...

Tiger Woods 11 $12.14
Goldeneye $14.34
WWE Smackdown 2011 $12.14

Spent $16.38 with tax traded back for nearly $50.....cant beat that.....
Or do Harry Potter and Death Hallows part 2 for XBOX 360 to Best buy because it has a base of $11.00, with there 25% bonus that gets $13.75

[quote name='desertsniper']still a lot of good games left out there today (except the tons of dukes and brinks)....
Keep in mind Tiger Woods 11 for wii is at a ton of stores and if you take advantage of the extra $10 for 2 games at gamestop trade you could do this for example...

Tiger Woods 11 $12.14
Goldeneye $14.34

Or do Harry Potter and Death Hallows part 2 for XBOX 360 to Best buy because it has a base of $11.00, with there 25% bonus that gets $13.75[/QUOTE]

With the exception of WWE these games were all gone around here after the first few days of the sale and well before the gift card offer even started.

[quote name='desertsniper']still a lot of good games left out there today (except the tons of dukes and brinks)....

Tiger Woods 11 $12.14
Goldeneye $14.34

Or do Harry Potter and Death Hallows part 2 for XBOX 360 to Best buy because it has a base of $11.00, with there 25% bonus that gets $13.75[/QUOTE]

How did you get to near $50? I mean the games add up to $39.

[quote name='dino88']Read the post again.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the prices posted include the 3/$10 since GS doesn't have TIVs of 14.34 and 12.14.

[quote name='pimpster4183']ok, I'm little confused.. Can I do the 3 for $15 being a non pass member and just not receive the giftcard part?[/QUOTE]

there is no giftcard anymore. It is only 3 for $15 or 5 for $25

I thought this sale was a while back is this deal still active?

So I can pick any 5 games for $25 or is this deal any game under 14.99? Because my bb doesn't have many games under 14.99

Thanks for helpful answer in advance

[quote name='showtimefolks']I thought this sale was a while back is this deal still active?

So I can pick any 5 games for $25 or is this deal any game under 14.99? Because my bb doesn't have many games under 14.99

Thanks for helpful answer in advance[/QUOTE]

Just games under $15. If it was any game, no one would be on CAG right now.

Question about google shopping. Is there a way to pick a store (Blockbuster) and then search for all stock listed in that store?

Searching game to game is tedious.

Thanks!

[quote name='dino88']Just games under $15. If it was any game, no one would be on CAG right now.[/QUOTE]
:applause:Exactly. If it was ANY five games, I'd have gone broke by now cuz I'd have even gone outta town to locate OTHER BBV stores to clear out.:D;)
[quote name='SkankButta']Question about google shopping. Is there a way to pick a store (Blockbuster) and then search for all stock listed in that store?

Searching game to game is tedious.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Half of the fun of getting a deal is the hunt imo. But NO, there is no way to check for all of the stock for a particular store aside from going to said store.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Half of the fun of getting a deal is the hunt imo.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. Half the fun is trying to find a great deal; the only downside is the complete and utter devastation and sense of disillusionment when you can not possibly get in on a particular deal that you thought you could. That feeling makes the successes that much sweeter though. :)

Wow, so I had a ridiculous experience. Warning: Long rant ahead.

Yesterday, I tried buying some games from a Blockbuster and got called out by the manager. She said she recognized me because I tried to trade some Kinect Adventures to 2 stores and managed to trade 2 copies at the 3rd one after being denied from the others. She says if I have another incident again, I'd get banned from Blockbuster. I found it funny because she accused me of trading in demos instead of a full game. I politely said they were full games but she reiterated they had to have barcodes. I didn't feel like arguing so I said okay, got my games and left.

Went back today to trade in de Blob 2 and Red Faction and when I went to trade in the games, the cashier scanned my card and had to call the manager. She said there was a comment on my account but said there were barcodes on the games this time. I totally thought I'd get denied but I surprisingly got them accepted. Went looking around and picked up the last 2 seasons of Lost and 3 more games. I go to buy them and the cashier, different one, said that the 5 for $30 doesn't work for games AND movies in the same transaction. She said that the movies were 5 for $30 and the games were B1G1. She even said no one has ever mixed and matched. I was like WTF?

I pointed out to the HUGE christmas tree display ad in the middle of the store which specifically stated it works on games and movies. She looks at it, complains that the corporate keeps changing the deals, and then says only for $14.99 and under, and said it wouldn't work for Dragon Age 2, which was marked $24.99. I asked if she could just scan it and see if the price dropped. Finally, she tries scanning the stuff. After a couple minutes, I got my games and DVDs and left the store. The whole time this was happening, the cashier who I traded the games in with, who was also there yesterday to witness the manager scolding me, was glaring at me the whole time, most likely thinking I was trying to rip them off. It was also funny that I got a $5 gift card because she didn't know that offer expired.

After all this, I might be done with blockbuster, at least the ones in my hometown. I'll spend the last $6 in credit and $5 gift card I got to get another set of 5 and just trade it into Gamestop. Got way too much of a headache from this ordeal. I also find it odd they didn't give me a copy of the FULL trade in terms for me to sign. They just had me sign a receipt. The blockbuster near my college had me sign a full page document which had all their terms and specifically stated that trade in credit can be put on an account or gift card, even though ALL blockbusters I've been to verbally told me it's in-store credit only. And stupid old me left that page in my dorm room before I came back home.

tl;dr: I get scolded for trading in 2 KA's after being denied at two stores, and then had to face employees who did not know any of their deals.

Also, the TIV for :360: de blob 2 was $15 and :ps3: Red Faction Armaggedon was $19 as of 12-17-11.

Went to checkout the one Blockbuster near, and the sale was completely dead... There was nothing but crappy game like Haze etc. Wasn't going to buy anything, just wanted to see what they had.

Question for Hawaiiboy or anyone in the know, how much is L.A. Noire for both 360 & PS3 trading in for? thanks in advance

[quote name='mr mellow']Question for Hawaiiboy or anyone in the know, how much is L.A. Noire for both 360 & PS3 trading in for? thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Think it was $24.99 at my local one. Could be wrong though.

They do have an RE5 GE for $19.99. Just waiting for it to drop to $14.99

bread's done
Back