The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ackbar7']It is shocking how many people apparently doubted this. Anyone who has followed this thread for any time at all knows that whatever hawaiiboy says should be taken as BBV gospel.[/QUOTE]
Well apparently my local stores didn't take the drop to $14.99 for L.A. Noire as gospel since I have a feeling they STILL have all of the copies for 360/PS3 pulled in my area.:whistle2:# Of course, it didn't help when the tiv was almost the same price as the current used price.;)

[quote name='ackbar7']It is shocking how many people apparently doubted this. Anyone who has followed this thread for any time at all knows that whatever hawaiiboy says should be taken as BBV gospel.[/QUOTE]

Except that all $19.99 games are now included...

Got me way to excited with that one as HB is never wrong.

Oh and HB I don't blame you, just got excited at a small error you made. Everyone does it

[quote name='Jimmienoman']Except that all $19.99 games are now included...

Got me way to excited with that one as HB is never wrong.

Oh and HB I don't blame you, just got excited at a small error you made. Everyone does it[/QUOTE]
All 19.99 games are now included? o.o

On another note, I went there earlier and picked up:
:br: Book of Eli
:360: Homefront
:360: L.A. Noire

Which version of L.A. Noire is superior, 360 or PS3 version?

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']All 19.99 games are now included? o.o

On another note, I went there earlier and picked up:
:br: Book of Eli
:360: Homefront
:360: L.A. Noire

Which version of L.A. Noire is superior, 360 or PS3 version?[/QUOTE]

i am curious too?

No, no... a couple days ago, HB was posting that $19.99 and under MOVIES were included in the "new product BluRay" sale; but it wasn't super clear and so some people wrongfully inferred that $19.99 pre-owned games were part of the sale. That is *NOT* the case.

[quote name='cagcag']i am curious too?[/QUOTE]

Well, the Rockstar Pass is on sale for 360, but the PS3 is the better version. Graphically its better and its 1 disc instead of 3 on Xbox. But if you wanted the cheapest "Complete Edition" get the 360.

OK. I guess I can't really be mad this late in the sale, but apparently some fucker came into my closest BBV this weekend and bought 50 games according to the manager on duty there tonight.

Of course, since I cleaned out anything halfway decent already, that means they most likely got a stack of :ps3:Homefront, some copies of Duke Nukem Forever and Brink and any of the other crap I left behind.

And they're STILL telling me there's 'something wrong' with the L.A. Noire price drop but won't frickin' clarify WHAT.:bomb: Oh well. Hopefully this sale lasts another couple weeks(months) at least so more shit will drop.;)

Got some LA Noires at $14.99 in the gift sets today. Not a great trade value though I think its $4 base at best buy and $5 base at gamestop. Not great.

Also a message to HB the only blockbuster guy who seems to know how to operate a store. 1 store I go to has Just Dance Summer Party as well as Pokepark still at $19.99. I got them to do the price drop and LA NOIRE and Homefront are now $14.99 however these didnt change. After I spoke to the store manager he told me that those were games that were included in a price drop when there erver "crashed" and they were never able to get that list sent to them so they could never accept it. He said there is no way to fix them until they drop again to like $9.99. I told him to call another blockbuster if he didnt believe me, but he said there is nothing he can do.

What should I DO??? These are suppose to be $14.99...should I call corporate???

[quote name='rey6eric']Seriously after reading his post that's all you got out of it? Your post doesn't help this guy or the thread in any way so why even post?

To possibly help the previous poster out, you could check another location or go back when that employee isn't there.[/QUOTE]

He's correctly his own post when he should be using the edit feature.

I am severely out of the loop on these sells, are there any good flips currently to blockbuster? Went back 15 pages and looked. I saw that the TIV's for la noire and homefront were good flips within BBV but would be nice to use some gamestop credit to do those with.

Does anyone know if the BB in Gonzales, LA is still open? It's listed on the website but when I called, no one answered. Also, the BB in front of the Target on Millerville in Baton Rouge is closing.

[quote name='ralph10']Long shot, but... did the TIV for L.A Noire and Homefront hold?[/QUOTE]
telephone.jpg

most BB games, cases, manual, artwork are so messed up its hard to flip them. Bestbuy dont care but their TIVs tanked. Actually I wont mind buying some brand new 3 disc xbox cases for LAN if I can find them around $1 shipped/each

Sorry to ask again, I cant seem to fin d an answer...but do BBV's take gift cards if they are going through their liquidation sale? I know you cant do trade ins and use that credit and all, but gift cards are BBV cash basically. Im hoping you can use them!

[quote name='dorkyden']most BB games, cases, manual, artwork are so messed up its hard to flip them. Bestbuy dont care but their TIVs tanked. Actually I wont mind buying some brand new 3 disc xbox cases for LAN if I can find them around $1 shipped/each[/QUOTE]

I've always gotten mint condition cases, including manual and cover art and occasionally codes included. I typically don't have a problem getting them. They sometimes have one a few in a blank case, but that's usually something older like Guitar Hero 2, or Kameo or something. Not any of these newer sales.

iv got 2 broken 360 cases, ugh. so ill try again and flip them back to bbv again and try to pick up some more with better cases. thanx alot hawaiiboy

Hopefully the TIV's on LA Noire and Homefront hold till tomorrow. Also, decent flip to gamestop, Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions for 360, trades in for 9.

[quote name='dorkyden']most BB games, cases, manual, artwork are so messed up its hard to flip them. Bestbuy dont care but their TIVs tanked. Actually I wont mind buying some brand new 3 disc xbox cases for LAN if I can find them around $1 shipped/each[/QUOTE]
I usually nitpick which cases I'm picking up BEFORE I buy the game to make sure that I'm getting a good condition one before I even go up to the register.

As for $1 shipped for game cases, good luck with that, especially with a 2-3 disc case. First class mail is around $2-3 something and then you have delivery confirmation and a possible mailer cost if the person you're buying from doesn't have one(or ninety) laying around.

An average game case with case/artwork and manual is around 6-7oz most times and the mailer adds in just enough on ONE game case that it barely squeaks by on the 13 oz rule for first class mail. So multiply that by 3-4 cases and you'd be better off having them shipped Priority Mail flat rate envelope, which can squeeze about 3-4 in with no problems.;)

Had a good experience today at BBV. I checked google yesterday & it showed both my usual stores (literally about 5 blocks from each other) had all 3 games I wanted. So I stopped by the closer 1 & could only find Homefront on the shelf. So I went up & asked the dude & he said he had Duke Nukem, but not LA Noire. He then checked the inventory of the other store & said they were out, too. So out of nowhere, he asks me if I want him to convert a rental copy to used. Of course I said yes.

Only bad thing is all 5 discs (3 for LAN) are scratched to hell. Anyway I can make sure discs 2 & 3 of LA Noire work?

noticed some price drops yesterday:

LA Noire PS3 & 360 - $14.99
Homefront 360 - $14.99

still had the buy 3 for $15 signs out.

[quote name='HakurenKyo06']HB did the TIV's hold for LA Noire and Homefront? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

The TIVs for Blockbuster? As in trading them back to Blockbuster? o.o

[quote name='Gertle627']Had a good experience today at BBV. I checked google yesterday & it showed both my usual stores (literally about 5 blocks from each other) had all 3 games I wanted. So I stopped by the closer 1 & could only find Homefront on the shelf. So I went up & asked the dude & he said he had Duke Nukem, but not LA Noire. He then checked the inventory of the other store & said they were out, too. So out of nowhere, he asks me if I want him to convert a rental copy to used. Of course I said yes.

Only bad thing is all 5 discs (3 for LAN) are scratched to hell. Anyway I can make sure discs 2 & 3 of LA Noire work?[/QUOTE]

If you have a 360 with a hard drive you could try to install each disc.

[quote name='ralph10']I just called and TIV's for L.A. Noire and Homefront held.[/QUOTE]

What exactly are the TIV's for each of them? I couldn't find them.

[quote name='whatup5']What exactly are the TIV's for each of them? I couldn't find them.[/QUOTE]
12 bucks each. I'm about to head there now, trade both games in and rebuy them with the credit.
Will I have to peal off the stickers to trade the games in or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whatup5']What exactly are the TIV's for each of them? I couldn't find them.[/QUOTE]
you should call BBV. or use the search function.

[quote name='joeyshadows']I wonder if all the 16.99 Blus from 3 weeks ago finally went 14.99. :|[/QUOTE]
This Anyone got any idea if any of the blu rays dropped?

Blockbuster has enough trouble and there sales have been great; no sense in kicking them when they are down and trading in a bunch of $5 L.A. Noire's and then buying them back.

Cold.

If this were Best Buy, however ... CHARGE!

[quote name='ploppsdman']Blockbuster has enough trouble and there sales have been great; no sense in kicking them when they are down and trading in a bunch of $5 L.A. Noire's and then buying them back.

Cold.

If this were Best Buy, however ... CHARGE![/QUOTE]
Actually that WAS my idea up till a few days ago when someone did the same thing I did at the beginning of this sale and cleaned out the copies of both Homefront AND L.A. Noire. I planned on trading in one of each back to another of the BBV stores that aren't closing in my area and grab Deus Ex with some of that credit.;)

Oh and for CAG's in the Syracuse(NY) area, the Cicero store is 'moving'(to www.blockbuster.com:roll:). I found it hilarious when I saw the signs in the windows, since none of them look like the usual store closing sale signs. Yet once you looked in the windows you saw the piddily 10% off signs.:roll:

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']12 bucks each. I'm about to head there now, trade both games in and rebuy them with the credit.
Will I have to peal off the stickers to trade the games in or what?[/QUOTE]
Are you serious?

"Pro" flipper tip #2080: Always remove the price stickers especially when flipping back to the same store.

"Pro" flipper tip #2081: To save time (and frustration) when trading in to stores like Best Buy that don't require a case, artwork, etc. Trade in disc only and keep the cases. Remove the stickers from the empty cases. On your next flip swap the artwork, manual and game in to the "fresh" case. Wash, rinse and repeat.

[quote name='klimb22']
"Pro" flipper tip #2081: To save time (and frustration) when trading in to stores like Best Buy that don't require a case, artwork, etc. Trade in disc only and keep the cases. Remove the stickers from the empty cases. On your next flip swap the artwork, manual and game in to the "fresh" case. Wash, rinse and repeat.[/QUOTE]
I'd add an addendum to Pro Tip #2081:

Sell the cases/artworks/manuals online to people who buy games from GS/BB with no original case/artwork/manual for $1-2 or so for each part. :D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'd add an addendum to Pro Tip #2081:

Sell the cases/artworks/manuals online to people who buy games from GS/BB with no original case/artwork/manual for $1-2 or so for each part. :D[/QUOTE]
That's actually #2082. :lol:

[quote name='gorilladust']If you have a 360 with a hard drive you could try to install each disc.[/QUOTE]
I had not thought of that. Thank you!

"Pro" flipper tip #2083: Use crumpled up pages from certain magazines (gameinformer, @gamer, etc.) as packaging material when mailing out games in boxes or unpadded envelopes.

[quote name='whatup5']"Pro" flipper tip #2083: Use crumpled up pages from certain magazines (gameinformer, @gamer, etc.) as packaging material when mailing out games in boxes or unpadded envelopes.[/QUOTE]
Nah. I use newspaper when I need packing material, though I don't really ship out many games anymore since Best Buy started their in-store program.:D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Nah. I use newspaper when I need packing material, though I don't really ship out many games anymore since Best Buy started their in-store program.:D[/QUOTE]

Agreed, most cities have stands for free newspapers (music reviews/gay-lesbian issues/scene stuff) that I grab handfuls of for packing. :)

bread's done
Back