The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='therealdanhill']Just got back from BBV, I was told all trade-ins are suspended. What's the deal?[/QUOTE]

My Blockbuster stores tried telling me the same thing until I contacted the district manager about it. That solved the problem rather quickly.

[quote name='Rozz']My Blockbuster stores tried telling me the same thing until I contacted the district manager about it. That solved the problem rather quickly.[/QUOTE]
How do you contact a DM? I don't get why they would not do trade-ins, how are they going to get used games to sell? How are they going to gouge me out of a reasonable price for barely used items?

I was checking Google Shopping for more 3 for $15 games and one particular store appeared to have a bunch of stuff in stock. Then I get there and they are going out of business and not honoring the sale. I guess that's another way to tell if a store is closing....

I did find a bunch of PS3 cases for $.25 a piece.

[quote name='therealdanhill']How do you contact a DM? I don't get why they would not do trade-ins, how are they going to get used games to sell? How are they going to gouge me out of a reasonable price for barely used items?[/QUOTE]

they could always just pull rentals. :)

But yah odd they won't let you trade

Just got back from BBV, I was told all trade-ins are suspended. What's the deal?

Could be a closing store? Some stores just got word in the last day or 2 that they will closing.

Hmm going thru some TIV's I noticed we are not taking anymore of the popular titles that have been traded recently. Homefront, Warhammer, LAN on x360 so if you were trading any of those maybe that's why they think trading has been suspended because we have not had any official corporate notice that trades are suspended.

sorry, no price drops this week. the rental conversions were non existent either as we only transferred :360: transformers dark of the moon

Pretty happy with the haul considering how late I am due to not living close to a bb. Ended up with dead space 2, just dance 2 summer party, la noire, n-n nights 2, and dragon age 2. Frisco, TX.

No price drops is kind of a bummer but there's still hope since the sale's been extended.

Also, lol @ the newbies talking about the deal being dead & the sale starting on a Monday.

[quote name='Gertle627']No price drops is kind of a bummer but there's still hope since the sale's been extended.

Also, lol @ the newbies talking about the deal being dead & the sale starting on a Monday.[/QUOTE]

yah, its sad. Slappybob has been here since 2007 and he thought the deal was dead.

06705865_disapoint_gif.gif

[quote name='yukonrye']I was checking Google Shopping for more 3 for $15 games and one particular store appeared to have a bunch of stuff in stock. Then I get there and they are going out of business and not honoring the sale. I guess that's another way to tell if a store is closing....

I did find a bunch of PS3 cases for $.25 a piece.[/QUOTE]
You got robbed then. I only paid $.10 each for mine at Hollywood Video when they were closing. I figured I could sell em off on here or elsewhere for $1 each easily. WRONG.:roll:

At most I've sold a few here or there with large gaps in between.:whistle2:#

That reminds me I gotta get back to the one CAG buying 4 complete case/artwork/manual sets from me.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You got robbed then. I only paid $.10 each for mine at Hollywood Video when they were closing. I figured I could sell em off on here or elsewhere for $1 each easily. WRONG.:roll:

At most I've sold a few here or there with large gaps in between.:whistle2:#

That reminds me I gotta get back to the one CAG buying 4 complete case/artwork/manual sets from me.:cry:[/QUOTE]

i got a bunch f wii and 360 cases when mine closed. ps3 cases must have went fast because there werent any when when I bought the cases. Of course they can double as bluray cases so makes sense they would go first.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']i got a bunch f wii and 360 cases when mine closed. ps3 cases must have went fast because there werent any when when I bought the cases. Of course they can double as bluray cases so makes sense they would go first.[/QUOTE]
I was calling and stopping into my two local HWV stores every day or every other day till they finally told me they'd start selling them when I went in the one night.

Unfortunately by the time I got there that day to see they had put up the sign with the price for them someone had bought some of the other cases I was looking at for then more recent releases(God Of War III in particular). Although I did still get about 3-5 Heavy Rain cases and a ton of other better ones, though every last 360 case had a 'Game Vault' sticker on them that leaves a really annoying residue on it when you try to peel them off. So I just left those on there.

About a year after I bought them I got a big ass metal rolling rack for free from the one family down the line that they had had sitting in their yard for years. So I was finally able to get them out of the paper Gamecrazy bags I had them stuffed in for a while and display them properly.:D Sickest part of getting that rack was the fact that a new one of those would set ya back $500.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
About a year after I bought them I got a big ass metal rolling rack for free from the one family down the line that they had had sitting in their yard for years. So I was finally able to get them out of the paper Gamecrazy bags I had them stuffed in for a while and display them properly.:D Sickest part of getting that rack was the fact that a new one of those would set ya back $500.;)[/QUOTE]

Do I even want to see your collection? I mean, is it so large and extravagant that envy would flow out of every orifice?

Back on topic, I don't know how common some of the framed art is per store but I saw a Gears of War hologram picture (all of the main and secondary characters posing with weapons on top of a debris pile). Pretty sweet and I am not even a fan of Gears. The retail was $20 but this Monday, 75% starts so for $5, you could get an awesome picture. Just a heads up for the fans of GOW.

[quote name='slppedyoursster']Do I even want to see your collection? I mean, is it so large and extravagant that envy would flow out of every orifice?

Back on topic, I don't know how common some of the framed art is per store but I saw a Gears of War hologram picture (all of the main and secondary characters posing with weapons on top of a debris pile). Pretty sweet and I am not even a fan of Gears. The retail was $20 but this Monday, 75% starts so for $5, you could get an awesome picture. Just a heads up for the fans of GOW.[/QUOTE]
If by collection, you mean the 500+ empty game cases I still have to go through from my HWV haul, then yes it is a very large collection.:booty:

As for the framed art, I haven't seen any I would really want at 75%, but if they go to 90% off like the last time in a week or two I might just bite.:D

[quote name='slppedyoursster']Do I even want to see your collection? I mean, is it so large and extravagant that envy would flow out of every orifice?
[/QUOTE]

I think IATCG posted a small part of his guide collection; it was massive.

He was banned from gamestop for selling hdmi cables from ebay.
He buys .10 games cases to sell them for a dollar.
He built a chair out of penny guides.
He got a $500 dvd rack for free.
His opinions are so opinionated he encourages others to ignore him, only for them to find they can't.

He is the cheapest gamer in the world.
:)

I find it funny they are selling the wrap around booths for 400 locally. What happens if they sell the booth early, just put up the computer on some chairs? Who would want a big blue and yellow booth other than someone building a bbv in their own home? If the price dropped to 40 bucks I would buy it for giggles.

[quote name='Wrong']

:)[/QUOTE]

*Slowly stands* Clap. Clap. Clap. *Joined by entire CAG Community* Roaring cheers & applause.

[quote name='Wrong']I think IATCG posted a small part of his guide collection; it was massive.

He was banned from gamestop for selling hdmi cables from ebay.
He buys .10 games cases to sell them for a dollar.
He built a chair out of penny guides.
He got a $500 dvd rack for free.
His opinions are so opinionated he encourages others to ignore him, only for them to find they can't.

:)[/QUOTE]
:lol::applause:That's mostly correct. Except that I didn't make a chair out of penny guides.

Moreover, I sold a good chunk of them en masse to a reseller/store owner locally about 2 or 3 years back. Originally I was selling him a handful or so at a time but that got to be tedious and time consuming, so I just asked if they would take all I had in one shot.

They paid me $.25 each and I sold them around 500-600 guides altogether.

As for people not being able to ignore me, I'll double check the link on my sig and make sure it works.:razz: Either that or I'll revise my sig to tell people how to ignore me.

EDIT: The link still works for me(comes up to a page that says 'we can't help you ignore yourself':lol:).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was calling and stopping into my two local HWV stores every day or every other day till they finally told me they'd start selling them when I went in the one night.

Unfortunately by the time I got there that day to see they had put up the sign with the price for them someone had bought some of the other cases I was looking at for then more recent releases(God Of War III in particular). Although I did still get about 3-5 Heavy Rain cases and a ton of other better ones, though every last 360 case had a 'Game Vault' sticker on them that leaves a really annoying residue on it when you try to peel them off. So I just left those on there.

About a year after I bought them I got a big ass metal rolling rack for free from the one family down the line that they had had sitting in their yard for years. So I was finally able to get them out of the paper Gamecrazy bags I had them stuffed in for a while and display them properly.:D Sickest part of getting that rack was the fact that a new one of those would set ya back $500.;)[/QUOTE]

u display empty game cases? Lol.

[quote name='TheHelix']So two closing BBVs aren't closing at all...they're "moving". Way to sugarcoat it Blockbuster.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, mine said that too (moving to blockbuster.com that is). Today I drove by and they had a MASSIVE banner saying they are moving (before it was just one small sign). I want to slap whoever decided they should run with that "promo". This is especially true after they couldn't even give me the free month of Blockbuster online to make up for the cancellation of my combo pass (due to me having signed up online when I activated my pass as instructed - that negated me as a "new" customer and the promo wouldn't work).

I finally gave in to the Combo Pass last month and was going to keep it going precisely because I liked the idea of getting different stuff in store at the drop of a hat as my Blockuster is/was only 1/2 mile away. Now the closest one will be 8-10 miles and it is a store I don't like all that much.

So now I figured I'd have to deal with them charging me automatically for my pass renewal here in a few days even though the store is closing. But at least my online account seems to indicate that it is over:

SUBSCRIPTION PLAN
BLOCKBUSTER By Mail $0.00 / month (plus taxes)
1 at-a-time, 1/mo.
Next Billing Date:N/A

I'll still be monitoring my credit card of course. Oh wait, never mind... That's just the free 1 per month mail rental that they give you with the combo pass subscription. Hey, I wonder if I can still request something by mail? I never actually did it before.

[quote name='killercane']I find it funny they are selling the wrap around booths for 400 locally. What happens if they sell the booth early, just put up the computer on some chairs? Who would want a big blue and yellow booth other than someone building a bbv in their own home? If the price dropped to 40 bucks I would buy it for giggles.[/QUOTE]

Probably people who want to paint it and maybe use it for a basememt bar or something.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']u display empty game cases? Lol.[/QUOTE]
It's not that I actually even display them insomuch as just get em up off the floor and outta my way by putting them on that game shelf. The other option was, as I said, keeping them in the Gamecrazy branded bags I bought them in.

That was both tedious and time consuming to have to dig through the bags(3-4 layers in each bag) when I needed to find cases to ship out to folks.

But unlike some on here I don't display my game collection, so I could care less where my actual games I intend to play are stacked/stored.:booty:

Apparently Google Shopping is no longer anywhere near accurate for being able to check stock at Blockbuster.:bomb: I also kinda wish we had a verified list of which stores are closing, since I certainly wouldn't have wasted 15 minutes driving to the Cicero(NY) BBV store last week if I knew they were 'moving'.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Apparently Google Shopping is no longer anywhere near accurate for being able to check stock at Blockbuster.:bomb: I also kinda wish we had a verified list of which stores are closing, since I certainly wouldn't have wasted 15 minutes driving to the Cicero(NY) BBV store last week if I knew they were 'moving'.[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you have called first?

On another note, all BBV in Cincinnati are not allowing trade ins of LA Noire, nor do they have any to sell.

[quote name='adamgould']Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you have called first?

On another note, all BBV in Cincinnati are not allowing trade ins of LA Noire, nor do they have any to sell.[/QUOTE]
I'm the only 30 something gamer/person in the world w/o a cell phone. Plus I was in the area for work, so I figured I'd just stop in.

Hopefully when I go up that same way this Tuesday for work I can hit up one of the other 2-3 BBV stores in the area and grab a couple $14.99 games, since both of my close stores are wiped out of anything halfway decent still.:whistle2:#

As for the trade block on L.A. Noire, that's because they were giving $12 a copy for it and selling it as part of the 3/$15 5/$25 dealie. So basically each copy traded back in was costing them $7 a pop.

Chances are just like the Kinect Adventures and other recent detrimental flips some folks did a shitton of trading the copies right back in after buying them earlier in the day.

Yea a few stores told me they couldnt accept LA NOIRE. Hunted last a checked still holds at $17 and $19 for the PS3 version. I was able to hit 1 blockbuster that had a lot of game mis priced so I scored some Just Dance Summer Party and Epic Mickeys.

Also anyone that has there blockbuster with rental copies of dragon ball budokai 2 for wii. It traded at $20.80 with the bonus 50% gamestop was doing and a base of $13.00 If you rent the game it is $.99 and then $6.99 to buy.

Now just waiting for blockbuster to go nuts and do $19.99 or less. cmon blockbuster....just do it!!!!

For the framed art, how much does that stuff normally run? I remember seeing some pretty cool ones a few years back, but don't remember prices at all.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm the only 30 something gamer/person in the world w/o a cell phone. Plus I was in the area for work, so I figured I'd just stop in.

Hopefully when I go up that same way this Tuesday for work I can hit up one of the other 2-3 BBV stores in the area and grab a couple $14.99 games, since both of my close stores are wiped out of anything halfway decent still.:whistle2:#

As for the trade block on L.A. Noire, that's because they were giving $12 a copy for it and selling it as part of the 3/$15 5/$25 dealie. So basically each copy traded back in was costing them $7 a pop.

Chances are just like the Kinect Adventures and other recent detrimental flips some folks did a shitton of trading the copies right back in after buying them earlier in the day.[/QUOTE]

A cag without a smart phone ? ! Dude its a must have tool to have on you. I can't thank myself enough for getting one as it has helped me save a shit load of money lol. As for la noire I have never seen it avalible at my bbv to buy used, its kind of surprising to me

[quote name='strait edge follower']A cag without a smart phone ? ! Dude its a must have tool to have on you. I can't thank myself enough for getting one as it has helped me save a shit load of money lol.[/QUOTE]

But then you are also spending upwards of $1500 on a smart phone over 2 years. Not sure if you'll save more than that on games. Of course this is only assuming the phone is used for game hunts/TIVs since IATCG doesn't seem to need regular phone service.

[quote name='Gertle627']For the framed art, how much does that stuff normally run? I remember seeing some pretty cool ones a few years back, but don't remember prices at all.[/QUOTE]

Usually $15 to $30 depending on the size.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']But then you are also spending upwards of $1500 on a smart phone over 2 years. Not sure if you'll save more than that on games. Of course this is only assuming the phone is used for game hunts/TIVs since IATCG doesn't seem to need regular phone service.[/QUOTE]
With how little I actually deal hunt anymore(most of the stores here are wastelands of MSRP or MSRP dropped games anymore:roll: Not one good clearance title to be found) it would be a huge waste for me.

The only time it would come in handy would be when I go outta town for work and wanna find some guides that dropped at BB/GS and that's few and far between since my boss doesn't always lemme go take a trek while they're at the auctions.:cry:

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Usually $15 to $30 depending on the size.[/QUOTE]

That's what she said...

I'm sorry, but sleep deprivation is getting the better of me... Just got done with a week of thirds and am fighting the urge to pass out. I'll sign off now. :D

OK. I just Googled to see if there were any stories about the Syracuse(NY) Blockbusters and apparently ALL of the Syracuse area ones are closed or closing. :bomb: The only one remaining open is in Oneida, NY, which is like 30 miles to the east from Syracuse proper. Not gonna take a trek that far just to see if there's anything decent left there.

Shame really, since I hit the Teall/Grant St. one in summer for the 90% off clearance and scored pretty well at the other two as well.:cry: Oh well.

[quote name='mvp828']Just got done with a week of thirds and am fighting the urge to pass out. I'll sign off now. :D[/QUOTE]

That's pretty funny if you're talking about games because I've had a similar Christmas break. in the past couple weeks I've completed modern warfare 3 (campaign), uncharted 3, gears of war 3, and saints row 3. I also played arkham city but that one doesn't have a "3" on it.

On topic. I'll have to check my non closing stores for framed art and la noire.

[quote name='xewndar1']just found out my Blockbuster is selling used Deus Ex Human Revolution for 19.99! Sweet deal if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

All of them are ;p But yeah, it's definitely worth that.

So, I heard it from a little birdie today that the north Blue Springs, MO store is closing here real soon. I don't even think the employees know yet, so keep it on the downlow; but my source is pretty dependable. Shit sucks. At least I'll still have one more close one, but man, having two within a few minutes of me sure was convenient! Sad to see it go. I've been shopping there for 15 years.

Picked up one of the Atari framed arts for $3 and some change today. A little scratched at the bottom though... on one hand it makes it look older, on the other it is scratched. anyone else get one of these have any idea what type of paint that is? Looks possibly acrylic but I'm not sure. If I can find something that wouldn't be super obvious I would probably fix it...

[quote name='mattcube64']All of them are ;p But yeah, it's definitely worth that.

So, I heard it from a little birdie today that the north Blue Springs, MO store is closing here real soon. I don't even think the employees know yet, so keep it on the downlow; but my source is pretty dependable. Shit sucks. At least I'll still have one more close one, but man, having two within a few minutes of me sure was convenient! Sad to see it go. I've been shopping there for 15 years.[/QUOTE]
Ditto for Lee's Summit.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']But then you are also spending upwards of $1500 on a smart phone over 2 years. Not sure if you'll save more than that on games. Of course this is only assuming the phone is used for game hunts/TIVs since IATCG doesn't seem to need regular phone service.[/QUOTE]Boost Mobile: $150 a phone (Samsung Galaxy Prevail)/ $50 a month for unlimited talk/text/web 3G. Every six months bill goes down $5 until it hits $35 (this has changed to $55 down to $40 now). No contract and uses the Sprint network. So it's actually $1160. With verizon I usually paid $50 to $100 to upgrade to a decent phone every two years and paid $50 a month with a corporate discount so not much difference than what I already paid.

[quote name='mattcube64']All of them are ;p But yeah, it's definitely worth that.

So, I heard it from a little birdie today that the north Blue Springs, MO store is closing here real soon. I don't even think the employees know yet, so keep it on the downlow; but my source is pretty dependable. Shit sucks. At least I'll still have one more close one, but man, having two within a few minutes of me sure was convenient! Sad to see it go. I've been shopping there for 15 years.[/QUOTE]

Hmm.. When did you hear this? I heard of 4 stores closing. The last one in lee's summit, the one in independence across from the Salv. Army and then two in Kansas.

bread's done
Back