The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MootPoon817']Wait..so if I get any 3 games 14.99 and under, I will get them all for 14.99+ tax?[/QUOTE]

Yes. And if you get five under $14.99 you will pay $24.99+Tax.

[quote name='schuerm26']Hmm.. When did you hear this? I heard of 4 stores closing. The last one in lee's summit, the one in independence across from the Salv. Army and then two in Kansas.[/QUOTE]

Do you know which two? I think there's only maybe 4 or 5 left Kansas side of the state line.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Boost Mobile: $150 a phone (Samsung Galaxy Prevail)/ $50 a month for unlimited talk/text/web 3G. Every six months bill goes down $5 until it hits $35 (this has changed to $55 down to $40 now). No contract and uses the Sprint network. So it's actually $1160. With verizon I usually paid $50 to $100 to upgrade to a decent phone every two years and paid $50 a month with a corporate discount so not much difference than what I already paid.[/QUOTE]

http://republicwireless.com/how

If you're able to get it in your area after beta

So what are the chances of a local Blocbuster that actually hasn't closed down having anything decent? I'm guessing slim to none, but ma, I could definately see myself getting 5 games from the list in the OP for 25 bucks...

Just got an email from Blockbuster. If you are a Combo Pass member, the deal of the week is a $5 gift card for every 5 pack/$25 purchased. It said it was good for previewed and new bundles. It runs from today until the 16th of January.

I think I just got the same email, but it did not actually specify the price of the 5 pack bundles, only "buy a new or used 5 pack bundle." Made me wonder if the price finally went back up.

[quote name='schuerm26']Hmm.. When did you hear this? I heard of 4 stores closing. The last one in lee's summit, the one in independence across from the Salv. Army and then two in Kansas.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to get anyone in trouble; but it came from the manager of one of the stores. This particular manager hasn't ever bullshitted me in the past, and is always pretty helpful with checking price errors and alerting me of sales. I can't say I've seen anything official; but I trust the info. Take that for what it is ;)

I happened to pass a Blockbuster in Kemah,TX today and stopped in. Picked up Bioshock 2, EA MMA, and LA Noire all for PS3. Get in the car and check the disks, and find out that Bioshock was a 360 copy. She couldn't find the PS3 version, so I had to settle for Brink. How bad is that game?

My brother found a couple games I havent seen however both didnt have a manual.

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

If anyone want to Paypal for these, let me know.

[quote name='BFBB Delicious']So what are the chances of a local Blocbuster that actually hasn't closed down having anything decent? I'm guessing slim to none, but ma, I could definately see myself getting 5 games from the list in the OP for 25 bucks...[/QUOTE]

At this point its slim...the sale has been going on for like 6 weeks.

I found one of those framed blu atari logos and got it for $3.80 after tax.

[quote name='handsomepete']Do you know which two? I think there's only maybe 4 or 5 left Kansas side of the state line.[/QUOTE]

The one on 87th is and I think the one on 119th.

The one on 87th street is kind of halfway between 435 and 35. 119th is somewhat by the half price books. I know the 87th street is definitely closing and the 119th had that moving sign which people say actually says moving online. I didn't read what it said closely.

The stores in Kansas I think that are left are the one on State and Johnson Drive off Metcalf/635.

Edit: Now that I look at the store locator, it was the 135th street and 87th and Pflumm that were closing. Not sure about the 119th and Black Bob that I saw that had the moving sign.

[quote name='AllFrankedUp']I happened to pass a Blockbuster in Kemah,TX today and stopped in. Picked up Bioshock 2, EA MMA, and LA Noire all for PS3. Get in the car and check the disks, and find out that Bioshock was a 360 copy. She couldn't find the PS3 version, so I had to settle for Brink. How bad is that game?[/QUOTE]

Brink is so bad that it will drop your sperm count if you play it. Worst hd game of 2011

[quote name='AllFrankedUp']Well shit. It was a choice between Brink, MLB 10:The Show, and TNA Impact.[/QUOTE]

I share the sentiments of the above posters... ...

and out of those? Brink.

lol

[quote name='AllFrankedUp']Well shit. It was a choice between Brink, MLB 10:The Show, and TNA Impact.[/QUOTE]No blu rays or DVDs tickled your fancy?

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']I hope there will be a drop for Warhammer and Deus Ex before the sale is over. There are a bajilliion copies of each at my local BBV.[/QUOTE]
Me too. Although since I bought Warhammer from BB at the end of last month for $10 I'd rather if some of the $24.99 titles dropped to $14.99. Wishful thinking, I know, but it could happen(and I hope it does).

Otherwise maybe I'll have to hit up the Syracuse NY area ones next week during their second to last week in business(according to all of the reports I've read they're closing the 19th of this month) and hope like hell they will still honor the BBV gc's.:lol:

Don't get me wrong. I'll be the first to admit I stripped my closest stores clean of anything halfway decent within the first day of the sale, but either there's a lot of really bored people who never considered BBV before who just happened to check these stores or I've got competition in the El Hoardo department.:cry: It can't just be sheer coincidence that 4-8 copies of Homefront and 6-8 copies of L.A. Noire among other $14.99 games just happened to get bought up within a week of the last drop.

If anything, I'd hope it's the one flea market seller here and not the prickface that has 3 game shops in this region cuz he's gone from a personable shop owner to a total fuckin' douchnozzle in the last 3-4 years.:roll:

He always said he would 'beat Gamestop's values', yet I swear he's trained his shop employees to offer a maximum of $5-6 for ANY game brought in anymore.

Just talked to my bro again in Virginia. Hit up another Blockbuster. Found some more gems.

Kirbys Epic Yarn
Metal Gear Solid 4 X2 (one GH, one black label)
Tiger Woods 11
Mafia II
Dead Space 1
DNF

He got one other but I cant remember. The 2 MGS4 were pretty sweet. Might grab one from him.

I'm tempted to buy a Mafia II from BB with their B2G2 this week, since the copies I've seen there are the greatest hits versions which have extra missions on them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Me too. Although since I bought Warhammer from BB at the end of last month for $10 I'd rather if some of the $24.99 titles dropped to $14.99. Wishful thinking, I know, but it could happen(and I hope it does).

Otherwise maybe I'll have to hit up the Syracuse NY area ones next week during their second to last week in business(according to all of the reports I've read they're closing the 19th of this month) and hope like hell they will still honor the BBV gc's.:lol:

.[/QUOTE]

Just to let you know, I'm pretty sure I saw a post on here from someone in the Syracuse area, saying that all the blockbusters were gone from that area. Maybe it was Rochester though. Just letting you know what I think I saw.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Otherwise maybe I'll have to hit up the Syracuse NY area ones next week during their second to last week in business(according to all of the reports I've read they're closing the 19th of this month) and hope like hell they will still honor the BBV gc's.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Depends on how old the gcs are. If they're from before the middle of last year, they're no good. "New" Blockbuster (aka Dish Network) won't honor old Blockbuster giftcards, except to exchange them for 5 free movie rentals (regardless of how much is on the card... or if it's even activated, since they have no way to check either.)

[quote name='schuerm26']Just to let you know, I'm pretty sure I saw a post on here from someone in the Syracuse area, saying that all the blockbusters were gone from that area. Maybe it was Rochester though. Just letting you know what I think I saw.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I Googled the Syracuse area ones a couple of days ago and found out that one was already closed(Teall Ave.) and the other two(Cicero, Seneca Turnpike) were due to close the 19th of this month.
[quote name='TheAnomaly']Depends on how old the gcs are. If they're from before the middle of last year, they're no good. "New" Blockbuster (aka Dish Network) won't honor old Blockbuster giftcards, except to exchange them for 5 free movie rentals (regardless of how much is on the card... or if it's even activated, since they have no way to check either.)[/QUOTE]
This gc was from a few recent trades(L.A. Noire, Dungeon Siege III) that I had them put the store credit on a gc for me.;)

I have only checked 2 locations recently, 86th St. in Nora (Indianapolis) and the Avon store, but they are both going out of business. The Avon store is the last Blockbuster on the west side of Indy. I imagine if I check the remaining stores on 56th St., Keystone, Noblesville, all or most of those are going out of business as well. There may be one on the east side still as well. Sad days...Blockbuster was always good for clearance deals and Buy 1 Get 1 Free...been getting deals at the Indy stores since I moved here 13 years ago.

Hey Rictor, I live in the Noblesville area, only stores left are 1 in noblesville and 1 in westfield, the one on brooks school road in fishers is closing and were supposed to send there games to both those stores but i haven't seen them yet so they might still be there, noblesville and westfield didn't have much to start with, they had some random stuff and a few homefront, l.a. noire, duke nukem forever though at noblesville, nice to meet a local cag!

Was just informed by one of the guys at the BBV that I frequent that they will be starting their closing sale on Jan. 30th.

Kind of disappointing, seeing as I have really gotten to know all of the people there and they have become really great to get to know. It's kind of unfortunate as I know two of the guys for sure are married and have a couple of kids, so they are put in a tough spot.

There will also be 4 other stores closing in the area.

The list of stores closing (and already closed within the past year or so) here in the Grand Rapids/West MI area are:

Closing:
Standale/Walker - Lake Michigan Dr. (starts closing on the 30th)
Alpine (currently closing)
Northland Dr. (currently closing/possibly closed)
Plainfield (closed within the past year I believe)
East Beltline (closed for quite awhile now)
^ I thought there was one or two more that were informed they were closing but can't remember which ones.

Remaining stores (for the time being):
36th/Burlingame
Hudsonville
Rockford

The other two stores that I am not sure about are Zeeland and 44th/Breton.

Also, as some people have said... If you have the Combo Pass you are eligible for 3 months of the mail service. I know I personally am going to sign up with the guy who I have always talked to the most since they get $5 for every person that they sign up for it.

[quote name='Rictor']I have only checked 2 locations recently, 86th St. in Nora (Indianapolis) and the Avon store, but they are both going out of business. The Avon store is the last Blockbuster on the west side of Indy. I imagine if I check the remaining stores on 56th St., Keystone, Noblesville, all or most of those are going out of business as well. There may be one on the east side still as well. Sad days...Blockbuster was always good for clearance deals and Buy 1 Get 1 Free...been getting deals at the Indy stores since I moved here 13 years ago.[/QUOTE]

I was planning on going out today to check on some of those. I've got some $5 GC's that I don't want to go to waste. It's amazing that with the dozen or so CAG's in the Indy area that we've had as good a run as we have had. Maybe we're not such a greedy bunch??? :)

Edit: BBV on S. Emerson is still open with no news (according to the lady there) of closing.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rictor']I have only checked 2 locations recently, 86th St. in Nora (Indianapolis) and the Avon store, but they are both going out of business. The Avon store is the last Blockbuster on the west side of Indy. I imagine if I check the remaining stores on 56th St., Keystone, Noblesville, all or most of those are going out of business as well. There may be one on the east side still as well. Sad days...Blockbuster was always good for clearance deals and Buy 1 Get 1 Free...been getting deals at the Indy stores since I moved here 13 years ago.[/QUOTE]

As of right now, only the three Indy locations (Avon, Brooks School, and 86th) are closing. Brooks School is now at 30% off with a pretty good selection. Picked up Deus Ex yesterday for $15. Last time they closed stores in the area, they moved some of the displaced employees to other stores, but doesn't look like they are doing that this time.

[quote name='akiefer']I was planning on going out today to check on some of those. I've got some $5 GC's that I don't want to go to waste. It's amazing that with the dozen or so CAG's in the Indy area that we've had as good a run as we have had. Maybe we're not such a greedy bunch??? :)

Edit: BBV on S. Emerson is still open with no news (according to the lady there) of closing.[/QUOTE]

I've always been very appreciative of the fact that the Indy Cags aren't hoarders or super-flippers. It's made these sales great for all of us over the past years.

Read this thread and went to check my blockbuster. Turns out mines ones of the next ones on the chopping block so they don't have the deal since everything in the store is for sale but every movie in the store blu-ray or DVD is $9.99 or under new or used (excluding new collectors edition DVD sets). Mine doesn't have crap PS3 wise anyway, only older games/games I already have/way over priced like Skate 2 $15, Infamous 2 $45?, Spiderman Ultimate Alliance $15, Saints Row 3 $50? I did start my blu-ray collection today though because of the good prices of all blu-rays under $10.

[quote name='NismoZ32']Read this thread and went to check my blockbuster. Turns out mines ones of the next ones on the chopping block so they don't have the deal since everything in the store is for sale but every movie in the store blu-ray or DVD is $9.99 or under new or used (excluding new collectors edition DVD sets). Mine doesn't have crap PS3 wise anyway, only older games/games I already have/way over priced like Skate 2 $15, Infamous 2 $45?, Spiderman Ultimate Alliance $15, Saints Row 3 $50? I did start my blu-ray collection today though because of the good prices of all blu-rays under $10.[/QUOTE]
Thing is, if you went there before they started the liquidation sales, then you could've picked up those Blu-Rays for $5 each with this sale instead of $10 each.:D

Also, I would kill to have some 'older' games that're halfway decent at any of my closer BBV stores at this point. A disc only copy of :ps3:Bionic Commando is about the only thing I might even consider picking up at my nearest store and even then I would probably pass due to it being disc only.:whistle2:#

Guys might want to check Engadget. They have a story on Blockbuster closing even more stores. According to story it could be every store in the chain that isn't making a profit.

Really hope my store doesn't close. Loving the combo pass.

[quote name='odd mr t']As of right now, only the three Indy locations (Avon, Brooks School, and 86th) are closing. Brooks School is now at 30% off with a pretty good selection. Picked up Deus Ex yesterday for $15. Last time they closed stores in the area, they moved some of the displaced employees to other stores, but doesn't look like they are doing that this time.[/QUOTE]

86th and Ditch location is closing? Doesn't suprise me...I don't think the rent on that spot comes cheaply.

I might have to make a trip to Fishers. I've never been up to that one. I'm running out of locations (S Meridian, 2 on E Washington, S East St, Crawfordsville Rd, W 10th St, Mann Rd all closed).

Is the one on 151st and Meridian (near Walmart) still open? I've heard it closed, but the BBV website says it's still there. The phone is ringing, but no one is picking up (or answering machine)...

[quote name='izpep']Guys might want to check Engadget. They have a story on Blockbuster closing even more stores. According to story it could be every store in the chain that isn't making a profit.

Really hope my store doesn't close. Loving the combo pass.[/QUOTE]
There goes the whole chain then, since as I've said multiple times the BBV stores around here are ghost towns 90-95% of the time.:whistle2:#

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Framed art goes to 90% off on Monday 1/16. Nothing else to report yet.[/QUOTE]
:bouncy: I'll have to check my local stores now.

Might actually pick one up. The only Framed Art my Blockbuster has that I actually considered buying is the Fight club one, not really a fan of the others, and the one we have has a giant scratch going right up the middle, so I passed on it at 75%.

Maybe I can get them to take it to 95% because of that scratch lol.

[quote name='Rslxxp']:bouncy: I'll have to check my local stores now.[/QUOTE]
I checked my closest store tonight and the only framed arts left were 2 blue n white Atari logo ones.:roll:

So much for grabbing some decent ones like I did last time when they went 90% off.:whistle2:#

I could never find any of the Mario Galaxy ones, even at 50% off. Those must have actually sold during Christmas. At 90 percent off, I'll buy up all of the little Disney ones they have (one store was totally loaded still on Wednesday)

On Thursday, one store had signs up at 50%. I asked if they would be 75% off. The girl, who was really nice went to ask and the guy she asked approached me and said that framed art is only 75% off at closing stores. I said this wasn't true and I've been at several stores which are not closing, but have the 75% off sale. He snapped, "50 percent at our store, 'kay bro?"

This is also the store that was responsible for my trade ban me because they found it inconcieveable that I'd be able to trade in three different games that were released six months prior and heavily insinuated I was a thief. I hope this store dies in a fire (with no one inside)

dont you love those happy employees! They could have called a store nearby to check but why help a customer. Iam having a similiar issue where 1 store has Just dance Summer Party, Dragon Age 2 and Pokepark STILL AT $19.99!!! I think at this point they think im lieing and they wont give me them at the $14.99 price. They can definitley call another store to verify...but again why help out a customer. AT this store they still scan even at $19.99....some bs if you ask me....

Or a few stores I go to I ask if they can look in there games behind the counter if they by any chance have some that are missing cases...and I get the "WHATEVER IS OUT IS OUT! ALL ARE GAMES ARE OUT!" At that point I want to bet them $100 bucks there is at least 1 game that is missing a case. I argued with one clerk who finally let me look and low and behold there were like 5 games right off the bat that were missing the cases, he then tryed to insist the cases were out there somewhere. fing moron....

I have found a TON of games that would never be sold if I didnt get to look at the games behind the counter....most of the stores I go to I also find games because they still have higher price tags. 1 store had WWE 2011 still marked at $39.99 but of course rang up $14.99. When i took them up they of course insisted they were not part of the sale...funny stuff.

It looks like your in MESA, AZ. Im in phoenix...I hit a bunch of mesa stores last week...which one banned you? I need to look out for them...lol. is it the one on power rd? they were rude when I went in there...

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I could never find any of the Mario Galaxy ones, even at 50% off. Those must have actually sold during Christmas. At 90 percent off, I'll buy up all of the little Disney ones they have (one store was totally loaded still on Wednesday)

On Thursday, one store had signs up at 50%. I asked if they would be 75% off. The girl, who was really nice went to ask and the guy she asked approached me and said that framed art is only 75% off at closing stores. I said this wasn't true and I've been at several stores which are not closing, but have the 75% off sale. He snapped, "50 percent at our store, 'kay bro?"

This is also the store that was responsible for my trade ban me because they found it inconcieveable that I'd be able to trade in three different games that were released six months prior and heavily insinuated I was a thief. I hope this store dies in a fire (with no one inside)[/QUOTE]
What a dick... I gotta love when I came up to the counter with $16.99 blus and $19.99 games and they were adamantly saying "oh these aren't part of the sale, only stuff below $14.99" and the shock on their face when I tell them to scan them and it is under $14.99. One employee responded, "It's pretty bad that the customer has to tell us the price is marked wrong." Another actually asked how I knew about the price drops and I told them about CAG and Blu-ray.com. :D

I cleaned out most stores that had pokepark the one store in scottsdale that has it still wont drop it from $19.99, so they are the only one left that does as far as I know....I think I hit val vista and elliot....they are idiots....

bread's done
Back