The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hawaiiboy']No they're not the prepacks that we used to get in. They just resurfaced them (not very well) and sent them to stores with the regular cover art.

Just found out today my store is closing. It was fun while it lasted.[/QUOTE]

Really sorry to hear that... Thank you for all you've done for us. You should be considered a legend on this site.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']No they're not the prepacks that we used to get in. They just resurfaced them (not very well) and sent them to stores with the regular cover art.

Sorry to hear it. You've contributed a lot to CAG and I've gotten some good deals because of your posting. It's been appreciated.
Hope you bounce back quick.

I am very sorry to hear this. I wish you luck in finding a much better and higher paying job.

Damn, best of luck man. Thanks for all the helpful info over the years!

[quote name='Velo214']oh man. you are the reason i ever went to blockbuster. thanks for everything man.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^ this...

Thank you HB for all the free time you spent so I could be lazy and still get the awesome deals!

Seriously, thanks for everything you've done hawaiiboy. I scored some great deals due to you letting me know ahead of time when a sale would start. Your updates will be missed.

Sorry to hear it. Loved popping into this thread.

On another note. I stopped by a BB to check out if they got refurbished games in and they did. Lots of them but they were just multiples of the stuff every BB has. When I left though I bought two sodas and the employee would not stop bitching about BB not getting the paychecks to them today. Not sure if this is a sign of things to come for the company.

Just want to reiterate what everyone else is saying, HB. Thanks a million for contributing to this thread and to CAG. Mahalo plenty.
Hope a better job is headed your way.

Sorry to hear that HB. Ive picked up tons of games on the cheap because of you and way more than any other place.

And really, you were the first person I saw on this site that would give insider information cause you worked there.

Really hate to hear that, hawaii. I echo the sentiments expressed by some of the others. Your info has been really helpful throughout the years.

Sorry to hear your store is closing HB. Can't thank you enough for all the great game and movie deals I was able to score thanks to your diligence and willingness to provide info. Best wishes in your future endeavors.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']For some reason I'm curious...what's the new job?[/QUOTE]

It's a research and data entry job for a real estate company. Basically a desk job but with better conditions and pay.

Sorry to hear that, man. Thank you for all your contributions, you're definitely one of this community's best. Good luck to you in all your future endeavors!

Sorry about the bad news HB, but thanks for running this thread and giving us the inside scoop of BBV deals. Hope you'll find a new job soon.

Thanks for everything HB, and best of luck.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Just found out today my store is closing. It was fun while it lasted.[/QUOTE]

Sorry :cry:

Thanks Hawaiiboy for all your work and updates, we wish you luck!

Sorry to hear your store is closing, Hawaiiboy. Good luck in all your future endeavors and thanks for all of the updates over the years. It was always hilarious going into BBV and knowing more than the employees on upcoming sales thanks to our man on the inside here on CAG.;)

Thanks HB for everything you brought to the thread. It really was amazingly good of you to keep us all updated on deals and give us the heads up on what's going on at Blockbuster. Good luck at finding another job.

Had to log to say how much I appreciated all your help in this thread. Thanks HB!

I still have 3 reasonably close BBV (my long time store closed already) ... it's only a matter of time.

Thanks everyone appreciate all the support. I may have something else already lined up though not in the video game business.

We will be closing our doors in mid jun.

I don't think it's another round of closings but whenever a lease is up that'll be it for that store. Our store was always a high revenue store so money has little or nothing to do with whether a store stays or goes.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Thanks everyone appreciate all the support. I may have something else already lined up though not in the video game business.

We will be closing our doors in mid jun.

I don't think it's another round of closings but whenever a lease is up that'll be it for that store. Our store was always a high revenue store so money has little or nothing to do with whether a store stays or goes.[/QUOTE]
So wait, they're closing stores whenever the leases expire on them now? Does this apply to all of the remaining BBV stores or just ones that Dish may consider unprofitable? If it applies to ALL stores, then I think maybe I'll have to find out when the lease is up on my closest store.:whistle2:#

I don't know for sure that's just my personal opinion on store closures from now on. They are closing 2 more stores in my area and both of the leases happened to be up.

Yikes. I know one of the guys from my closest BBV just left cuz I guess they trained the one other rep there to shill for the Dish service and were cutting his hours to ridiculously low levels. I just hope that the lease thing turns out to be false, since I only have 3 local stores left.:whistle2:#

Sorry to hear about your job, I'm glad you have another one lined up for yourself.
Wanted to say thanks for all of your help, you've helped me save a lot of money and I guarantee you I would of never stepped foot inside a blockbuster without the info you provided for us.

I was hoping your store would be spared HB. :( Sorry to hear HB. Thanks for all your contributions to this thread even after many of us had given up on BBV.

I wish you the best of luck in future endeavors.

It kinda reminds me of when Circuit City gave up the ghost and our man inside (Speedy I believe?) also was in the same situation.

I hope the opportunity you spoke of comes to fruition and you don't skip a beat.

HB. Thanks for all the time, effort and energy you put into this thread so that the rest of us could benefit. Good luck with whatever comes next buddy!

HB - a little late to the party, but I (and my two boys) also offer thanks for the wealth of information that you supplied to us and the best of luck to you going forward.

It's people like you that make this site as successful and as enjoyable as it is. :applause:

Sorry to hear about the job, HB, and the best of luck on your next endeavor. You have truly been one of the best and most consistent 'insiders' I can remember as long as I've been on CAG.

Look at it this way: it's probably a good time to get away from that company, anyway; their future doesn't seem too bright. You're obviously a smart guy, so you'll land on your feet, and most likely, in a better job.

HB Thanks for everything! For the past few years I have been able to add a lot of great games to my collection from your contributions to the CAG community. Best of luck to you.

bread's done
Back